Why putting Joe Burrow on injured reserve might be best way for Bengals to save their season

Should the 0-2 Bengals put Joe Burrow in bubble wrap for the next four weeks?

John Breech
Sep 18, 2023 at 2:31 pm ET 4 min read

burrow-g2.jpg

Getty Images

The Bengals have only played two games and their entire 2023 season is already starting to fall apart. Not only is the team winless heading into Week 3, but the Bengals are also dealing with a lot of uncertainty surrounding the health of their star quarterback, Joe Burrow

An 0-2 start isn't usually something anyone needs to panic about in Cincinnati. After all, the Bengals started the season 0-2 last year before making it all the way to the AFC title game, but this year feels different. 

The 0-2 start this year is worse because the Bengals lost two divisional games, and it's also worse because Burrow is banged up. The Bengals franchise quarterback aggravated his preseason calf injury during Cincinnati's 27-24 loss to the Ravens on Sunday and he even admitted after that game that he wasn't sure how bad the injury was. 

"We're going to have to wait and see," Burrow said of his calf. "I'm not sure how it's going to feel the next couple of days. It's pretty sore right now. No telling how it's going to feel. I think we're going to take it day by day."

At one point during the loss, Burrow was doing everything possible to keep his calf loose.  

Joe Burrow walking, stretching and trying to keep that right calf loose. He’s using a massage gun on it too. pic.twitter.com/tOZpn4VAlS

— James Rapien (@JamesRapien) September 17, 2023

Following the game, Burrow admitted he was unsure when he was asked if the calf issue was something that might bother him ALL season. 

"It's tough to tell, tough to look into the future and see that," Burrow said when asked if he anticipates dealing with the injury all year. "I'm doing everything I can to get healthy and get that thing the way I need it to so I can go out and perform the way I need to to win. We'll see."

That's definitely not the answer you want hear if you're a Bengals fan. The only way the calf is going to heal is if Burrow gets time off, but the only way he's going to get time off is if he sits out. 

This essentially leaves the Bengals in an unenviable situation where they have two options. 

The first one is that you keep playing Burrow knowing that he won't be 100%. The problem with this solution is that he's dealing with an injury to his right calf. As a right-handed quarterback, Burrow is pushing off his right leg with almost every single one of his throws. The injury seems to be causing two problems: Burrow is struggling to throw down field and he's a lot less mobile than he's been in the past. 

As far his downfield accuracy goes, Burrow is 0 for 12 on passes of 15 or more air yards this season, according to the CBS Sports research team. Basically, he can't hit the big play, which is a huge part of the Bengals offense. 

During the Bengals' 0-2 start last year, Burrow averaged 268.5 passing yards per game. This year, that number is down to 152 yards per game and it's down even though Burrow is facing a lot less pressure. In 2022, he was sacked 13 times through the first two weeks. This year, he's only been sacked three times through two games. 

The offensive line is doing its job, Burrow's calf just seems to be preventing him from doing his. If Burrow keeps playing and the offense keeps struggling, then his calf is getting worse for no reason. 

As far as his mobility goes, Burrow has one run for five yards through two weeks. Last year, he had six rushes for 47 yards in Week 1 alone. He then followed that up with four runs for 26 yards in Week 2. It almost seems like he's afraid to take off this year because he's afraid of reinjuring the calf. Burrow's mobility is an under-appreciated part of the Bengals offense that they haven't really been able to utilize this year. 

The other option is to put Burrow on injured reserve. This may sound drastic, but it could end up being the only way to save their season. As things stand right now, the Bengals' next four games look like this: 

Week 3: vs. Rams (1-1)
Week 4: at Titans (1-1)
Week 5: at Cardinals (0-2)
Week 6: vs. Seahawks (1-1)

The Bengals also have a bye in Week 7, so if Burrow went on IR now, he'd miss four games, but he'd also get an extra week to heal thanks to the bye. If the Bengals went this route, that means Burrow would get to heal from Sept. 18 thru Oct. 23. During the preseason, Burrow's calf injury sidelined him for nearly a month (July 27 thru Aug. 30). 

If the Bengals were to win just one game while Burrow was out, that would put them at 1-5 when he gets back. At that point, they'd probably have to go 9-2 or 8-3 to give themselves a shot at the playoffs, which is something the Bengals would certainly be capable of with a healthy Burrow. 

