Tyler Eifert, Vontaze Burfict injured

Could grab Stephen Hill off the Panthers practice squad.

Big target with a long stride that wasn't properly utliziled in NY.

Comes with an outspoken agent and perhaps some maturity issues, but it's not like they're a bunch of gems out there right now.

Might be better to replace a TE with a TE, rather than Hill.  Marvin Jones will be back pretty soon.

Might be better to replace a TE with a TE, rather than Hill.  Marvin Jones will be back pretty soon.

well that TE of Eifert was basically playing like a WR. And we need a guy to play for 2 weeks.

Could grab Stephen Hill off the Panthers practice squad.

Big target with a long stride that wasn't properly utliziled in NY.

Comes with an outspoken agent and perhaps some maturity issues, but it's not like they're a bunch of gems out there right now.

I'd be all for him or Jacoby Ford. Heck maybe Hue + Urban can tap some of that potential from Stephen Hill.

I agree. When Charles was drafted, he was drafted to be the Aaron Hernandez role (minus being a sociopath murderer)... and then they waste his talents by trying to turn him into a FB.

Have you considered the possibility that they only undertook the FB project with Charles after deciding he did not have what it takes to play TE in the NFL? BTW, how do you know what role Charles was drafted to fill? Its unlikely a guy with 4.82 wheels could play "Joker" TE in the NFL.

Tyler Eifert put on short-term IR
Updated: September 10, 2014, 1:03 PM ET

By Coley Harvey | ESPN.com

CINCINNATI -- The Bengals placed tight end Tyler Eifert on injured reserve with a designation to return due to the elbow injury he suffered in Sunday's game, coach Marvin Lewis said in his weekly news conference Wednesday.

Through a league source, ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter had previously reported the move.

[+] Enlargenfl_a_eff3_cr_300x200.jpg
AP Photo/Nick WassTyler Eifert, who struggled with a shoulder injury throughout the preseason, left Sunday's season opener with an elbow injury.

NFL teams are allowed to use the IR designation in just one case each season. Under the guidelines of the rule, Eifert won't be eligible to practice for six weeks and can't return to game action for eight weeks. Last year, former Bengals receiver Andrew Hawkins was placed on the short-term IR with an ankle injury he suffered during a preseason practice. He returned Week 9 when the Bengals traveled to Miami.

Eifert was approached by reporters before Lewis' news conference but declined to comment until after the coach issued his statement. The tight end indicated he may speak later this week.

Near the end of the first quarter of the Bengals' 23-16 win against the Ravens, Eifert took an awkward fall at the end of a 14-yard reception that put Cincinnati in goal-line territory. He immediately clutched his right arm as soon as he was down, and teammates standing nearby quickly waved training staff over. After a couple minutes on the ground, Eifert was eventually helped to his feet and taken into the locker room for observations.

The Bengals haven't formally said what the injury is other than that it was to his elbow. Video replays of the reception seem to indicate he dislocated the elbow while reaching for the ground as he was going down.

In the second half of Sunday's game, Eifert was seen on the sidelines with his right arm bandaged and in a sling.

He continued to wear the same apparatus on Wednesday.

This latest injury comes on the heels of a frustrating preseason for Eifert, who had a nagging shoulder injury that kept him out of organized team activities and minicamp. Now, the Bengals turn to reserve Alex Smith, undrafted rookie Ryan Hewitt and starter Jermaine Gresham to help fill the void caused by Eifert's injury.

With receiver Marvin Jones also out until after the Week 4 bye, the Bengals will need to get a little creative offensively these next games. Receiver Mohamed Sanu and running backs Jeremy Hill and Giovani Bernard should take on even bigger roles.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11499257/cincinnati-bengals-place-tyler-eifert-short-term-injured-reserve

• 1 month later...

Not sure if anyone else saw this from Hobson:

Eifert is eligible to practice Wednesday and play against Cleveland Nov. 6, but that's not going to happen. How he’s progressing is anyone’s guess. He’s out of the sling, but it is going to depend on how much he can bend the elbow. He could be ready by the 10th game in New Orleans on Nov. 16. 

Not sure if anyone else saw this from Hobson:

Yeah.    He (Eifert) was on the radio a few days ago.    This is going to be like Marvin Jones watch and hopefully with a better outcome.

The telling sign will be when he joins practice and what he does.   Hopefully there is an Eifert sighting this week doing work on the side etc. 

