Random 2023 Bengals related stuff

On 11/17/2023 at 11:43 AM, Cricket said:

…and what about the referees that “make things up”?  We saw a couple examples of that last night.  🤨

It's amusing to see the "journalists" complaining about this. Pulitzer prizes have been awarded for fictional work, from Duranty to Jimmy's World, to Russiagate.

On 11/18/2023 at 10:45 AM, Le Tigre said:

That was just the answer in a Liverpool match against Barcelona some years back. They were down 0-4 and DID score 5 goals. 

Are you thinking of the Champion's League final in Istanbul? Liverpool were down to famed defensive club AC Milan 3-0 at the half and came back to win. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Are you thinking of the Champion's League final in Istanbul? Liverpool were down to famed defensive club AC Milan 3-0 at the half and came back to win. 

That one was grand and glorious….but I was mentioning the 2019 CL semi-final match against Barcelona. Liverpool had lost the first leg 3-0. They needed to overcome that deficit in the second leg—a massive deficit—in order to advance. They won 4-0 at Anfield to win the semi 4-3. To this day, I have never seen that extent of a comeback in any sport. To shut out a Messi-led euro juggernaut like Barca was insane. Liverpool went on to win its 6th CL Cup that year. 

• Upvote 1

Kind of a reach as to comparisons. 

As I have said many times: I was at that game. The context of the brouhaha was indeed partially the snowball-throwing idiots. But a bigger picture was that a week or two before, there was an incident in the old Cleveland stadium where a HOU receiver had gone out of bounds and run into a cameraman. The guy was knocked cold and while laying there, he was pelted with quite a number of snowballs. As I remember, the league gave the Browns a warning about fan behavior. 

There had been snowballs being tossed everywhere from the time the game began at Riverfront. After a LOT of bad calls went against the Bengals, the throwing intensified-and now was being aimed at SEA players and officials. 

Sam had been yelling at the refs for a while. I remember one came over to him and said something after SEA players were pointing towards the south endzone where snowballs were coming from. Sam went along the sideline..then along the end line—looking into the stands the whole time. The PA announcer was in the other side of the field (as he was always on the field in those days). Sam grabs the mic, and the famous tirade began. 

A week or so later, I had read that Sam was concerned the refs might penalize the team for the snowballs (I can’t recall if the Browns were penalized after their incident)…thus the intervention. I know the next time the Bengals played in Cleveland, he made a big deal about humourously sucking up to the CLE fans about the remarks

Edit: the incident with the cameraman was in December 1988, not in 1989. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

Kind of a reach as to comparisons. 

As I have said many times: I was at that game. The context of the brouhaha was indeed partially the snowball-throwing idiots. But a bigger picture was that a week or two before, there was an incident in the old Cleveland stadium where a HOU receiver had gone out of bounds and run into a cameraman. The guy was knocked cold and while laying there, he was pelted with quite a number of snowballs. As I remember, the league gave the Browns a warning about fan behavior. 

There had been snowballs being tossed everywhere from the time the game began at Riverfront. After a LOT of bad calls went against the Bengals, the throwing intensified-and now was being aimed at SEA players and officials. 

Sam had been yelling at the refs for a while. I remember one came over to him and said something after SEA players were pointing towards the south endzone where snowballs were coming from. Sam went along the sideline..then along the end line—looking into the stands the whole time. The PA announcer was in the other side of the field (as he was always on the field in those days). Sam grabs the mic, and the famous tirade began. 

A week or so later, I had read that Sam was concerned the refs might penalize the team for the snowballs (I can’t recall if the Browns were penalized after their incident)…thus the intervention. I know the next time the Bengals played in Cleveland, he made a big deal about humourously sucking up to the CLE fans about the remarks

If I recall correctly, the objects thrown by Cleveland fans included batteries…

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Edit: the incident with the cameraman was in December 1988, not in 1989. 

