With the 53rd pick the Bengals select DE Margus Hunt

We’re not counting on him to come in and be the starter right away, but that was why we liked him. That’s not what we were looking for; we were looking for a guy that we can hit a home run on.”

This is an interesting quote from Zimmer. Gives the impression that they thought they had one extra pick to kind of "gamble" on. Swing for the fences knowing you may strike out or may hit a home run.

I'm fine with the approach, but I think it does imply that there is a higher "bust factor" with this type of pick than when you are taking a guy with lower upside but also a higher floor as well (Arthur Brown, etc.).

We’re not counting on him to come in and be the starter right away, but that was why we liked him. That’s not what we were looking for; we were looking for a guy that we can hit a home run on.”

This is an interesting quote from Zimmer. Gives the impression that they thought they had one extra pick to kind of "gamble" on. Swing for the fences knowing you may strike out or may hit a home run.

I'm fine with the approach, but I think it does imply that there is a higher "bust factor" with this type of pick than when you are taking a guy with lower upside but also a higher floor as well (Arthur Brown, etc.).

To me there is a greater bust factor with a guy who has tremendous physical skills but doesn't always play hard. The effort from Hunt is great as he plays hard every single snap. I thought there was a higher bust factor with Michael Johnson and Carlos Dunlap because they didn't always play hard in college. The bust factor for MJ was probably higher for MJ because not only was the effort not always there, but he was brought in to player LB primarily.

Hunt is a guy with great physical tools, great effort...all he needs is to be taught technique from the floor up. But that also means no bad habits to break. In that sense he seems like less of a risk than it seems on the surface. Despite his lack of football knowledge, Hunt would have still been a first round draft choice if he was the normal age coming out of college.

I wouldn't say they felt it was a pick they could "gamble on" as much as they thought it was a pick "they could use on a guy for the future."

In other words they liked his future value more than any player available's immediate value.

If they hadn't done such a good job going into the draft with so few holes, I don't think this pick is possible.

To me there is a greater bust factor with a guy who has tremendous physical skills but doesn't always play hard. The effort from Hunt is great as he plays hard every single snap. I thought there was a higher bust factor with Michael Johnson and Carlos Dunlap because they didn't always play hard in college. The bust factor for MJ was probably higher for MJ because not only was the effort not always there, but he was brought in to player LB primarily.

Hunt is a guy with great physical tools, great effort...all he needs is to be taught technique from the floor up. But that also means no bad habits to break. In that sense he seems like less of a risk than it seems on the surface. Despite his lack of football knowledge, Hunt would have still been a first round draft choice if he was the normal age coming out of college.

And the best thing about our D-Line now is that it's anchored by try-hard, high-effort guys.  Slacking won't be tolerated by the room.

Yeah, that was something I noticed on the Hunt videos.  Even on the times he did not make the play, he was hustling.  I didn't see him take any plays off.

Only thought that came to mind with this pick was that Johnson or Dunlap is likely gone after this season.  It was probably going to happen anyway so I'm glad the Bengals are being proactive with finding a replacement in advance.  I don't see them spending a 2nd rounder on a guy that isn't expected to compete to start, even if it isn't this year.

This guy isn't MJ or Dunlap. He does not have the abilities of either. "Upside" is speculative. Nice draft pick..intriguing skill set potentials. Green as grass. Let's not go overboard when talking about him overtaking the guys already here.  

The Bengals will not let either go..and for damn sure not MJ.   

This guy isn't MJ or Dunlap. He does not have the abilities of either. "Upside" is speculative. Nice draft pick..intriguing skill set potentials. Green as grass. Let's not go overboard when talking about him overtaking the guys already here.  

The Bengals have let several "franchise" players leave in recent years, notably Justin Smith, Stacy Andrews, and Shane Graham.  I see it as a numbers game.  It's going to be tough to give large dollar extensions to both MJ and Dunlap when they also have to worry about Geno and then AJ and Andy the next season.  Just how I'm reading the team leaves.  I would agree that the more likely to leave would be Dunlap.  He is probably more talented but it hasn't shown up fully on the field, while MJ has seemingly gotten better every year.

Not sure I understand what you mean by "abilities." If you are talking about physical skills, Hunt's measurables actually exceed both MJ and Dunlap at the same stage...no small task since both of those guys are immensely talented.  Hunt is slightly over 6-8 and ran a 4.6 forty at the combine. And if that isn't enough, he's also strong as an ox and has an amazing wingspan. Someone could actually make a case that Hunt from day one will be the freakiest physical specimen in the league. Where he is lacking is in football I.Q. I thought that quote from Zimmer was quite telling: the coaches will have to point him in the right direction. That tells you how raw his is, but also how much ability he has plus also how much effort he puts into a game.

