It happened outside of a crowded bar in front of 100s of witnesses. There were a whole lot of "holy shit, I just saw Taylor Lewan punch an OSU fan" posts on twitter from UM students and fans after it happened. 

The guy is a meathead and idiot. Sometimes that type of personality isn't a bad thing for an OL on the field, but I do think he's a low character guy and he's had that reputation for a long time. There was also the incident where he threatened a rape victim trying to intimidate her from reporting that his friend had raped her. That has turned into a bigger story lately. 

I'd definitely have mixed feelings if we drafted him. He's a Richie Incognito type and just seems like a D-bag. But he's also probably a top 15 talent so if he slid a bit due to off field stuff, he'd probably be worth taking a risk on.

He's a talented athlete no doubt, but he hasn't been the consistently dominant player I would have expected. He's been portrayed that way by the Michigan PR machine, though.

As you suggest, he does have a mean streak, which can be a plus if channeled in the right way. While I wouldn't throw the Incognito type label out there (I think there's only one Richie Incognito, thankfully), he is a bit of a knucklehead and I wouldn't be jazzed if the Bengals took him.

During his short tenure at Notre Dame it was very evident that Lynch was the superior talent to Tuitt.  I didn't really follow him after his transfer to USF, but it seems like if someone can get Lynch remotivated he's got all the talent in the world.  Marvin and this staff have a track record of being able to do just that.

I guess the thing for me with Lynch is, he has the rep of being a knucklehead - who doesn't play hard... Very talented, but not the kind of guy I'd be excited about having. I suppose if he falls until late in the draft or is a UDFA, I'd consider it. But I'd be very wary of taking a guy like that before the tail end of the draft.

It happened outside of a crowded bar in front of 100s of witnesses. There were a whole lot of "holy shit, I just saw Taylor Lewan punch an OSU fan" posts on twitter from UM students and fans after it happened. 

The guy is a meathead and idiot. Sometimes that type of personality isn't a bad thing for an OL on the field, but I do think he's a low character guy and he's had that reputation for a long time. There was also the incident where he threatened a rape victim trying to intimidate her from reporting that his friend had raped her. That has turned into a bigger story lately. 

I'd definitely have mixed feelings if we drafted him. He's a Richie Incognito type and just seems like a D-bag. But he's also probably a top 15 talent so if he slid a bit due to off field stuff, he'd probably be worth taking a risk on.

I don't think you'll have to worry about the Bengals picking him.  He'll still get drafted before pick 24, but he'll push a better player down to the Bengals possibly.

I guess the thing for me with Lynch is, he has the rep of being a knucklehead - who doesn't play hard... Very talented, but not the kind of guy I'd be excited about having. I suppose if he falls until late in the draft or is a UDFA, I'd consider it. But I'd be very wary of taking a guy like that before the tail end of the draft.

is that the only thing with him?  Because they said the same thing about MJ and Dunlap.

is that the only thing with him?  Because they said the same thing about MJ and Dunlap.

Has the rep of being a very selfish player with a very inflated opinion of himself. I didn't see any USF games this past year, but I've read some stuff that indicated that he did a lot of free-lancing - didn't really play within the scheme e.g. playing gaps, etc. 

Yes, I was just making a joke.  Apparently, a not so funny or obvious one. 

Top 10 QB prospects for 2014 Kiper and McShay discuss which QB will go first, and ID potential sleepers

Updated: March 24, 2014, 8:52 AM ET
By Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay | ESPN Insider

To coincide with their "Draft Lab" TV segments running this week, Mel Kiper and Todd McShay are providing Insiders with their latest Top 10 prospect rankings and answering key questions for every position group.

How does this year's QB class stack up, which passer will be the first off the board and who is a sleeper to keep an eye on? Let's take a look.

