Despite another first-round playoff exit, Marvin Lewis holds Andy Dalton in high regard.

andy-dalton.jpg?w=639&h=426

In case you were wondering, Andy Dalton remains very much in the plans of the Cincinnati Bengals. At least, according to the head coach.

Marvin Lewis spoke optimistically of his embattled quarterback Monday, one day after the Bengals went one-and-done in the postseason for the fourth consecutive year with Dalton under center.

"I think that he continued to grow, which is great," Lewis said of Dalton's season. "I think that working with a new influence with (offensive coordinator) Hue (Jackson) and so forth and to see that relationship continue to grow forward. Andy had a lot of pressure on his plate coming into this season and he dealt with it and handled it. And he won another 10 football games.

"He continues to be very durable and resilient. I am glad he is on our team as we continue to move forward. And I'm looking forward to him even having his best season ever next season."

As a follow, Lewis was asked if he expected more from Dalton, who led to the Bengals to just 10 points against the Colts and finished the game averaging just 4.4 yards per attempt.

"We always want more from all of our players. That is staying within the moment though," he said. "That is part of the moment. We want to have less interceptions. I think that's true, and I think we all recognize that."

Lewis appeared to go out of his way to take Dalton off the hook for a game in which both A.J. Green and Jermaine Greshammissed due to injury. Lewis even drew a comparison to Tom Brady, noting that the Patriots star struggled at points last year without some of his trusted targets.

"Yesterday I don't attribute as much to the quarterback as guys did not respond," he said. "I think the quarterback did what he could do to get it done."

That's probably not what frustrated Bengals fans want to hear right now. Lewis clearly sees Dalton in a way others don't -- as a young quarterback with room to grow rather than a four-year veteran who's already reached his ceiling.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000454623/article/bengals-lewis-on-dalton-i-am-glad-he-is-on-our-team?campaign=Facebook_atn_hanzus

The key line in that article is, "That's probably not what frustrated Bengals fans want to hear right now."  

I don't know what else Marvin could (or should) say.  Frankly, I don't envy him right now.  It's interesting that Paul Guenther's put a couple people out on front street in the last two days.  Was that with Marvin's blessing, or did he go rogue?

This is the type of shit that makes you realize that Marvin will never win a Super Bowl, seriously wtf is he talking about in regards to Andy? The way this organization coddles Dalton is sickening, they continue to reward mediocrity and make every excuse for him when it's obvious that he's not the guy to win a Super Bowl. 

I'm grateful to Marvin and what he accomplished during his tenure as the Bengals HC, he revived this franchise and made it was is today. However, to get to the next step it's going to take some one with some fire in their belly that can motivate guys on the big stages and won't settle for mediocrity. But when ownership is happy just making the playoffs what do you expect, until they demand more from the franchise the Bengals will be lead by Mediocre Marvin and his trusty sidekick Andy Dalton. 

This is the type of shit that makes you realize that Marvin will never win a Super Bowl, seriously wtf is he talking about in regards to Andy? The way this organization coddles Dalton is sickening, they continue to reward mediocrity and make every excuse for him when it's obvious that he's not the guy to win a Super Bowl. 

I'm grateful to Marvin and what he accomplished during his tenure as the Bengals HC, he revived this franchise and made it was is today. However, to get to the next step it's going to take some one with some fire in their belly that can motivate guys on the big stages and won't settle for mediocrity. But when ownership is happy just making the playoffs what do you expect, until they demand more from the franchise the Bengals will be lead by Mediocre Marvin and his trusty sidekick Andy Dalton. 

I think everything you're saying is valid, but the fact that you defend Jermaine Gresham contradicts all of the points you make. 

I think everything you're saying is valid, but the fact that you defend Jermaine Gresham contradicts all of the points you make. 

lol...Gresham isn't the monster many make him out to be, I think in a different system with a better QB he can put up elite numbers. Yes he does goofy shit like sticking the ball out trying to get extra yards with 3 defenders around him, but I attribute that to him trying to over compensate and make the most out of his limited opportunities. Bashing him because he was hurt was bush league to me, especially for a former player like Lapham, he has only missed 6 games in 5 years. 

I can easily see Gresham leaving Cincy and becoming a star, he has the ability. 

lol...Gresham isn't the monster many make him out to be, I think in a different system with a better QB he can put up elite numbers. Yes he does goofy shit like sticking the ball out trying to get extra yards with 3 defenders around him, but I attribute that to him trying to over compensate and make the most out of his limited opportunities. Bashing him because he was hurt was bush league to me, especially for a former player like Lapham, he has only missed 6 games in 5 years. 

I can easily see Gresham leaving Cincy and becoming a star, he has the ability. 

Hobson says he's long gone, Dehner says the coaches don't want him around, Lapham says he should have been able to play. These are three guys who know people in and around the organization. Maybe, just maybe he is the cancer that he seems to be from afar. 

Sticking the ball out with three defenders on you isn't "goofy", in the same way that throwing into triple coverage isn't "goofy". These are actions that lose games, plain and simple. I don't care if he tries too hard to make plays. If these actions negatively affect the team, they need to cease immediately. Walking off the field during a game last year isn't "goofy" its quitting on every other member of the team. it's putting yourself over everyone else in the organization and it never should have been tolerated in the way that it was. Sadly its the same story, year in and year out with him.

