Obama calls for end to religious education

Jason

He was speaking overseas in front of a group of 2000 people in Northern Ireland.  Considering the severe division within religions there, the statement may have been somewhat appropriate.  However, like one commentator in the article stated; 

Did he when visiting, say, Israel, say “You Jews shouldn’t have synagogue schools and you Muslims shouldn’t have mosque schools.”  I can’t remember.  Did he?

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2013/06/19/obama-offends-catholics-in-the-uk-says-religious-schools-are-divisive-78053

“If towns remain divided—if Catholics have their schools and buildings and Protestants have theirs, if we can’t see ourselves in one another and fear or resentment are allowed to harden—that too encourages division and discourages cooperation,” Obama said.

Doesn't sound so crazy. Doesn't sound like something that he wouldn't say to Isrealis or Palestinians.

And besides, I don't try to have the same conversations with my wife that I do with my wives mother about all topics because I know their stances and their desire/ability to challenge their beliefs and ideas.

If he doesn't like segregated schools, then he should pull his daughters out of that private school for rich kids and put them in DC public.

And Numbers, I can see him saying that about synagogue schools, but not mosques since he is a muslim.  He has proved once again that he doesn't respect the freedom of religion.  And where are all the libs crying for separation of church and state?

“If towns remain divided—if Catholics have their schools and buildings and Protestants have theirs, if we can’t see ourselves in one another and fear or resentment are allowed to harden—that too encourages division and discourages cooperation,” Obama said.

And again, if he's worried about fear and resentment, why doesn't he include the class segregated school that his daughters go to? This is just plain him being a muslim and not respecting other religions and coming up with a lame excuse to attack them.

Why do I have a feeling there is likely some context missing here?

It's actually a subcontext, Jamie, wherein bullethead right-wingers attempt to make mountains out of any molehill which has any reference to Obama. (And not all that much different from what we left-wingers did to Bush and Cheney--except that left-wingers are more literate in general.)

Why do I have a feeling there is likely some context missing here?

Because you don't want to believe that Obama would say something idiotic? Every dumb thing he says is probably taken out of context. Something that wasn't considered for controversial Bush quotes.

Because you don't want to believe that Obama would say something idiotic? Every dumb thing he says is probably taken out of context. Something that wasn't considered for controversial Bush quotes.

Oooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

taking things out of context and meme bombing this section of the site is kinda what Jason does

And again, if he's worried about fear and resentment, why doesn't he include the class segregated school that his daughters go to? This is just plain him being a muslim and not respecting other religions and coming up with a lame excuse to attack them.

Thats probably more of a safety issue than anything else but I get your point.

Another problem I have is that he's demonizing the Catholic schools for the resentment they may cause instead of demonizing resentment. The schools have been there forever, deal with it. Why not suggest that the people who hold the resentment to be more tolerant?

Another problem I have is that he's demonizing the Catholic schools for the resentment they may cause instead of demonizing resentment. The schools have been there forever, deal with it. Why not suggest that the people who hold the resentment to be more tolerant?

Demonizing?

He was speaking overseas in front of a group of 2000 people in Northern Ireland.  Considering the severe division within religions there, the statement may have been somewhat appropriate.  However, like one commentator in the article stated; 

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2013/06/19/obama-offends-catholics-in-the-uk-says-religious-schools-are-divisive-78053

Yeah anyone knowing this history of Northern Ireland between the Cathlotics and Prodistants should know this.

And of course he didnt, has there ever been a president that wasnt owned by the israel lobby?

Yeah anyone knowing this history of Northern Ireland between the Cathlotics and Prodistants should know this.

And of course he didnt, has there ever been a president that wasnt owned by the israel lobby?

FDR.  See the ship called the St. Louis for an example...  or see FDR's promise to King Saud on April 5th, 1945... etc...

In other words, it has been a very long time since anything has been out from under the thumb of the "Israeli lobby."

