Cincinnati Bengals

Floyd Engel ( B ) I love the Tyler Eifert pick, simply because he and Jermaine Gresham provide a nasty two-tight end set and help for Andy Dalton. And SMU’s Margus Hunt basically adds another beast to Mike Zimmer’s defense.

Marvez: ( B ) Eifert will allow the Bengals to field more two-tight end sets and potentially light a fire under current starter Jermaine Gresham, whose outstanding athleticism hasn’t translated to on-field stardom. Needs at running back and strong safety were filled with Gio Bernard (second round) and Shawn Williams (third).

Schrager: (A) Dalton certainly won’t have the “There are no weapons other than A.J. Green” excuse anymore. Eifert and Bernard will both make immediate impacts. More than the draft picks, I love the re-signing of Andre Smith.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/2013-nfl-draft-report-cards-every-team-042813#tab=photo-title=Cincinnati+Bengals&photo=31721442

I could care less about the grade, but the analysis left me scratching my head.   Basically says Bengals generally stick to a BPA draft strategy but then took a departure from that in picking Eifert.  Ummm Ok...

yeah, that analysis is all kinds of contradictory.  He gives us a B- but then says if we are going to a 2 TE set (which would legitimize the Eifert pick) Bernard is also the perfect back for it.  Then he says we could be "downright nasty."  Tough grader.

It does demonstrate an interesting point, though.  A lot of the pundits criticize a team because of how the players they take do or don't "fit" a team's system.  What's to say a team isn't changing that system?

As I've said before, we really haven't seen Gruden get a chance to truly show us what he wants to put on the field.  In his first year he had to put in a starting QB and #1 receiver from day 1.  In his second season he had a bunch of secondary scrubs at WR, and his speed back got hurt.  This is the year I expect to see what he wants to do, because other than another WR in case AJ goes down, we should have all the pieces.

They did it again. The Bengals scouted, prepared, executed their plan and drafted to rave reviews.  This is only news to those not paying attention or those clinging to their talking points of the 1990's: The Bengals are building a consistent winner. Vision, planning, and calm calculations have long since replaced scattered, throw a dart, fingers crossed guessing games for the Bengals. Good drafts are no longer the exception, they have become the norm. 
This time the Bengals handed offensive weapons to Jay Gruden, added pieces to Mike Zimmer's shutdown defense, upgraded Darrin Simmons' special teams and amped up position battles up and down the depth chart. They also put the finishing touches on keeping their own (Andre Smith) and once again enjoyed the gift that keeps on giving (Carson Palmer trade).
The offense got just what it needed: Red zone help and a home run hitter. I love the options TE Tyler Eifert gives Andy Dalton and this offense. Tight end may not have been a top priority, but Eifert was too good to pass up. The Bengals were flexible enough to climb out of the box and seize value when it was presented. The NFL is about mismatches. Good luck to opposing defenses when they make choices on covering AJ Green now. I can't wait to watch RB Giovani Bernard. The only people that wanted Eddie Lacy (Alabama) were the people that didn't understand what the Bengals needed. Bernard has a burst and the ability to catch and run. Lacy has neither. Lacy was a "name". Most fans would not have recognized Bernard if he'd delivered a pizza to them draft night. The Bengals of old might have drafted Lacy. The Bengals of now are did not.
It's also a draft that eliminates excuses for Andy Dalton. Year three was viewed as important for Dalton, now year three might just be fish or cut bait time for Dalton.
The offensive line got depth pieces for Paul Alexander to mold. 
The defense really needed a safety. The Bengals didn't panic. They waited and found value in hard-hitter Shawn Williams. I'm intrigued by DE Mangus Hunt. I'm excited by OLB Sean Porter. 
The Bengals improved their present and built on the foundation of their future. I will stack this draft and the previous four against any organization in the NFL. 
Next step: Playoff wins. 

Read more: http://www.espn1530.com/pages/lancesBlog.html#ixzz2RrHtB3Rp

He's a homer but that's the best draft analysis I've seen for our team.

As are nice and all but I didn't see anybody give them AA or AAA. Same old bengals drafting solid. Boring.

I believe Standard and Poors gave them a AAA while giving more sub-primes AAA and then downgraded the US credit again.

:ninja:

Let's break down the Cincinnati Bengals' 2013 draft: 

cin.gifFIRST-ROUND SPOTLIGHT: Not saying this has been bad, but the Bengals have been predictable in past drafts. Drafting tight end Jermaine Gresham(2010) and wide receiver A.J. Green (2011) in the first rounds were not surprises. Even last year, many thought the Bengals would take cornerback and a guard. But no one had the Bengals selecting Notre Dame tight end Tyler Eifer falling to No. 21. The Bengals didn't need a tight end. Eifert, though, will stretch the field more than Gresham and adds another target in the red zone. If Georgia linebacker Jarvis Jones hadn't slipped to the Pittsburgh Steelers, they may have taken Eifert at No. 17. 

IN HINDSIGHT: The Bengals' biggest need was strong safety and they didn't add one until the third round, when the selected Georgia's Shawn Williams. Cincinnati could have taken a higher-rated safety in the second round. With their second pick of the second round, the Bengals opted to draft Southern Methodist defensive end Margus Hunt over South Carolina safety D.J. Swearinger. Hunt was drafted at No. 53, and Swearinger went to the Houston Texans four spots later. It will interesting to track the careers for Swearinger and Williams. 

BEST VALUE: That being said, the best value was Hunt in terms of the Bengals' draft board. According to the team's website, Hunt was among the top 21 players on the Bengals' draft board and fell to No. 53. The 6-foot-8, 277 pound lineman was among the strongest and fastest defensive linemen at the NFL combine. In terms of value, some have compared this situation to 2010 when the Bengals got defensive end Carlos Dunlap at the 54th overall pick. 

