i found this comment funny in reedy's draft notes.

The 2010 class got a consensus mark of a C, and all that group has done is have two Pro Bowlers (Jermaine Gresham and Geno Atkins) and a pass rusher in Carlos Dunlap.

i wonder where you accumulate you information from, reedy.  :35: 

1. Eifert, A-. "A" because he is a big sure handed target that often catches the ball at its highest point. Dalton, at times, sails his passes, especially on deeper passes. Having another big guy to fight for the ball will keep drives going rather than having those plays turning into incompletes or INTs. We also could have a need at TE if we can't extend Gresham. "-" because we had bigger needs elsewhere.

2. Bernard, B. I'm of the camp that thought Lacy was a better fit. On the other hand since quite a few teams passed on him, he must have had a few flags. Bernard seems like he could be a very good back. Off field, he seems like a fantastic young man. He is bright and charismatic. I've been impressed every time I've heard him speak. Also the story about him handwriting thank you notes to the team was cool.

2. Hunt, B+. Love the player. I am of the camp that thinks he can be as disruptive as JJ Watt. Like the Eifert pick, I down grade it because there were bigger needs.

**let me clarify, while I have deducted grades due to not addressing bigger needs, I am not advocating the team address need over getting better talent. Its more that I wish the talent level was equal or better at need positions.

3. Williams, A+. Great pick! I've watched a lot of UGA. I've heard people claim they would have preferred Rambo. Rambo might be a better athlete, but not by much. Williams got over shadowed because he played within the scheme rather than show off. IMO, I put Williams on par with Reid.

4. Porter, B. Solid pick as far as need and value. I think Barrett Jones was still available. Would rather have had him.

5. Hawkinson, C. Head scratcher. Seems like a solid prospect, but I feel there were better players available. He probably could have been had later.

6. Burkhead, C. Again better players available. He's nearly identical to Leonard and Gruden did little to utilize his skill set.

6. Hamilton, B. Good value. Adds depth and competition at WR.

7. Fragel, A+. Steal of the draft. In about 3 years, I see him taking over for Whit as out Franchise LT.

7. Johnson, D. Big time head scratcher. We have Cook and Robinson battling for starting job. Plus they brought in Pollak, who has played C. Furthermore, Hawkinson is expected to get work at C. The only thing I can figure is that there are concerns about Cook's injury. I recall talk about it possibly being career threatening.

All that shows is that Prisco decided he didn't want to do a little homework and actually look at the bengals roster before doing his write-up and was probably thinking about a diffferent team's OL in general.  This type of thing happens all the time outside of some of the big name national writers and local media.

All that shows is that Prisco decided he didn't want to do a little homework and actually look at the bengals roster before doing his write-up and was probably thinking about a diffferent team's OL in general.  This type of thing happens all the time outside of some of the big name national writers and local media.

which is odd, because Prisco is usually one of the Bengals' biggest supporters.

What is the handwritten note story regarding Gio??

From Bengals.com

"I just had a feeling about this place," Bernard said of his pre-draft visit to Paul Brown Stadium a few weeks ago. "I just wanted to say 'thank you' for taking the time to sit down and talk to me and just spend time."

So Bernard did what he didn't do for the other interested NFL teams and wrote thank you notes to Bengals president Mike Brown, running backs coach Hue Jackson, and offensive coordinator Jay Gruden.

When Bernard stood in the doorway of the draft room Saturday, he was able to thank them in person for a lot more than that. He gave a salute and "Thank you," and when he marched over to Brown to shake his hand, Brown said, "Thank you for your note."

"Thank you for the pick," Bernard said. 

If either one of Vaccaro or Reid had been there, the Bengals would have taken him. The 49ers got in front of the Bengals for that reason alone. And if the Cowboys had kept the 18th pick, they probably would have taken Reid. He was never going to fall to us either way.

I'd like to know the real answer. Cause I'm not so sure. I bet Tyler was rated higher on their board ??

Cool story.  Bengal fans might be upset about Lacy now, but they are going to forget all about him the first time Gio is the last player on the field signing autographs and busting 65 yard runs.

I'd like to know the real answer. Cause I'm not so sure. I bet Tyler was rated higher on their board ??

I imagine they had Eifert higher than Reid, but I bet it was close with Vaccaro.  EIfert probably BPA, Vaccaro the consensus best player at their biggest need, who also happened to be good value at 21.