And Marvin said in the post-draft press conference that the Bengals(nor any other team) can afford to pay all of their starters top dollar. So you have to get ready to replenish your roster with new potential starters waiting in the wings.

Only thought that came to mind with this pick was that Johnson or Dunlap is likely gone after this season.  It was probably going to happen anyway so I'm glad the Bengals are being proactive with finding a replacement in advance.  I don't see them spending a 2nd rounder on a guy that isn't expected to compete to start, even if it isn't this year.

I'm not sold on that yet.  They still have time to negotiate a contract with MJ, and Dunlap hasn't done enough yet to earn a huge payday.  As of now I see no reason why all 3 won't be here next year.

Now, if Dunlap has a 12+ sack season in 2013 that may change.

I'm not sold on that yet.  They still have time to negotiate a contract with MK, and Dunlap hasn't done enough yet to earn a huge payday.  As of now I see no reason why all 3 won't be here next year.

Now, if Dunlap has a 12+ sack season in 2013 that may change.

I'm inclined to believe we'll offer them both very similar, if not identical contracts. First one to sign stays.

While the Bengals can afford to keep both, I would be surprised if one didn't see/value himself as the top FA DE in 2014 and was willing to see what the market has to offer. I think the Bengals are prepared to move one without one. At that point they'll have the other guy and Geno recently extended, with AJ, Andy, and Gresh on the horizon...plus this guy. Makes sense IMO.

I'm inclined to believe we'll offer them both very similar, if not identical contracts. First one to sign stays.

While the Bengals can afford to keep both, I would be surprised if one didn't see/value himself as the top FA DE in 2014 and was willing to see what the market has to offer. I think the Bengals are prepared to move one without one. At that point they'll have the other guy and Geno recently extended, with AJ, Andy, and Gresh on the horizon...plus this guy. Makes sense IMO.

I'll be surprised if one of them doesn't have a longterm contract before the season starts.

I'll be surprised if one of them doesn't have a longterm contract before the season starts.

When talking about MJ, Dunlap and Atkins.....if you go into next year with zero signed to long term deals, this off season is massive failure. 1 signed to a long term deal, break even. 2 is a huge success since you can franchise the other. Somehow sign all 3 to reasonable deals and this could probably be considered the greatest offseason in team history. 

Dunlap hasn't earned "Top Dollar" yet.

and that's fine, now he either stays healthy and produces or he gets replaced...and if he stays healthy and produces, they probably won't be able to afford him and sign Geno and MJ too...they're covered either way.

I just don't see how they can sign all three of Geno, Dunlap and MJ....everybody can't get top dollar, it's impossible.

You can get three guys on each side to 10-12 a year. So it's possible, but hard to see. You'd like to be able to get all three for about 27 mill. That difference pays for a safety or a solid linebacker(Burfict). I'll hit you guys with a hypothetical: would you be willing to sign Geno to a 4/36 with all of it guaranteed?

Yeah, in spite of the heat the Bengals tend to get or not making a splash in free agency (the success rate of which is extremely questionable anyway), they have under Marvin managed to resign or extend most of "their guys".And with the way the Bengals have been drafting in the last several years, I am totally okay with that approach. I'm surprised people keep mentioning Dunlap, MJ, etc when to me it's Geathers that is on the chopping block if Hunt becomes a beast.

There is a right time and place for contract negotiations. Neither side should jump the gun until they have a solid sense of the strength of their respective negotiating position. When each side believes it has sufficient evidence/ammunition to support its view on value, then generally the parties come together. Lots of ducks in a row for each side and that takes time. We've just seen what happens when a player/agent misjudges their timing and demands. For management, it's a good practice to have some "stock in the warehouse" not only for the purposes of organizational continuity, but also to support their negotiating position.

What will be, will be. From my perspective as a fan, I'm just super happy that there are lots of talented players on this team who will be able to justify asking for top dollar when their time comes. Likewise, I'm super happy that team management has finally gotten good enough to keep finding players which will eventually make those demands. It's a great problem to have.

It's possible that the Bengals are in the process of "flipping" their character in this sense: Once upon a time players left because they didn't want to be in Cincy; in the future we may have to lose a good player or two because sound organizational management requires it. You would like to keep all the deserving ones, but you can't. And if you are a good bossman, then you accept that and wish the other fellow all the success in the world. But you don't sacrifice or damage your blueprint for the future health of the organization as a whole.

Archived