I don't get it. He says Eifer could play against cleveland but no chance, then the next thing he says is the way he is progressing is anybody's guess?

wtf is going on man. i thought it was weird that we had gotten practically ZERO updates on eifert since he got injured.

I don't get it. He says Eifer could play against cleveland but no chance, then the next thing he says is the way he is progressing is anybody's guess?

This is not inside information (disclaimer).    The story going around on the radio told by Eifert then Dave Lapham is that he took his brace off he was feeling really good.   Then went to the doctor a few days later and the Doc told him he could take the brace off because he was responding well.    Eifert was like,  Ooops.

So that's a positive.   But when I heard Eifert talking about getting back to actual football it was a bunch pauses and stuff.     So we are now into Eifert watch and seeing if he ever joins practice.

It'd be nice to have him available for Cleveland and maybe get light action then a long break before New Orleans.    

I just hope this isn't like Marvin Jones were you think he's close and then boom something strange happens and he's gone to IR. 

When a player doesn't want to answer questions about when he will be back and in all honesty, didn't sound all that excited to get back... it is never good news.   My guess being a cynic is Gresh will be highlighted to increase his trade value and Eifert will sit for a few more weeks.

I think just because he is out of slings and braces does not mean his arm is back to full strength, the strength it was before the injury.  Just being immobilized for that long is going to cause it to lose some of it.

Being able to play and play well (ie hold on to the ball, etc.) are not the same thing.

Also the confidence factor that Atkins seems to be struggling with now.

Yeah, we want him back but back 100% and not rushed into it without a full all around recovery.

I think just because he is out of slings and braces does not mean his arm is back to full strength, the strength it was before the injury.  Just being immobilized for that long is going to cause it to lose some of it.

Being able to play and play well (ie hold on to the ball, etc.) are not the same thing.

Also the confidence factor that Atkins seems to be struggling with now.

Yeah, we want him back but back 100% and not rushed into it without a full all around recovery.

At this rate, the team could be out of it before the New Orleans game. The earliest he can get on the field, the better. 

This is the Bengals under Marvin Lewis. No one comes back from injury before they are supposed to (except Leon Hall, Carson Palmer). If this was Denver, he would have been back in a couple of weeks. Not to say they are exactly the same, but Knowshon came back from a dislocated elbow in a month.  

He is a first rounder.  Our first rounders have their balls massaged every time they are injured.  

He is a first rounder.  Our first rounders have their balls massaged every time they are injured.  

I get that you would like him to be 100% out there, just as I get that you don't want AJ Green to not feel pain while playing, but its time to face reality right now:

vs Ravens

vs Jaguars

vs. Browns (national television)

at Saints

at texans

at Bucs

vs Steelers

at browns

vs. Broncos

at Steelers

Right now the Ravens game is at even. I only count 4 out of our final 10 games where I expect the Bengals to be favored (vs Browns, at Bucs, vs Steelers, vs Jags). This remaining schedule is no cakewalk and if they don't start playing remarkably better, there is no playoffs this season. 

My guess being a cynic is Gresh will be highlighted to increase his trade value and Eifert will sit for a few more weeks.

As much as I like the idea of trading Gresham his trade value can't be much higher than 6th or 7th round pick, and that's after being highlighted against Carolina and Indy. (16 receptions). 

So I'm guessing they keep him, mostly because they couldn't give him away.

I get that you would like him to be 100% out there, just as I get that you don't want AJ Green to not feel pain while playing, but its time to face reality right now:

vs Ravens

vs Jaguars

vs. Browns (national television)

at Saints

at texans

at Bucs

vs Steelers

at browns

vs. Broncos

at Steelers

Right now the Ravens game is at even. I only count 4 out of our final 10 games where I expect the Bengals to be favored (vs Browns, at Bucs, vs Steelers, vs Jags). This remaining schedule is no cakewalk and if they don't start playing remarkably better, there is no playoffs this season. 

I think you may be confused.  I expect highly paid NFL players to play hurt sometimes.  Gronkowski came back too early on a few occasions during crunch time, the fans love him for it.

Obviously if AJ  can't run then its is useless to put him out their.   I have never heard of someone breaking a bone in their foot being out an entire year (Jones) considering it happened a month BEFORE the season started.  

In Eifert's defense, that was a nasty looking injury.

Archived