MEL KIPER

1. Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville
2. Blake Bortles, UCF
3. Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M
4. Derek Carr, Fresno State
5. Jimmy Garoppolo, Eastern Illinois
6. AJ McCarron, Alabama
7. Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech
8. Zach Mettenberger, LSU
9. Aaron Murray, Georgia
10. Tom Savage, Pittsburgh

TODD MCSHAY

1. Blake Bortles, UCF
2. Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville
3. Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M
4. Jimmy Garoppolo, Eastern Illinois
5. AJ McCarron, Alabama
6. Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech
7. Tom Savage, Pittsburgh
8. Derek Carr, Fresno State
9. Aaron Murray, Georgia
10. Zach Mettenberger, LSU

Which prospect do you think will be the first QB drafted?

Mel Kiper: That's tough to say right now because we haven't yet seen Johnny Manziel's pro day performance. But since I'm pretty comfortable saying that it won't be Teddy Bridgewater, I'll say it will come down to Manziel and Blake Bortles -- and Manziel's pro day could be the deciding factor.

I've got all three graded very closely right now -- none are in the elite category -- and any ordering among the three is possible by draft time. However I could end up shading Manziel slightly ahead of the others if he does well at his pro day just because he is a unique player at the quarterback position. That could be the tiebreaker for me, but it's really hard to say right now which will be first off the board.

Todd McShay: I think the answer to this one is Bortles, for the reasons I explained in my article after his pro day on Wednesday. In short, he has the highest upside of any quarterback in his class, and the fact on Wednesday he showed he was making progress toward fixing his biggest weaknesses on tape -- his mechanics weren't sound on many of his throws this season, particularly in his lower half, and as a result his accuracy and velocity on those throws suffered -- is very encouraging for teams considering drafting him.

I've yet to hear one bad thing about him in terms of his character, intangibles and leadership ability, so if he can improve his mechanics so that he's able to drive the ball down the field with good velocity and accuracy, he is going to be under strong consideration for the teams picking at the top of the draft. Where exactly he'll go, and whether the Texans will take him No. 1 is a different question, but I do think right now that he'll be the first QB drafted.

Which of these QB prospects are you most torn about?

Todd McShay: If you take a look at the scouting report I wrote up on Manziel for our draft tracker, you'll see why he's my choice for this one. Manziel has a unique ability as an improviser both as a runner and as a thrower on the run, and even though he isn't as fast as Robert Griffin III and Russell Wilson, he's more elusive and more athletic than both. He also has excellent release quickness and good arm strength when his mechanics are solid, but he's unlikely to sustain NFL success unless he can improve the consistency of his ball placement (by being more disciplined with his lower-body mechanics), and makes more critical decision-making errors than any QB to whom I've given a first-round grade. It's understandable why you hear so many different opinions on whether he'll be a success in the NFL.

Mel Kiper: Honestly, I could name any of the top three QBs for this one -- separating Bortles, Bridgewater and Manziel has been a nightmare. Perhaps Manziel will provide some clarity with his pro day, but to this point these guys have been very difficult to figure out.

Who in this class is a late-round sleeper to keep an eye on?

Mel Kiper: I'll go with Aaron Murray as a guy who has been coming in under the radar a little bit, but has the ability to be an effective quarterback in this league. I've got him as the ninth-ranked quarterback in this class right now. He's a guy who has some injury issues to put behind him with his torn ACL at the end of last season, but he could provide good value.

Todd McShay: Jimmy Garoppolo is no longer under the radar, so I'll go with Tom Savage. He played behind a very poor offensive line at Pittsburgh, and didn't get much help from his pass-catchers, either, but he was the most impressive pure thrower of the football at the combine, according to different people I've talked to from around the league. His arm strength is just a notch below elite. Another guy to keep an eye on is Merrimack's Joe Clancey, who could get a shot in a training camp as an undrafted free agent.

If Carr or Garroppolo slide to the 3rd what are your thoughts?

No to Derek Carr.....not in Rd 3 anyways.  Not sure I like him so much.  Garoppolo.....hell yes!  If he can be had in Rd 3, that would be lovely. 

