Cutting Carlos Dunlap?

The whole idea of cutting Dunlap is silly. He's not going anywhere in 2014 and likely not for at least a couple of years. If the team needs cap space, cut Geathers or Peko. They are in the final season of their deals and getting older. We have replacements already on board in Hunt and Thompson.

The whole idea of cutting Dunlap is silly. He's not going anywhere in 2014 and likely not for at least a couple of years. If the team needs cap space, cut Geathers or Peko. They are in the final season of their deals and getting older. We have replacements already on board in Hunt and Thompson.

Geathers is a waste of a spot

This goddamn story keeps getting traction. I didn't hear the details but Mo Egger mentioned this topic as a lead in on his show today.

We'd better not cut our best defensive end/pass rusher. Especially under these circumstances. It doesn't make any sense. This has to be some kind of meme that's been repeated often enough that stupid fucks in the media start believing and repeating it. I cannot envision any scenario where cutting Carlos would be a good idea.

This goddamn story keeps getting traction. I didn't hear the details but Mo Egger mentioned this topic as a lead in on his show today.

We'd better not cut our best defensive end/pass rusher. Especially under these circumstances. It doesn't make any sense. This has to be some kind of meme that's been repeated often enough that stupid fucks in the media start believing and repeating it. I cannot envision any scenario where cutting Carlos would be a good idea.

Looks like the only meme is reading through the list of big cash payouts coming due.  If you look at cap savings, it is silly.  We could save as much by cutting Nugent.

Hahaha....wait, this is sarcasm....right?   

I keep telling myself each year at this time to just endure a little longer. Soon, it will be the end of March, and all of the cutting every player and his second cousin to save money for the next group of players to be cut this time next year pleadings, will be over. Then normal life can resume.

Until the draft, of course. Then it will be cut every player in the position the draft picks will occupy.

Ah, the coming of spring...

there's some sense to this rumor, but it won't happen.

If they cut him before March 31st, as the report suggests, they save a bunch.  He's due a $5.7M roster bonus on March 31st, which is the heart of this rumor.  He's also due another $300K assumably during spring workouts (and for the next 4 seasons).  They can save as much as $7M in 2014 if they cut him before March 31st.

So in theory they could get out from under $27M of the remaining $33.4M cap hit on the life of the deal.

How much it would save them on each cap:

2014: $7M

2015: $3.3M

2016: $4.35M

2017: $5.35M

2018: $7M

If they cut him before March 31st, the only dead money would be $6.4M left on his signing bonus.  

All that said, they aren't going to cut him, and they certainly don't NEED to cut him for cap space as the report suggests.

To further the point, I think if the Bengals had given any hint they may cut him, his agent probably would not have let him just buy land in Cincinnati to build a house or a sick ass Ferrari.

there's some sense to this rumor, but it won't happen.

If they cut him before March 31st, as the report suggests, they save a bunch.  He's due a $5.7M roster bonus on March 31st, which is the heart of this rumor.  He's also due another $300K assumably during spring workouts (and for the next 4 seasons).  They can save as much as $7M in 2014 if they cut him before March 31st.

So in theory they could get out from under $27M of the remaining $33.4M cap hit on the life of the deal.

How much it would save them on each cap:

2014: $7M

2015: $3.3M

2016: $4.35M

2017: $5.35M

2018: $7M

If they cut him before March 31st, the only dead money would be $6.4M left on his signing bonus.  

All that said, they aren't going to cut him, and they certainly don't NEED to cut him for cap space as the report suggests.

I think the only reason it would even be entertained is to save REAL money.  I don't think it is a cap issue.  

Archived