Cutting Carlos Dunlap?

Love this time of year.  Let the media shit stirring begin.

Just saw a straight up trade involving Burfict for Jonathan Joseph and a 2 year supply of Gatorade.  It was on the Twitter so it has to have some truth behind it.

I think we would save about $2M by cutting him this year. 

Not going to happen...

Whoa there Nelly, he is scheduled to get a $5.7 million roster bonus on March 31st.    He counts as $8.6 mil to the cap.  We errr, Mike Brown would be saving a huge amount of money.

Cap wise, it would be $6.4 million in DEAD cap space.

It would have to be a trade to alleviate a big chunck of the cap hit.  No way we release him me thinks unless Brown simply doesn't think he is worth the $7 mil in REAL money he could earn in salary, workout bonus and roster bonus this season.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/carlos-dunlap/

Whoa there Nelly, he is scheduled to get a $5.7 million roster bonus on March 31st.    He counts as $8.6 mil to the cap.  We errr, Mike Brown would be saving a huge amount of money.

Cap wise, it would be $6.4 million in DEAD cap space.

It would have to be a trade to alleviate a big chunck of the cap hit.  No way we release him me thinks unless Brown simply doesn't think he is worth the $7 mil in REAL money he could earn in salary, workout bonus and roster bonus this season.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/carlos-dunlap/

I think that's where the 'about 2' savings comes from.  We pay him the 6.4 dead money price now rather than his 8.6 cap hit.

I think that's where the 'about 2' savings comes from.  We pay him the 6.4 dead money price now rather than his 8.6 cap hit.

Never ever under estimate the REAL money portion of the salary.  The Bengals would free up $2.2 mil in cap space so we would need to find a player as good as Dunlap for that price but the owner, whose sole income is the Bengals, saves quite a bit.

Carlos, MJ and Vinny discussing on twitter....

@ChatBengals: Confusing perspective on Carlos Dunlap http://t.co/TBgD9r65IN @Carlos_Dunlap @MJ9TRE @King55Tez @andydalton14 @DomataPeko #Bengals #NFL

@Carlos_Dunlap: @ChatBengals: Confusing perspective on Carlos Dunlap http://t.co/S1GsZFTWU9 @MJ9TRE @King55Tez @DomataPeko #Bengals #NFL #byefelicia

@MJ9TRE: @Carlos_Dunlap @ChatBengals @King55Tez @DomataPeko boi u read that stuff? lol

@VinnyRey: @MJ9TRE @Carlos_Dunlap @King55Tez @DomataPeko lol suspect facts

@Carlos_Dunlap: @MJ9TRE @ChatBengals @King55Tez @DomataPeko well I do read thru my tweets on occasion and I read the one they had bout yu then this poppd up

Never ever under estimate the REAL money portion of the salary.  The Bengals would free up $2.2 mil in cap space so we would need to find a player as good as Dunlap for that price but the owner, whose sole income is the Bengals, saves quite a bit.

I don't think so in this case.  Dunlap has 11.7 guaranteed money,  which fits what he got last year and the dead money exactly.  I think Carlos gets it all - or more accurately, already has that all.

I don't think so in this case.  Dunlap has 11.7 guaranteed money,  which fits what he got last year and the dead money exactly.  I think Carlos gets it all - or more accurately, already has that all.

Not the $5.7 million roster bonus due March 31st, 2014.  He already has his signing bonus but not this last big chunk.

Player, Dead Money, Cap Savings, Difference

Domata Peko $0 $4,165,000 $4,165,000

Robert Geathers $0 $2,700,000 $2,700,000

Jermaine Gresham $1,221,250 $3,610,750 $2,389,500

Andrew Whitworth $2,000,000 $4,200,000 $2,200,000

Terence Newman $0 $2,000,000 $2,000,000

BenJarvus Green-Ellis $500,000 $2,500,000 $2,000,000

Reggie Nelson $1,250,000 $3,225,000 $1,975,000

Adam Jones $500,000 $2,300,000 $1,800,000

Mike Nugent $0 $1,400,000 $1,400,000

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2014/02/25/the-walkthrough-debunking-internet-rumor/

Player, Dead Money, Cap Savings, Difference

Domata Peko $0 $4,165,000 $4,165,000

Robert Geathers $0 $2,700,000 $2,700,000

Jermaine Gresham $1,221,250 $3,610,750 $2,389,500

Andrew Whitworth $2,000,000 $4,200,000 $2,200,000

Terence Newman $0 $2,000,000 $2,000,000

BenJarvus Green-Ellis $500,000 $2,500,000 $2,000,000

Reggie Nelson $1,250,000 $3,225,000 $1,975,000

Adam Jones $500,000 $2,300,000 $1,800,000

Mike Nugent $0 $1,400,000 $1,400,000

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2014/02/25/the-walkthrough-debunking-internet-rumor/

Interesting regarding Reggie Nelson. he;s going to be a FA next season and with all the guys coming up for new contracts, it wouldn't seem likely that we would be able to retain him for a contract similar to the one he got last time. I would also suspect he would receive strong interest on the open market. is Safety a spot you look to fill in the draft this season so that you have Nelson's replacement already on the team? Is Shawn Williams already that replacement?

totallycoolshirts@hotmail.com and sales@totallycoolshirts.com  i can promise you i am going with the second one every single time..

is borderline idiotic..

i have internet outrage....

Thank you, I remember when someone tried to pass off a free email address for a business they were laughed at. Google has done a good job of convincing people that having a gmail address is acceptable for a business. It is not.

If you have a domain and your email contact is gmail, yahoo, or Hotmail you are not a real business.

Well, the dude's sticking to his guns:

On Sunday, I reported sources told me the Cincinnati Bengals may have to consider cutting Carlos Dunlap in order to create room to sign other highly considered players, mainly Michael Johnson, whom the Bengals really want to bring back. I was then referred to as brain dead, inbred and other sorts of complimentary adjectives. Hence, I went back to my source for clarification and was told yes, the organization has in fact had conversations about potentially cutting Carlos Dunlap or at least attempting to restructure his contract. I'm told the way Dunlap's contract is structured, the team has until March 30 to make a decision.

http://walterfootball.com/combinerumors.php

Interesting regarding Reggie Nelson. he;s going to be a FA next season and with all the guys coming up for new contracts, it wouldn't seem likely that we would be able to retain him for a contract similar to the one he got last time. I would also suspect he would receive strong interest on the open market. is Safety a spot you look to fill in the draft this season so that you have Nelson's replacement already on the team? Is Shawn Williams already that replacement?

Reggie's a FA in 2016.

He's halfway through a 4 year deal he signed in 2012.

I really hope his "source" isn't anyone with actual ties to the front office. Because if he is and that conversation is actually happening it means we are basically fans of a team whose ownership group can't financially support a modern NFL team. There's no rational explanation for this thought process otherwise. Cutting him would only save $2M or so cap dollars but it would save ownership from having to pay that 5.7M bonus...and if they aren't willing to pay that, this team is in trouble.

I really hope his "source" isn't anyone with actual ties to the front office. Because if he is and that conversation is actually happening it means we are basically fans of a team whose ownership group can't financially support a modern NFL team. There's no rational explanation for this thought process otherwise. Cutting him would only save $2M or so cap dollars but it would save ownership from having to pay that 5.7M bonus...and if they aren't willing to pay that, this team is in trouble.

So you believe some hack with a website over this?  His numbers made no sense even before we got about 8 million more dollars to spend this year.

Archived