Is Cincinnati Bengals’ Andy Dalton The Next Peyton Manning?

His actual first 3 years he didn't play at all.      When he actually played he's never been rated below 90 and most the time it's been above 95.

Let me ask you a question. Do you think you would have a better chance of success on any job by being thrown right in, or by being able to watch someone do your job for three years before you took over?

I think that's more hope than reality.    Andy is going to have to answer the bell.    Sure they may be able to get a playoff win "managing" him which is just another nice way of saying hiding him but at some point the guy is going to have make throws and avoid mistakes he hasn't been able to  up to this point, if we want to achieve the Superbowl.

This is a Superbowl capable roster.      I do think it is unfair to focus on the OC when it's starts with Marvin Lewis and should end there but that's a whole other ball of wax.

Just like Seattle "hid" Russel Wilson?

Let me ask you a question. Do you think you would have a better chance of success on any job by being thrown right in, or by being able to watch someone do your job for three years before you took over?

It is a good question but the cold hard reality is there are plenty of guys with experience out there, ie guys like Matt Flynn, Jason Cambell, Brady Quinn, Colt McCoy etc etc.  who will NEVER be close in ability to a guy like Tony Romo.

That said if anyone would have told me on the day we took Andy Dalton, after going 4-12 with Carson,  that we would be constantly bitching about his abilities AFTER he took us to playoffs 3 straight years I would have laughed at you.

I think that's more hope than reality.    Andy is going to have to answer the bell.    Sure they may be able to get a playoff win "managing" him which is just another nice way of saying hiding him but at some point the guy is going to have make throws and avoid mistakes he hasn't been able to  up to this point, if we want to achieve the Superbowl.

This is a Superbowl capable roster.      I do think it is unfair to focus on the OC when it's starts with Marvin Lewis and should end there but that's a whole other ball of wax.

This is a Super Bowl capable roster that has played like they are auditioning for  the Toilet Bowl the last three years. The Chargers coaching staff probably didn't even bother to look at the regular season games when they were preparing to play the Bengals in the playoffs. They just followed the Houston Texans formula for success the two previous years. And came within 4 yards of 200 yards rushing against the Bengals in January. Usually rushing yards gained is the only stat you need to look at to see who wins a game in the NFL.

If Romo had been SF's QB the last 8 years they would probably have 2 Championships.

The only thing that has prevented Dallas from becoming a total national joke has been the fact they have had very good QBs on their roster during the last 10 years.  Even Bledsoe and  a 41 year old Testeverde  were better than anything Cleveland has had the last 10 years.

Dalton performed the job at a certain level and then during the critical part performed well below the level he established himself.    Everyone understands job training, experience, and learning.

I can't think of a job in which you can show up 16 times and perform great 6 times and poorly 6 times and average 4 times and then during the most critical part perform your worse and they'll blindly chalk it up to inexperience and assume you'll just as good as co-workers performing at higher level.

That kind of thinking only happens in here.  

This is a Super Bowl capable roster that has played like they are auditioning for  the Toilet Bowl the last three years. The Chargers coaching staff probably didn't even bother to look at the regular season games when they were preparing to play the Bengals in the playoffs. They just followed the Houston Texans formula for success the two previous years. And came within 4 yards of 200 yards rushing against the Bengals in January. Usually rushing yards gained is the only stat you need to look at to see who wins a game in the NFL.

The San Diego secondary said they saw Dalton throw 4 Ints against the Ravens and knew they would get opportunities because he was going to throw them the ball.

The world's greatest secondary the San Diego 2013 super chargers talkin that smack.  

I normally stay out of the Dalton threads,as I get tired of reading about how bad/choke/noodle armed he is,when none of this is true.The haters don't hate for any real reason;they simply hate.I remember ol' noodle armed Drew Brees getting benched for 41 year old DOUG FLUTIE in his 3rd season.Dalton has improved every year,and most great QB's don't hit their stride until their 4th or 5th year.I believe this year will be Dalton's.

When reading this tiresome Dalton bashing over and over,I begin to believe the Tibor is making a valid point and not trolling in regards to Bengals fans.

Dalton performed the job at a certain level and then during the critical part performed well below the level he established himself.    Everyone understands job training, experience, and learning.

