Arizona Desert Birds Week

1 minute ago, Shebengal said:

Then, to quote Marvin Lewis, "Do your job."

Or quote me. "Do your damn job."

I was thinking "Every week has continued to improve " is a direct quote straight

outta Marvin's mouth.

If Zac starts the clap clap clap stuff... we're really screwed.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

"Zac, I'm playing"

"Yes sir.  What ever you say, Joe.  You're the boss, sir."

I have always said: the single most irrelevant position on a professional sports club, is the head coach. The NBA has made the epitome of this. 

The stars command everything. If they aren’t happy, nobody is happy (see James, LeBron) 

Head coaches of the actual control quality of Coach Bill, are long gone. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/1/2023 at 9:15 PM, Duluoz said:

With the way the Bengals are playing, can you believe they're 4.5 point favorites?

Week 5 NFL Odds

Looks like easy money to me taking Arizona +4.5.

yes, they are a better team.

On 10/1/2023 at 9:23 PM, T-Dub said:

Im trying to think of a reason they'd run JB out there again other than the loss of pride & potential revenue in admitting the season might already be a wash 4 games in.

They're going to risk his ability to play long term, after signing a quarter billion dollar extension, for what? 

Trying to convince myself they don't intend to just ride him into the ground. Show us there's a bigger goal than selling lots of jerseys.

to try to win. anyone saying any season can be a wash 4 games in is wasting everyones time. if anything youre proving why he should play. unless you pretending jake browning playing nfl qb for the first time ever is somehow a good idea.

they arent going to risk his ability to play long term, why are you making stuff up, how is he at risk of that? wtf are you talking about, and why are you making up dramatic things with absolutely no realistic logic behind them? being a QB has the same risks, in the pocket there is danger, out of the pocket mobile as can be there is danger, ask Pickett. Football is danger. 

23 hours ago, New Jersey Bengal said:

It's too easy and when it's too easy what happens?

wut

15 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Burrow should sit just like he should have sat last Sunday.

What it all comes down to is what Burrow tells Coach Taylor to do.

yall just sit at home and make up scenarios in your heads to you can claim angles and biasses online dont you? medical staff, ownership, doctors, joe and zac are all involved. 

15 hours ago, Griever said:

I watched the Niners/Cards game yesterday. Yeah, the final score indicated a blowout but the Cards are a scrappy team and Dobbs can move the ball passing and with his legs. This is going to be a challenge, especially away. Bengals lose this one and it's essentially over.

kinda torn what to think about Dobbs mediocre success so far, there ia the obvious, no qb, no film, can still show new looks and plays vs defenses, but with every week comes less of that. ill probably go watch the last two games they played in the condensed film on nfl app and see what they are doing. their WRs and TE shouldnt scare anyone. so it feels like its just new look stuff thats working, or perhaps a bunch of teams overlooking them each week as well. 

14 hours ago, membengal said:

Hello all - I've had some personal stuff to deal with for a bit - and the bengals are not helping. I am in fire everyone mode, even though that is not practical. Hope you all are well. 

PS- Burrow should have been put on IR after week 1. This is stupid management of the situation. 

hope all is well on the personal side. and i know what you mean with the team not helping, its a purgatory waiting game for health and consistency and defensive maturity. which has been painful. but there is no successful alternative to handling the situation, we have NOTHING at backup QB, NOTHING, people need to stop pretending jake browning making nfl debuts is even pretend successful, and AJ cant learn the office mid season like you can during install weeks in the offseason, after the bye he could play.

11 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

But we might....

10 hours ago, T-Dub said:

They're going to ride him into the ground so they don't have to admit he's been carrying them the whole time. Then when he can't play they've still got an excuse.

was someone pretending the top 3 QB in the league wasnt carrying the team? who? 

8 hours ago, sois said:

I hate Zac Taylor

he was saying some pretty foul stuff about you after the presser too. tbh.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

they arent going to risk his ability to play long term, why are you making stuff up, how is he at risk of that? wtf are you talking about, and why are you making up dramatic things with absolutely no realistic logic behind them? being a QB has the same risks, in the pocket there is danger, out of the pocket mobile as can be there is danger, ask Pickett. Football is danger. 

Why was he on the field still getting pummeled down 3 scores in the 4th quarter? Or did I make that up too? I'm curious what the realistic logic might've been there.

Currently 1-3 against some very average teams. They can't protect the QB and he can't escape the rush like he normally would. He can barely throw the ball more than 15 yards.

