Former Bengals TE Hayden Hurst might be available at NFL trade deadline

Chris Roling
Tue, Oct 24, 2023, 10:00 PM CDT·1 min read

9bd70f8468e96e1f904dca10a783f29c

The Cincinnati Bengals lost tight end Hayden Hurst in free agency in large part because the money side of things didn’t make sense.

But it might make a little more sense with the trade deadline approaching.

Over the course of an 0-6 start for the potentially-selling Carolina Panthers, Hurst has just 14 catches with one touchdown, including only three targets in each of his last five games.

The Athletic’s Joe Person says the Panthers could look to move Hurst:

With Reich’s history of involving the tight ends in the passing game and Hayden Hurst’s track record as a receiver, this seemed like a perfect marriage when the Panthers signed the 30-year-old to a three-year, $21.75 million deal during free agency. But Hurst has only been a bit player in the offense, at least when Reich was calling plays.

Hurst’s deal sounds huge, but adding him now would cost less than $1 million in cash for the rest of the 2023 season before he becomes an $8 million cap hit in 2024. But the 2024 part is a bit moot — the team could come up with ways to restructure or move other things around to make it affordable.

And it might just make a lot of sense for the Bengals to make it happen, much as we argued they should call Denver about getting Samaje Perine back.

Hurst didn’t have jaw-dropping numbers over 13 games last year, catching 52 passes for 414 yards and two scores. But 26 of those went for first downs and fans know all too well what a crucial piece of the offense he was. The Bengals are getting nothing from Irv Smith Jr. by comparison and there’s nothing notable behind him on the depth chart.

Much as it might hurt the pride to cough up a draft pick to get Hurst back, it’s a pretty unique spot to be in because unlike “outside” free agents, he’s already experienced in the program and would slot in right away and help.

https://sports.yahoo.com/former-bengals-te-hayden-hurst-030044969.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

I do it if he's willing to redo the contract to make it much more affordable. Otherwise I would only consider it for this year then cut him. 

Also depends on the pick they are asking for.

One year for 1 mil yes.

6 rounder possibly.

Bengals have 3 extra comp picks.

A 6th won't hurt them especially if Hurst can get 1st downs.

• Upvote 1

Just now, GoBengals said:

lmao... so we.... give up assets for the guy who left because we didnt want to pay him what he got paid...

GENIUS!!!!!1111

Chris Roling isnt very good at football thoguhts.

It's kind of the reality of guys like Hurst, go get big money elsewhere, dont preform (not his fault really) and get cut or traded for less money than he was making.

I'm not paying him what Carolina is, but he he wants to come back here for no higher than a 6th rounder and he wants to rework his deal to stick around for maybe 3 years at a reasonable price, I'm not opposed to it.

But I'm not paying any more than that. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

It's kind of the reality of guys like Hurst, go get big money elsewhere, dont preform (not his fault really) and get cut or traded for less money than he was making.

I'm not paying him what Carolina is, but he he wants to come back here for no higher than a 6th rounder and he wants to rework his deal to stick around for maybe 3 years at a reasonable price, I'm not opposed to it.

But I'm not paying any more than that. 

looks like 13 was guaranteed, so there is only 8 to play with, i doubt he conceded any money, its probably his last, he is 30, and being that he is 30, im not sure the bengals are willing to do anything over 1 years again. id love it, if it was a cut and sign cheap scenario, but the odds arent likely in our favor.

• Upvote 1

Just now, GoBengals said:

looks like 13 was guaranteed, so there is only 8 to play with, i doubt he conceded any money, its probably his last, he is 30, and being that he is 30, im not sure the bengals are willing to do anything over 1 years again. id love it, if it was a cut and sign cheap scenario, but the odds arent likely in our favor.

Don't disagree.

I honestly never have figured out why people consider any pick past 5 as “Draft capital”. (Cue Tom Brady pick) 

9 times out of 10, the 6-7 picks are projects. Cheap, but projects nevertheless. 

