Who are we going to release?

Right.. Because he isn't cutting it... I know you will probably roll your eyes, but I simply have to give Zim's praise more weight than your eyes. And regardless, Peko is not payed like a premium player. This year he is set to make around 3MM. And once again, I have said I think Leon should renegotiate his salary.

Kyle Cook was never a "Stalwart".  He was a servicable center on a decent line. Never did his coaches call him one of the best in the league at his position, nor did the players look to him for leadership.  I would agree that we need to transition Peko to a rotational role, which I have said several times at this point, but no way in hell do I think we should cut him.

Agree with you on all of this. We aren't getting a better free agent DT than Peko for $3M a year. People seem to be down on him because of some PFF stat. The guy is a nose tackle. It's not a sexy job that is easy to grade. Much of his responsibility is to keep blockers off of the LBers so that other guys can make plays. That's not going to earn him a lot of fans or high grades from outsiders who don't know what his job is on a given play. I will trust Zimmer and the coaching staff on this one. 

Also agree that Leon should be asked to re-structure or cut. It just isn't good business to pay guys above the market rate "just because" and Leon simply isn't worth an $8M salary and $10M cap number in 2015. Now is the time to try to work out a team friendly extension with Hall. Convert his $8M salary into a signing bonus and give him cheap salaries for 2015-2017. If you are so scared to cut him, at least use the ridiculous 2015 salary as leverage for more affordable future years...

For the record, I think PFF is the biggest joke going. 

As for Peko, I'm NOT seeing him keep blockers off LB's etc.  I''m just not.  And as for the Zimmer argument, well, I may be wrong, but I don't recall him being a coach on our team last year.

As for my argument about all of the players, here's what just happened in Arizona (an up and coming franchise) with Darnell Dockett. 

Dockett could indeed return to Cardinals
Posted by Mike Florio on February 27, 2015, 4:43 PM EST
dockett1.jpg?w=414AP

The Cardinals released defensive tackle Darnell Dockett on Friday.  That doesn’t mean he won’t be back in Arizona.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the impasse arose because the team and the player couldn’t agree on fair market value for a defensive tackle recovering from a torn ACL.  He was due to make $6.8 million in 2015; the Cardinals thought that was too much, and Dockett thought their best offer wasn’t enough.

So how much is enough?  Dockett will find out on the open market.  And if someone else offers him more than the Cardinals were willing to pay, Dockett can join that team.  If someone else doesn’t, he can take whatever the Cardinals were willing to pay.

Arizona’s offer won’t decrease now that he’s been cut.  Because Dockett was in the final year of his deal, the team assumed no additional cap acceleration by releasing him.

While Dockett is getting a chance to test the market before free agency starts, he may not want to make any final decisions until the process gets rolling.  Ndamukong Suh and other defensive linemen could take whatever market currently exists and spike it even higher.  Likewise, teams that miss out on Suh and other defensive tackles may be willing to pay Dockett more later than they’re willing to pay him now.

It's nothing new to question whether a guy, post injury, is what you paid him pre-injury.  Situations change, players regress.  We've been a team that's carried dead weight around here for far too long, and I think many of us, especially after seeing the same type of listless performance resulting in bitter defeat with much of that dead weight, have finally reached a point where we want our team to kick up the impatience a notch.  New England is lauded for doing exactly what we ask.  And when a player's trajectory is clearly headed in only one direction (down), I advocate getting ahead of the game.

To play devil's advocate, the Patriots overhauled 3/4 of their starting secondary this season and it worked out well. it think both sides of the argument have some elements of truth. Its risky to dramatically overhaul one side of the ball in the off-season. Having said that, IF you replaced those guys with good players, I don't think anyone would be missing their productivity or leadership.

I think this post states the real difference between the Bengals and perennial contenders like the Pats. The Bengals loyalty is to their players, but the Pats loyalty is to their overall system of producing good players.

