Whats the running back room look like? final cuts?

I think they are just being careful with Williams, I think he is your 3rd down back, though think Evans showed enough for me to have him platoon with Williams.

Brown didn't show enough for me to think he will get reps and not be relegated to doing what Evans did last year and only get to play sometimes.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I think they are just being careful with Williams, I think he is your 3rd down back, though think Evans showed enough for me to have him platoon with Williams.

Brown didn't show enough for me to think he will get reps and not be relegated to doing what Evans did last year and only get to play sometimes.

IMO it could change later in the year, but I agree for now that assuming he’s healthy, Williams is your #2 and Evans has shown better running (inside) and pass pro and is close to Williams. Chase Brown could be an inactive initially - he just needs more experience, especially in pass pro… but I wouldn’t be shocked if he were active and getting snaps down the stretch. 

• Upvote 1

I would not be shocked if the Bengals added a player from another team that is cut to this position group. 

While Evans has looked better than in the past at pass pro and running the ball, he's still very much unproven and this is a Super Bowl ready team..

No one outside of Mixon has done much in the NFL and there could be significant upgrades available next week. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, texbengal said:

IMO it could change later in the year, but I agree for now that assuming he’s healthy, Williams is your #2 and Evans has shown better running (inside) and pass pro and is close to Williams. Chase Brown could be an inactive initially - he just needs more experience, especially in pass pro… but I wouldn’t be shocked if he were active and getting snaps down the stretch. 

Completely agree

2 hours ago, texbengal said:

Williams may have been RB2 coming into training camp, but he has had no chance to show what he can do because of injuries. Did he have such a lock on being Mixon's backup that he didn't have to show the coaches anything? I would be shocked if that turns out to be the case.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, dex said:

Williams may have been RB2 coming into training camp, but he has had no chance to show what he can do because of injuries. Did he have such a lock on being Mixon's backup that he didn't have to show the coaches anything? I would be shocked if that turns out to be the case.

For a lot of training camp, yes… he’s been hurt. But his body of work in getting some snaps/carries/pass pro/making some catches last year, and playing STs has impressed the coaches enough that they know what they have. And he was here for all of the OTAs and early in camp. And last year,  he did knock Evans down the depth chart. 

I know every year is a new year, and Evans has played well, from what we have seen in PS games. Maybe the coaches felt that Evans needed a TKO to unseat Williams and while he’s improved, maybe he’s not done enough. Guess we will see, and even if Williams starts the season at RB2, maybe later in the year, that changes. 

… or, maybe he gets an IRR designation because I don’t think he’s back fully in the mix as yet, and he’s not playing vs. Washington. 

12 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

I would not be shocked if the Bengals added a player from another team that is cut to this position group. 

While Evans has looked better than in the past at pass pro and running the ball, he's still very much unproven and this is a Super Bowl ready team..

No one outside of Mixon has done much in the NFL and there could be significant upgrades available next week. 

Yes..that vould happen

On 8/24/2023 at 2:16 PM, texbengal said:

williams is probably the least talented runner of Brown, Evans and Williams, is he the best pass protector?

On 8/24/2023 at 3:25 PM, PatternMaster said:

hadnt considered that but that could be, BUT theyd have to give up on a young guy early to make room, but a savvy vet who was a cap cut could fit in real nice now that you mention it. a modern day kenny watson.

20 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Williams may be the best at RB2.

Hopefully he's healthy asap.

he was the nocest guy in warmups, every game came over and fist bumped everyone and was nice to the kids and stuff in the field pass access area. 

On 8/24/2023 at 6:19 PM, BlackJesus said:

1. Mixon

2. Brown

3. Evans 

4. Check cuts from other teams

* Put Williams on the PS in case of Mixon injury or drive-by shooting. 

Pretty much this :101_point_up:

Mixon (Unfortunately and Heaven only knows why he is still on this team)

Brown 

Evans

waiver wire pick up or even a late trade for someone like Clyde E Hilaire.

Williams PUP, IR, Cut and Practice Squad... or not.

• Upvote 1

On 8/25/2023 at 5:12 PM, sparky151 said:

Mixon, Evans, Brown, Williams.

After final cuts, they may put Williams on IR so they can bring him back later. I think Evans has won the 3rd down back job with his improved pass blocking. Brown may be the kickoff returner. 

Keeping Williams to stash on IR would make sense and allow him to stick around instead of risking it on the waiver wire.  They have done it in the past so I think there’s a pretty good chance it happens.