With the 53rd pick the Bengals select DE Margus Hunt

Keenan Allen falling big-time probably because his knee is still recovering. He would be a steal. Possibly the best WR in TE draft.

Some good centers still available. Including Barrett Jones and the guy from Cal.

And for of those obsessed with safety, I said before the draft that he third round is the earliest the bengals would look at taking a safety. So get ready. I said the same thing about LB.

You seriously don't think that the Bengals weren't looking at both Vaccaro and Reid at 21? No doubt in my mind that the Bengals were the team the 49ers were trying to jump for Reid. You don't get to boast about being right if the safeties are long gone. Get a grip.

Bengals add DE Margus Hunt to already strong defensive line

Posted by Mike Wilkening on April 26, 2013, 8:34 PM EDT
margus-hunt.jpg?w=133AP

The Bengals added another talented performer to their loaded defensive line, selecting Southern Methodist defensive endMargus Hunt with the No. 53 overall pick on Friday night.

A native of Estonia, Hunt (6-8, 277) was a champion shot put and discus thrower and set the junior world record in the discus. He took up football at SMU in 2009, where he garnered notice for his unique skill set. Hunt, who notched eight sacks as a senior at SMU, blocked 17 kicks — an NCAA record — at SMU.

Hunt, who will be 26 in his rookie season, could project to left end in Cincinnati. The Bengals are already deep at end, with Carlos DunlapMichael Johnson,Robert Geathers and Wallace Gilberry among the veteran options. Hunt figures to work closely with Bengals DL coach Jay Hayes as he tries to learn the finer points of the pro game.

The Bengals have built a superior defensive line without using a single first-round pick to build the group. Time will tell if Hunt is another success story, but say this for the Bengals — they clearly understand the value of a deep defensive line, and they clearly have had a knack for evaluating and coaching linemen. Now they have the luxury of patience as they turn their attention to molding Hunt.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/26/bengals-add-de-margus-hunt-to-already-strong-defensive-line/

Joe Reedy ‏@joereedy21m
Hunt: "I enjoy the physicality of the game and being able to dominate people at the line of scrimmage."I'd much rather go Shamarko than Phillip if they take a Thomas.  Shamarko is much better in coverage and can play man (go watch him guard robert woods)

He's a poor man's Bob Sanders to me... Fast, physical guy.

I like the pick. Athletic freak at the DE position who is a kick blocking machine. Showed improvement from a football aspect with 8 sacks last season. He'll be 26 soon so that's a minus but if this guy can block the occasional kick, knock a pass or 2 down at the LOS, and get you a couple sacks as a rotational DE then this pick is a success.

After two offensive picks, the Bengals went defense with their second choice in the second round Friday night when they  opted for 26-year-old SMU end Margus Hunt, a native Estonian and former discus and shot put thrower that walked on just a few years ago.

But the 6-8, 277-pound Hunt has immense measurables (4.74-second 40-yard dash) and may have the ability to move inside on the pass rush. With right end Michael Johnson working on a one-year franchise deal, the Bengals may need to fill that spot.

NFL Network's Mike Mayock saluted the pick because of Hunt's versatility and what he callas his huge upside. He also gives special teams coach Darrin Simmons an intriguing option. He earned the nickname, "The Eastern Block," because he blocked 17 field goals during his career. 

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-go-defense-with-SMU-DE-Hunt-at-No-53/81c5aec9-a9f2-49da-be90-b477f6deeb1e

get real, mike had 17 1/2 TFL to go along with those other numbers he dwarfed, despite being one of the most targeted DE in NCAA that year. i'm not buying any of that talk. sell it to someone else.

Bengals’ second-round pick has great back story 

By Jay Morrison | Friday, April 26, 2013, 09:40 PM 

The Cincinnati Bengals used their two second-round picks on the oldest player in the draft and one of the youngest. 

With the fifth pick in the second round and 37th overall, the Bengals found the change-of-pace running back they have been searching for in North Carolina’s Giovani Bernard, a 21-year-old redshirt sophomore who declared early for the draft. 

Sixteen picks later, Cincinnati added SMU defensive end Margus Hunt, a 25-year-old Estonia native with two years of military service under his belt and athletic ability that can only be described as “freakish.” 

“He’s a tremendous, tremendous athlete who has a great story that comes with him,” Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said of Hunt, a 6-foot-8, 277-pounder who is a former world junior record holder in the discus. 

