Michael Johnson Interview On Sirius NFL Radio

I heard the Michael Johnson interview on Sirius NFL Radio earlier tonight with Alex Marvez and Gil Brandt. They did not talk much about free agency but Johnson mentioned how glad he is that Vontaze Burfict plays with him, He also said that the team definitely misses Geno but they have good defensive depth as we all know and that Zimmer puts them in the right positions to make effective plays. The most important thing that came across very clearly in the interview is that he is happy to be a Cincinnati Bengal

Yeah, he and most other guys who have played for Zimmer seem to genuinely want to stay here with the rest of the team, as they've all grown together.

I think the Dline more than any other group realizes they help each other succeed.  Really hope we can pull a rabbit out of our hat and keep MJ long term.

I heard the Michael Johnson interview on Sirius NFL Radio earlier tonight with Alex Marvez and Gil Brandt. They did not talk much about free agency but Johnson mentioned how glad he is that Vontaze Burfict plays with him, He also said that the team definitely misses Geno but they have good defensive depth as we all know and that Zimmer puts them in the right positions to make effective plays. The most important thing that came across very clearly in the interview is that he is happy to be a Cincinnati Bengal

He's one of my favorite players and a damn good one, but I don't see how you afford him unless he takes a very hefty discount to stick with his 'family'.   Agents tend to whisper evil thoughts to their high profile clients during free agency. 

I agree with you. I do not want to see him follow in the footsteps of Jonathan joseph and TJ Housmanzadeh as well as Takeo. They all thought the grass was greener and it backfired on them. We have one of the best D Lines in the NFL. Hope he stays..

It's easy to see why some of those players bailed, especially Takeo, dependent upon when they played along the Marvin timeline. Housh was probably done so I wasn't too worried about him, Spikes played on some shitty, shitty teams and likely wasn't buying into what Marvin was selling when he first arrived which is when Takeo and his neck went to Buffalo.

JJo though...he's always kinda been the "one that got away" to me. wish he was still here playing alongside Hall. But I understand why it worked out with him the way it did. 

Don't really know what our cap number is or will look like for next year but it's probably gonna be tough to re-sign Dalton, Green, and MJ all in one offseason. Possibly Gresham as well.

You don't have to resign Green this season, you just have to agree on the fifth year option, and you don't necessarily have to resign Gresham either, he's still on the books for another year. The only one that you probably need to do other than MJ is Dalton.

What's Burfict timeline?  I thought I saw somewhere that he's under contract until 2016, but you're going to have to reward that guy at some point he is getting paid peanuts.

he's got one more year on his deal, plus a RFA year.  So they control him for 2 more seasons.

He's eligible for an extension after the end of this season.

This fella could very well be following his coordinator after the season which makes me a sad panda. Super duper sad. His sacks aren't up this year (I don't believe) so maybe he won't be quite as expensive which may give us a shot. One can hope

It's easy to see why some of those players bailed, especially Takeo, dependent upon when they played along the Marvin timeline. Housh was probably done so I wasn't too worried about him, Spikes played on some shitty, shitty teams and likely wasn't buying into what Marvin was selling when he first arrived which is when Takeo and his neck went to Buffalo.

JJo though...he's always kinda been the "one that got away" to me. wish he was still here playing alongside Hall. But I understand why it worked out with him the way it did. 

Oh shit! I forgot all about his team sucking ass this year. He wanted to be somewhere where he had some QB stability... how about that. 

You don't have to resign Green this season, you just have to agree on the fifth year option, and you don't necessarily have to resign Gresham either, he's still on the books for another year. The only one that you probably need to do other than MJ is Dalton.

I don't even know if I'd resign Gresham. Does he show up enough to warrant a big contract? Well, would he even demand a big contract? My gut feeling tells me yes but who knows. Of course if the cap allows it, do what you have to do, but if there's a guy who plays a lot one way or another that we had to lose because of the cap and extension of other players, I would say it's Gresham.

I believe he'll go with Zimmer if Zimmer leaves to become a HC.