This is a dicey situation and at this point, here's what I would do: If the Bengals think he's healthy enough to play in Week 3, then let him play. On the other hand, if the Bengals are thinking about sitting him due to the calf injury, then I'd go ahead and put him on IR and give him the full five weeks to heal. 

Of course, the problem with letting him play is that he'll be facing Aaron Donald and then no matter what happens against the Rams, he'll be losing a day of rest for Week 4 because the Bengals will be on a short week coming off a Monday night game. So there's even some risk when it comes to letting him play. 

The Bengals made a $275 million investment in Burrow and if they want to make sure he's healthy for the long term, then sitting him for the next few weeks might be the way to go. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/why-putting-joe-burrow-on-injured-reserve-might-be-best-way-for-bengals-to-save-their-season/

• Like 1

Just put him on IR already, eat the frog...

We aren't winning with him limping around, throwing passes all willy nilly...I would rather lose with Burrow on IR getting healthy than lose with him getting beat up or playing like crap(our current situation). 

This could be a blessing in disguise as it can show the Bengals they need to take the backup QB situation more seriously and stop letting Zac Taylor pick guys like Ryan Finley, who is now a Pro Pickleball player(seriously), Brandon Allen, who took a demotion to leave the team, and now Jake Browing, who only had to beat out Trevor Seiman for the job. 

This season is just starting, so putting Joe on IR will not automatically doom it...in theory. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Putting him on IR means he has to sit out 4 weeks, even if it gets healthy in those 4 weeks he would not be allowed to play, I think it's more likely they would make him inactive.

While I tend to agree, the one advantage of IR is it removes the temptation...could be helpful with a personality like JB.

No need to put the guy on IR, but giving him a week off to see how he progresses and how Browning actually does has merit.  We do not know what Browning would look like playing with the #1 offense.  We've never seen it.  Having a more extensive playbook could help.  If Browning craps his pants we'll know.  I don't like the Bengals chances with Browning or an injured Burrow.  Rather take the chance with Browning than take a chance that Burrow continues to tweak  his calf and never gets better.

Sounds like Burrow is making noises that he feels better, so I doubt it will happen.  I just hope Burrow doesn't pull a Baker Mayfield and continue to hurt the team by playing injured. 

• Like 1

Browning was—in most evaluations—the best HS QB in the nation his senior year. He was, arguably, one of the better passing QB’s in the NCAA during his time at UW. He played in many big games. He has the bonafides. 

If he has to play, it may not be as automatic a loss as one might think 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Browning was—in most evaluations—the best HS QB in the nation his senior year. He was, arguably, one of the better passing QB’s in the NCAA during his time at UW. He played in many big games. He has the bonafides. 

Like Burrow at the beginning of the season, Browning has not played a snap with the whole band together.

For what it's worth and whatever that means... 

• Upvote 1

I think joe doesn’t play this week. Bengals use time as bye . It’s shortened week next week it gives joe 2 weeks to recover. He needs to shut it down completely. 
I think they should keep him out till he can sprint do everything. We are not going any wagers without him so if he gets hurt because he can’t move or throw more than 15 yards. Defenses are gonna hit him to get him out of game . 

15 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

There are plenty of guys who were "the best HS players" at their respective positions that can't play in the NFL, that title is vague and politically driven...Andrew Brown, former Bengal, was also considered the best HS player, and won a Gatorade award...he can barely keep a PS spot in the NFL. 

I'm not saying that Browning has no chance, but if he were good he would have been drafted and gotten an opportunity to throw more than 1 pass in his NFL career. 

His preseason play was uninspiring and his practice play was as well...Hopefully, I'm wrong, I would love to see him light it up like Brock Purdy or Cooper Rush. 

• Upvote 2

If we sit Joe this week, then we need to add that extra lineman and just run the ball down the Rams throats. They are near the bottom of the league in run defense, and despite what @High School Harry may think Mixon is still a good RB when there are holes to hit. Add the extra linemen and give Mixon as many chances at a hole as possible

33 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

If we sit Joe this week, then we need to add that extra lineman and just run the ball down the Rams throats. They are near the bottom of the league in run defense, and despite what @High School Harry may think Mixon is still a good RB when there are holes to hit. Add the extra linemen and give Mixon as many chances at a hole as possible

One problem, our HC who also calls plays is allergic to running the ball. Taylor is notoriously pass-happy, even in a downpour with an injured QB and a RB averaging 5 YPC

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

20 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

There are plenty of guys who were "the best HS players" at their respective positions that can't play in the NFL, that title is vague and politically driven...Andrew Brown, former Bengal, was also considered the best HS player, and won a Gatorade award...he can barely keep a PS spot in the NFL. 