I would keep Hall as a backup, only if we cut ties with Newman. Peko isn't irreplaceable, regardless of his locker room presence. A quality drafted rookie, or vet signing could still have just as much locker room presence as Peko, straight off the bat, and also be an on-the-field upgrade.

Because he doesn't. Not sure if I'm in the camp of cutting him. But he played below average for a while now. Def shouldn't be a starter.

You obviously don't know what his assignment is. It's clearly to stay in front of the guard and play patty cake for at least 4 seconds sometimes longer depending if it's a play action play. He solid at that. I'd wouldn't mind him back for a reduced salary though.

Well. that and the ability to cheat constantly and get away with it even when they get caught.  That helps.

TeamsLikeThePatriots, amen.

A few deflated footballs isn't why the Patriots have played in 6 Super Bowls in 14 years,  won 4 and have double digit win totals for 12 straight years.

A few deflated footballs isn't why the Patriots have played in 6 Super Bowls in 14 years,  won 4 and have double digit win totals for 12 straight years.

Are we assuming now that they have been caught every time they have cheated? Or do we start to see a trend that is likely cultural and thus can assume that this sort of thing happens routinely? There have been alligations and stories for years about hinky things going on at Gillette stadium. I see no reason to not give these things at least some credibility in light of what has happened.

They also are a well run organization that plays in a weak division who happened to luck into arguably the best QB to have ever played the game. I think all of it comes into play. But at this point I think it's just as wrong to say it's all about them just being better run than everyone else as it is to say it's all because of cheating.

You really think that & the videotaping were isolated incidents? I know you're not that naive.

Brady has 4 Super Bowls.  99% of the sports media worship at the alter of Bill Bellichek.  Whining about it doesn't change the fact that our team hasn't been in their class at any point or in any year during Marvin's tenure except for maybe 2009 when we both were 1 and done in the playoffs.  The Patriots have more playoff wins, as many AFC Championships and more Super Bowl wins in the last 4 years as we do in 47.   

The Patriots or rather Bellichek is a master at in game and half time adjustments.  Brady is a first ballot hall of fame QB.  The have one of the best front offices in the league.  The formula is not that difficult to figure out but difficult to duplicate.

If we cut enough so-so players (Peko...), we would have enough for Shu or Hardy. I would perfer Shu. Why not us? (Because we are a small-market team, and small-market teams usually don't get the best of the best.) Shu and/or Hardy are looking for a big payday. We "REALLY" could do it. (Yes, I know what you're thinking. It's not my money. It's easy for me to spend Mike's money.) If we were to do this, it would certainly be entertaining over the next few years to watch the Pittsburgh Steelers complain to the refs how mean and dirty the Bengals' defense is playing. It's not fair the mean Bengals are hurting Ben Rothlisberger. The refs must do something to stop this bullying onslaught of the Bengals defense. (I hope I conjugated my verbs correctly and did not have any dangling participles. I know how touchy some people are on this forum about the English grammar! Hee, Hee)

If we cut enough so-so players (Peko...), we would have enough for Shu or Hardy. I would perfer Shu. Why not us? (Because we are a small-market team, and small-market teams usually don't get the best of the best.) Shu and/or Hardy are looking for a big payday. We "REALLY" could do it. (Yes, I know what you're thinking. It's not my money. It's easy for me to spend Mike's money.) If we were to do this, it would certainly be entertaining over the next few years to watch the Pittsburgh Steelers complain to the refs how mean and dirty the Bengals' defense is playing. It's not fair the mean Bengals are hurting Ben Rothlisberger. The refs must do something to stop this bullying onslaught of the Bengals defense. (I hope I conjugated my verbs correctly and did not have any dangling participles. I know how touchy some people are on this forum about the English grammar! Hee, Hee)

We don't need to cut Peko to sign any FA you want to mention. All your DL can't be megastars with monster contracts. Most of your players are going to be situational or depth guys. or just plain average making average dough. At 3MM Peko is making average dough, and at this point is more of a role player and rotational guy than a starter. He is being paid proportionately to his value.

