Might I recommend the "Patriot" fish?

That type of fish makes T-Dub lose his cookies, every time. Even mentioning it sends him into fits of rage. Must have been a bad experience.

No I really think the Bengal fish could be good if it's prepared right and has the right ingredients, and I don't think me expecting that and sending it back until it is is unreasonable

There is zero validity in his statement.  The percentage of income that ticket sales creates is nominal in the scheme of things, and, most importantly, at least 50% of the inventory is presold to corporates that want or need the exposure.  With the exception of Mikey doing a Sterling, that is crazy talk.

Wrong. NFL blackout games if they don't reach their predetermined sell out point.

The validity of the statement is well north of zero and a long standing NFL policy supports that and a supposed NFL fan should know it.

Sure.. I think it starts withs teams failing in some way or another.. But I think there is something to the idea that at this points the fans are actually adding to the problem.  I think it's one of the reasons "losing" cities stay that way.. There are a number of things that keep that dynamic rolling, and the fans are part of it all.

The counter point is the Bengals just won 30 regular season games in 3 seasons. The FIRST time in franchise history.

The fan climate was much worse prior to Marvin although I would agree that it is scary the loss of energy you feel in the stadium when things don't go in favor of the home team in a particular point in a ball game.

I can't buy into fans adding into the problem when the overall success of the team is more consistent than's its ever been in the regular season. I think you'd have to limit your point to post season games.

Players will never admit it but I do think there is some stigma about winning a playoff game with this group of players.

Simpler reason is Bo Jackson. Haven't won a post season game since knocking him out.

You keep repeating this "dont like it dont watch" mantra (and I get accused of repeating myself). Personally if I got bad fish when I ate it, I would send it back and ask for better fish.

See, you aren't listening.

He said if fish made him sick EVERY time he ate it (i.e. all fish makes him sick), he wouldn't keep ordering it. Not if he got bad fish.  You turned it into bad fish, and then told us what you'd do about it as though you had some sort of nifty zinger.

It's the same thing you all are doing with all of these arguments.  Changing the parameters of the situation, and then arguing about what you'd rather do within those new parameters, and then patting yourselves on the backs for being so clever.

I know reality is sometimes painful, but we'd all be better off if some of you started accepting it.

Lord knows we'd at least be arguing about the same things, which would be a start.

See, you aren't listening.

He said if fish made him sick EVERY time he ate it (i.e. all fish makes him sick), he wouldn't keep ordering it. Not if he got bad fish.  You turned it into bad fish, and then told us what you'd do about it as though you had some sort of nifty zinger.

It's the same thing you all are doing with all of these arguments.  Changing the parameters of the situation, and then arguing about what you'd rather do within those new parameters, and then patting yourselves on the backs for being so clever.

I know reality is sometimes painful, but we'd all be better off if some of you started accepting it.

Lord knows we'd at least be arguing about the same things, which would be a start.

Well maybe he should ask why it is the fish made him sick every time. Perhaps it's just bad fish and he should demand better fish. Perhaps...juuuuust perhaps it IS the fish and not the person ordering it.

In other more direct words, you dont get to constitute what it means to be a fan of this team.

Well maybe he should ask why it is the fish made him sick every time. Perhaps it's just bad fish and he should demand better fish. Perhaps...juuuuust perhaps it IS the fish and not the person ordering it.

In other more direct words, you dont get to constitute what it means to be a fan of this team.

But you're trying to tell him you know better than he how his body works now, aren't you?  He's saying he gets sick when he eats fish.  Who are you to question what he knows about himself?

Another way to put it is, in T-dub's analogy, he's willing to accept that what he's been doing may be causing a problem (i.e., the fault lies within).  You need to change the rules of the game in order to lay the blame elsewhere, and stay without fault.

It's the same device that's at work when you all scapegoat the flaws of your team, or it's lousy fans, onto one player so as to remain separate from the reality that the infection runs deep, and it includes ourselves.

Not either/or. It's AND.

But you're trying to tell him you know better than he how his body works now, aren't you?  He's saying he gets sick when he eats fish.  Who are you to question what he knows about himself?

Another way to put it is, in T-dub's analogy, he's willing to accept that what he's been doing may be causing a problem (i.e., the fault lies within).  You need to change the rules of the game in order to lay the blame elsewhere, and stay without fault.

It's the same device that's at work when you all scapegoat the flaws of your team, or it's lousy fans, onto one player so as to remain separate from the reality that the infection runs deep, and it includes ourselves.

Not either/or. It's AND.

Not at all, he was saying if he got sick every time he might order something else. Essentially saying if he gets sick every time that everyone else who got sick every time should order something else because that would be his answer. Great, that doesnt mean that is the answer for me, perhaps for me I get sick every time because it's bad fish. The only constant here is that we both get sick eating the fish, there a numerous other variables in play. Perhaps he has a fish allergy that he gets sick from, while I'm just getting bad fish?

In other words. no me being critical of the team does not means I should find another team, that isnt going to happen. If were referring to my posts, those arent changing either.

As long as the fans expect the team to fail that's exactly what they are going to get. Yet they will still act betrayed and disappointed when it happens - still haven't figured that one out. If fish made me sick every time I ate any, I sure wouldn't order it every time I went to a restaurant.

Because fan expectations have a direct impact on team performance?

:shrug:

Because fan expectations have a direct impact on team performance?

:shrug:

I think it can.  Now impacting doesn't mean "solely responsible for".  Unless you want to discount that the fans in a stadium can have a positive affect on a team, I'm not sure you can discount the opposite.  If you do feel that way I'm not sure why, considering every athlete I have ever heard has stated the fans do have an affect.

I think it can.  Now impacting doesn't mean "solely responsible for".  Unless you want to discount that the fans in a stadium can have a positive affect on a team, I'm not sure you can discount the opposite.  If you do feel that way I'm not sure why, considering every athlete I have ever heard has stated the fans do have an affect.

I would suggest that the effect is inverse. IE: The team has an impact on the fans. One only has to look to Paul Brown's "Winning makes believers of us all."

I would suggest that the effect is inverse. IE: The team has an impact on the fans. One only has to look to Paul Brown's "Winning makes believers of us all."

So it's one or the other huh?

Exactly! and I'm sure the fans provided the team ample amount of energy to start the game .the team just didn't let it carry throughout the game apparently and unfortunately.. 

Good point. You can't. When the team goes on the road they pump noise into the stadium on the Thursday practice for a reason.

So it's one or the other huh?

In creating a culture in which you suggest the fans impact the players? Yes.

Winning creates and cultivates a culture in which fans believe they have an impact on the players play and as such behave in a manner that may (or may not as I dont think this is anything other than opinion as I dont know of any scientific study on it) impact players play. That culture only comes from winning.

Archived