Who are we going to release?

We have enough money that we wont be cutting anyone or asking them to restructure, cuts will be made after the draft, but I doubt unless someone is injured that we make cuts right now.

I would argue that they should restructure a few people- like Leon, as long as that savings goes towards more impactful FAs... that extra $3-5 million makes a huge difference on the type of very good defender (or two decently good quality defenders) they could possibly get.

Whether or not they actually shop for impact in FA is the big question though.

No, he didn't lead the league in return yards last season. He wasn't 2nd either.

Jacoby Jones was also ahead of him for total return yards. Something just happened to him the other day...I can't remember what it was though..

Furthermore, Devin Hester (who actually led the league in return yards this season) also finished #1 in 2013. The Bears informed him that they had no intentions of re-signing him.

In 2012, Josh Cribbs finished 1st in PR yards and 3rd in KR yards (totaling more than Pacman had last season). He was released the following March.

Darius Reynaud led all returners in yards in 2012. he was released a few games into 2013.

He led the league in BOTH kickoff return and punt return average. He did not lead in yards since he actually has a job on the field unlike those 1 trick ponies you mentioned.

He led the league in BOTH kickoff return and punt return average. He did not lead in yards since he actually has a job on the field unlike those 1 trick ponies you mentioned.

Thank you.

Adam Jones saved our asses in multiple games with huge returns that changed the course of the game and lead us to being a playoff team.

I will be pissed if he is cut.

me too

A one-trick pony is basically what people are calling for him to be this upcoming season.

How do you figure?  Who is going to replace him on the field?   The only position I see changing is Newman's and we have the replacement in house. Unless they find a free agent I don't see it happening because we all know rookies NEVER EVER start in our secondary unless its due to injury.

How do you figure?  Who is going to replace him on the field?   The only position I see changing is Newman's and we have the replacement in house. Unless they find a free agent I don't see it happening because we all know rookies NEVER EVER start in our secondary unless its due to injury.

It might have been the thread about Guenther's comments, but I recall people talking about Kirkpatrick and Dennard playing the outside, with Hall in the slot, and Pacman concentrating more on KR/PR. From what I know about Pacman, if that's how it shakes out, I don't think he'll be happy about riding the pine. If he is realistically the 4th corner, do the Bengals still want him around? Probably, but I still don't think its out of the realm to think otherwise.

For the record, I didn't say it was going to happen. I think Geathers is definitely gone and for shits and giggles, I put down one "out of the blue" cut. Somebody posted that it would never happen because no one in the NFL cuts players who are that good in the return game. I kindly pointed out that his argument was BS and made-up.

we all know rookies NEVER EVER start in our secondary unless its due to injury.

Do you realize that you are talking to MADIEU Superstar?

But I agree with you that Jones is not a "one-trick-pony", and he is in do danger of getting released.

It's crazy talk to talk about cutting anyone on this roster at the moment. They don't need the money.

Leon doesn't get 9 million this year. He doesn't deserve it. Has not going to perform up to that level. And even if he somehow fucking miraculously did, I don't care. He doesn't hold the cards here. Why give him money he doesn't deserve? This isn't like the Lakers and the Kobe world tour the next 2 years. We don't need to just sit and accept this contract. Nobody will give a holy fuck if Leon gets released. He hasn't won shit for this organization. He doesn't have a handful of rings. Whatever history has a part of with his great attitude and great community spirit, it means SHIT. We might as well have been the Browns the past 20 years. Seriously.

The teams that he has been a part of here will be as relevant in history each year as the fucking Jaguars were. Didn't accomplish dick. There is no reason to keep him. We can find somebody more capable for 9 million or under a season. Spare me. Its that goddamn simple.

Geathers, Peko, and Hall should be cut...but none of them will because MB and Marvin like them. They are good guys off the field and all that jazz so why not over pay them to be on the team, forget the fact that they are not that good at their jobs, people in the organization like them. 

If this team where serious about winning and stop playing politics they would cut all three of those guys and get younger, more productive players in FA, which isn't that hard. It's still early in the off season so there is still time but I don't expect them to trim the fat, just stick with the status quo and hope they get lucky. 

Geathers, Peko, and Hall should be cut...but none of them will because MB and Marvin like them. They are good guys off the field and all that jazz so why not over pay them to be on the team, forget the fact that they are not that good at their jobs, people in the organization like them. 

If this team where serious about winning and playing politics they would cut all three of those guys and get younger, more productive players in FA, which isn't that hard. It's still early in the off season so there is still time but I don't expect them to trim the fat, just stick with the status quo and hope they get lucky. 

I agree. And I'd be willing to restructure Hall but 9-10 M is just too much for anyone but a top 20 guy in the league.

If this team where serious about winning and playing politics they would cut all three of those guys and get younger, more productive players in FA, which isn't that hard. It's still early in the off season so there is still time but I don't expect them to trim the fat, just stick with the status quo and hope they get lucky. 

All three will be cut.   After that we sign two starters on the defensive side of the ball.  I think Hardy is a Bengal next season.

I really think we are going to make a splash this year in FA.

If this team where serious about winning and stop playing politics they would cut all three of those guys and get younger, more productive players in FA, which isn't that hard. It's still early in the off season so there is still time but I don't expect them to trim the fat, just stick with the status quo and hope they get lucky. 

So much this and I hope to God they pull the trigger.  They have to see that the window of opportunity is starting to close.  Time to be proactive not reactive and open that son of a bitch back to being wide open.

Wait.. So the plan is to cut all 3 of the biggest leaders on the defensive side of the ball at the same time.. And replace them with free-agents? Whom we have no idea how well they will actually mesh with our scheme and in the locker room, let alone what kind of leadership they will bring if any..

