On another subject, saw this blurb on roto about Dennard:

The NFL is "absolutely not" high on Michigan State CB Darqueze Dennard, according to the Sideline View's Lance Zierlein.

This is significant, since the draft media highly values Dennard's skills. The pure press man corner is very physical with receivers at the line of scrimmage and downfield, and that hand fighting could turn off some evaluators thanks to "illegal contact" being implemented in the NFL. Teams will likely question his long speed as well despite running a 4.51 forty.

We can dream that 23 other NFL teams will be so stupid... 

We can dream that 23 other NFL teams will be so stupid... 

He is an interesting case. I posted about 5 pages back that I watched some film on him and couldn't believe how much he held and interfered. In the ND game alone, he was called for 3 Pass Interference penalties and could have been called for 5 more. 

It will be interesting to see if he can get away with it at the NFL level. And if not, whether he is able to adjust his game. His style of play reminds me of the Patriots DBs about 10 years ago and the NFL has basically outlawed that type of defense (leading to the big passing numbers the last 5 years).

I'm not saying he will definitely bust. But I do think he is less of a sure thing and a bit more of a project (or projection) than many seem to believe.

Here's the ND video, curious what other people think...How many flags would this performance have received in the NFL?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpy_FlUtQcI

Pat Kirwan was going gaga over the running back from Coastal Carolina today. Said he was 6', 230 lbs, impressed at the Senior Bowl, and plays way faster than his 40 time. Said he is his pick to be this year's Alfred Morris.

I'd love a late round running back that can compliment Gio.

Well, another guy I specifically remember getting dinged coming out because of his physicality was Richard Sherman.  I'd say that worked out pretty well for the Seahawks, and they, along with every other NFL team, would spend a 1st rounder now on him if they could.  A

And of course, Joe Haden and his 4.6 forty laugh at those laughing at Dennard's 4.51.

Well, another guy I specifically remember getting dinged coming out because of his physicality was Richard Sherman.  I'd say that worked out pretty well for the Seahawks, and they, along with every other NFL team, would spend a 1st rounder now on him if they could.  A

And of course, Joe Haden and his 4.6 forty laugh at those laughing at Dennard's 4.51.

There's a difference between physicality at the line and grabbing a big handful of a guy's jersey 40 yards down field almost every time the ball's in the air...

Sherman has fantastic ball skills due to his 3 years in college playing WR. I am not sold on Dennard's ball skills. His initial reaction when the ball is thrown in his direction seems to be to grab the WR near him or throw out an arm bar, not try to find and make a play on the ball like Sherman does. Dennard seems a lot more like Dre Kirkpatrick than Richard Sherman.

Clemson offensive lineman Brandon Thomas, whose draft stock grew when he held South Carolina's Jadeveon Clowney in check one-on-one last season, has suffered a torn ACL in a pre-draft workout.

The workout occured with the New Orleans Saints, ESPN's Mike Triplett is reporting.

Thomas was a prospect on the rise who might have slipped into the top 50 picks before the injury, but not now. The torn ACL almost certainly will drop Thomas a few rounds and make him a PUP list (physically unable to perform) candidate for whatever team ends up drafting him.

But Thomas will be picked. His strong senior season, positional flexibility, the Clowney performance and a strong Senior Bowl all bode well for his football future once his knee recovers.

There are a number of teams that have the combination of good depth and additional draft picks — such as the San Francisco 49ers, Cincinnati Bengals and New England Patriots, all of whom have made "redshirt" draft picks on injured players recently — that might find Thomas a good home.

But the Saints, who were working Thomas out, should consider taking him. After all, they have no responsibility to say much more than "sorry, bro" but it would be a nice makeup call if it could happen.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Worth a 3rd or so round draft pick?  Bring him in and make sure he gets good medical treatment while involving him in some stealth skull practice?  Groom while he heals and rehabs for aging Whit?

Bengals/Paul Brown drafting futures prospects not entirely unprecedented when they used a lower round draft pick to draft the best ever ORT (fuck fat Willie), Mike Wilson when he had already signed to play in Canada...

Not a bad thought but whataya'think, Vern?

Pat Kirwan was going gaga over the running back from Coastal Carolina today. Said he was 6', 230 lbs, impressed at the Senior Bowl, and plays way faster than his 40 time. Said he is his pick to be this year's Alfred Morris.

was a heck of a blocker at the Senior Bowl.  Some think he could be a FB.

I have a feeling the Bengals are going to take one of the SEC QBs (Mettenberger, Murray or McCarron). Especially if Andy doesn't sign in the next 4 weeks. 

We usually love guys from the big schools. Especially the SEC. We also seem to target guys who started for 3 seasons or more.

If I had to narrow it down even more, Murray and McCarron are the 2 who seem like best fits for what the Bengals look for. Both have won a lot of games and have a ton of starts against good competition. If 1 of those guys is available in round 3-5 range, I bet they end up on the Bengals.

Mettenberger has less experience and looks like he is going to go in the top 2 rounds, which is probably too early for us. 

never understood how there can be discrepencies in height.

Mettenberger measured 1 inch shorter than at Combine today, and 5 lbs heavier. #ProDay Mett comes in at 6-4, 229.

Mike Tomlin@Squeel9mm

Ben Rothlisburger measured one in shorter today in the Pittsburgh locker room.  Another half inch and he will be a girl.

Taliaferro would be a good pickup

Can someone who caught this tell us about it?

Looks like from the guide description the first episode is about the 1964 draft. Just a historical type deal about how technology (game film?) changed the scouting process and about how that draft was loaded with great players. 

I'm assuming with 5 episodes they are going to look back at 5 different drafts throughout history. 

I was hoping it was going to be about the current draft...

Archived