I hope Dalton plays hardball and holds out for a big payday from another team so Bengals can move on from him.  You can't pay the guy what he's going to want and still field the talent on offense you're able to currently.  And funny thing is, without those high talent offensive players, Dalton would look like....well.....what he is....a very mediocre QB who needs everything around him to be clicking for him to look competent. 

With the way our team is currently structured I would draft McCarron as soon as I could.

I don't know if drafting him in the 2nd is too high, but I would do it and feel good about it.

I like McCarron myself, but bubba doesn't so I'm kinda torn on him.   I too think he's got exactly what this offense needs from a QB and I think the offense he played in college is going to look very much like what the Bengals offense will be under Huge Action.   Same philosophies and concepts at least....focus on run with big plays when you can. 

I like McCarron myself, but bubba doesn't so I'm kinda torn on him.   I too think he's got exactly what this offense needs from a QB and I think the offense he played in college is going to look very much like what the Bengals offense will be under Huge Action.   Same philosophies and concepts at least....focus on run with big plays when you can. 

Did you mean to say huge action or were you talking to text or something? Would be kinda funny if it was the latter.

Did you mean to say huge action or were you talking to text or something? Would be kinda funny if it was the latter.

Ha.....not this time, I typed it from my laptop.   But when Hue first became OC, I texted (voice to text) my brother while driving and said Hue Jackson but my phone changed it to huge action......that was pretty neat.

Don't listen to that loser. He's thinks he knows everything.
AJ has the size and smarts. Great td / int ratio.
I just don't want a game manager. The best thing you hear about him is that he is a winner. Well who doesn't win at Alabama ?
He's not real mobile. Doesn't have good arm strength. Not accurate on deep balls. Stares down receivers and throws off back foot too often.
Struggled in the Sugar Bowl against Oklahoma when he was forced to throw the ball a lot and lead his team from behind.
I think there are better choices

I like Garoppolo in the 3rd/4th and Murray in the 4th/5th. Wouldn't hate McCarron, wouldn't care for Mettenberger. 

I also like Garoppolo in the 3rd. He won't make it to the 4th.

Really like how the ball comes out of his hand.

Great velocity on all his throws. 

Kinda reminds me of a hybrid Romo/A.A. Ron Rogers

Don't listen to that loser. He's thinks he knows everything.
AJ has the size and smarts. Great td / int ratio.
I just don't want a game manager. The best thing you hear about him is that he is a winner. Well who doesn't win at Alabama ?
He's not real mobile. Doesn't have good arm strength. Not accurate on deep balls. Stares down receivers and throws off back foot too often.
Struggled in the Sugar Bowl against Oklahoma when he was forced to throw the ball a lot and lead his team from behind.
I think there are better choices

Hey now, watch what you say about that guy!  That's my dude!  

I totally get why you don't like him, definitely legit.....but I have a feeling that he could be fantastic for this team.  I wasn't aware he had a weak arm.....I thought it was strong enough from what I saw and stronger than Dalton's.  Definitely could be wrong.  

I also like Garoppolo in the 3rd. He won't make it to the 4th.

Really like how the ball comes out of his his hand.

Great velocity on all his throws. 

Kinda reminds me of a hybrid Romo/A.A. Ron Rogers

Yeah, I like Garoppolo.....a lot and see Romo-ish QB.   Imagine how good the Bengals would be with this cast and Romo instead of Dalton. 

From an anonymous NFL scout with connections at tOSU:

“[Brad] Roby is your first guy (Buckeye) off the board,” the NFL scouting source said. “He is up right about the 20 spot. He is a value pick if he is on the board after the 25th.

He also thinks Shazier in 1 and Mewhort in 2.  He forgot to mention Hyde.

I'm curious as to what the Browns' plans are at QB.  They didn't interview any QB's at the combine, they cut 2 of the 3 QB's they had on the roster that had any kind of experience, and they are apparently not attending Johnny Manziel's pro day.

Maybe they aren't going to Johnny Mazola's pro day because they heard he's going to be doing card tricks and singing show tunes.  That guy is a total putz.  Then again, he does sound like a Brownie kind of guy.

Archived