Right in the middle of our championship window?

Yeah, that doesn't sound like a very good idea to me.

Wait.. So the plan is to cut all 3 of the biggest leaders on the defensive side of the ball at the same time.. And replace them with free-agents? Whom we have no idea how well they will actually mesh with our scheme and in the locker room, let alone what kind of leadership they will bring if any..

Right in the middle of our championship window?

Yeah, that doesn't sound like a very good idea to me.

I don't know if I would go that far with it. Yes, they are considered "leaders", but how has this team's leadership aided in getting them over the dreaded playoff hump? You could make the argument that Robert Geathers is the #1 leader on the defense, but I don't think even you would argue that he should return. Perhaps it could be a good thing to infuse new voices into the locker room...

For the record, I want Hall to stay, I'd like to see him another year removed from serious injury. If he's willing to re-structure, all the better.

I don't know if I would go that far with it. Yes, they are considered "leaders", but how has this team's leadership aided in getting them over the dreaded playoff hump? You could make the argument that Robert Geathers is the #1 leader on the defense, but I don't think even you would argue that he should return. Perhaps it could be a good thing to infuse new voices into the locker room...

For the record, I want Hall to stay, I'd like to see him another year removed from serious injury. If he's willing to re-structure, all the better.

I am all for moving on past Geathers, as I think most would agree. FTR, from what I hear Peko is the main guy on that side of the ball with Jumpy Jr right behind. Hall is the heart of that secondary even if he isn't in his prime anymore.

I say cut Geathers, restructure Hall, and continiue pushing Peko into more of a roatational role as he still is one hell of a load to move and is still a very effective 0/1 tech even if he doesn't keep the legs as fresh as he once used to. I am still of the opinion that the regression of Geno the loss of Johnson and general attrition had a lot to do with Peko's seemingly down year as he received more attention by the defense and wasn't able to rotate out as much as he should have been.

I am all for moving on past Geathers, as I think most would agree. FTR, from what I hear Peko is the main guy on that side of the ball with Jumpy Jr right behind. Hall is the heart of that secondary even if he isn't in his prime anymore.

I say cut Geathers, restructure Hall, and continiue pushing Peko into more of a roatational role as he still is one hell of a load to move and is still a very effective 0/1 tech even if he doesn't keep the legs as fresh as he once used to. I am still of the opinion that the regression of Geno the loss of Johnson and general attrition had a lot to do with Peko's seemingly down year as he received more attention by the defense and wasn't able to rotate out as much as he should have been.

I will ask one simple question, is this how the Patriots operate? No, you don't keep, overpay and start below average players because of their leadership.

I will ask one simple question, is this how the Patriots operate? No, you don't keep, overpay and start below average players because of their leadership.

When was the last time The Patriots cut all of their top leaders on one side of the ball at the same time and replaced them with free agents? And quit putting words in my mouth, especially when I stated the opposite already. Peko and Hall can still play. Hall should be restructured and Peko should be moving towards more of rotational role, but there is no reason to cut all 3 of these guys this season when you have no one to step in to fill the void..

I guess you see it differently, but i think filling the void of the 3 top leaders on one side of the ball on your team in 1 year with mercenaries is a bad move..

When was the last time The Patriots cut all of their top leaders on one side of the ball at the same time and replaced them with free agents? Peko and Hall can still play. Hall should be restructured, but there is no reason to cut all 3 of these guys this season when you have no one to step in to fill the void..

I guess you see it differently, but i think filling the void of the 3 top leaders on one side of the ball on your team in 1 year with mercenaries is a bad move..

Yea.Add one big key guy.ie Suh, Fairley,pot roast . like green bay did with Reggie White.Make a super huge offer to Ngata.He's not a free agent I know, but I thought I heard a silly rumor he could be a cap casualty. Maybe propose a trade for him.

Yea.Add one big key guy.ie Suh, Fairley,pot roast . like green bay did with Reggie White.Make a super huge offer to Ngata.

How about cut Geathers and you can still add that player you are talking about.. You guys act like they need to cut these guys for cap room or something.. Geathers is done, he needs to go.  Hall had a down year after Achilles surgery, and maybe he is done, and the coaches will get a handle on that when mini-camps start up, but if he is even close to form you try to keep him because I think he can still play.  Peko is still a good 0/1 tech.. Maybe his legs aren't as fresh as they once were and he may need more bench time (something he was sorely lacking last season) but if Geno returns to form and we can replace Geathers with an actual NFL caliber end I think you will see the DL production back to where it needs to be.

When was the last time The Patriots cut all of their top leaders on one side of the ball at the same time and replaced them with free agents? And quit putting words in my mouth, especially when I stated the opposite already. Peko and Hall can still play. Hall should be restructured and Peko should be moving towards more of rotational role, but there is no reason to cut all 3 of these guys this season when you have no one to step in to fill the void..

Peko can't play. He was a frikking statue the last 4 games of the season. Pretending Peko is an NFL caliber starter is laughable.

Dre should have replaced Hall early in the season. Dre isn't perfect but he makes shit happen. Hall had 1 int...Dre had 3 in way less plays. Hall is boring. Newman is better.

BTW, the leaders of New England are and always will be the coaches.

Well written, but it will go right over the "Fire em all" crowds heads.

Peko can't play. He was a frikking statue the last 4 games of the season. Pretending Peko is an NFL caliber starter is laughable.

Dre should have replaced Hall early in the season. Dre isn't perfect but he makes shit happen. Hall had 1 int...Dre had 3 in way less plays. Hall is boring. Newman is better.

BTW, the leaders of New England are and always will be the coaches.

You still didn't answer my question.. Moving the goal posts is not acceptable. Pretending the patriots don't have locker room and on field leaders is retarded.

Archived