Bye Week Notes

And Go's heart breaks.

That's what is amusing about the Dalton wars here and at ESPN.  No matter who shouts down who, there isn't the slightest hint that the Bengals organization and coaches are dissatisfied with him as our franchise QB.   Sure, they want him to improve.   But this assumption that the Sword of Damocles is hovering over him not supported by evidence.

Marvin Lewis scheduled to be on SVP & Russillo today 1:30.

Recap:

- Huge win over Cleveland. First goal is to win division.

- Fine with Dalton. Need to keep playing better around Dalton

- Interceptions happen for a lot of different reasons. QB always gets blamed but not always his fault

- Need Dalton to play care free

- V. Rey had taken full advantage of moment. He is smart guy that can help other guys on the field.

- Rey was kept out of game cause of bye week.

- Loss of Geno has provided younger guys to play more.

- Pretty cool that Hunt taught himself English by watching TV.

- No separation in division right now. Have opportunity to create separation.

So dalton was supposed to look like dog shit on a couple passes to trick the Browns into a seemingly easy win?

no he's saying just because a pass play goes wrong, doesn't mean it was the QB's fault.  Often times it is, and it certainly happened plenty of times Sunday, but often times they also aren't.  

Live at 7 p.m. - Watch #Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis on Beyond the Stripes tonight at 7 http://cin.ci/1bZIjVL  pic.twitter.com/sb4YuPSBvL

"I think Andy can be too concerned with trying to get ball to one certain player" - Lewis #BeyondTheStripes #Bengals pic.twitter.com/Z4QVY98qnI

Andy Dalton "needs to play carefree. He can't get pushed around and knocked around in the pocket." -- Lewis #Bengals #BeyondTheStripes

"I thought the crowd was marvelous on Sunday. We have been enjoying a tremendous home field advantage" -- #Bengals' Lewis #BeyondTheStripes

"We're way further ahead than any since I've been here," #Bengals' Marvin Lewis says. #BeyondTheStripes

"It was a big win for us, obviously, with a lot of emotion." #Bengals coach Marvin Lewis on beating #Browns. #BeyondTheStripes

Lewis on Burfict: 'I told Mike Brown after his second practice, 'this kid is very good.''' Said Burfict reminds him of Ray Lewis. #Bengals

"I cheated. I was an undersized safety who played linebacker. I listened to offensive team in huddle" -- Lewis #Bengals #BeyondTheStripes

"We have an opportunity to do something special, and all we need to worry about is us," #Bengals' Marvin Lewis #BeyondTheStripes

"We really have an opportunity to finish things the right way," #Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis at #BeyondTheStripes

Lewis on Harrison: “That Was Like An Earl Campbell Run”

Posted by Dan Hoard on November 19, 2013 – 10:53 am

In a season that’s already featured a miraculous Hail Mary and a game-ending overtime safety; we witnessed another rarity last Sunday:  A game-changing touchdown that didn’t count.

James Harrison’s first quarter interception when the Bengals trailed the Browns 13-0 and were being showered by boos, did lead to a 25-yard touchdown pass from Andy Dalton to Jermaine Gresham.  But Harrison’s bulldozing 20-yard TD return that was nullified by a penalty was the spark that helped turn the game around.

“It was funny because I had just told the defense, ‘Hey, we need y’all to do something.’” said tight end Alex Smith.  “Big James stepped up right on time.”

“It got us going and I thought that was huge,” said Marvin Lewis.  “I just think the energy of James’ return – even though it got called back – that was like an Earl Campbell run.  That was an impressive physical play.”

Harrison didn’t only resemble Earl Campbell – he evoked memories of himself in Super Bowl XLIII when he intercepted Arizona’s Kurt Warner at the goal line and broke or avoided six clear tackle opportunities by the Cardinals on a record-setting 100 yard return.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqnQwKAI4OE

That year, Harrison was the NFL Defensive Player of the Year after finishing with 16 sacks and 7 forced fumbles.  As the “Sam” linebacker in the Bengals 4-3 defense, Harrison doesn’t have the opportunity to post such gaudy statistics, but he is having a productive season.  ProFootballFocus.com has Harrison ranked fourth among 4-3 outside linebackers, and in the victory over Cleveland, James played a season-high 55 defensive snaps.

