Playoffs vs Titans..game thread.

The Titans had 2 problems that led to their demise:

1) Ryan Tannehill. 'Nuff said

2) Coaching. Vrabel, for all his pregame accolades, got completely out coached. He got totally burned by going for 2 so early in the game. It's too early to start chasing points. At that point you don't know whether the second point will be impactful. As it turned out, it wouldn't have made a bit of difference. The Titans lead would have been either 17-16 or 18-16. But if he's going to go for it, why not do another wildcat with Henry? The Bengals had no answer.

He also trusted Tannehill far more than he should have. The thinking should have been to use him as a game manager: Don't turn the ball over and we win, kinda like Alex Smith or Trent Dilfer

He later ran two running plays to the right side which is the weakest part of his O line to no avail as he turned the ball over on downs to the Bengals

One more thing that I haven't heard talked about too much...the officiating, unlike our previous game, was typical for a playoff game. Very few flags. The officials let more holding and PI go than they do in the regular season but they should have thrown a flag on the worst hit Joe Burrow took all day. The officials blew a play dead before the snap and someone came in low and crumpled Burrow. That should have been a flag on two fronts. It was after the whistle and it was low. I was thrilled to see Joe walk that one off

One final point...Zac has got to call more short passes when his O line is sucking. Guys were going out on too long of patterns. Where were the screens and crossing patterns? I'm talking 3 step drop and the ball's out kind of calls. They need to work on that before their next game. Understand your O line sucks and gameplan for it

22 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

2) Coaching. Vrabel, for all his pregame accolades, got completely out coached. He got totally burned by going for 2 so early in the game. It's too early to start chasing points. At that point you don't know whether the second point will be impactful. As it turned out, it wouldn't have made a bit of difference. The Titans lead would have been either 17-16 or 18-16. But if he's going to go for it, why not do another wildcat with Henry? The Bengals had no answer.

He also trusted Tannehill far more than he should have. The thinking should have been to use him as a game manager: Don't turn the ball over and we win, kinda like Alex Smith or Trent Dilfer

He later ran two running plays to the right side which is the weakest part of his O line to no avail as he turned the ball over on downs to the Bengals

One more thing that I haven't heard talked about too much...the officiating, unlike our previous game, was typical for a playoff game. Very few flags. The officials let more holding and PI go than they do in the regular season but they should have thrown a flag on the worst hit Joe Burrow took all day. The officials blew a play dead before the snap and someone came in low and crumpled Burrow. That should have been a flag on two fronts. It was after the whistle and it was low. I was thrilled to see Joe walk that one off

One final point...Zac has got to call more short passes when his O line is sucking. Guys were going out on too long of patterns. Where were the screens and crossing patterns? I'm talking 3 step drop and the ball's out kind of calls. They need to work on that before their next game. Understand your O line sucks and gameplan for it

The titans lead would've been 7-6 if they kicked the extra point or 8-6 if they made the conversion. Decisions are made through out the game based on the score, so who knows what would've happened after that. If the rest of the scoring remained the same, then Tannehill doesn't have to throw. Just run out the clock with a 1 or 2 point lead. But I agree that you should never need to go for 2 that early in the game. That 1 point could've ended up being the difference.

5 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

I suppose you and the youngster will also travel to KC or BUF? 

KC, yes. BUffalo, weather dependent, im not sure my old ass is down for sitting in "feels like -23" or something like that. so we shall see. Also i leave nashville monday, have a work trip to vegas T-F, then would have to fly out sat-mon traveling 10-11 straight days will be brutal.

4 hours ago, Hooky said:

I was going to say the same thing and add that it was also fitting that a Logan Wilson pick set that up, which was a frequent occurrence in the rise of the defense.

looks like the method of drafting solid talent but team captain/leaders from college is paying off nicely.

3 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Said pick was from an Eli Apple tip.  Team baby.

great make up play from eli, JJ smoked him  a few times, luckily tannehill is only talented enough to complete to him 3-4 times on those. our DB's got hung out to dry by the pass rush(lack of).

2 hours ago, Sea Ray said:

1. agreed.

2. kinda, the extra point hurt, but Henry was getting his at that time, 1 yard, id have done the same, and frankly if it wasnt for a guy who was on the team for 5 minutes before the game making an INCREDIBLE PLAY. it would have worked. and lets be honest, he didnt trust Tannehill AT ALL, but you have to throw, and he had all day... "he cant throw THREE picks can he?"

mostly agree with the rest there tho.

18 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

KC, yes. BUffalo, weather dependent, im not sure my old ass is down for sitting in "feels like -23" or something like that. so we shall see. Also i leave nashville monday, have a work trip to vegas T-F, then would have to fly out sat-mon traveling 10-11 straight days will be brutal.

FWIW: looks to be cloudy and 22 for a high in BUF next Sunday. Snow is always a chance, and God knows what 22 degrees will be wind-chill-feels like wise. 

KC Partly sunny and 44. 

And home game Bills fans are mercurial. Been in their building twice—at alternate times they were either worse-than-Philadelphia-could-hope-to-be…or perfectly angelic. 

7 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

FWIW: looks to be cloudy and 22 for a high in BUF next Sunday. Snow is always a chance, and God knows what 22 degrees will be wind-chill-feels like wise. 

KC Partly sunny and 44. 

And home game Bills fans are mercurial. Been in their building twice—at alternate times they were either worse-than-Philadelphia-could-hope-to-be…or perfectly angelic. 

cmon KC. if its buffalo im gonna have to take in a heated blanket or some shit.

Just now, GoBengals said:

cmon KC. if its buffalo im gonna have to take in a heated blanket or some shit.

Same story here, I've been to the Ralph for two Bengals games (both of which the Bengals won). One game fans were actually pretty nice. Other game...not good at all. Even got a couple threats, literally saw grown men pouring beer on children, crazy shit. Not to mention all the BillsMafia jumping off of busses through tables in Orchard Park as we were walking to the game...no thanks.

One thing I've always failed to understand is on top of the insane crowd noise those fans can create, somehow they get away with being able to blow a train horn FULL BLAST literally every 3rd down. Idk how that is allowed, it makes it so the opposing team's playcalls have no chance to get to the qb.

The only NFL game I've been to was Bills vs Bengals in 2015.  We drove down early (short drive from where I am) and did the whole tailgating thing.  The fans were mostly fine, I of course was decked out in my Bengals gear and the only direct negative reaction I got was being booed as I came out of the porta-a-potty (by a bunch of women no less).  During the game was fine, I had no problem whooping it up when the Bengals did well, but by the fourth quarter the mood was getting... dark... so I stopped doing that lol.

The worst memory was actually how insanely cold it was for October and that it actually snowed.  Most fans were not dressed for that kind of weather.  The worst memory for Bills fans though was surely how horrendous EJ Manuel was, man that guy couldn't throw NFL passes.

Archived