With the 53rd pick the Bengals select DE Margus Hunt

Thing about Dunlap is when he is healthy and on his game dude dominates even more the Atkins.

Nobody on the line is ever consistent like Geno. Peko is average/above average, Johnson is consistently above average and Dunlap has been consistently injured.

Can't compare Geno vs Dunlap IMO.

Thing about Dunlap is when he is healthy and on his game dude dominates even more the Atkins.

If there is one thing this Bengals regime has emphasized, it's dependability. Carlos has yet to be dependable.

Maybe, but could he do what he does if Atkins wasn't in at the same time though? I think Geno makes everyone around him look so much better ( MJ should have sent a thank you card when he signed his franchise tender) that its hard to tell what the DE's would do without him. Put them both on their own and I'd say Geno is twice as good as Carlos. Geno is likely the best DT in the league, and Carlos may not even be the best DE on our team....

Maybe, but could he do what he does if Atkins wasn't in at the same time though? I think Geno makes everyone around him look so much better ( MJ should have sent a thank you card when he signed his franchise tender) that its hard to tell what the DE's would do without him. Put them both on their own and I'd say Geno is twice as good as Carlos. Geno is likely the best DT in the league, and Carlos may not even be the best DE on our team....

Writing is on the wall for him.  If Margus shows he can play, and it is likely he can, it is probable that Dunlap is not going to be kept at the salary he wants with a couple of hungry people behind him.  I'm looking forward to the preseason to see where they line up Margus Hunt, Stills, and Thompson.  This will likely disclose some future alignments for the Defensive line in the rotation.  Plus, where does the extra money and franchise tag go next year?  You can't keep paying a DE like MJ 11M a year.  I hope we see some signings prior to camp as this will be a good move on managements part for the future.  Pretty sure Geno needs to be paid soon and it will hopefully be this year with a long term contract.  MJ too.  Either player signed long term would be some really good news in Bengaland for the off season.  Only three more months to go till the Aug 8th game on ESPN in primtime with the Falcons.     

Bengals begin the Margus Hunt project
May, 10, 2013

By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

The Cincinnati Bengals start their rookie minicamp on Friday, which means it's time for the Margus Hunt project to officially begin.

Selected in the second round by the Bengals, Hunt is the AFC North's most intriguing draft pick this year. He's the defensive end out of Southern Methodist who has little football experience and a huge amount of athletic ability.

A native of Estonia, Hunt came to the United States to train for the 2012 Olympics (he's a world-class shot put and discus thrower) and ended up being the 53rd player taken in this year's draft. He didn't start playing football until 2009 and he learned the game by playing the Madden video game. In some respects, Hunt is the type of player you would only believe existed in a video game.

At 6 feet 8, 277 pounds, Hunt has unreal size, strength and speed. He ran the 40-yard dash at the NFL scouting combine in 4.6 seconds, the same time as outside linebacker Dion Jordan, a first-round pick who is nearly 30 pounds lighter than Hunt. He also recorded 38 reps on the bench press, the same number as defensive tackle Star Lotulelei, the first-round pick who is 34 pounds heavier than Hunt.

It's this ability that makes Hunt such a wild card on the Bengals' already stacked defensive line. He has the speed to rush the passer coming off the edge. He has the power to line up inside and collapse the pocket up the middle.

"When you watch him on tape, it’s not all the time you see it, but there are enough flashes that you see where you go, ‘Wow, this guy can really run, he can accelerate, he’s got strength’ -- all the things that you’re looking for," defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer said. "That’s why this is a good situation for us and for him -- we can teach him how we want it done, and he’s going to learn a new defense a little bit. Defensive line is defensive line, but it’s a little different techniques, and I think we can use his ability in our system a little bit better.”

So, why did Hunt last until the second round? There has been criticism that he plays too tall, that he doesn't dominate physically and that he isn't a great tackler. There's also the fact Hunt turns 26 in July.

"Football-wise, he’s about 12," Zimmer said with a laugh. "But he’s an exceptionally hard worker. I don’t want us to sound like he’s just learning the game, because he’s a good prospect. But he’s just learning more and more about it. He plays really hard. We were watching tape today, and I said to Jay (Gruden, offensive coordinator), when he cleared a couple offensive linemen, his acceleration to the quarterback was as good as I’ve seen from anybody. So he has a lot of things he does really, really well.”

