Lots of inside info from Lapham

I think it's possible. Not all red flags are the same. A red flag could mean the guy is a little dumb. It could also mean he's a registered sex offender. Given the whole Aaron Hernandez case, I'm sure the night life guys are really worrying a lot of owners, GMs, and coaches. Also, timing. When did the issues take place? Was Hyde out and about at 3am a couple days before the combine? Just thinking outloud here.

Thurman's assertion was that Hyde had hit someone IIRC, Hill got arrested for it.

He wasn't taken off the Bengals' draft board, that much I can tell you 100%.  

:lol:

Obviously hill and Hyde both had red flags. I read somewhere though that hill went above and beyond to show teams why he has moved past that and why some of the things happened in his past (like some packet or something with witness testimonies and stuff). Maybe they felt like he was moving past his issues while Hyde hasn't quite yet.

Idk. I liked Hyde and really wanted him but if they had hill higher that's fine with me.

Obviously hill and Hyde both had red flags. I read somewhere though that hill went above and beyond to show teams why he has moved past that and why some of the things happened in his past (like some packet or something with witness testimonies and stuff). Maybe they felt like he was moving past his issues while Hyde hasn't quite yet.

Idk. I liked Hyde and really wanted him but if they had hill higher that's fine with me.

My only point is they were both very similar in their off field stuff, nothing more.

I think also the fact that Hyde went to college in state may have had a small influence on that decision as well.. Maybe I'm out on a limb, but I could see them feeling that adding some distance between the recruit and where he got into trouble may make it easier to start from a cleaner slate.

I think also the fact that Hyde went to college in state may have had a small influence on that decision as well.. Maybe I'm out on a limb, but I could see them feeling that adding some distance between the recruit and where he got into trouble may make it easier to start from a cleaner slate.

Add in that Hill plays in a superior conference and faces better competition.

I do think they were pretty close though and would have been happy with either.

Yeah should be interesting to see how their careers play out. Hopefully it's not a Chris perry Steven Jackson situation.

Dont think it will be Perry and Jackson were not similar backs imo. Hill and Hyde run very similarly imo.

Add in that Hill plays in a superior conference and faces better competition.

I do think they were pretty close though and would have been happy with either.

I'm happy with Hill.. I'm also leery of Big 10 backs because they tend to get run ragged.  It's comforting to know Hill was in a RBBC situation at LSU, and had a fairly light load during his college career.

I'm happy with Hill.. I'm also leery of Big 10 backs because they tend to get run ragged.  It's comforting to know Hill was in a RBBC situation at LSU, and had a fairly light load during his college career.

Another good point for Hill.

Their numbers are actually about the same Hyde had 208 carries and Hill 203. Buckeyes played 1 more game. 

Hyde only had about 500 career carries over 4 seasons, so he should be fine. 

Some of the other backs, including Chris Perry and some of the Michigan St. backs, had close to 400 carries their final year in school which is crazy and a real disservice to the young men. I think it definitely played a role in those guys having injury troubles. I believe for example Chris Perry had almost 50 carries his senior year against MSU. Shitty job by that coaching staff to do that to a 21 year old.

Their numbers are actually about the same Hyde had 208 carries and Hill 203. Buckeyes played 1 more game. 

Hyde only had about 500 career carries over 4 seasons, so he should be fine. 

Some of the other backs, including Chris Perry and some of the Michigan St. backs, had close to 400 carries their final year in school which is crazy and a real disservice to the young men. I think it definitely played a role in those guys having injury troubles. I believe for example Chris Perry had almost 50 carries his senior year against MSU. Shitty job by that coaching staff to do that to a 21 year old.

Do you know what Hill's career carry numbers were?  I have to admit I formed my opinion of that in ignorance, and assumed Hill had less due to his role on the team.

And I completely agree about Perry..

Do you know what Hill's career carry numbers were?  I have to admit I formed my opinion of that in ignorance, and assumed Hill had less due to his role on the team.

And I completely agree about Perry..

Rushing Attempts by Jeremy Hill

2011 = 0 ATT (Redshirted)

2012 = 142 ATT

2013 = 203 ATT

Total = 345 ATT

I think the number of attempts in college were something like 300 for Hill and 500 for Hyde.  We all read that the largest difference was that Hyde played in a more spread offense and therefore didn't have to make as many moves or reads with large running lanes.  I also think it's a slight factor that Hill is more than a year younger than Hyde.

Both are character risks but I'd put Hill over the top due to (in order of importance):

1. Coming out of a pro style offense - will hopefully allow him to get up to speed quickly with the playbook
  2. Recommendations from people the team trusts at LSU
  3. High performance in the toughest conference in the country (nearly 7ypc last season)
  4. Maturity (sending letter shows he at least cares what his reputation is and tried to meet tough questions head on)
  5. Less carries = more tread on the tires
  6. Age (could possibly get to that 3rd contract before 30 since he's 21)

Dont think it will be Perry and Jackson were not similar backs imo. Hill and Hyde run very similarly imo.

Injuries are what derailed Perry, certainly not lack of talent or potential. He flashed just enough to let you know what you were missing when he was unable to play(which sadly was most of the time.) Who turns out to be better among Hill and Hyde may also be determined by which one remains the healthiest.

Injuries are what derailed Perry, certainly not lack of talent or potential. He flashed just enough to let you know what you were missing when he was unable to play(which sadly was most of the time.) Who turns out to be better among Hill and Hyde may also be determined by which one remains the healthiest.

Oh I agree on both accounts. All im saying here is I think Hilll and Hyde have similar running styles where Perry and Jackson didn't.

My main point is I hope we don't regret passing on the guy most of the fans wanted.

There's an old saying that goes something like this, when coaches start doing what the Fans think, he's working on being right beside them on the couch.

I think this is a really good point.  Him being 3 hours from Cbus could potentially be a problem for a guy who seems to love the nightlife, or so the rumors say..

It could be a problem anywhere, but it would be better if the guy is going out with his teammates and not his college friends.

I think this is a really good point.  Him being 3 hours from Cbus could potentially be a problem for a guy who seems to love the nightlife, or so the rumors say..

It could be a problem anywhere, but it would be better if the guy is going out with his teammates and not his college friends.

And him being an hour and a half from Columbus, which Cincy is, could make matters even worse  :)

Archived