“They’re starting to put me in a lot of different positions,” said Harrison.  “I’m getting extra roles in the defense just from guys that have ended up going down.  I have to expand my role.  I just got an opportunity to go out there and play a little more than I had in some previous games.”

burfict-hair-440x296.jpg?w=440&h=296

The linebacker one spot ahead of Harrison in the ProFootballFocus.com ratings is Vontaze Burfict.  Following his 18 tackle, 1 forced fumble, 1 fumble recovery touchdown performance vs. Cleveland, I asked Marvin Lewis if Burfict has a chance to rank among the best linebackers he’s ever coached – a list that includes Ray Lewis, Peter Boulware, Greg Lloyd, and Kevin Greene.

“He does – he really does,” Marvin told me.  “I’ve said that from the very first practice that he stepped on the field for us in the rookie camp and he’s not disappointed me.  We just can’t have the penalties.  He gets a foolish personal foul penalty that we can’t have.  Penalties that come within the play and so-forth; we’re going to keep coaching them to play within the rules, but this other stuff we can’t do.  We’re not the WWF and we don’t get to retaliate.  This is the National Football League and we’ve got to respect that and do it the right way.”

If not for penalties, Burfict would move past Tampa Bay’s Lavonte David and Denver’s Von Miller into the number one spot among 4-3 outside linebackers in the ProFootballFocus.com ratings.

I’d love to hear from you at Dan.Hoard@Bengals.nfl.net

If you Twitter, you can follow my tweets at http://twitter.com/Dan_Hoard

And I’m on Facebook at www.facebook.com/dan.hoard.1

Lewis on Harrison: “That Was Like An Earl Campbell Run”

Posted by Dan Hoard on November 19, 2013 – 10:53 am

In a season that’s already featured a miraculous Hail Mary and a game-ending overtime safety; we witnessed another rarity last Sunday:  A game-changing touchdown that didn’t count.

James Harrison’s first quarter interception when the Bengals trailed the Browns 13-0 and were being showered by boos, did lead to a 25-yard touchdown pass from Andy Dalton to Jermaine Gresham.  But Harrison’s bulldozing 20-yard TD return that was nullified by a penalty was the spark that helped turn the game around.

“It was funny because I had just told the defense, ‘Hey, we need y’all to do something.’” said tight end Alex Smith.  “Big James stepped up right on time.”

“It got us going and I thought that was huge,” said Marvin Lewis.  “I just think the energy of James’ return – even though it got called back – that was like an Earl Campbell run.  That was an impressive physical play.”

Harrison didn’t only resemble Earl Campbell – he evoked memories of himself in Super Bowl XLIII when he intercepted Arizona’s Kurt Warner at the goal line and broke or avoided six clear tackle opportunities by the Cardinals on a record-setting 100 yard return.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqnQwKAI4OE

That year, Harrison was the NFL Defensive Player of the Year after finishing with 16 sacks and 7 forced fumbles.  As the “Sam” linebacker in the Bengals 4-3 defense, Harrison doesn’t have the opportunity to post such gaudy statistics, but he is having a productive season.  ProFootballFocus.com has Harrison ranked fourth among 4-3 outside linebackers, and in the victory over Cleveland, James played a season-high 55 defensive snaps.

“They’re starting to put me in a lot of different positions,” said Harrison.  “I’m getting extra roles in the defense just from guys that have ended up going down.  I have to expand my role.  I just got an opportunity to go out there and play a little more than I had in some previous games.”

burfict-hair-440x296.jpg?w=440&h=296

The linebacker one spot ahead of Harrison in the ProFootballFocus.com ratings is Vontaze Burfict.  Following his 18 tackle, 1 forced fumble, 1 fumble recovery touchdown performance vs. Cleveland, I asked Marvin Lewis if Burfict has a chance to rank among the best linebackers he’s ever coached – a list that includes Ray Lewis, Peter Boulware, Greg Lloyd, and Kevin Greene.

“He does – he really does,” Marvin told me.  “I’ve said that from the very first practice that he stepped on the field for us in the rookie camp and he’s not disappointed me.  We just can’t have the penalties.  He gets a foolish personal foul penalty that we can’t have.  Penalties that come within the play and so-forth; we’re going to keep coaching them to play within the rules, but this other stuff we can’t do.  We’re not the WWF and we don’t get to retaliate.  This is the National Football League and we’ve got to respect that and do it the right way.”

