Zampese Out

The situation was untenable even by Mike Brown standards.  Something had to give and easy fix is to can Zampese.  What a total miss at the OC job.  I remember years ago when he was QB coach that there was worry when he would interview for OC positions elsewhere.  Ironic.

I know a lot of teams hire from within, but do we do it at a higher rate compared to the rest of the NFL for our upper tier coaching positions?

I feel like this is the laziest hire possible from the Bengals (if he's the permanent replacement) ever since....Zampese.

Good move.  I hope Lazor gets the job done.  It may seem lazy, but bringing in an outside OC at this point in the season could be a big mess.  At least this guy knows the basics of the offense that has been implemented.  He can modify instead of trying a full overhaul in the middle of the year.  I hope he is "interim" OC.  He needs to earn the full time gig.

39 minutes ago, BengalsNYC said:

The situation was untenable even by Mike Brown standards.  Something had to give and easy fix is to can Zampese.  What a total miss at the OC job.  I remember years ago when he was QB coach that there was worry when he would interview for OC positions elsewhere.  Ironic.

I remember when some fans wanted him to take Marvin's job... Ironically, it's mostly the same folks who think the grass will be greener with McCarron.

29 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

I know a lot of teams hire from within, but do we do it at a higher rate compared to the rest of the NFL for our upper tier coaching positions?

I feel like this is the laziest hire possible from the Bengals (if he's the permanent replacement) ever since....Zampese.

He hasn't been around that long.  A little over a year total with the Bengals and he knows the system which is important since we are playing game 3 of the season in 9 days.  My guess is the players had input about both firing Zampese and hiring Lazor.

6 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

I remember when some fans wanted him to take Marvin's job... Ironically, it's mostly the same folks who think the grass will be greener with McCarron.

Oh, its the same folk? You can provide sources and quotes that prove the same people who wanted that want McCarron?

I don't see the issue with bringing in an outside guy mid-season. NFL teams all generally run all of the same plays, they just use different lingo and signals which change from game to game anyway. I'd assume all of these guys playing football and coaching football for millions of dollars would be able to handle an OC change with 14 games to play without a full offseason.

I'm just glad to see the team make a big change in the middle of the season, but I hope Lazor doesn't automatically get the job permanently right away and would hope this is temporary "earn it" kind of thing like someone mentioned above. I'm not trying to complain about this as much as I'm wondering if they're going to be looking outside the org or if Lazor is permanent right off the bat. I think it's fine if he's the interim OC but I think it's super lazy otherwise.

39 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

You kind of have to hire within during mid season....you expect the the offense to learn a completely new playbook in 9 days?

Archived