Hurst will never be compared with Taylor S’s sweetie, but he was good enough here to be well worth the trade of a project pick. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

I honestly never have figured out why people consider any pick past 5 as “Draft capital”. (Cue Tom Brady pick) 

9 times out of 10, the 6-7 picks are projects. Cheap, but projects nevertheless. 

Hurst will never be compared with Taylor S’s sweetie, but he was good enough here to be well worth the trade of a project pick. 

I'm more along the lines that we aren't going to need all 9 picks

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GoBengals said:

lmao... so we.... give up assets for the guy who left because we didnt want to pay him what he got paid...

GENIUS!!!!!1111

Chris Roling isnt very good at football thoguhts.

Do you feel the same way about Perine?

Serious, not snarky question.

• Upvote 1

For all of the Irv Smith hate going on around here, let's give his situation with the Bengals some context and perspective. He's had 11 targets through four games and he has 6 receptions. Irv doesn't have control of what routes he gets to run or when he gets targeted for a pass, so blaming him for lack of production is a bit short-sided and stupid. 

On most passing plays he's the 3rd or 4th option and for the first 4 games of the season, Burrow was throwing the ball quickly to avoid injury because he wasn't mobile enough to extend the play to get to his 3rd or 4th option. Also, Jamarr Chase is on pace to set a franchise record with targets and receptions and set a franchise record with 15 catches in a game and there are only so many targets to go around. 

If anything the OC and HC need to figure out ways to get him more involved in the offense and have him run routes that will give him opportunities to make big plays because no TE will be productive with 11 targets in 4 games running short routes while being the QBs 3rd or 4th option. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Wasn't the last time the Bengals made an actual trade for a player back in 1972

in a trade for Charlie Joiner?

51 yrs ago..

They traded for BJ Hill in 2021 before the season started and they got BJ Finney in 2020 for Carlos Dunlap...so apparently they only trade for backups named BJ. So that leaves BJ Thompson, BJ Ojulari, and BJ Wilson as trade candidates

• Like 1

On 10/26/2023 at 12:27 PM, PatternMaster said:

They traded for BJ Hill in 2021 before the season started and they got BJ Finney in 2020 for Carlos Dunlap...so apparently they only trade for backups named BJ. So that leaves BJ Thompson, BJ Ojulari, and BJ Wilson as trade candidates

I'll call your BJ s and raise you with DJs.

Reader ivy and Turner..

Their catching up..😎

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Dunno if Hurst was available or not, but Bengals should have admitted Irv Smith isn't very good and looked for an upgrade today. 

It never occurred to me but I'm glad we didn't go after Hurst, we would have had to give up a pick AND lose a potential comp for him.

On 10/25/2023 at 5:39 PM, Le Tigre said:

its the money not the trash pick, IMO, does paying a 32 year old TE they didnt want to pay 4 months ago and giving up any random pick sound like a bengals move? thats a browns/bears type move, or a 2002 bengals move.

On 10/25/2023 at 7:01 PM, High School Harry said:

Do you feel the same way about Perine?

Serious, not snarky question.

yes. perine is just a guy, lets not pretend he is more than that. he had a couple great games, but at the end of the day he is a great blocking, average, at best, running RB. 

lets be real about some things.

Perine is only able to have moderate success when he is the 5th(6th?) option, the chiefs and steelers certainly knew perine existed, but Mixon left with a concussion(vs steelers), so the steelers planned for Chase, Tee, Boyd, Hurst, Mixon, Joe Running, Drew Sample, the water boy, then THEN Perine. mixon leaves with a concussion, and the perine plays (not plays for perine but the plays that perine can run, very different than Mixon) so its shit thats not on film, shit they didnt see us run with/for him ever. 

Lets also be clear, that his stats in YPC are beefed up due to coming in with fresh legs in trash time OR fresh legs and a "surprise" 3rd down run on a 50/50 or passing down getting 5-6 yards on 3rd and 13 type of thing. While mixon is the one crushing through for a 1 yard TD or 3rd or 4th and 1, etc. 