If not for penalties, Burfict would move past Tampa Bay’s Lavonte David and Denver’s Von Miller into the number one spot among 4-3 outside linebackers in the ProFootballFocus.com ratings.

I’d love to hear from you at Dan.Hoard@Bengals.nfl.net

If you Twitter, you can follow my tweets at http://twitter.com/Dan_Hoard

And I’m on Facebook at www.facebook.com/dan.hoard.1

I like this line, especially the part after if not for penalties.  Dude is a beast and is elite. 

Marvin on booing of Dalton: "Fans do what they do, because they don't know what was supposed to happen"--700 WLW with Willie,

This is one thing about ML's personality I hate.   He thinks that because fans don't have the inside information that we are too damn stupid to figure out what the planned execution is supposed to be.   It's sophisticated but it ain't rocket science.  It's not like it's the first time we've seen most of these plays.  Also, judging from some of the player responses, THEY don't always seem to know what the execution of the play should be sometimes.    

But then again, we don't have the investment in this team.  

Condescending Ass.

This is one thing about ML's personality I hate.   He thinks that because fans don't have the inside information that we are too damn stupid to figure out what the planned execution is supposed to be.   It's sophisticated but it ain't rocket science.  It's not like it's the first time we've seen most of these plays.  Also, judging from some of the player responses, THEY don't always seem to know what the execution of the play should be sometimes.    

Condescending Ass.

he certainly could have phrased it better, but he is actually right.  There's a whole lot that goes into plays that fans don't know about.  There's a lot of very knowledgeable football guys on this site, and even they don't have all the info.  Your average fan in the stands of a game, knows even less.

Condescending Ass.

I half agree with you and half don't.  There are a lot of people on this board, for example, who blame what was clearly a misread by Green on Dalton.  Clearly, Marvin is correct in saying those fans "don't know what was supposed to happen."

EDIT. Sorry, 1181 beat me to it!

Condescending Ass.

So you believe fans knew which way Green was supposed to turn on the first INT? How deep a route was to be run on the second? Even the 'knowledgable' fans on this message board can't agree on those plays... The fans near me couldn't even figure out the wind was an issue for both offenses. I have no faith in their ability to accurately assess blame on any given play.

Edit: don't mean to sound harsh. Just think there are better examples of Marvin being a jerk. There are just too many stupid fans around me at games for me to have an issue with Marvin on this one. :)

So you believe fans knew which way Green was supposed to turn on the first INT? How deep a route was to be run on the second? Even the 'knowledgable' fans on this message board can't agree on those plays... The fans near me couldn't even figure out the wind was an issue for both offenses. I have no faith in their ability to accurately assess blame on any given play.

Edit: don't mean to sound harsh. Just think there are better examples of Marvin being a jerk. There are just too many stupid fans around me at games for me to have an issue with Marvin on this one. :)

I guess my thinking is during the play Green didn't even know which way he was supposed to go.  I like Marvin and I hope he's part of the organization for a long time, but he doesn't give the fans enough credit.  All we fans know for sure is there wasn't supposed to be an interception on that play.  The other thing we know is the offense as a whole has been struggling.  My question for Marvin and the rest of the Bengals, how do they know the fans were booing Dalton and not the entire offense?  Maybe they were assuming that b/c they were just as frustrated?

Bottom line is it's true we don't know exactly what was supposed to happen on a certain play, but we do know they didn't call the "interception play" so an interception wasn't supposed to happen.

I guess my thinking is during the play Green didn't even know which way he was supposed to go.  I like Marvin and I hope he's part of the organization for a long time, but he doesn't give the fans enough credit.  All we fans know for sure is there wasn't supposed to be an interception on that play.  The other thing we know is the offense as a whole has been struggling.  My question for Marvin and the rest of the Bengals, how do they know the fans were booing Dalton and not the entire offense?  Maybe they were assuming that b/c they were just as frustrated?

Bottom line is it's true we don't know exactly what was supposed to happen on a certain play, but we do know they didn't call the "interception play" so an interception wasn't supposed to happen.

well it happened right after the pick six...

I think the fact that you say Green didn't even know, shows that the fans didn't know either.

Archived