Cincinnati Bengals

TE Tyler Eifert brings a dynamic presence to this offense and RB Gio Bernard could, too. DE Margus Hunt might need some time to learn the NFL game. Cincinnati actually did quite well in the mid- to late rounds, with LB Sean Porter and seventh-round OT Reid Fragel shaping up as very smart selections. Grade: B-plus

http://nfl.si.com/2013/04/28/2013-nfl-draft-grades-jaguars-49ers-rams-top-the-class/?eref=sihp

Cool story.  Bengal fans might be upset about Lacy now, but they are going to forget all about him the first time Gio is the last player on the field signing autographs and busting 65 yard runs.

Gio is the one guy I've wanted from the get go. Very excited to see what he can do both in the run game and pass game. And even return game for that matter

Gio is the one guy I've wanted from the get go. Very excited to see what he can do both in the run game and pass game. And even return game for that matter

Me too! Heck. I was ringing the bell to pick him at 21 early in the process. I love his blend of quick and acceleration, and he can catch the rock as well. I think he's your number 1 in '14.

I imagine they had Eifert higher than Reid, but I bet it was close with Vaccaro.  EIfert probably BPA, Vaccaro the consensus best player at their biggest need, who also happened to be good value at 21.

I think that's exactly right. If Vaccaro was there, he's in stripes. If Reid is there, they probably still take Eifert. He's really, really good.

Me too! Heck. I was ringing the bell to pick him at 21 early in the process. I love his blend of quick and acceleration, and he can catch the rock as well. I think he's your number 1 in '14.

Get that boy in the weight room.

Trying to grade a draft the day has a lot of similarities to trying to name presidential contenders the day after a general election – they might look great or awful now but you have to give things time to sort themselves out.

Three years ago, the Bengals draft class grades the day after ranged anywhere from a B-minus to a C. Assess that class now with Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap and Jermaine Gresham and it would get an A.

The consensus though on the day after is that once again the Bengals had one of the best drafts in the league, but the Ravens and Steelers had impressive classes as well.

GRADING THE BENGALS

Addressing needs (A-minus): Seven of the 10 picks addressed the offense, which considering the unit finished 22nd last year there needed to be more additions.

It started out with tight end Tyler Eifert in the first round, which has the potential to give them the second-best duo at that position behind New England. It continued with selection of Giovani Bernard in the second round, which is the dynamic, quick back that they have been looking to pair with BenJarvus Green-Ellis.

Add in sixth-rounders Cobi Hamilton, who is productive as both an inside and outside receiver, and running back Rex Burkhead, who could fill Brian Leonard’s jack-of-all-trades role, and there are more weapons for offensive coordinator Jay Gruden to utilize.

They also got some depth on the offensive line with Tanner Hawkinson in the fifth and a pair of seventh rounders in Reid Fragel and T.J. Johnson

“I think the offense is starting to go into the mode and the identity that I think Jay Gruden has,” running backs coach Hue Jackson said. “Our job is to score points. I think Jay would be the first to tell you that, and in order to do that, you got to make sure you have players that can do that and we have some on this team right now.”

Safety was the top need coming in but they weren’t able to address it until the third round with Shawn Williams. After Kenny Vaccaro and Eric Reid went off the board with picks 15 and 18 in the first round, the Bengals knew they were going to have to bide their time.

The most intriguing pick could end up being second-round defensive end Margus Hunt, who at 6-foot-8 gives the Bengals three defensive linemen who are over 6-5. Linebacker Sean Porter offers depth and versatility.

Value (A-minus): All of the players had draftable grades, meaning none of them were projected as college free agent signings. Three of the picks — Porter (fourth round) went a round lower than projected while Hamilton and Fragel were picked two rounds later than what was on consensus draft boards, which makes them great value picks.

The only pick that we consider a reach was taking Hawkinson in the fifth round when the consensus feeling was he wouldn’t go until the seventh round. So if the Bengals would have taken Fragel in the fifth and Hawkinson in the seventh, no one would have been surprised.