Hunt ran a 4.6 40-yard dash and benched 225 pounds 38 times at the NFL Combine, but he has only been playing football since his sophomore year in college when SMU cut its track program. 

But with the depth, and talent, the Bengals have on the defensive line, they can afford to take their time developing Hunt. 

“He obviously doesn’t have to roll out there as a first-day starter,” Lewis said. “He goes into a great room. There can’t be a better spot to go into with veteran players who know how to work and how to do things.” 

Hunt also blocked 17 kicks in college and taught himself English by watching “Friends” and action movies. 

“He can run like a deer, he’s got great strength, we’ve just got to point him in the right direction,” Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer said. “He has as good of a get-off - getting off the football - as anybody I’ve seen in this draft.” 

Asked if he could have ever imagined being a second-round draft pick when he joined the football team four years ago, Hunt said, “Absolutely not. When I got into it, it was just a way to stay at SMU. I wanted to put that scholarship in full use and really learn the game of football.” 

The 5-foot-9, 206-pound Bernard is a speed back whose versatility makes him another offensive threat, joining tight end Tyler Eifert, whom the Bengals drafted in Thursday’s first round. 

“He brings a dynamic of catching the football, running the football,” Lewis said. “We feel like he will add another great weapon to our offense.” 

The son of Haitian immigrants, Bernard recorded the third-highest rushing performance in UNC history with 1,253 yards as a freshman. He came close to matching that last year, finishing with 1,228. 

He was the first running back selected in the draft, which he said surprised him. 

“I obviously believe in the gifts that God gave me, but at the same time there are a lot of great backs out there,” Bernard said. “I knew the Bengals were one of the teams that was definitely considering me. I’m obviously happy. I’m thrilled to be a Bengal now, and I’m excited to get this thing rolling and get back on the field.”

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/bengals/entries/2013/04/26/bengals_secondround_pick_has_g.html/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

DRAFT ANALYSIS:

"I think what he brings to the table is positional versatility, and I love the fact the Bengals are taking him. He can play inside. He can play outside." -- Mike Mayock

• 6'8"HEIGHT
  • 33 3/4"ARM LENGTH
  • 277LBS.WEIGHT
  • 10"HANDS
OVERVIEW

Estonia has not been a fertile scouting ground for the NFL in the past, but teams might consider going abroad more consistently if they can find talents like Hunt. His name first appeared on the international athletic scene after he won gold medals in both the shot put and discus events at the 2006 World Junior Track and Field Championships in Beijing. Hunt, who also won the 2005 European Junior discus title, was the first junior ever to pull off that double.

Hunt arrived at SMU in 2007, working with track and field coach Dave Wollman with the hopes they would revive the previously cut mens program. That didnt come through, so he decided to turn his attention to the football field. He made his name on special teams in his first year with the Mustangs, blocking seven kicks (one short of the NCAA record). Hunt had eight tackles in 13 games, including a sack against Nevada in the teams Hawaii Bowl victory. He started all 13 games as a sophomore, registering 6.5 tackles for loss, three sacks, and three blocked kicks. And though he started just two of the 13 games in which he played in 2011, his three-sack effort in the BBVA Compass Bowl win over Pittsburgh made scouts take notice. He also blocked four more kicks, giving him 14 in his career - including an NCAA career record nine field goals.

Following his breakout bowl performance, Hunt earned the number one spot in Bruce Feldmans Annual Freak List, noting Hunts incredible combination of size, length, and speed. He took over a starting role at defensive end for SMU his senior year. His knack for blocking kicks continued, ending his career with 17 total, two short of the NCAA record. He accumulated 31 tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss, eight sacks, and one interception on his way to earning first team All-Conference USA honors. He has displayed impressive progression through his career and figures to be heavily coveted by 3-4 teams to play defensive end.

ANALYSIS STRENGTHS  Tall, thick but athletic lineman with loads of potential. Much quicker than youd expect off the snap given his size, and his long first step helps him pressure the outside shoulder of tackles when outside and win the gap at three-technique. Shows the ability to anchor from both the 3-tech and 5-tech spots. Has the speed to run the arm and beat tackles off the edge. Fast and strong hands stun his man, extends his arms to keep leverage. Uses his length very well to keep blockers off his body. Plays contain well on the edge, pops off his block and swallows backs with his strong upper body. Long strides eat a lot of grass when closing to the quarterback. Good closing speed. Will chase plays downfield. Height and length allow him to affect quarterbacks vision when unable to reach him; they also make him an ideal interior player on the field goal block team. Flashes the ability to come off the ball hard and low in short-yardage situations despite his height. Good natural strength can anchor and shed even when he loses the leverage battle. Varies the tempo of his pass rush well once the offensive line overplays his speed rush.

