Bengals' backup quarterback job still undecided ahead of preseason finale

• baby_ben.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop
    Ben Baby, ESPN Staff WriterAug 24, 2023, 04:17 PM ET
  •  

CINCINNATI -- The battle to be the Cincinnati Bengals' backup quarterback is still undecided heading into the preseason finale. Coach Zac Taylor said Thursday that the competition between Jake Browning and Trevor Siemian is ongoing as Cincinnati continues to evaluate its options behind Joe Burrow, who remains out with a strained right calf.

r1214971_576x324_16-9.jpg

Taylor called it a “tight race” as the team wrapped up its last official practice of training camp.

“Those guys have both really worked on the things we’ve asked them to improve on. I do see them getting better every single day that passes,” Taylor said. “There’s more comfort in working with that group and making the checks and doing the things effectively that we want them to do.”

Burrow has not practiced since July 27, when he suffered the calf injury. He did not make the trip to Atlanta for last week’s preseason game as he continued his rehab process in Cincinnati, a team source told ESPN.

Taylor declined to say if Burrow will travel for Saturday’s game at the Washington Commanders.

“There's a lot of guys we will leave behind,” Taylor said.

Cincinnati’s fifth-year coach also didn’t specify if Browning or Siemian will start against the Commanders. Reserve Reid Sinnett, who was signed after Burrow was injured, is expected to see some playing time in the second half.

Jake Browning is battling with Trevor Siemian for the Bengals' No. 2 job behind Joe Burrow. John David Mercer-USA TODAY Sports

Browning and Siemian have not had many highlights throughout the preseason games. Neither has thrown for a touchdown. Browning has completed 66.7% of his passes for 235 yards and two interceptions, while Siemian has a 52.4 completion percentage and one pick. Browning, however, orchestrated the lone offensive touchdown drive of the preseason. He led the team down the field at the end of last week’s game against the Falcons. Rookie running back Chase Brown scored on a 3-yard run in the final minute. The game ended in a 13-13 tie.

Taylor has not ruled out the possibility of adding another quarterback before the start of the season but said incorporating a new addition at this stage is not simple.

“I think anything’s feasible,” Taylor said. “But at the same time, there are a lot of nuances to our offense when you’re asking that guy to learn that quickly and be able to operate it in a game, it’s a challenge.”

Taylor has not issued a timetable for Burrow to return to practice but joked that the starter needs only “one rep” to be ready for the Week 1 game Sept. 10 against the Cleveland Browns.

“He looks great,” Taylor said Monday. “Physically just walking around he looks probably as good as he’s ever looked at this point. That’s a positive and we will just go from there.”

https://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/34558/how-joe-burrow-has-mastered-the-art-of-the-setback-and-why-bengals-hope-2023-is-no-different

We got rid of Brandon Allen for a reason. Who among us were uncomfortable when we decided not to bring him back? Seemed to me that we all felt last year that backup QB needed an upgrade.

I get that they don't want to sink much money into a backup. Fine...given that reality, why haven't they drafted a Brock Purdy and trained him the way they want a backup trained? That part I don't get. Anybody help me with this one?

I'm on #TeamSinnett ... he's the same size as Burrow, live arm ... spent the last year running a QB camp, seems knowledgeable, produced magic in a preseason win already in Cincinnati when with the Dolphins. 

Let him play the entire 2nd half against Washington and see what he can do. 

I don't buy that it doesn't matter. If we have a backup qb who can close out an important game, that one game might make the difference for the year. Or a backup qb who can game manage against an inferior opponent and get a W that can end up deciding the season. Yeah, we're probably done if Burrow goes down for an extended stretch, but that isn't the only scenario where a backup qb can decide your season. Maybe someone should have cared if Wilcox practiced long snapping for 45 minutes a day heading into last year. Doesn't seem too much to ask for $825,000. But hey, long snappers ALMOST never need backups. If anyone on the roster could've made a snap with TWO tries, no less, we beat the Inbreds in game 1, and who knows what that could've meant down the stretch. Not saying good backups grow on trees, just saying we're a legit contender to win a championship in the biggest sport in our country.  Shouldn't EVERYTHING matter?

• Upvote 1

We’ll see some more tonight, but at this juncture, I’m in Browning’s corner. 

Yeah he hasn’t displayed great stuff in the preseason—but I’ll keep going back to the fact he was a GREAT high school and an almost GREAT collegiate QB. Yeah, big deal—weren’t they all? I dunno—I used to watch PAC 12 (or down to 4 now) games exclusively. This guy did some very nice things in high pressure situations. Yeah, so did AJ Mac.

Heck, with all of the tools available on the first team, he might just become the Pride of UW once more? 

Or not. 

3 hours ago, A Rock said:

I don't buy that it doesn't matter. If we have a backup qb who can close out an important game, that one game might make the difference for the year. Or a backup qb who can game manage against an inferior opponent and get a W that can end up deciding the season. Yeah, we're probably done if Burrow goes down for an extended stretch, but that isn't the only scenario where a backup qb can decide your season. Maybe someone should have cared if Wilcox practiced long snapping for 45 minutes a day heading into last year. Doesn't seem too much to ask for $825,000. But hey, long snappers ALMOST never need backups. If anyone on the roster could've made a snap with TWO tries, no less, we beat the Inbreds in game 1, and who knows what that could've meant down the stretch. Not saying good backups grow on trees, just saying we're a legit contender to win a championship in the biggest sport in our country.  Shouldn't EVERYTHING matter?

Yep, this is exactly how I feel.  Use the latest Burrow calf injury as an example...let's say he's out 4 games...big difference in playoff implications between going 2-2 vs 0-4 during that time.  Is it a top priority?...well prolly not...is it worth worrying about?...hell yeah!!!...EVERYTHING DOES MATTER IMHO.

• Like 1