Tyler Eifert, Vontaze Burfict injured

Tyler Eifert, Vontaze Burfict injured
Updated: September 7, 2014, 3:41 PM ET
By Coley Harvey | ESPN.com

BALTIMORE -- Cincinnati Bengals tight end Tyler Eifert and linebacker Vontaze Burfict have both been ruled out after sustaining injuries in Sunday's physical game against the Ravens.

Eifert left late in the first quarter with an elbow injury. Burfict left with a concussion. Burfict was run from the game at the end of the second quarter when he struck Baltimore quarterback Joe Flacco hard. Under the extreme pressure, Flacco still delivered a perfectly placed pass despite being pushed violently onto his backside by Burfict. The pass was dropped by Flacco's receiver.

Burfict had trouble getting himself off the turf after the play. After he originally stood up, he wobbled back to a knee twice. He also was jawing briefly with Ravens players who seemed to take exception to him hitting Flacco as he threw. Eventually, trainers helped Burfict to the sideline, where they evaluated him before leading him in near the half.

[+] Enlargenfl_a_eff3_cr_300x200.jpg
AP Photo/Nick WassTyler Eifert, who struggled with a shoulder injury throughout the preseason, left Sunday's season opener with an elbow injury.

Before leaving the game, Burfict had four tackles, a pass deflection and forced and recovered a fumble when he stripped Ravens running back Bernard Pierce. Burfict also had one tackle for loss on another Pierce carry.

Eifert's elbow injury came as the Bengals were driving on their final drive of the opening quarter. Quarterback Andy Dalton delivered a 20-yard pass to Eifert, who spun around as he avoided a tackler before leaving his feet. When Eifert awkwardly landed, he immediately grabbed his right arm and could be seen screaming in pain as teammates waved the trainers onto the field.

The tight end was only down for about two minutes before trainers and teammates helped him to his feet. Fellow tight ends Jermaine Gresham and Alex Smith were among those who tapped Eifert on the helmet as he walked off the field holding his right arm close to his body. He was immediately rushed into the locker room for observation. Eifert had three catches for 37 yards before leaving the game.

The injury came on the same play the Bengals finally threw a tight end seam pass, a play they had incorporated often in open training-camp practices, but one they shied from discussing much about. It also was the longest reception Eifert had.

He was replaced by a combination of Gresham and Smith. Eifert and Gresham had opened the game in a two-tight end formation. Eifert returned to the sideline in the second half and near the start of the fourth quarter, he was seen out of uniform with his right arm in a sling.

This latest injury comes on the heels of a frustrating preseason for Eifert, who had a nagging shoulder injury that kept him out of organized team activities and minicamp.

Burfict missed parts of the last two weeks of practice after a hamstring injury popped up in the Week 3 preseason game at Arizona.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11482685/tyler-eifert-vontaze-burfict-cincinnati-bengals-injured-baltimore-ravens

As far as injuries, a positive that is being overlooked (imho) is we are
going to get back Dennard next week.
And did out D secondary look like they could use him, based on what
limited play we have seen.

Secondary worries me. Did our guys play shit or were there lots of coverage break downs? I don't know?

Secondary worries me. Did our guys play shit or were there lots of coverage break downs? I don't know?

Guenther was going balls out on a lot of blitzes, leaving our corners on their own. I think the whole defense will evolve in the next few weeks into what will hopefully be a dominant season

there is nothing wrong with the defense.  they saved the day.  the offense looked smooth at times under Hue, but also looked very shitty and stalled out on way too many drives.  This game shouldn't even have been close.  Credit the Ravens for holding them to field goals, but damn, this offense was out of sync in spots when it mattered all day(aside from bomb to AJ).

Sounding like dislocated elbow and he's a candidate for non season ending IR which means he's out until at least week 8.

It's going to be tough to get through the next month or so without both Eifert and Jones. Especially since Gresham looked like shit today. 

Green, Sanu and Bernard are the only 3 guys I really trust in the passing game now. 

We could weather 1 injury to our top 5 targets, but 2 is shitty. 

It's going to be tough to get through the next month or so without both Eifert and Jones. Especially since Gresham looked like shit today. 

Green, Sanu and Bernard are the only 3 guys I really trust in the passing game now. 

We could weather 1 injury to our top 5 targets, but 2 is shitty. 

Atlanta and Tennessee aren't top 5 defenses or anything and Marvin is expected back week 5.

I think Hue can draw up a couple successful game plans for us. Just hope we are a little more healthy for the game at NE.

Fox sports is saying the Bengals hope its only a few weeks for Eifert since it popped right back in

Thats what I thought when I saw it back in a few mins later on the sidelines. I've seen worse elbow injuries where people have come back a few months. Id think maybe 4-8 weeks.

Atlanta and Tennessee aren't top 5 defenses or anything and Marvin is expected back week 5.

I think Hue can draw up a couple successful game plans for us. Just hope we are a little more healthy for the game at NE.

Yeah, it's just a tough spot.

We really want to run 2 TEs, but if it's Smith and Gresham, that doesn't work all that well since Smith can't split out wide and Gresham struggles mentally if you put too much on his plate. 

So if 2 TEs doesn't much work, then you can go 3 WRs, but with Jones out your options aren't great there either. Who's the 3rd? Sanzenbacher? Tate?

Hopefully Jones will be back on the optimistic timeline of week 5 (that doesn't seem like a sure thing though). 

The news on Eifert sounds pretty positive all things considered, so hopefully he is back soon.

Fingers crossed on Eifert's elbow. Jay Glazer reporting that it popped back in right away and he might only miss a month or less certainly gives me some hope. It looked pretty nasty on the field and I was immediately thinking he might be out far longer than that, possibly for the season.

Burfict and Atkins should both be fine so at least we dodged a couple of bullets. Burfict was really missed and the defense wasn't the same without him.

Archived