WEAKNESSES  Must be cognizant to play with bend due to his height, pops up off the snap and will stand upright during the play if tired, losing leverage. Agile for his size, but is still a linear athlete with questionable change of direction and flexibility. More mobile quarterbacks and quick running backs will elude him in the backfield. Turning the corner on his initial pass rush is a chore due to his bulk. Still learning the game, must find the ball consistently. Older than most prospects (will be 25). Doesn't bring his body when he tackles and subsequently misses a lot. Ineffective bull rush due to not playing with leverage and lacks counters when his initial move fails.

NFL COMPARISON  Calais Campbell

BOTTOM LINE

Hunt initially moved to the United States from his native Estonia to further his amateur track career (he won gold medals in the shot put and discus at the 2006 World Junior Championships). Now the 25 year-old uses his elite size/athleticism combination to make an impact on defense (three sacks in the BVAA Compass Bowl against Pittsburgh to finish off 2011, a sack and two forced fumbles against Fresno in the Hawaii Bowl) and special teams (17 blocked kicks in four years). Fulfilling his potential as a starting NFL five-technique defensive end as a senior could land him in the top half of the first round in April.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/margus-hunt?id=2539310

Bengals’ second-round pick has great back story 

By Jay Morrison | Friday, April 26, 2013, 09:40 PM 

The Cincinnati Bengals used their two second-round picks on the oldest player in the draft and one of the youngest. 

With the fifth pick in the second round and 37th overall, the Bengals found the change-of-pace running back they have been searching for in North Carolina’s Giovani Bernard, a 21-year-old redshirt sophomore who declared early for the draft. 

Sixteen picks later, Cincinnati added SMU defensive end Margus Hunt, a 25-year-old Estonia native with two years of military service under his belt and athletic ability that can only be described as “freakish.” 

“He’s a tremendous, tremendous athlete who has a great story that comes with him,” Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said of Hunt, a 6-foot-8, 277-pounder who is a former world junior record holder in the discus. 

Hunt ran a 4.6 40-yard dash and benched 225 pounds 38 times at the NFL Combine, but he has only been playing football since his sophomore year in college when SMU cut its track program. 

But with the depth, and talent, the Bengals have on the defensive line, they can afford to take their time developing Hunt. 

“He obviously doesn’t have to roll out there as a first-day starter,” Lewis said. “He goes into a great room. There can’t be a better spot to go into with veteran players who know how to work and how to do things.” 

Hunt also blocked 17 kicks in college and taught himself English by watching “Friends” and action movies. 

“He can run like a deer, he’s got great strength, we’ve just got to point him in the right direction,” Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer said. “He has as good of a get-off - getting off the football - as anybody I’ve seen in this draft.” 

Asked if he could have ever imagined being a second-round draft pick when he joined the football team four years ago, Hunt said, “Absolutely not. When I got into it, it was just a way to stay at SMU. I wanted to put that scholarship in full use and really learn the game of football.” 

The 5-foot-9, 206-pound Bernard is a speed back whose versatility makes him another offensive threat, joining tight end Tyler Eifert, whom the Bengals drafted in Thursday’s first round. 

“He brings a dynamic of catching the football, running the football,” Lewis said. “We feel like he will add another great weapon to our offense.” 

The son of Haitian immigrants, Bernard recorded the third-highest rushing performance in UNC history with 1,253 yards as a freshman. He came close to matching that last year, finishing with 1,228. 

He was the first running back selected in the draft, which he said surprised him. 

“I obviously believe in the gifts that God gave me, but at the same time there are a lot of great backs out there,” Bernard said. “I knew the Bengals were one of the teams that was definitely considering me. I’m obviously happy. I’m thrilled to be a Bengal now, and I’m excited to get this thing rolling and get back on the field.”

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/bengals/entries/2013/04/26/bengals_secondround_pick_has_g.html/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Dude must have viking blood in him.

A man 6'8" doing 38 reps of 225 lbs. is fucking unbelievable.

The bengals are not going to pay Dunlap and Johnson both 10+ million a year. This proves geno is their top priority for a long term deal. Whoever doesn't sign just me their replacement

Dunlap is good,and getting better, but he hasn't yet earned a 10 mil a year pay day. Not even close.

Archived