Funny, we see the fumble the same way but have totally different views of the rest of the game. No way the #3 defense, fully rested from halftime should let SD waltz down the field for an 80 yard TD. That was their chance to completely take over that game and all the momentum and they played like shit. They had seized those moments all year at home and they shrunk. SD had confidence from there and Dalton just helped them build on it. How much different does that game look if the defense forces a turnover there?

I disagree, SD made some adjustments and a few big plays to open the second half took a four point lead, the defense had only give up two scores at point and they game was definitely still in reach. After that score the offense turned the ball over on their next three only had the ball in for less than 2 minutes in the 3rd quarter.

The defense was being put in horrible positions, a short field and no time to rest, and they ultimately broke down but what defense wouldn't under those circumstances. 

The reason why I think Dalton's fumble was the being off the end for that game was because after that play the offense only managed 6 more first downs not caused by penalties until the game was effectively over. 

I feel Gruden is the type of guy who wants to run everything through the pass no matter the situation, no matter what the score is, no matter if the running game is working or not. I think he wants to see that stat line of 30/35, a methodical 350 yards and a few TDs. How many quick hitters did we throw? How many hitches, WR screens, slants that were going there from the get go? Then when he wanted to make some noise, it was going in a certain direction no matter what. He wasn't a game caller/offensive manager at all. He's an idealist and instead of revisiting his game plan in the middle of the game, instead of molding and forming a new plan from there on out, to take advantage of what was working for him, he stuck with his original plan and refused to adjust. Some people can say he's so good he got a HC job because of it... I have to disagree on that. The dude went to freaking Washington who is arguably the butt hole of the NFL right now. The same team who makes crazy decisions after crazy decisions. They caught lightning in a bottle a couple years ago and took advantage of a horrible division to get into the playoffs. Our biggest offseason improvement is this guy leaving. That alone makes this offense more efficient and decreases the turnovers. Here's to Hue Jackson not breaking offensive records; here's to Hue Jackson moving the chains, scoring TDs, and winning football games.

Hue Jackson > Jay Gruden by a 1,000 miles

I disagree, SD made some adjustments and a few big plays to open the second half took a four point lead, the defense had only give up two scores at point and they game was definitely still in reach. After that score the offense turned the ball over on their next three only had the ball in for less than 2 minutes in the 3rd quarter.

The defense was being put in horrible positions, a short field and no time to rest, and they ultimately broke down but what defense wouldn't under those circumstances. 

The reason why I think Dalton's fumble was the being off the end for that game was because after that play the offense only managed 6 more first downs not caused by penalties until the game was effectively over. 

Our team is led by the defense in reality and in salary, they needed to make a fucking play.

Our team is led by the defense in reality and in salary, they needed to make a fucking play.

Holding SD to a field goal after an int. was returned to the 3 was a HUGE fucking play.

Why do some of you girls get so defensive when Andy is given a little constructive criticism?

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were "giving constructive criticism", my bad.  How long have you been giving Dalton constructive criticism exactly?  What's your favorite part of coaching him, and do you have any inside info on his contract negotiations?  Do you think his signing bonus will be larger than the amount of shit that you are full of?

Or are you maybe just complaining about something you have absolutely no control over in a way that is, in fact, not even remotely constructive?

"Constructive criticism".  Yeah, I'm sure he's reading along taking notes.

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were "giving constructive criticism", my bad.  How long have you been giving Dalton constructive criticism exactly?  What's your favorite part of coaching him, and do you have any inside info on his contract negotiations?  Do you think his signing bonus will be larger than the amount of shit that you are full of?

Or are you maybe just complaining about something you have absolutely no control over in a way that is, in fact, not even remotely constructive?

"Constructive criticism".  Yeah, I'm sure he's reading along taking notes.

Actually all of us fans pay him..not Mike Brown. .so Andy better be listening...

