Too much moderation is worse than no moderation

oldschooler

Old... The "fuck you's" and calling each other racist was quickly getting out of hand. We had a complaint, investigated it, and at least 4 of us discussed it and thought it best to let people chill out for a while. If you have any suggestions on a better way to handle it, I'll gladly listen.

Not being facetious at all... because I agree with you that over moderation will kill the spirit of the board... especially this forum.

People need to show others more respect, period. 

I've always been of the belief that people that have polar opposite opinions need to 

be able to communicate their opinions more than people that agree with each other. 

How the hell are we ever going to fix this place (the World and I guess the board too)

if people can't show each other respect? That was my issue all along with this forum.

The rules have been laid out for awhile now. People who can't show respect should have their

posts that show disrespect deleted entirely in my opinion. Instead of shutting down topics to everyone. 

It's like everyone gets punished for the actions of a few. 

Just my advice. 

I've always been of the belief that people that have polar opposite opinions need to 

be able to communicate their opinions more than people that agree with each other. 

How the hell are we ever going to fix this place (the World and I guess the board too)

if people can't show each other respect? That was my issue all along with this forum.

The rules have been laid out for awhile now. People who can't show respect should have their

posts that show disrespect deleted entirely in my opinion. Instead of shutting down topics to everyone. 

Just my advice. 

The topic I think you are referring to was simply locked for a period of time to allow the participants to cool off and to give us a chance to see what needs to be edited and if any action beyond that is necessary.. Just like the "Fuck Israel" thread it was done with every intention of re-opening it for continued discussion.. Temporarily locking the thread prevents things from continuing to get worse while we sort everything out.

I think everyone agrees with you about over moderation. That's why we are erring on the side of caution in these matters..

If it is crossing a line yes it is better than shutting down a whole thread, in my opinion. 

If you have 20 people talking about something civilly or even semi civilly and 1 or 2 who are not

then why should everyone be punished for the actions of a few? 

I mean you can warn them, if it continues delete their posts. If it continues more suspend them. 

I don't know. Just trying to help the board and myself. lol 

I know you all have a hard thankless job. And you can't make everyone happy. 

Just didn't like what Dish said to me and I didn't have the option to respond ... semi civilly. lol

It's no problem and we all appreciate your input.  We are also still learning here and trying to get our mod legs under us.

I don't like commenting on a topic only to have it shut down while I am at work. 

I don't know how others feel, but it's driving me away from this place.

Agree 69%

Locking threads is the most JV thing to do EVER, even more than molesting kids.

If it is crossing a line yes it is better than shutting down a whole thread, in my opinion. 

If you have 20 people talking about something civilly or even semi civilly and 1 or 2 who are not
then why should everyone be punished for the actions of a few? 

I mean you can warn them, if it continues delete their posts. If it continues more suspend them. 

I don't know. Just trying to help the board and myself. lol 

We're still feeling this all out, and I understand that you wanted to reply civilly (*cough* bullshit *cough*) J/K, but I can say that there are individuals who are pushing the limit constantly and we have discussed the very thing you mentioned. We're doing our best to give people enough rope to hang themselves... and then it's on them when the axe falls.

We're still feeling this all out, and I understand that you wanted to reply civilly (*cough* bullshit *cough*) J/K, but I can say that there are individuals who are pushing the limit constantly and we have discussed the very thing you mentioned. We're doing our best to give people enough rope to hang themselves... and then it's on them when the axe falls.

Well, all I ask, is that if you think I'm going too far, then tell me, although I do believe that I tried to avoid that by not responding to the folks that I didn't agree with in that thread until such a point that i was called a racist and race baiter.  And I'm not sorry for saying I think someone who implies that a kid that stole some cigarillos deserves to die is foolish.

Well, all I ask, is that if you think I'm going too far, then tell me, although I do believe that I tried to avoid that by not responding to the folks that I didn't agree with in that thread until such a point that i was called a racist and race baiter.  And I'm not sorry for saying I think someone who implies that a kid that stole some cigarillos deserves to die is foolish.

I was gonna wait till the thread opens back up but that point is still very much up for debate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maA1FUJqhew

Edit: Also this - http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/08/18/1322560/-Ferguson-Store-Owner-Says-NO-ONE-From-His-Store-Called-Cops-To-Report-Cigar-Theft

And therein lies the challenge.  The Mod Team is having to, shall we say, guide some folks into a more respectable posting style.  They're doing a great job overall, but it is still a learning process, one which I believe has made the forum better, or at least a bit more civil.

I do not like suspending folks (OK, I did enjoy banning HayenM), or removing posts, particularly in the J&D forum, though I trust the Mods' judgement when they choose to do so.  Locking the thread and allowing some folks to cool off a touch when needed is, I believe, the best compromise for the topics and passion that reside there.  The thread will be opened up again soon.  

We really do appreciate your patience as we feel our way through what is not always a cut and dry process.

I was gonna wait till the thread opens back up but that point is still very much up for debate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maA1FUJqhew

Edit: Also this - http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/08/18/1322560/-Ferguson-Store-Owner-Says-NO-ONE-From-His-Store-Called-Cops-To-Report-Cigar-Theft

Good catch I hadn't seen that.

But, also this shows the problem with some people not knowing how to act and disagree without resulting to name calling. Those of us who disagree and go back and forth about issues are being hurt by the few. If they don't know how to act suspend their account.

Also, since my post was the last before it got locked but it's been read the most lol. Just to sad that in the 3 mins it took to find a link to news conference it was locked. Kinda of thought it was something I said.

Just my advice. 

"

Holy fuck this is like deja vu. 

Look let me make it clear for you. I don't need to know the whole story.

I know that this kid was unarmed. I know that tax payers provide Officers

with non lethal weapons. When someone is unarmed, non lethal weapons

should be used at all times. There is no justification for shooting an unarmed

person 6 fucking times with a gun. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Comprende? 

So don't bother trying to justify it. Which you sure seem to be doing with

every post. I swear you and Dish seem to be saying basically the same

shit as you did with the Martin case. 

By the way, you don't know the fucking facts either.

Yet here you are, going on and on about it. Shaking my head."

:7:

Did I call anyone a name? Call them anything inflammatory? 

Did I disrespect someone? 

I made a comment and you responded without being prompted.

That was my response. So I am not sure what your point is.

But I usually don't. 

You honestly don't think you disrepsected someone?

Do you think that last sentence is a sign of respect. I get that anyone can go on the internet but this thought process is challenging. You can't call for respect then disrespect people.

You honestly don't think you disrepsected someone?

Do you think that last sentence is a sign of respect. I get that anyone can go on the internet but this thought process is challenging. You can't call for respect then disrespect people.

I honestly don't see a damn thing wrong with anything I said. 

I think you're confused. No disrespect intended. 

WTF, most of us are going back and forth disagreeing and posting links to backup our side.

Stop punishing everybody for what you see as the acts of a few, do something about them and leave us alone.

Why should I get involved in discussions if someone can come along and get the thread hidden while it's going on.

Archived