He isn't free to just leave because he wants to. ML also had a big hand in getting him here so I would think he would have some loyalty to him as well.

I don't even know if I'd resign Gresham. Does he show up enough to warrant a big contract? Well, would he even demand a big contract? My gut feeling tells me yes but who knows. Of course if the cap allows it, do what you have to do, but if there's a guy who plays a lot one way or another that we had to lose because of the cap and extension of other players, I would say it's Gresham.

The sad thing is, if we snub him for a new contract that will probably be the motivation he needs to finally play up to his talent level....for someone else. Dude is a head case.

he's got one more year on his deal, plus a RFA year.  So they control him for 2 more seasons.

He's eligible for an extension after the end of this season.

Since he was undrafted, isn't he eligible for extension whenever?

I want MJ back as much as anyone, but I believe his fate was sealed once we got deals done with Geno and lap, and the drafting of hunt. Could we afford to sign him? Yes! But if we do some others would have to walk down the line. Gresham would probably be the first, but I think it would effect at least one other mid tier talent. I'm not sure who at the moment but all I know is when you have a team as talented as the bengals you can't sign everyone.

I want MJ back as much as anyone, but I believe his fate was sealed once we got deals done with Geno and lap, and the drafting of hunt. Could we afford to sign him? Yes! But if we do some others would have to walk down the line. Gresham would probably be the first, but I think it would effect at least one other mid tier talent. I'm not sure who at the moment but all I know is when you have a team as talented as the bengals you can't sign everyone.

A little off topic, but it can't be said enough how great Dunlap has played this year.  I think most of us are always concerned how a player will respond once they get that first big contract.  Dunlap has stepped it up to the next level.    

Back to MJ, I would love him back and looking at the cap the Bengals are still in great position even with an AJ  and Dalton contract looming.   

yes, because the two TE system gives you big mismatch advantages.  Also, despite the frustration at times, he's been quite productive.  He's about to become only the 2nd TE in NFL history to start his career with 4 straight 50 catch seasons.

I expect them to build the offense around the skillset quartet of Green/Eifert/Gresham/Bernard and keep that group together for the next 5-6years.

A little off topic, but it can't be said enough how great Dunlap has played this year.  I think most of us are always concerned how a player will respond once they get that first big contract.

I absolutely was, and said so..  Not because I thought he lacked talent but because he hadn't managed a healthy 16-game season.  He's sure earning that contract right now, though.

yes, because the two TE system gives you big mismatch advantages.  Also, despite the frustration at times, he's been quite productive.  He's about to become only the 2nd TE in NFL history to start his career with 4 straight 50 catch seasons.

I expect them to build the offense around the skillset quartet of Green/Eifert/Gresham/Bernard and keep that group together for the next 5-6years.

I think we'll resign Gresham. Inconsistent Tight ends don't break the bank.

I'd be surprised if MJ resigns, he had that chance this offseason and didnt.

I think at least right now you look to AJ, Taz, Gresh as the next guys on the line, and IF Andy can do something in the playoffs then we can talk

Then you figure Peko and Whit are coming up, and at least Whit is starting to show some signs of potentially needing replaced, I think we already have Peko's replacement in Thompson though..

I disagree.  Even with all the stuff we bitch about, Gresham is a very solid TE.  If I'm right, with 15 more catches this season, he will be only the 2nd TE to record 50 catches in each of his first four seasons.  I don't think I'd make him the highest paid, but that number is only around 7 mill if we did.  I think we find a way to keep him.

I'd be surprised if MJ resigns, he had that chance this offseason and didnt.

I think at least right now you look to AJ, Taz, Gresh as the next guys on the line, and IF Andy can do something in the playoffs then we can talk

Then you figure Peko and Whit are coming up, and at least Whit is starting to show some signs of potentially needing replaced, I think we already have Peko's replacement in Thompson though..

he also had a guaranteed $11.5M as a backup plan this offseason.  

He won't have that this year.

I think there's a good chance he's back, unless they just won't to tie up that much money on the DL.

I think his price tag is less this coming offseason as it was last offseason.

Archived