I also remember week 1 when he decided to stop on a crossing route, costing his team a TD. I also remember week 5 when he stopped on a crossing route, costing his team another TD. I also remember Thursday night against Cleveland when he decided to (wait for it) stop on a crossing route, causing an interception. His "goofy" antics are old and tired. 

Showing Jermaine Gresham (and his ilk) the door won't come close to solving all of the Bengals' problems, but it is a clear step in the right direction . The fact that the same team that allowed Chad Johnson to stay around for 9 seasons is so willing to remove him from the premises speaks to the type of character that he is. Good riddance!

Hobson says he's long gone, Dehner says the coaches don't want him around, Lapham says he should have been able to play. These are three guys who know people in and around the organization. Maybe, just maybe he is the cancer that he seems to be from afar. 

Sticking the ball out with three defenders on you isn't "goofy", in the same way that throwing into triple coverage isn't "goofy". These are actions that lose games, plain and simple. I don't care if he tries too hard to make plays. If these actions negatively affect the team, they need to cease immediately. Walking off the field during a game last year isn't "goofy" its quitting on every other member of the team. it's putting yourself over everyone else in the organization and it never should have been tolerated in the way that it was. Sadly its the same story, year in and year out with him.

I also remember week 1 when he decided to stop on a crossing route, costing his team a TD. I also remember week 5 when he stopped on a crossing route, costing his team another TD. I also remember Thursday night against Cleveland when he decided to (wait for it) stop on a crossing route, causing an interception. His "goofy" antics are old and tired. 

Showing Jermaine Gresham (and his ilk) the door won't come close to solving all of the Bengals' problems, but it is a clear step in the right direction . The fact that the same team that allowed Chad Johnson to stay around for 9 seasons is so willing to remove him from the premises speaks to the type of character that he is. Good riddance!

Hobson, Denher, and Lapham told us Eifert would be back soon after his week 1 injury and Burfict would only miss a few weeks, 

As for the coaches, they think that Dalton is the guy to get them to the Super Bowl, so yeah....

As for Gresham, I heard that dude has mental health issues, like he's on prescribed medication. If he stays or goes, it doesn't really matter to me. I just don't hate the guy like you do, I don't think he's what's holding this team back from winning a playoff game. 

Hobson, Denher, and Lapham told us Eifert would be back soon after his week 1 injury and Burfict would only miss a few weeks, 

As for the coaches, they think that Dalton is the guy to get them to the Super Bowl, so yeah....

As for Gresham, I heard that dude has mental health issues, like he's on prescribed medication. If he stays or goes, it doesn't really matter to me. I just don't hate the guy like you do, I don't think he's what's holding this team back from winning a playoff game. 

Would not be surprising in the least, just based on observation... 

Well it's not like he's going to throw Dalton under the bus. It would basically put him in the category of pointing the finger. One thing Marvin tries to avoid is making excuses. Whether or not the formula will be a success long term he's not going to comment negatively on it while it's in place.

Basically, in other news the sky is blue.

Well it's not like he's going to throw Dalton under the bus. It would basically put him in the category of pointing the finger. One thing Marvin tries to avoid is making excuses. Whether or not the formula will be a success long term he's not going to comment negatively on it while it's in place.

Basically, in other news the sky is blue.

It is a time-honored coach-speak used by some to avoid giving red meat to sound bite seeking media hacks to feed the mouth breathing fan bases to grind over ad nauseum on message boards.

ML is quite good at it.

Yes that's what they said initially, but after a few weeks they were the one's saying they weren't going to be coming back. The coaches are ignoramuses, I get it. That doesn't mean they don't see what we all see on here. Gresham and all of his issues are a detriment to winning. 

I could care less about his mental problems. That's the Bengals fault for bringing him here in the first place. There are 52 other players on the team who deserve better than Gresham. I didn't say Gresham, alone, was holding this team back, but showing him the door is a great start in exercising the demons within the organization. he's a head-case whose on-the-field production doesn't come close to making up for all of his issues, plain and simple 

Marvin's first act or one of his first was to back Kitna.   The organization then paid a bonus despite not having to.      Now that Marvin is always on a 1 or 2 year contract he isn't going to go the opposite direction and start fucking with his Qb position. 

Those two are tied together.  

On Gresh:   The question that would/should be asked,   would they have played Hewitt, Gresh, and Eifert together?    IMO, they have a hard enough time figuring out Gio/Hill etc then mixing them with Sanu and other slot options.    No, IMO.

Can you trust Eifert to be around for a whole season?  No.      Is Gresh going to sign a contract with a cap value equal/higher that his recent 4.8m number?  Yes.

Gresh's production in the passing can be replaced fairly easily.      Eifert and Hewitt can replace his blocking.    However,  you need to find a blocking TE on the cheap.

I don't hate Gresh like some others but we don't need a 5-7m cap number for what he gives you.  If all of sudden his market is in the 2-3m cap range, sign him.