Final Grade: A-minus – The Bengals will go into the season with one of the deepest rosters in the league. It is a draft that is not going to win many sexy points, but it is one that was extremely solid and productive. With five above-average classes, they finally have a formula.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2013/04/28/grading-the-bengals-and-the-rest-of-the-afc-north/

Nailed it

Cincinnati Bengals:  Marvin Lewis quietly has built Cincy into an imposing squad by stringing together solid drafts over the past few years. Adding this year's draft haul, the Bengals are in position to be legitimate contenders in the AFC for the next few seasons. Tyler Eifert gives the offense a 6-foot-6 pass catcher with exceptional hands and ball skills to pair with Pro Bowler Jermaine Gresham in "12" personnel packages. Gio Bernard is the explosive change-of-pace back who will alleviate some of the workload on BenJarvus Green-Ellis. Most importantly, Bernard will help the offense score more points with his big-play ability as a runner/receiver/returner. Defensively, Margus Hunt adds another big body to an already imposing front seven.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000165023/article/2013-nfl-draft-winners-minnesota-vikings-detroit-lions-nail-it

Not sure if this is posted, I know Prisco gave a blow by blow grade to each pick, but here is his overall grade for what the Bengals got done:

Cincinnati Bengals

Best pick: I don't usually like taking backs high, but Giovani Bernard in the second round is perfect for this team. They need a space back, and he is that.

Questionable move: It's not that first-round pick Tyler Eifert isn't a good player, but they already had Jermaine Gresham. Then again, there aren't a lot of holes on the roster.

Third-day gem: Fourth-round linebacker Sean Porter was once considered a first-day prospect. Getting him where they got him is nice value.

Analysis: For the second consecutive year, the Bengals had a big haul. They landed a lot of quality players for a roster that already had a bunch. There is no more laughing at the way they draft.

Grade: A

Jason Cole ...

Cincinnati Bengals
Picks: TE Tyler Eifert, RB Giovani Bernard, DE Margus Hunt, SS Shawn Williams, OLB Sean Porter, OT Tanner Hawkinson, RB Rex Burkhead, WR Cobi Hamilton, OT Reid Fragel, C T.J. Johnson.

Analysis: The Bengals generally followed their usual protocol of sticking directly to their board and picking the best athletic talent at that point in the draft. What makes this an interesting draft is that taking Eifert is a bit of a departure for them. The Bengals already have standout tight end Jermaine Gresham. Eifert would appear to be a luxury, but he could allow Cincy to play two-tight end packages almost exclusively. If that's the case, Bernard was a really good choice because of his quick, slashing running style. In Hunt, the Bengals got another talented athlete to pair with Geno Atkins in the middle. If Hunt pans out, the Bengals could be downright nasty on defense.

Grade: B- 

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--2013-afc-draft-grades--dolphins-earn-only-a-033857465.html

Jason Cole ...

Cincinnati Bengals
Picks: TE Tyler Eifert, RB Giovani Bernard, DE Margus Hunt, SS Shawn Williams, OLB Sean Porter, OT Tanner Hawkinson, RB Rex Burkhead, WR Cobi Hamilton, OT Reid Fragel, C T.J. Johnson.

Analysis: The Bengals generally followed their usual protocol of sticking directly to their board and picking the best athletic talent at that point in the draft. What makes this an interesting draft is that taking Eifert is a bit of a departure for them. The Bengals already have standout tight end Jermaine Gresham. Eifert would appear to be a luxury, but he could allow Cincy to play two-tight end packages almost exclusively. If that's the case, Bernard was a really good choice because of his quick, slashing running style. In Hunt, the Bengals got another talented athlete to pair with Geno Atkins in the middle. If Hunt pans out, the Bengals could be downright nasty on defense.

Grade: B- 

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--2013-afc-draft-grades--dolphins-earn-only-a-033857465.html

I could care less about the grade, but the analysis left me scratching my head.   Basically says Bengals generally stick to a BPA draft strategy but then took a departure from that in picking Eifert.  Ummm Ok...

Draft review: Cincinnati Bengals

Posted by Mike Florio on April 28, 2013, 8:42 PM EDT
eifert.jpg?w=241AP

The Bengals want to win a playoff game for the first time in 23 years.  Here’s a look at whether their draft class will help them reach that elusive goal.

What they needed: Tackle, running back, defensive end, safety, receiver.

