Michael Sam, a College Football Standout, Says He Is Gay

Harley

The impression I'm getting is that it's not so much the players as the fans that have a hard time accepting this.

I'm guessing both have issues with this.  As players, they are nothing more than a microcosm of a larger culture of people.  The players would have similar fears and prejudices as the fans.

..., give me grace to accept with serenity the things that cannot be changed, Courage to change the things which should be changed, and the Wisdom to distinguish the one from the other.

You stated in your previous post that that if the people didn't consume it, the media wouldn't report it. That's actually a backwards representation of the consumer-media relationship. The consumer consumes it because the media reports it. The media determines the narrative of what is reported. The consumer doesn't know any better because the media is the place they get their information from to begin with. 

The media has this great influence over society (showcased in many studies) precisely because the consumer is so dependent upon the media for information.

So your belief is that what the media reports the people will consume? That's not true. The media follow the stories and the stories that stick they stay with. A story doesn't stick then it's on to he next story.

You learned one bit of information a and are passing it on here to seem smart although it doesn't fit at all. Of course hey have influence on how things are reported. Hats why Fox News is a bunch of ass clowns because they put their opinion into everything.

That's an opinion, not a fact. 

If the police tell a guy not to chase after another, and then he goes ahead and chases him down, he is, by definition pursuing another human being.

Frankly, the guy being pursued is the one who has every right to defend himself, although we all know that if he had killed George Zimmerman in this case he'd be sent to the chair.

But Florida law took conventional wisdom and common sense and changed it, so that white guys with guns could shoot first and point to cowardice laws written by their terrified brethren afterwards.

I know the person who worked in the cubicle next to George Zimmerman at his insurance job. Said the guy was a major wannabe cop with huge inferiority complex who was just itching to be a hero.  None of them were surprised when any of this happened.  The guy was looking for fight, and probably the limelight that came with it, plan and simple.

And if his suppressed actions before the trial didn't convince you, his actions afterwards should as hell should.

If the police tell a guy not to chase after another, and then he goes ahead and chases him down, he is, by definition pursuing another human being.

Frankly, the guy being pursued is the one who has every right to defend himself, although we all know that if he had killed George Zimmerman in this case he'd be sent to the chair.

But Florida law took conventional wisdom and common sense and changed it, so that white guys with guns could shoot first and point to cowardice laws written by their terrified brethren afterwards.

I know the person who worked in the cubicle next to George Zimmerman at his insurance job. Said the guy was a major wannabe cop with huge inferiority complex who was just itching to be a hero.  None of them were surprised when any of this happened.  The guy was looking for fight, and probably the limelight that came with it, plan and simple.

And if his suppressed actions before the trial didn't convince you, his actions afterwards should as hell should.

This is just more conjecture and hearsay. The judicial system is based off of facts and evidence (and for good reason).

I really do not want to keep talking about this trial, but, if you so choose, show me the evidence that shows murder or manslaughter. Don't say he followed Martin, because Zimmerman claims he retreated back to his car when he was attacked and the prosecution never proved otherwise. Give me something else.

This might be more appropriate to quote than my previous quote...

“Every indifference to prejudice is suicide because, if I don’t fight all bigotry, bigotry itself will be strengthened and, sooner or later, it will return on me.”  Bayard Rustin

Not sure what it has to do with this thread, but sure, go on...

So your belief is that what the media reports the people will consume? That's not true. The media follow the stories and the stories that stick they stay with. A story doesn't stick then it's on to he next story.
You learned one bit of information a and are passing it on here to seem smart although it doesn't fit at all. Of course hey have influence on how things are reported. Hats why Fox News is a bunch of ass clowns because they put their opinion into everything.

So in other words, the consumer is dependent upon the media for their information? Good, I'm glad I got that straightened out with you. The people have no choice but to consume what the media reports. Go look at the Zimmerman case. For months, the only information the public knew about the case came from the media. This information made it seem like a slam-dunk case for the prosecution. Once the trial began and all the evidence was put forward, things got much more hairy. The media set forth a narrative, the public went along with it, fast forward a year later, and everything is different.