Doesn't matter if they are leaders.They all suck at their job.Kick em to the curb.

Wait.. So the plan is to cut all 3 of the biggest leaders on the defensive side of the ball at the same time.. And replace them with free-agents? Whom we have no idea how well they will actually mesh with our scheme and in the locker room, let alone what kind of leadership they will bring if any..

Right in the middle of our championship window?

Yeah, that doesn't sound like a very good idea to me.

Agree with you on all of this. We aren't getting a better free agent DT than Peko for $3M a year. People seem to be down on him because of some PFF stat. The guy is a nose tackle. It's not a sexy job that is easy to grade. Much of his responsibility is to keep blockers off of the LBers so that other guys can make plays. That's not going to earn him a lot of fans or high grades from outsiders who don't know what his job is on a given play. I will trust Zimmer and the coaching staff on this one. 

Also agree that Leon should be asked to re-structure or cut. It just isn't good business to pay guys above the market rate "just because" and Leon simply isn't worth an $8M salary and $10M cap number in 2015. Now is the time to try to work out a team friendly extension with Hall. Convert his $8M salary into a signing bonus and give him cheap salaries for 2015-2017. If you are so scared to cut him, at least use the ridiculous 2015 salary as leverage for more affordable future years...

Peko is literally almost completely ineffective though. We know his job. We know he's supposed to eat up blocks and keep linemen off of LBs.

But he FUCKING DOESNT DO THAT.

We don't need to cut Peko to sign any FA you want to mention. All your DL can't be megastars with monster contracts. Most of your players are going to be situational or depth guys. or just plain average making average dough. At 3MM Peko is making average dough, and at this point is more of a role player and rotational guy than a starter. He is being paid proportionately to his value.

Same could have been said for Geathers. He was better at his job than Peko which isn't saying shit but c'mon. Peko sucks ass. You probably think Dalton deserves his spot too

Same could have been said for Geathers. He was better at his job than Peko which isn't saying shit but c'mon. Peko sucks ass. You probably think Dalton deserves his spot too

Geathers was no where near as effective as Peko.. Which is why one is still on the team and the other one isn't.

Peko is literally almost completely ineffective though. We know his job. We know he's supposed to eat up blocks and keep linemen off of LBs.

But he FUCKING DOESNT DO THAT.

I'm sure you've broken down all the film and are 100% sure of your assessment...

He was top 15 in the AFC in tackles amongst all D Linemen. He helped allow a mediocre guy like Vinny Rey to finish 6th in the league in tackles (after helping Vontaze to first the year before). 

I wish people would at least attempt to back up their opinion with some small amount of facts instead of just screaming that a guy sucks because THEY SAY SO. 

We know he sucks because we have direct TV which allows us to watch every Bengals game. And most of us besides you Bengal apologist can see he is being pushed back 5 yards down the line or he just stands in front of an olineman rather then penetrating and sacking the quarterback. If every Bengal player was worth their salary like some of you say and they are never WOrth cutting then why haven't we won a damn playoff game with the great players we have on the roster. Obviously they aren't good enough and we must improve the roster which means releasing some bengals who have great personalities but aren't good at their job.

I'm sure you've broken down all the film and are 100% sure of your assessment...

He was top 15 in the AFC in tackles amongst all D Linemen. He helped allow a mediocre guy like Vinny Rey to finish 6th in the league in tackles (after helping Vontaze to first the year before). 

I wish people would at least attempt to back up their opinion with some small amount of facts instead of just screaming that a guy sucks because THEY SAY SO. 

BUT, BUT, BUT they believe it. so it's gotta be true!   They've got DIRECT TV, DAMMIT!! :lmao:

Cheating is now acceptable...in the classic 21st Century model. Just win and it's OK. Lose and it is abominable. But then again, the NFL is a farce league anyway.

What a train ride.

100% this. Like I don't know the Boston Patriots are successful cheats? Hey I'm great at poker when I use marked cards, other card players should be more like me. LOLWUT?

Archived