He later went back to Cleveland and let people dunk him in a dunking booth for a homeless charity. Bernie Kosar got the first shots in. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/22/2023 at 8:15 PM, Le Tigre said:

That one was grand and glorious….but I was mentioning the 2019 CL semi-final match against Barcelona. Liverpool had lost the first leg 3-0. They needed to overcome that deficit in the second leg—a massive deficit—in order to advance. They won 4-0 at Anfield to win the semi 4-3. To this day, I have never seen that extent of a comeback in any sport. To shut out a Messi-led euro juggernaut like Barca was insane. Liverpool went on to win its 6th CL Cup that year. 

You are as avid a soccer fan as your love for the Bengals.

Do you have a specific team your a fan of?

Manchestet City seems to be the elite team for yrs now in Premier league.

6 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

You are as avid a soccer fan as your love for the Bengals.

Do you have a specific team your a fan of?

Manchestet City seems to be the elite team for yrs now in Premier league.

All in for Liverpool…and always have been. Manchester City (or Cheaty more appropriately) is a bad word. 

More into UK footy than other euro leagues. Do like Wolfsburg in the Bundesliga though. 

As I recall, you fancy Swansea. They are in the Championship League currently, sitting 17th in the table. Have had a rough go for two straight seasons, unfortunately 

• Like 1

To be honest, I'm over the ZT coaching era, our problems don't fall all on him, Brian Callahan shares some blame too as well as some others.  Our offensive ID should not be Joe Burrow go when the game.  I love JB, but he and Tom Brady have proven that is a terrible recipe for an OID.  Because our QB is so great, we will probably get 2-4 more years of this, and I will still root and cheer for this team, but my confidence in the coaching staff (outside the obvious stand outs) is shaken to say the least.)

This has nothing to do with them as people, this is strictly in regards to their coaching, and management.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jungletiger said:

To be honest, I'm over the ZT coaching era, our problems don't fall all on him,  Brian Callahan is to blame too.  Our offensive ID should not be Joe Burrow go when the game.  I love JB, but he and Tom Brady have proven that is a terrible recipe for an OID.  Because our QB is so great, we will probably get 2-4 more years of this, and I will still root and cheer for this team, but my confidence in the coaching staff (outside the obvious stand outs) is shaken to say the least.)

Nothing a solid oline wouldn't cure..

It's been painful to watch all drafted Olinemen perform at a low level.

The Blackburn women must notice this. .(you know they do).

I hope they have a chance to draft an oline STUD this year.

Pittsburgh Is back to their traditional oline front  7 philosophy..

Bengals should take heed if they want a Division title again.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, spicoli said:

So, SB and AFC championship appearances in back to back years but as soon as they lose the franchise, it’s  suddenly the fault of ZT and co. that they’re losing close games?

Too funny. 

If the company iincludes Pollsck Taylor and Callahan how could you not put some blame on them?

4 minutes ago, Jungletiger said:

To be honest, I'm over the ZT coaching era, our problems don't fall all on him, Brian Callahan shares some blame too as well as some others.  Our offensive ID should not be Joe Burrow go when the game.  I love JB, but he and Tom Brady have proven that is a terrible recipe for an OID.  Because our QB is so great, we will probably get 2-4 more years of this, and I will still root and cheer for this team, but my confidence in the coaching staff (outside the obvious stand outs) is shaken to say the least.)

This has nothing to do with them as people, this is strictly in regards to their coaching, and management.

5 minutes ago, spicoli said:

So, SB and AFC championship appearances in back to back years but as soon as they lose the franchise, it’s suddenly the fault of ZT and staff that they’re losing close games?

Too funny. 

I do not blame all on ZT but his play calling is questionable at best and he has put together a good roster no doubt he needs to continue to do so

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Nothing a solid oline wouldn't cure..

It's been painful to watch all drafted Olinemen perform at a low level.

The Blackburn women must notice this. .(you know they do).

I hope they have a chance to draft an oline STUD this year.

Pittsburgh Is back to their traditional oline front  7 philosophy..

Bengals should take heed if they want a Division title again.

Sure, but great line men that are great right out the gate are rare.  HS and College do shit jobs developing them.  And this group has shown it's not good at developing line men.

• Upvote 1