Hue Jackson is my biggest reason (hope) to think this year won't be more of the same (good in the regular season, early playoff exit). I agree with whoever said that he may be the Zimmer of the offense, the guy that gets guys like AJ, Gio  and Andy to really elevate themselves and work at being great. I think there is some untapped potential and accessing that is the key to taking the next step IMO.

Completely agree. 

Hue Jackson gets it.  Gruden was a 3rd year OC last year....Jackson has learned for many years and knows the nuances of the NFL and that experience is going to pay off big this upcoming year.  Whole new vibe on offense. 

Rrrrriiiiiggggghhhhhttttt.  Ssssuuuuuurrrreeeee.

Uhh, there is some validity in his statement.  The TV deals would not be anything close to the amount they are without the fans watching.  The money would go away without the fans showing up in the stands.  That said I doubt a fan NFL boycott will happen anytime soon if ever.  Vick was welcomed back to the league to a sold out stadium and for the  season.

It's just the sense I got from watching the game. The fans were agitated (not just in the stands. bathroom conversation was way different at half time than after the first quarter), the players on the sidelines looked different, and I think the guys on the field were losing cohesiveness. I don't have a stat or drive chart to point to. It was an energy thing. It seemed like they had lost the confidence they would win the game, and started worrying about losing the game.

I agree with this.. I think it's also why the fan base needs to look in the mirror some as well.. I'm not blaming anybody (god knows this fan base has reason for it's anxiety), but the difference in "energy" in the stands in our game and the other playoff games was striking.  The fans in Cinci were on the edge of their seats, and you could get the palpable feeling that they were collectively waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Ever walk into a room of really stressed out people an immediately started feeling stress? Or one where everyone was happy/excited and got an emotional boost?  I think most of us can "feel" a collective mood, and realize how it affects us.  It's commonly accepted that the home field advantage fans provide to their team is a very real thing. The players will tell you they feed off the emotion that the fans generate.  I think most people accept that home fans can energize their team, what strikes me is, how few people recognize the reverse is also true...

It's something I began thinking about when I was following LeBron in Cleveland.  When the Cavs would make the playoffs you would get the same feeling from that fanbase... That they were just waiting for everything to fall apart (and it always did). You could "feel" it in the atmosphere at the home games even when they were winning.  A reluctance to cheer, and far too ready to boo and jeer.

I agree with this.. I think it's also why the fan base needs to look in the mirror some as well.. I'm not blaming anybody (god knows this fan base has reason for it's anxiety), but the difference in "energy" in the stands in our game and the other playoff games was striking.  The fans in Cinci were on the edge of their seats, and you could get the palpable feeling that they were collectively waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Ever walk into a room of really stressed out people an immediately started feeling stress? Or one where everyone was happy/excited and got an emotional boost?  I think most of us can "feel" a collective mood, and realize how it affects us.  It's commonly accepted that the home field advantage fans provide to their team is a very real thing. The players will tell you they feed off the emotion that the fans generate.  What strikes me is, how few people recognize the reverse is also true...

It's something I began thinking about when I was following LeBron in Cleveland.  When the Cavs would make the playoffs you would get the same feeling from that fanbase... That they were just waiting for everything to fall apart (and it always did). You could "feel" it in the atmosphere at the home games even when they were winning.  A reluctance to cheer, and far too ready to boo and jeer.

Energy transfer.  After all, we're energy. 

The fans in Cinci were on the edge of their seats, and you could get the palpable feeling that they were collectively waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I think you're right on the whole post, but selected this line to respond to. There is a very good reason for the fans to wait for the other shoe to drop- because it ALWAYS does.

And it's not even solely a Bengals issue. The Reds shit the bed in the playoffs consistently. The Bearcats shit the bed in the tournament consistently. You could even lump the Buckeyes in there for people who are buckeyes fans. It's rough being a fan of sports in Cincinnati. Until someone wins something (fucking anything!!!) I think the fan base will always feel that way and the energy will feel the same. It's brutal.

Archived