You think he should keep doing this "to win"? To win what exactly, the 5-12 record he's got them on pace for? Another off-season spent rehabbing injuries instead of practicing with the team?

Think the writing is on the wall here, it's just a matter of how bad it gets before they choose to accept it. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

Why was he on the field still getting pummeled down 3 scores in the 4th quarter? Or did I make that up too? I'm curious what the realistic logic might've been there.

why not?  if he wasnt going to do anything (like scramble) to risk injuring the calf, and if one of the things the entire offense needs from him to the o-line, etc is reps, game reps and looks, there is SOME value to being out there, and there is no more risk than any other point. you just play. had we got the ball back with 1-2 minutes left id assume he would now ahve come back or would have just run the ball maybe, as risk vs backup or scrubs may increase (like why most teams dont play starters in preseason, some 3rd stringer taking a bad angle and taking out orlando browns ACL or something)

joe cound tear his ACL on the first play sunday, and it would probably have zero to do with his calf. all these "teams who start X and Y never make the playoffs" are worthless, there are more games and more spots now.

5, five, cinco, teams made the playoffs last year at 9-8 or worse records (one was a shitty division winner but im sticking with it) so whats that 13% of the nfl made the playoffs with a barely over .500 record.

we are 1-3, thats 8-5 finish to the season to maybe sneak into the playoffs. there is ZERO question that joe gives us the best chance to win (no matter how shitty that chance may be) and if thats the case (it is) then if he can go, he should, if we can win one of the next two games, we just need to finish 7-4 with, ideally, a healthy burrow post bye week.

this feels like a logical goal at the moment, to me. 

id love to win the next two cause we getting mopped by the 49ers unless CMC goes down.

38 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Currently 1-3 against some very average teams. They can't protect the QB and he can't escape the rush like he normally would. He can barely throw the ball more than 15 yards.

You think he should keep doing this "to win"? To win what exactly, the 5-12 record he's got them on pace for? Another off-season spent rehabbing injuries instead of practicing with the team?

Think the writing is on the wall here, it's just a matter of how bad it gets before they choose to accept it. 

Strong stuff you say..

So i just went and watched the Cardinals and 49ers game. 

too lazy to scroll up and see where someone said it was closer than the score or whatever. or that the cards played well or tough.

they got their ass kicked. hard. 

dobbs missed a bunch of guys open down field, dobbs is playing safe QB, fast short passes, no time for a pass rush to get to him.

he is doing a decent amount of roll outs to cut the field him half (done a ton in college and with rookies, roll out, eliminates looking at anything the defense is doing on the other half, buys time and gives simple options and can run for a couple yards if its not there)

Their run game did well, pass game was nothing but a bunch of dumps short, and the one where they got hollywood brown on a lineback come all the way across the zone.

they didnt score for the last 20 minutes of the game. 

maybe all of this is because the 49ers are incredibly good, but they werent too impressive in any aspect of their game. i wont rip their defense cause CMC is ripping everyone.

• Upvote 1

Watching the dallas/AZ game now.

first drive Dobbs ran for 50 on an option play. still had to settle for a fg

they his nice mid range passes when they bring a WR alllll the way across a zone and he is WIDE open, 

Conner is running wild

dallas ran up the middle twice, then got a false start followed by delay of game on 3rd down. 

dobbs just keeps running so far. and conner

cards love running the ball when going for 2. 0/2 made the extra point, penalty, took the points off the board went for 2.. lost the point.

imagine if zac did that? yall would have TWO torches each.

dallas keeps fucking themselves, having 3rd and 16 2nd and 17, etc

dak prescott sucks

in 5 qtrs i have seen dobbs make 3 true good accurate NFL level passes.

Cards put WR in backfield and he ran untouched up the middle for a TD....

cards 0/3 going for 2 now in these two games.

cowboys line still supposed to be good or does cards pass rush suck?

cards ran for 222 yards, jesus, that could be frustrating, that the exception or is 49ers defense stopping them the exception?

prater hit a 62 yard FG before the half. 

cardinals only scored 7 points in second half but no reason to risk anything since cowboys didnt get much closer. cowboys only scored 6. yikes.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, GoBengals said:

he was saying some pretty foul stuff about you after the presser too. tbh.

All he knows about me is what I sold him. 