By the media portraying the case as a white man hunting down an innocent black teenager, they were able to stir up the public to go along with that narrative. The evidence in the case showed a much larger grey area.

You will have to articulate your second paragraph better, I have literally no idea what you are trying to say.

Not sure what it has to do with this thread, but sure, go on...

This thread is about "Michael Sam, a College Football Standout, Says He Is Gay."  The controversy that surrounds such a statement is being expanded upon by numerous posters.  One line of expansion is media, which you have discussed.  One line is the culture within America and the ideas for and against homosexuality.  Another line is the idea that the prejudices against a gay soon to be NFL player are coming from numerous sources (fans and players).  etc...  What may have been solely about Michael Sam declaring he is gay, will inevitably end up being about the right and wrong of homosexuality.  Bayard Rustin is a wonderful source that can not only speak about civil rights but also about homosexuality.  The media discussion has taken a turn into rehashing the Zimmerman trial which is further from the original post than the insertion of a quote from Bayard Rustin.

This thread is about "Michael Sam, a College Football Standout, Says He Is Gay."  The controversy that surrounds such a statement is being expanded upon by numerous posters.  One line of expansion is media, which you have discussed.  One line is the culture within America and the ideas for and against homosexuality.  Another line is the idea that the prejudices against a gay soon to be NFL player are coming from numerous sources (fans and players).  etc...  What may have been solely about Michael Sam declaring he is gay, will inevitably end up being about the right and wrong of homosexuality.  Bayard Rustin is a wonderful source that can not only speak about civil rights but also about homosexuality.  The media discussion has taken a turn into rehashing the Zimmerman trial which is further from the original post than the insertion of a quote from Bayard Rustin.

No, I get it, I just don't see the discussion about the right and wrong's of homosexuality being discussed anywhere as a result of his announcement.

I'm still trying to figure out how someone can bash the media (which I have no love for myself) but then call a guy narcissist for outing himself before the media did it without his consent.

Who was it that he used in order to help get his message out? Exactly.

Do you think any of those 3 outlets were going to question his motives for doing it? Would they Maybe play the Devil's advocate about his decision to do it the way he did?

So in other words, the consumer is dependent upon the media for their information? Good, I'm glad I got that straightened out with you. The people have no choice but to consume what the media reports. Go look at the Zimmerman case. For months, the only information the public knew about the case came from the media. This information made it seem like a slam-dunk case for the prosecution. Once the trial began and all the evidence was put forward, things got much more hairy. The media set forth a narrative, the public went along with it, fast forward a year later, and everything is different.

By the media portraying the case as a white man hunting down an innocent black teenager, they were able to stir up the public to go along with that narrative. The evidence in the case showed a much larger grey area.

You will have to articulate your second paragraph better, I have literally no idea what you are trying to say.

The people absolutely have a choice....don't watch. 

I don't disagree that some parts of the media have an agenda. But the media won't produce what the people won't consume. 

My second paragraph is basically saying you learned some sort of concept related to the media and now are trying to apply it everywhere. It doesn't fit here. We are not arguing the point you are proposing in anyway and in fact it has nothing to do with what your argument initially was. 

Do you think any of those 3 outlets were going to question his motives for doing it? Would they Maybe play the Devil's advocate about his decision to do it the way he did?

3 days later, you're still ignoring the reasons why Michael Sam made the announcement on his own terms. 

What? 

He kept it quiet between him and his teammates at Mizzu for a year, if he wanted to use the media he wouldnt have come out now he would have waited till after he was drafted so that it didnt potentially hurt his draft status. 

Instead he found out it was discovered and wanted to be the one in charge of how it came out.

Yeah that post is completely wrong.

What? 

He kept it quiet between him and his teammates at Mizzu for a year, if he wanted to use the media he wouldnt have come out now he would have waited till after he was drafted so that it didnt potentially hurt his draft status. 

Instead he found out it was discovered and wanted to be the one in charge of how it came out.

Yeah that post is completely wrong.

not to mention they purposely waited until after the Super Bowl so that the announcement would cause as little distraction as possible.

Archived