* RD 4 Bengals select Andrew Billings DT, Baylor

I still can't believe we got Billings in round 4.   Man I would have been excited if we drafted him in round 1.   Can't wait to see him on the field.    Much like Atkins when he was drafted he looked like a draft day steal from the get go.   

I still can't believe we got Billings in round 4.   Man I would have been excited if we drafted him in round 1.   Can't wait to see him on the field.    Much like Atkins when he was drafted he looked like a draft day steal from the get go.   

The scary thing is Deshawn Williams looked legit too and he fell way far in the draft. He's bulked up quite a bit staying in Cincinnati through the offseason. I have a feeling he will surprise people. They could go from being insanely thin at DT to stacked, instantly.

Billings is the 1-tech of the future. Williams is a 3 tech backup to Geno. I suspect both will make the team.  

We have 3 1-tech's vying for two spots. Peko and Sims are gunning for it. I say Peko makes it despite his heavy salary. Injury history alone is enough to give it to him. 

Next year or soon after I bet we draft another 1-tech to backup Billings which will hopefully give us one of the most effective DT "waves" in the league.

The future is now.

Billings is the 1-tech of the future. Williams is a 3 tech backup to Geno. I suspect both will make the team.  

We have 3 1-tech's vying for two spots. Peko and Sims are gunning for it. I say Peko makes it despite his heavy salary. Injury history alone is enough to give it to him. 

Next year or soon after I bet we draft another 1-tech to backup Billings which will hopefully give us one of the most effective DT "waves" in the league.

The future is now.

They can get by with keeping Peko and Sims. They can go deep at DT if they want. Especially if Fisher or Westerman proves to be a serviceable backup center. Then they can keep 1 less on OL and not waste a roster spot on TJ Johnson.

The future is now.

I'd think Hardison is Geno's backup, ahead of Williams. He can maybe backup at LDE too. I think we might end up with something like Dunlap-Peko-Atkins-Johnson starting with Hardison-Billings-Williams-Clarke as the backups. That would leave Thompson to PUP and Hunt and Sims cut. If we keep 9,then Sims makes it. 

I'd think Hardison is Geno's backup, ahead of Williams. He can maybe backup at LDE too. I think we might end up with something like Dunlap-Peko-Atkins-Johnson starting with Hardison-Billings-Williams-Clarke as the backups. That would leave Thompson to PUP and Hunt and Sims cut. If we keep 9,then Sims makes it. 

from the sounds of it, Hardison is essentially the new Gilberry.  I count him as a DE at this point.

We'll see. I'm very curious to see what kind of physical work, if any, Hardison has done since we last saw him. He simply didn't have the sand in his pants to play DT, though there was talk of getting him there. Without any physical work, though, imo, he was the perfect swing guy ala Wallace Gilberry. The fact that they let him walk so easily suggests to me that he is going to naturally fill that role.

I've also heard rumors that they had Clarke lose 20 lbs after gaining the same amount. I don't know if he's going to amount to much, but that couldn't be better news, because it suggests they're trending toward wanting more speed on the edge than power - at least in one of their guys. Hunt is going the other direction, so that it is also interesting.

IMO, this all adds up to wanting Clarke to provide snaps behind MJ, and Hunt behind Carlos. Hardison is your swing DT/DE. 

The other guys are all true DTs. 

D Line could be best roster battle of spring. Hobson just said we'll probably keep 9 (which is how many they've kept most years). With Atkins, Dunlap, Billings, Peko and MJ basically locks to make it, that leaves 4 spots and 5 possibilities: Hardison, D. Williams, Sims, Hunt and Clarke. 

Though I guess the odds of all 10 DL making it through training camp and preseason healthy aren't great anyway, so it probably sorts itself out without any tough cuts. 

D Line could be best roster battle of spring. Hobson just said we'll probably keep 9 (which is how many they've kept most years). With Atkins, Dunlap, Billings, Peko and MJ basically locks to make it, that leaves 4 spots and 5 possibilities: Hardison, D. Williams, Sims, Hunt and Clarke. 

Though I guess the odds of all 10 DL making it through training camp and preseason healthy aren't great anyway, so it probably sorts itself out without any tough cuts. 

I wouldn't say Peko is a lock to make the team, if he was cut the team would save over $3mm without any affect on the salary cap. If Peko gets out performed by a young guy like Williams and I could see them moving on from the vet. 

I wouldn't say Peko is a lock to make the team, if he was cut the team would save over $3mm without any affect on the salary cap. If Peko gets out performed by a young guy like Williams and I could see them moving on from the vet. 

He's a lock. Listen to the coaches talk about him.

Archived