You do realize the reason was that bush was an idiot, don't you? Although I've read a couple of your posts and it makes me think Shrub might be smart to you.

You do realize the reason was that bush was an idiot, don't you? Although I've read a couple of your posts and it makes me think Shrub might be smart to you.

This is speculation on my part, but I don't believe Bush Jr. was nearly as stupid as he seemed. The whole "aw shucks" Texan plain-folks thing was an act IMO. I think the non sequiturs, the mispronunciation of simple words.. All of that was a carefully calculated schtick meant to convince the voters he was just a "regular guy".  I have a hard time believing some blue-blood Harvard & Yale-educated man doesn't know how to pronounce "nuclear". 

His handlers realized, however, that he stood a better chance of being elected if he appeared.. well, kinda stupid. Even in this most recent presidential election Obama took a lot of grief for simply being educated. Fact is, there are a lot of ignorant & resentful people in this country & Bush successfully played to that demographic.

The "you think you're better than us" crowd, in other words. Well let's see, you're a HS dropout that's supplementing your income from stealing "scrap" metal by selling the prescription drugs you're getting from Medicaid..  It's not about what anyone else thinks, you just suck at life and are such a loser that the idea of a well-educated person (let alone a minority) succeeding to such an extent as to become President makes you feel so insecure that you'd vote for the other guy out of spite just because he made the effort to sound as dumb as you...

Bush's handlers understood that & his campaign capitalized on it.

Christians intimidate Oboma and he wants them gone..no matter what country you are from you should have freedom of religion..already in the pulpits you can't say homosexuality is wrong since Oboma came into office..

Christians intimidate Oboma and he wants them gone..no matter what country you are from you should have freedom of religion..already in the pulpits you can't say homosexuality is wrong since Oboma came into office..

Obama is intimidated by Christians being that he is Christian?

Some of us Christians don't believe it is wrong.

This is speculation on my part, but I don't believe Bush Jr. was nearly as stupid as he seemed. The whole "aw shucks" Texan plain-folks thing was an act IMO. I think the non sequiturs, the mispronunciation of simple words.. All of that was a carefully calculated schtick meant to convince the voters he was just a "regular guy".  I have a hard time believing some blue-blood Harvard & Yale-educated man doesn't know how to pronounce "nuclear". 

His handlers realized, however, that he stood a better chance of being elected if he appeared.. well, kinda stupid. Even in this most recent presidential election Obama took a lot of grief for simply being educated. Fact is, there are a lot of ignorant & resentful people in this country & Bush successfully played to that demographic.

The "you think you're better than us" crowd, in other words. Well let's see, you're a HS dropout that's supplementing your income from stealing "scrap" metal by selling the prescription drugs you're getting from Medicaid..  It's not about what anyone else thinks, you just suck at life and are such a loser that the idea of a well-educated person (let alone a minority) succeeding to such an extent as to become President makes you feel so insecure that you'd vote for the other guy out of spite just because he made the effort to sound as dumb as you...

Bush's handlers understood that & his campaign capitalized on it.

If that was an act someone give him the oscar

No. But that was a strong 1st, maybe 2nd, grader caliber retort; Bush is stupid and so are you? Anybody you disagree with is an idiot?  Run along now, the adults are talking.  

But since you brought it up, Obama has had more gaffes than Bush, though not as publicized. 57 states? Pronouncing corpsman "corpse-man". I think that trumps Bush saying nucular. 

Demonizing?

My bad, Obama probably meant that they should integrate where they all go to Catholic schools.

No. But that was a strong 1st, maybe 2nd, grader caliber retort; Bush is stupid and so are you? Anybody you disagree with is an idiot?  Run along now, the adults are talking.  

But since you brought it up, Obama has had more gaffes than Bush, though not as publicized. 57 states? Pronouncing corpsman "corpse-man". I think that trumps Bush saying nucular. 

I dont care too much for Obama as he isnt liberal enough for me, but you really reaching if you think Bush isnt more of a moron than Obama is.

Archived