TOP LATE-ROUND PICKUP: Offensive tackle Reid Fragel, Ohio State. Projected to go as high as the third round, Fragel lasted until the seventh. He's developmental prospect who played three seasons at tight end in college before switching to offensive tackle last season. Fragel put on nearly 30 pounds since the end of his junior season, so he's still growing into the position. Strong and smart, Fragel could turn into a late-round success story. 

SOMEONE WHO DIDN'T LIKE THIS DRAFTBernard Scott. He has to wonder whether he should have re-signed with Cincinnati 17 days ago. The Bengals took the first running back in the draft, selecting North Carolina's Giovani Bernard with the 37th overall pick. Bernard is a fast back who will complement BenJarvus Green-Ellis and will be critical on third downs because of his pass-catching ability. Cedric Peerman, one of the team's top special teams player, is expected to be the No. 3 back. There's a chance that the Bengals could put Scott, who tore his ACL last October, on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list to keep him around in case the Bengals need a back midway through the season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/69599/2013-cincinnati-bengals-draft-analysis

I didn't want to start a new thread to ask this question.Bengals start training camp on training field july 27 beside Paul Brown Stadium.Tickets are required to attend and they say first come first served.Does season ticket holders automatically get tickets?

I would love to make it down there with my son to see all these new rookies.

hillcat

I didn't want to start a new thread to ask this question.Bengals start training camp on training field july 27 beside Paul Brown Stadium.Tickets are required to attend and they say first come first served.Does season ticket holders automatically get tickets?

I would love to make it down there with my son to see all these new rookies.

hillcat

season ticket holders don't have reserved tickets for anything.  For the practices on the practice fields, there's limited seating and you actually will have to come to get a ticket in the morning, about 5 hours before practice.

The practices inside the stadium don't require tickets and you can just show up.

I can't be the first Bengals fan to post this, but fuck Peter King. Seriously. 

Peter King got played by the Bengals like their own personal little bitch.  You know the tide has turned here when we're actually using misinformation the right way.  

No one knew about Eifert, and the whole world was waiting for us to take Lacy.  

Thanks Peter!

favorite quote in that was 

SOMEONE WHO DIDN'T LIKE THIS DRAFTBernard Scott. He has to wonder whether he should have re-signed with Cincinnati 17 days ago. The Bengals took the first running back in the draft, selecting North Carolina's Giovani Bernard with the 37th overall pick. Bernard is a fast back who will complement BenJarvus Green-Ellis and will be critical on third downs because of his pass-catching ability. Cedric Peerman, one of the team's top special teams player, is expected to be the No. 3 back. There's a chance that the Bengals could put Scott, who tore his ACL last October, on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list to keep him around in case the Bengals need a back midway through the season.

lol dont see scott making the roster in the fall

favorite quote in that was 

lol dont see scott making the roster in the fall

On paper I agree, but it'll play out on the field. Scott does give you some punch as a KR, though, if Tate goes... And who knows how injuries will play out.

All of that said, I saw where Hobs threw out that he might be a PUP candidate. Hadn't thought of that - thought he'd been cleared to practice, but if he is PUP'd, that give him time to rehab/them more time to evaluate him and have another option down the road, if needed.

Peter King got played by the Bengals like their own personal little bitch.  You know the tide has turned here when we're actually using misinformation the right way.  

No one knew about Eifert, and the whole world was waiting for us to take Lacy.  

Thanks Peter!

Only a douche like King could trash on the team for decades and then never imagine that the inside info he gets might be tainted.

On paper I agree, but it'll play out on the field. Scott does give you some punch as a KR, though, if Tate goes... And who knows how injuries will play out.

All of that said, I saw where Hobs threw out that he might be a PUP candidate. Hadn't thought of that - thought he'd been cleared to practice, but if he is PUP'd, that give him time to rehab/them more time to evaluate him and have another option down the road, if needed.

I doubt Scott makes the team. Gio is the speed back, Burkhead backs him up, and McCalebb is all the KR you could ever need.

If I was Scott and Peerman I'd be planning for a career somewhere else.

I'll predict that the opening day depth chart at RB goes BJGE, Gio, Peerman, Herron. Scott and McCaleb don't have much chance. Burkhead can fight for a spot but he's not fast enough to beat out Peerman and Herron was a good special teamer when he got the chance last year. 

I'll predict that the opening day depth chart at RB goes BJGE, Gio, Peerman, Herron. Scott and McCaleb don't have much chance. Burkhead can fight for a spot but he's not fast enough to beat out Peerman and Herron was a good special teamer when he got the chance last year. 

The fourth spot probably comes down to Herron and Scott.  McCalebb in my opinion would be a Tate replacement if they do pick Herron over Scott.

Burkhead is a blue collar guy. I'd be willing to bet he proves to be a special teams commodity ( not as returner ).

Burkhead is a blue collar guy. I'd be willing to bet he proves to be a special teams commodity ( not as returner ).

One thing to keep in mind with all of these guys - they didn't draft any of them without a good idea of where they would fit into the team now or in the future.  Maybe Burk goes into a different slot than RB (FB?) but just assuming he drops off the squad is likely to be incorrect.

One thing to keep in mind with all of these guys - they didn't draft any of them without a good idea of where they would fit into the team now or in the future.  Maybe Burk goes into a different slot than RB (FB?) but just assuming he drops off the squad is likely to be incorrect.

At 214 he would be an awfully small FB.

He probably ends up on the practice squad if he isn't Miles-like on ST. I think he has a good chance to stick based on that and him replacing the Leonard role in the offense.

Archived