Hunt is certainly well-rounded. He finished second in NCAA history with 17 total blocked kicks. He can play the piano. He even learned to speak English by watching action films like "Gone in Sixty Seconds." Hopefully, for the Bengals' sake, Hunt ends up with more hits than what Nicolas Cage has produced recently.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/70120/bengals-begin-the-margus-hunt-project

When something is quoted as above from an article, it looks like you can't quote it in a reply.  So I'll just cut and paste the bit that's most notable:

"When you watch him on tape, it’s not all the time you see it, but there are enough flashes that you see where you go, ‘Wow, this guy can really run, he can accelerate, he’s got strength’ -- all the things that you’re looking for," defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer said. "That’s why this is a good situation for us and for him -- we can teach him how we want it done, and he’s going to learn a new defense a little bit. Defensive line is defensive line, but it’s a little different techniques, and I think we can use his ability in our system a little bit better.”

There it is.  We draft guys for our system, and Zimmer sees a guy who thinks will fit it.  I, for one, will be watching the project with interest.

When something is quoted as above from an article, it looks like you can't quote it in a reply.  So I'll just cut and paste the bit that's most notable:

There it is.  We draft guys for our system, and Zimmer sees a guy who thinks will fit it.  I, for one, will be watching the project with interest.

I tried to remove the quote box but it doesn't look like you can, ... :shrug:  ... sorry.

I won't use the box in the future.

yea zimmer mentioned that when he was first drafted too (may be the same quote).  That he'll fit better in the Bengals system than he did in SMU's.

Wow... that's good. Because I don't want SMU's defense. They couldn't stop anyone. :)

from NFL Insider's Rumors Blog... http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nfl/rumors/

The plan for Margus Hunt in.gif

May, 10, 2013
May 10
1:48
PM ET
By Tim Kavanagh | ESPN.com
cin.gif
The Cincinnati Bengals added to a position of strength when they drafted SMU DE Margus Hunt with the No. 53 overall selection in the draft, as the team is already pretty well off on the defensive line. Because of that, he may not need to be inserted into the lineup right away.

Hunt has some impressive measurables -- at 6-foot-8, 277 pounds, he blazed to a 4.6 40-yard dash -- but needs some refinement in the particulars of playing football at the professional level. Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com sets the stage for Hunt at this weekend's rookie minicamp and through his initial NFL campaign:

"This weekend should also be a good gauge about just where Hunt is in his development as a relatively new player compared to other top college prospects. A mini Senior Bowl, if you will. Plus, the Bengals can go back and look at other ends they've had in this camp recently, such as Michael Johnson and Carlos Dunlap, and make the comparison. The parlor game to play on Hunt is picking the regular-season game he will suit up for the first time. He could go awhile before he gets his shot and that should suit his development."

An injury to Johnson, Dunlap or Robert Geathers could accelerate this process, but it appears that the Bengals will play it conservatively when it comes to getting Hunt on the field.

ESPN AFC North blogger Jamison Hensley has more on why Hunt is such an intriguing prospect:

hensley_jamison_30.jpg Jamison Hensley Bengals begin the Margus Hunt Project

"At 6 feet 8, 277 pounds, Hunt has unreal size, strength and speed. He ran the 40-yard dash at the NFL scouting combine in 4.6 seconds, the same time as outside linebacker Dion Jordan, a first-round pick who is nearly 30 pounds lighter than Hunt. He also recorded 38 reps on the bench press, the same number as defensive tackle Star Lotulelei, the first-round pick who is 34 pounds heavier than Hunt. It's this ability that makes Hunt such a wild card on the Bengals' already stacked defensive line. He has the speed to rush the passer coming off the edge. He has the power to line up inside and collapse the pocket up the middle."

I think the talk about SMU is that they ran a lot of 3-4 which can require the DE to just keep the OL off the LBs so they can make tackles. They mentioned at the 2nd round press conference that he was best when he could just try to penetrate and get after the QB, which is what the 4-3 allows.

I think the talk about SMU is that they ran a lot of 3-4 which can require the DE to just keep the OL off the LBs so they can make tackles. They mentioned at the 2nd round press conference that he was best when he could just try to penetrate and get after the QB, which is what the 4-3 allows.

“Well, he was actually playing two-gap on the offensive tackle most of the time, and he’ll be playing defensive end for us.

Defensive line is defensive line, but it’s a little different techniques, and I think we can use his ability in our system a little bit better.”

Archived