Who they got:
Round 1: Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame.
Round 2: Giovani Bernard, RB, North Carolina.
Round 2: Margus Hunt, DE, SMU.
Round 3: Shawn Williams, S, Georgia.
Round 4: Sean Porter, OLB, Texas A&M.
Round 5: Tanner Hawkinson, OT, Kansas.
Round 6: Rex Burkhead, RB, Nebraska.
Round 6: Cobi Hamilton, WR, Arkansas.
Round 7: Reid Fragel, OT, Ohio State.
Round 7: T.J. Johnson, C, South Carolina.

Where they hit:  With a growing nucleus of talented players, the Bengals could afford to go “best available” in round one.  And they did, via a tight end who’ll help diversify the passing game.  With receiver A.J. Green attracting extra attention, Eifert (who’ll wear Chad Johnson’s No. 85) and tight end Jermaine Greshamwill be able to find favorable matchups in the underneath zones and in the seams.  Bernard likewise expands the offensive options, giving the Bengals a much-needed complement to BenJarvus Green-Ellis.  By re-signing right tackle Andre Smith and systemically addressing areas of need, the Bengals could be ready to take the next step.  Or two.

Where they missed:  Burkhead feels like a reach in round six.  He’s the kind of guy they could have found among the ranks of the undrafted free agents.  Still, if that’s the worst thing that can be said about a 10-man draft class, it’s a pretty good draft class.

Impact rookies:  Eifert and Bernard could make major contributions right away.  Hunt could also earn extensive playing time in the defensive line rotation, wreaking havoc as offensive lines focus on guys like Michael Johnson and Geno Atkins.  And don’t overlook Cobi Hamilton, a possession receiver who could earn reps across from Green — especially if Mohamed Sanu has any setbacks as he recovers from a foot injury that derailed his rookie season.

Long-term prospects:  The Bengals, with two straight playoff berths in non-strike seasons for the first time in franchise history, aren’t getting complacent.  Marvin Lewis, one of the longest-tenured coaches in the league, seems intent on building a consistent contender.  With Eifert, Bernard, and Hunt leading the class of incoming rookies, the Bengals could be poised to keep making the postseason, indefinitely.

Peter King's lone entry about the #Bengals in MMQB: "Be careful, Cincinnati. Or we'll start to think you know how to draft."

I just came in here to post this.  Welcome to 2009, Peter.  I know he must have unfettered access that other writers don't have, but for crissakes is there a lazier writer than King?  His column is just another knob who constantly posts about his run times.

They did it again. The Bengals scouted, prepared, executed their plan and drafted to rave reviews.  This is only news to those not paying attention or those clinging to their talking points of the 1990's: The Bengals are building a consistent winner. Vision, planning, and calm calculations have long since replaced scattered, throw a dart, fingers crossed guessing games for the Bengals. Good drafts are no longer the exception, they have become the norm. 
This time the Bengals handed offensive weapons to Jay Gruden, added pieces to Mike Zimmer's shutdown defense, upgraded Darrin Simmons' special teams and amped up position battles up and down the depth chart. They also put the finishing touches on keeping their own (Andre Smith) and once again enjoyed the gift that keeps on giving (Carson Palmer trade).
The offense got just what it needed: Red zone help and a home run hitter. I love the options TE Tyler Eifert gives Andy Dalton and this offense. Tight end may not have been a top priority, but Eifert was too good to pass up. The Bengals were flexible enough to climb out of the box and seize value when it was presented. The NFL is about mismatches. Good luck to opposing defenses when they make choices on covering AJ Green now. I can't wait to watch RB Giovani Bernard. The only people that wanted Eddie Lacy (Alabama) were the people that didn't understand what the Bengals needed. Bernard has a burst and the ability to catch and run. Lacy has neither. Lacy was a "name". Most fans would not have recognized Bernard if he'd delivered a pizza to them draft night. The Bengals of old might have drafted Lacy. The Bengals of now are did not.
It's also a draft that eliminates excuses for Andy Dalton. Year three was viewed as important for Dalton, now year three might just be fish or cut bait time for Dalton.
The offensive line got depth pieces for Paul Alexander to mold. 
The defense really needed a safety. The Bengals didn't panic. They waited and found value in hard-hitter Shawn Williams. I'm intrigued by DE Mangus Hunt. I'm excited by OLB Sean Porter. 
The Bengals improved their present and built on the foundation of their future. I will stack this draft and the previous four against any organization in the NFL. 
Next step: Playoff wins. 

Read more: http://www.espn1530.com/pages/lancesBlog.html#ixzz2RrHtB3Rp

Archived