With the 53rd pick the Bengals select DE Margus Hunt

I've thought a lot about this pick and here's why I don't like it.  He'll be 26 this season and he's not expected to contribute right away.  If this was a 5th or 6th round pick, great.  In the second round shouldn't we get someone who won't be third on the depth chart?  I guess when the round you're taken in is higher than the place on the depth chart is where you're expected to compete, I have a slight issue.

With that being said, this regime has done well drafting over the past five years and they've forgotten more about football than I'll ever know.  I hope Hunt is able to contribute and justify being taken so high in the draft.  I get taking BPA, but doing that blindly without considering your current roster situation is silly.  Let's hope Arthur Brown, who would have probably ended up starting, is a bust.

Love the kick blocking thing but if he is raw elsewhere can we keep him active just for that role in special teams?

Well, if he couldn't block kicks his chances at being active would be considerably less.  It depends how things shake out in the season, or if someone gets nicked up ahead of him.  In general the idea seems to bring him along slowly.

I've thought a lot about this pick and here's why I don't like it.  He'll be 26 this season and he's not expected to contribute right away.  If this was a 5th or 6th round pick, great.  In the second round shouldn't we get someone who won't be third on the depth chart?  I guess when the round you're taken in is higher than the place on the depth chart is where you're expected to compete, I have a slight issue.

With that being said, this regime has done well drafting over the past five years and they've forgotten more about football than I'll ever know.  I hope Hunt is able to contribute and justify being taken so high in the draft.  I get taking BPA, but doing that blindly without considering your current roster situation is silly.  Let's hope Arthur Brown, who would have probably ended up starting, is a bust.

DL can play well into their thirties, and he has no football wear and tear at all.  

Arthur Brown would not have started this year, barring major injuries.  Harrison-RayM-Burfict is the plan.

right, but you ignore that they have the luxury of sitting him for a year.  They're already 4 deep at DE.  You "redshirt" him year one to work on technique and you've got a 27yr old monster in 2014.  For a guy who's played very little football, you can get at least 5-6 very good years out of him once he learns technique.

DL can play well into their thirties, and he has no football wear and tear at all.  

Arthur Brown would not have started this year, barring major injuries.  Harrison-RayM-Burfict is the plan.

After training camp I think Brown would have started over Rey, but we'll never know. Also he would have AT LEAST been 2nd string and active every week.

right, but you ignore that they have the luxury of sitting him for a year.  They're already 4 deep at DE.  You "redshirt" him year one to work on technique and you've got a 27yr old monster in 2014.  For a guy who's played very little football, you can get at least 5-6 very good years out of him once he learns technique.

And your not forced to pay both Dunlap and Johnson next year and he is strong enough to be a Base end which extends your career because its based less on athleticism.

After training camp I think Brown would have started over Rey, but we'll never know. Also he would have AT LEAST been 2nd string and active every week.

And now he's a Rat...and probably ticketed for a Pro Bowl or two.

But he can't block kicks or throw a shot put.

per espn

• What he brings: Hunt is a huge, freakish athlete who is still developing as a football player. The level of competition he faced late in 2012 is questionable, but it's tough to deny the strides he made, especially as a pass-rusher. He is strong enough to get off blocks and fast enough to chase backs down from behind. And with his length, leaping ability and timing makes him a terror both in terms of affecting passing lanes and blocking kicks.

How he fits: The Bengals love to have a deep rotation in their defensive line. That unit was terrific last season, and everybody is back. This didn't appear to be a critical need, but Hunt is an interesting pick. He's somewhat of a raw player with limited experience who will have time to develop behind solid veterans. Hunt also has some versatility as a player who fits best as a 4-3 edge rusher, but he could even move down inside in nickel situations as a one-gap penetrator. While he's learning the nuances of the defensive end position, he could make an immediate contribution on special teams as a kick blocker. This is a developmental value pick.

what do you mean? you'd HAVE to keep him active. if you didn't, he'd be grabbed up in 10 minutes.

Each week several players are not active. They go on the inactive list. We did this plenty of times last year with Devon Still and Thompson. We rarely if ever have had 9 active DL on game day.

Zimmer also claims he was more productive in college than Michael Johnson was.

that's not what he said. go back and listen to the video again. i argued this point with another poster earlier.

he said "michael was not as productive as HE IS NOW. he (michael) had great MEASURABLES also, maybe not as great as margus does." etc, etc, etc

in a nutshell he was saying margus reminded him of mike. just like mike has developed, he expects margus will do the same.

that's not what he said. go back and listen to the video again. i argued this point with another poster earlier.

he said "michael was not as productive as HE IS NOW. he (michael) had great MEASURABLES also, maybe not as great as margus does." etc, etc, etc

in a nutshell he was saying margus reminded him of mike. just like mike has developed, he expects margus will do the same.

Zimmer: "I'd hate to say he reminds me of Michael Johnson coming out but Michael wasn't as productive coming out of college."

Archived