I would take Perine over Williams, sure, but he is a player barely worth thinking about.

we dont run Williams as much, but his blocking is solid, he had the one mental error in that one game but has been pretty solid in general.

On 10/26/2023 at 8:15 AM, PatternMaster said:

For all of the Irv Smith hate going on around here, let's give his situation with the Bengals some context and perspective. He's had 11 targets through four games and he has 6 receptions. Irv doesn't have control of what routes he gets to run or when he gets targeted for a pass, so blaming him for lack of production is a bit short-sided and stupid. 

On most passing plays he's the 3rd or 4th option and for the first 4 games of the season, Burrow was throwing the ball quickly to avoid injury because he wasn't mobile enough to extend the play to get to his 3rd or 4th option. Also, Jamarr Chase is on pace to set a franchise record with targets and receptions and set a franchise record with 15 catches in a game and there are only so many targets to go around. 

If anything the OC and HC need to figure out ways to get him more involved in the offense and have him run routes that will give him opportunities to make big plays because no TE will be productive with 11 targets in 4 games running short routes while being the QBs 3rd or 4th option. 

he has also been hurt, but he is also not very good. I agree with the above, in fact i said it 2-3 times in previous weeks, but he isnt very good, there is a reason he is getting a 1 year sub 2 mil a year deal, if he were good, someone would be paying him 4-5 mil a year on a flyer to help out the team. does he get one more chance after the fumble? if so, then there is something wrong with Hudson that they dont like or cant trust.

7 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Dunno if Hurst was available or not, but Bengals should have admitted Irv Smith isn't very good and looked for an upgrade today. 

meh, not really a huge deal, serviceable guys all around, and any upgrades come with high age AND/or large price tags. two things the bengals dislike. 

5 hours ago, New Jersey Bengal said:

They already have an upgrade in Tanner Hudson 

maybe. does he block well? i havent paid a ton of attention, seems he almost HAS to be missing somehing the coaches want or need if he isnt getting more snaps than he has been getting.

6 hours ago, GoBengals said:

its the money not the trash pick, IMO, does paying a 32 year old TE they didnt want to pay 4 months ago and giving up any random pick sound like a bengals move? thats a browns/bears type move, or a 2002 bengals move.

yes. perine is just a guy, lets not pretend he is more than that. he had a couple great games, but at the end of the day he is a great blocking, average, at best, running RB. 

lets be real about some things.

Perine is only able to have moderate success when he is the 5th(6th?) option, the chiefs and Stealers certainly knew perine existed, but Mixon left with a concussion(vs Stealers), so the Stealers planned for Chase, Tee, Boyd, Hurst, Mixon, Joe Running, Drew Sample, the water boy, then THEN Perine. mixon leaves with a concussion, and the perine plays (not plays for perine but the plays that perine can run, very different than Mixon) so its shit thats not on film, shit they didnt see us run with/for him ever. 

Lets also be clear, that his stats in YPC are beefed up due to coming in with fresh legs in trash time OR fresh legs and a "surprise" 3rd down run on a 50/50 or passing down getting 5-6 yards on 3rd and 13 type of thing. While mixon is the one crushing through for a 1 yard TD or 3rd or 4th and 1, etc. 

I would take Perine over Williams, sure, but he is a player barely worth thinking about.

we dont run Williams as much, but his blocking is solid, he had the one mental error in that one game but has been pretty solid in general.

he has also been hurt, but he is also not very good. I agree with the above, in fact i said it 2-3 times in previous weeks, but he isnt very good, there is a reason he is getting a 1 year sub 2 mil a year deal, if he were good, someone would be paying him 4-5 mil a year on a flyer to help out the team. does he get one more chance after the fumble? if so, then there is something wrong with Hudson that they dont like or cant trust.

meh, not really a huge deal, serviceable guys all around, and any upgrades come with high age AND/or large price tags. two things the bengals dislike. 

maybe. does he block well? i havent paid a ton of attention, seems he almost HAS to be missing somehing the coaches want or need if he isnt getting more snaps than he has been getting.

Thanks for the insight and input on Perine.  And I agree.