Bottomline this past season came up GOLD for Gresh.   His main competition got hurt early.   Then a 2nd/3rd Wr option never came about consistently.   Gio got hurt.    Gresh could/should have put up numbers to crush this offseason.   He didn't.    It's not going to happen, however there is probably a few teams that are going to bite on the potential still making him too expensive.

Marvin's first act or one of his first was to back Kitna.   The organization then paid a bonus despite not having to.      Now that Marvin is always on a 1 or 2 year contract he isn't going to go the opposite direction and start fucking with his Qb position. 

Those two are tied together.  

On Gresh:   The question that would/should be asked,   would they have played Hewitt, Gresh, and Eifert together?    IMO, they have a hard enough time figuring out Gio/Hill etc then mixing them with Sanu and other slot options.    No, IMO.

Can you trust Eifert to be around for a whole season?  No.      Is Gresh going to sign a contract with a cap value equal/higher that his recent 4.8m number?  Yes.

Gresh's production in the passing can be replaced fairly easily.      Eifert and Hewitt can replace his blocking.    However,  you need to find a blocking TE on the cheap.

I don't hate Gresh like some others but we don't need a 5-7m cap number for what he gives you.  If all of sudden his market is in the 2-3m cap range, sign him.

Bottomline this past season came up GOLD for Gresh.   His main competition got hurt early.   Then a 2nd/3rd Wr option never came about consistently.   Gio got hurt.    Gresh could/should have put up numbers to crush this offseason.   He didn't.    It's not going to happen, however there is probably a few teams that are going to bite on the potential still making him too expensive.

I don't think so. We all thought that about Andre Smith and no one came calling. These teams are not going to invest in players that they cannot trust. Gresham is essentially the mental equivalent of Albert Haynesworth without the huge on-the-field upside? Whose going to pay for that?

I don't think so. We all thought that about Andre Smith and no one came calling. These teams are not going to invest in players that they cannot trust. Gresham is essentially the mental equivalent of Albert Haynesworth without the huge on-the-field upside? Whose going to pay for that?

A few factors:

1. There were a bunch of Free Agent tackles that year with a solid rookie class. 

2. The league was still adjusting to the new CBA so it was a soft market a bunch of teams didn't have cap room.

3. Andre had bigger demands and it screwed him because the money dried up 

He still signed a deal 5/6 cap hits.

Much better market today.   You got cap growth and more teams have better cap situations.  There isn't a whole lot of 1st round TE prospects this year. 

I don't hate Gresham anymore, mostly because I know he's about to become someone elses problem.

In fact, it's reached the point where I can't even ratchet up any feelings of anger or rage when I think about the guy....although I admit I still get pissed when I see his picture.

But I know that's just my inner lizard brain reacting instinctively, and even those displays of emotion will become rare with the passage of time.

I remind myself how my sphincter no longer puckers at the mere sight of Chad Johnson. (Or clown shoes.)

That said, the idea of retaining Jermain Gresham simply because he couldn't find suitors in FA willing to pay very much strikes me as a very bad fucking idea. 

Some might even call it pucker inducing.

Bottom Line, I've waited more than four years for this moment to come, and I'd hate to see it spoiled simply because the rest of the NFL showed so little interest in Gresham that his price became cheaper than expected.

I don't hate Gresham anymore, mostly because I know he's about to become someone elses problem.

In fact, it's reached the point where I can't even ratchet up any feelings of anger or rage when I think about the guy....although I admit I still get pissed when I see his picture.

But I know that's just my inner lizard brain reacting instinctively, and even those displays of emotion will become rare with the passage of time.

I remind myself how my sphincter no longer puckers at the mere sight of Chad Johnson. (Or clown shoes.)

That said, the idea of retaining Jermain Gresham simply because he couldn't find suitors in FA willing to pay very much strikes me as a very bad fucking idea. 

Some might even call it pucker inducing.

Bottom Line, I've waited more than four years for this moment to come, and I'd hate to see it spoiled simply because the rest of the NFL showed so little interest in Gresham that his price became cheaper than expected.

Can't ratchet up any feelings yet gives 7 lines of thought, lol.

Can't ratchet up any feelings yet gives 7 lines of thought, lol.

Now you're getting it.

You're fucking with my newfound feelings of inner peace and tranquility.

The Bengals don't want Gresham anymore. They're not even trying to hide it.

And Gresham doesn't want to be here either.

He wants a fresh start...just like the one Chad got.

Why fuck all of that up just because there's a chance he may go begging in FA?

A few factors:

1. There were a bunch of Free Agent tackles that year with a solid rookie class. 

2. The league was still adjusting to the new CBA so it was a soft market a bunch of teams didn't have cap room.

3. Andre had bigger demands and it screwed him because the money dried up 

He still signed a deal 5/6 cap hits.

Much better market today.   You got cap growth and more teams have better cap situations.  There isn't a whole lot of 1st round TE prospects this year. 

I hope you're right. I hope someone (preferably someone in the AFC North) gives him a bucket of guaranteed money. As Lapham said, anything over $1 for him is a waste of money. 

Archived