I'm not saying that Browning has no chance, but if he were good he would have been drafted and gotten an opportunity to throw more than 1 pass in his NFL career. 

His preseason play was uninspiring and his practice play was as well...Hopefully, I'm wrong, I would love to see him light it up like Brock Purdy or Cooper Rush. 

You are correct: every NFL player was top-line quality in HS—and many were near that in college. QB’s in particular are winnowed down as they advance. 

Put this in another thread:

https://gohuskies.com/sports/football/roster/jake-browning/6762

Why wasn’t he drafted—with a bio like this? Who knows? My point is: experience a production in high pressure environments (like even the PAC 12) should give a fellow like him a leg up to at least keep this offense above tread water level. 

Or not. 

4 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

You are correct: every NFL player was top-line quality in HS—and many were near that in college. QB’s in particular are winnowed down as they advance. 

Put this in another thread:

https://gohuskies.com/sports/football/roster/jake-browning/6762

Why wasn’t he drafted—with a bio like this? Who knows? My point is: experience a production in high pressure environments (like even the PAC 12) should give a fellow like him a leg up to at least keep this offense above tread water level. 

Or not. 

If you look at the stats, it seems like he regressed from 2016 to 2018 and that could be the reason why he wasn't drafted. I don't follow Huskie football so I don't have any context but the numbers show a huge regression in TD passes and an increase in INTs. 

Here's his scouting report per NFL.com

Overview
Accomplished four-year starter who is the school's all-time leading passer and winner of two conference championships. Even with those accolades, Browning is a college game-manager whose success is tied to his talent at receiver. Browning has moments where he can rise to the occasion, but he's failed to sustain it over the last two seasons and he doesn't have the size, arm strength or intangibles to fall back on. He is a late-round to undrafted prospect with an uphill battle to earn a roster spot.
Strengths
  • Four-year starter with most wins in Pac-12 history
  • Throws with accuracy and hits receivers in stride when feet are set
  • Has some experience in a pro-style attack
  • Clean footwork in drop back and set-up
  • Mechanics and footwork are solid
  • Patient in allowing routes to develop
  • Throws with above-average touch to all three levels
  • Plays with adequate pocket mobility
  • Plays with relative calm once he's freed from the pocket
  • Experienced in inclement weather
  • Willing to play with pain
Weaknesses
  • Unimpressive frame/build
  • Injured throwing shoulder in both 2015 and 2016
  • Play showed regression over the last two years
  • Foot quickness from the pocket is very average
  • Non-threatening arm strength
  • Doesn't have hose for target practice in tight windows
  • Windup release allows cornerbacks a head start on his throws
  • Short arms too many attempts
  • Dreadful decision making lead to interceptions
Sources Tell Us

"He lost some arm after those shoulder injuries so that didn't help him, but John Ross really created that huge sophomore season for him. He's never had starting pro traits in my opinion." - AFC west coast scout

I feel like Zac is trying to live vicariously through these marginally talented backups he keeps bringing in here to play, physically Browning is eerily similar to Taylor... the Bengals' backup QB position is like reverse affirmative action for non-athletic white QBs...lol

• Like 1

On 9/22/2023 at 3:40 PM, GoBengals said:

does 4-5-6 weeks even guarantee he will be able to play healthy for the season?

Not really, but he will be better and less likely to further injure the leg.  That's an injury that needs a couple months plus to heal and even longer to remodel using the latest devices.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arkansas Bengal said:

So what's your solution?

There isn't one. They done fucked up.  I'm not gon pretend like I'm an NFL contract expert but this is why you wait until the end of the season.   Also this is why qb should be treated the same as rb is now.  So many good qbs out there that can just be plugged into a solid offense and roll. 

8 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

There isn't one. They done fucked up.  I'm not gon pretend like I'm an NFL contract expert but this is why you wait until the end of the season.   Also this is why qb should be treated the same as rb is now.  So many good qbs out there that can just be plugged into a solid offense and roll. 

Bob 

You'd be a tough nut at the table in contract talks....