An Ohio bank repossesses wrong house, sells off homeowner's stuff, refuses to reimburse her

oldschooler

Bank Repossesses Wrong House, Sells Off Homeowner's Stuff

An Ohio bank is refusing to reimburse a Vinton County woman whose house they unjustly repossessed while she was out of town.

Katie Barnett recently returned home after being away for two weeks to find that the lock on her door had been changed. She crawled in through the window to find all of her stuff missing.

Barnett suspected she had been robbed — and she wasn't too far off.

It seems that, while Barnett was gone, the First National Bank of Wellston arrived at her place of residence, broke in, and took possession of all her belongings, including the house.

Except, as it later turned out, they had the wrong address.

"They told me that the GPS led them to my house," Barnett told 10TV. "My grass hadn’t been mowed and they just assumed."

Phoning the local police to report the incident did Barnett little good, as the McArthur Police Chief refused to investigate and considered the case closed.

But for Barnett, the ordeal is very much ongoing.

With all of her stuff either sold off by the bank or thrashed, the homeowner presented the bank's president with an $18,000 estimate for restitution.

He refused to pay up.

"He got very firm with me and said, ‘We’re not paying you retail here, that’s just the way it is,’" Barnett recalled. "I did not tell them to come in my house and make me an offer. They took my stuff and I want it back."

The bank's president claims he is trying to "come to terms" with Barnett, but she denies this.

"I’m getting attitude from them," she said. "They’re sarcastic when they talk to me. They make it sound like I’m trying to rip the bank off. All I want is my stuff back."

Earlier this month a Texas man had a similar horror story to tell after the city of Fort Worth sent a demolition crew to his house by mistake, and he returned home to an empty lot.

http://gawker.com/bank-repossesses-wrong-house-sells-off-homeowners-stu-893629920?utm_campaign=socialflow_gawker_twitter&utm_source=gawker_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Sue the absolute shit out of them...  it isn't her fault they f'd up...

They either get all her original shit back in like condition or they give her retail, replacement value + lost time, etc.  I have to believe any bank with what little sense they have will cave when an attoney crafts a letter stating damages WAY, WAY beyond $18,000.  They're idiots if they fight over that much money given what happened.

One last note:  FNB of Wellston is a subsidiary of Midwest Bancshares Inc. 

Conflicting reports on who actually runs it as the President or Chairman.

http://www.otcmarkets.com/stock/MDWE/company-info

Company Officers/Contacts

Larry E. Potter President
Robert W. Willis Chairman

http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/board.asp?privcapId=3110184

Eric Emmert  Principal Executive Officer, President, Principal Financial Officer, Principal Accounting Officer, Director, President of The First National Bank of Wellston and Director of The First National Bank of Wellston

The following site is an online petition site against FNB.  They seem to think it's Eric Emmert but I am not so sure.

http://campaigns.dailykos.com/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=504

Tell First National Bank to pay Katie Barnett restitution for breaking into her house

Sign our petition to Eric Emmert, president and CEO of First National Bank of Wellston, demanding they reimburse a minimum of $18,000 to Katie Barnett.

They either get all her original shit back in like condition or they give her retail, replacement value + lost time, etc.  I have to believe any bank with what little sense they have will cave when an attoney crafts a letter stating damages WAY, WAY beyond $18,000.  They're idiots if they fight over that much money given what happened.

This.

When I was done with them the bank would be named after me.

Seriously.... I would have thought the bank would jump at the chance to settle for only 18K. Avoid the lawsuit and negative pr

Careful.  Not all bankers are assholes.  Some of those "bankers" put up with us Bengal fans ...

You're right....not all are assholes.  But I'd say, in general, bankers are a plague on this world.   I'm not talking about those who "put up with us Bengal fans" either.....I'm talking about the real bankers.

It's like killing cock roaches.. If I set a bug bomb off in a trailer home, I am going to kill more roaches relative to other bugs, than say a home in Indian Hill.

theoretically.  That's my banker/asshole ratio analogy.

Archived