I can't think of a job in which you can show up 16 times and perform great 6 times and poorly 6 times and average 4 times and then during the most critical part perform your worse and they'll blindly chalk it up to inexperience and assume you'll just as good as co-workers performing at higher level.

That kind of thinking only happens in here.

Why don't you just say, you decline to answer the question? You are the king of taking what someone else ask you and giving some incredibly non answer relating back to some other Scharm idea. Q

Why don't you just say, you decline to answer the question? You are the king of taking what someone else ask you and giving some incredibly non answer relating back to some other Scharm idea. Q

Kenny,  we all know when Dalton's performance to date is questioned you and others are going to present excuses to explain the reality.     So we don't need your questions designed at promoting whatever is the excuse of the day. 

Just talk to the point.    How does lack of experience automatically assume he's going perform at Romo's level?    Why don't you just say he's not at that level instead of giving some incredibly long avoidance of reality?

The San Diego secondary said they saw Dalton throw 4 Ints against the Ravens and knew they would get opportunities because he was going to throw them the ball.

The world's greatest secondary the San Diego 2013 super chargers talkin that smack.  

No argument here. Dalton played the game like a Bengal in January...and that's never been a good thing. But I don't think it will always be this way, for Dalton and all the other Bengals.

[quote name="scharm" post="1371696" timestamp="1408721643"]

The world's greatest secondary the San Diego 2013 super chargers talkin that smack.  [/quote

I like most of your posts but your getting over the top extreme on bashing him here. Jmo carry on

Guys, we really do love to beat on a dead horse, right???

:46:  :2dedhorse:  :2dedhorse:

It's like every topic is automatically warped into a Love Andy/Hate Andy discussion.  I don't come here to grow a migraine.

Can't we all just get along---if only for one damn day?!

:kumbaya:

Andy Dalton's stats similar to young Peyton Manning; It Doesn't Matter

By Jason Marcum @JasonB_Marcum on Aug 25 2014, 9:41a 

Andy Dalton, Peyton Manning and Cam Newton are the only NFL passers to top 3000 yards in each of their first three seasons.

Statistically, the first three years of Andy Dalton's career have been among the best in NFL history. Few signal-callers have got off to the kind of start Dalton has.

In fact, this year he’ll bid to join the Ravens' Joe Flacco as the only starting QBs in the Super Bowl era to lead a team to postseason in each of his first four seasons.

In 2013, Dalton became the fifth starting QB to reach playoffs his first three seasons, joining Flacco (’08-10), Pat Haden of the Rams (1976-78), Dan Marino of the Dolphins (’83-85) and Bernie Kosar of the Browns (’85-87)

Dalton, Peyton Manning and Cam Newton are the only NFL passers to top 3000 yards in each of their first three seasons.

Speaking of Manning, Dalton's career to this point has been statistically similar to the future Pro Football Hall of Famer.

While this is nice, Chris Chase of USA Today Sports pointed out why numbers can be very deceiving, especially early on in a player's NFL career.

1. Among the most similar players to Dalton (according to pro-football-reference.com): Jim Kelly, Bernie Kosar, Joe Namath, Ben Roethlisberger, Fran Tarkenton

Also on that list: Ken O'Brien, Steve Grogan, Marc Bulger

2. Dalton made one Pro Bowl in his first three seasons, just like Tom Brady.

Dalton made one Pro Bowl in his first three seasons, just like Derek Anderson.

3. Dalton has the 22nd best QB rating in NFL history. That places him ahead of John Elway, Phil Simms, Warren Moon, Eli Manning and Joe Flacco.

Dalton ranks one spot behind David Garrard, who is No. 21.

4. Dalton threw 33 touchdown passes in his third season, the same as Peyton Manning did in 2000.

Scott Mitchell threw 32 touchdown passes in his third season as a starter (1995).

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/8/25/6065283/andy-dalton-numbers-nfl-young-peyton-manning

Some of the same folks that constantly bash Dalton for his playoff/"big game" performance are in here singing the praises of Tony frickin' Romo. 

Classic.

Not me, it wasn't intended to be a complement from me, of course unsurprisingly others took it that way, though I'm sure they knew my intent. 

Archived