If browning sucks so bad, why have him on the roster? Get another OL or punter or something in that case

• Upvote 4

Can’t have it both ways. Can’t say you’re comfortable with either Browning or Simien as the backup but when it’s time to play the backup, there’s hesitation because the drop off is too significant from Burrow. Should have gotten a competent backup you could toss in when your starting QB is on one leg. Again, that’s on the coaches.

• Upvote 5

Cardinals hoping for return of 2 defensive starters vs. Bengals

Jess Root
Tue, Oct 3, 2023, 11:38 AM CDT·1 min read

e81e9f3ec71b8f96b6bf616df993cfc9

The Arizona Cardinals have been dealing with injuries on defense all season. Safety Budda Baker and defensive linemen L.J. Collier and Carlos Watkins are on injured reserve. Linebacker Josh Woods has missed three games. Linebacker Krys Barnes was basically unavailable for a game. Defensive linemen Leki Fotu and Jonathan Ledbetter have missed games.

The Cardinals play the Cincinnati Bengals this week at home and could get a couple back.

Head coach Jonathan Gannon is hopeful that Ledbetter and Woods will be back.

“I think so. We’ll see,” he said when asked about their return this week. “They’re trending the right way but we’ve got to go through the week of practice and see.”

The first injury report of the week will come out on Wednesday.

https://sports.yahoo.com/cardinals-hoping-return-2-defensive-163836477.html

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Arkansas Bengal said:

Cardinals hoping for return of 2 defensive starters vs. Bengals

Jess Root
Tue, Oct 3, 2023, 11:38 AM CDT·1 min read

e81e9f3ec71b8f96b6bf616df993cfc9

The Arizona Cardinals have been dealing with injuries on defense all season. Safety Budda Baker and defensive linemen L.J. Collier and Carlos Watkins are on injured reserve. Linebacker Josh Woods has missed three games. Linebacker Krys Barnes was basically unavailable for a game. Defensive linemen Leki Fotu and Jonathan Ledbetter have missed games.

The Cardinals play the Cincinnati Bengals this week at home and could get a couple back.

Head coach Jonathan Gannon is hopeful that Ledbetter and Woods will be back.

“I think so. We’ll see,” he said when asked about their return this week. “They’re trending the right way but we’ve got to go through the week of practice and see.”

The first injury report of the week will come out on Wednesday.

https://sports.yahoo.com/cardinals-hoping-return-2-defensive-163836477.html

Does it matter who plays D for Zona 

with the offense we're putting out there?

• Upvote 1

At this point, frankly, I would prefer to see Joe sit, go on IR, miss 4 games and come back after a five week break (with the early bye). As long as he's hobbled, defenses will pin their ears back and rush/blitz him, knowing he's relatively immobile and likely incapable of pushing off on his leg to launch deep balls. Tennessee has no pass defense, yet this week they stymied the Bengals and held us to only one scoring drive by doing just that.

Burrow is the franchise - sacrificing a quarter season and risking missing the post-season (which I wish they had done after Week 2) seems cheaper than potentially risking greater injury. And with two games coming against Pittsburgh, you know they'll be trying to do just that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

By Charean Williams

Published October 3, 2023 04:53 PM

The Cardinals have changed punters.

The team cut Nolan Cooney on Tuesday and signed veteran Blake Gillikin to replace him.

Gillikin served as the Saints’ punter the past two seasons, averaging 47.0 yards a punt. He lost a battle with Lou Hedley for the job this year.

On 13 punts this season, Cooney averaged 45.5 yards per kick and had a 40.3 yard net, with two downed inside the 20. He had beaten out Matt Haack in the preseason for the job as the Cardinals sought a replacement for Andy Lee.

Cooney averaged only 39 yards a punt on three punts Sunday against the 49ers, with a 31.0 yard net. It was his last punt that derailed his stats and his status with the team, with a 20-yarder following a sack that pushed the Cardinals out of field-goal range in the fourth quarter.

The Cardinals also promoted safety Joey Blount to the 53-player roster from the practice squad, leaving two open slots on the roster.

Defensive lineman Phil Hoskins signed with the team’s practice squad.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/cincinnati-bengals

2 hours ago, SmoothD said:

If Arizona jumps out to a 10 point lead or greater, the Bengals have no shot of making a winning.

If us common fans can see the limited mobility of JB, what do you think the opposing coaches are seeing on film?

They see a gimpy QB who can't plant and  throw with a matador oline..

Blitz a plenty by Zona is in the he cards..

• Upvote 1