The Way Too Early 2024 Draft Thread

2 hours ago, spicoli said:

If we’re taking OL in R1 give me the pure RT all day…Fuaga. 

That said, I think there’s going to be a DL sitting there that will prove too good to pass up. 

Newton is the only DL i consider. I will lose my shit if we take another DE

Discussed by spicoli and others earlier re Mims...

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2024/1/11/24033488/nfl-mock-draft-2024-espn-bengals-georgia-bulldogs

"Mims comes with questions; he has made nine starts in his career and missed six games in 2023 after undergoing TightRope ankle surgery." (whatever that is)

I wonder if this would be enough to push him into the second round?

That would be sweet. D line animal in round one, this guy in round two.

Lack of Experience

Injury History

Lots of Upside and Po-ten-tial

Yep, this guy had "Bengals" written all over him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

that's'probabally what will happen :lol:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2024/1/11/24033488/nfl-mock-draft-2024-espn-bengals-georgia-bulldogs

👆🏽from the same article speculating Mims...

"If Tee Higgins ends up signing elsewhere, watch for a receiver here.”

53 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Discussed by spicoli and others earlier re Mims...

"Mims comes with questions; he has made nine starts in his career and missed six games in 2023 after undergoing TightRope ankle surgery." (whatever that is)

I wonder if this would be enough to push him into the second round?

That would be sweet. D line animal in round one, this guy in round two.

Lack of Experience

Injury History

Lots of Upside and Po-ten-tial

Yep, this guy had "Bengals" written all over him.

No chance Mims is on the board for the Bengals 2nd round pick. He has good size and tools. His tape is limited but ok. He'll go in the first round to some team.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

No chance Mims is on the board for the Bengals 2nd round pick. He has good size and tools. His tape is limited but ok. He'll go in the first round to some team.

He is likley to test well pre-draft which will solidify his draft position.

I have done a few mocks where I traded down a few spots in the first, picked Mims and then with two #2's picked up 2 DL. Then another OL after that in round 3. 

• Upvote 1

OT is by far the biggest need since Jonah will want more pay than he's worth and probably to play the left side somewhere. That leaves the Bengals with 1 good tackle since our depth is poop at the position. It's a first round need. There is a good group of tackles in this draft class so we might be able to find a decent one in the second round but RT is a higher priority than other positions so it's the best match of need and talent.

At WR, we should tag Tee and try to work out a deal. Jamarr will rightly want an extension this offseason but it can wait until summer time. We aren't going to pay Boyd as much as some other team will so he's most likely gone. Irwin is a useful contributor who might get a better offer elsewhere. The team would like to see Jones and Iosivas step up to replace Boyd but their rookie seasons were ok, but not distinguished. Maybe Joe lobbies the team to bring in Terrace Marshall to get the gang back together. He'll be a free agent and hasn't done much in Carolina, so he should be inexpensive. He could be a replacement if we lose Irwin. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

We should sign a cheap vet to cover for the rookie since we can't count on Carman or Smith to do so. 

“Cheap vet”=underachieving or washed-up. Even as a bridge, St Joseph is going to be exposed to the dangers he has been facing for years.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

“Cheap vet”=underachieving or washed-up. Even as a bridge, St Joseph is going to be exposed to the dangers he has been facing for years.  

Afraid you're right.  Cheap vet means guy who is ok being a back-up to the draft pick, which means backup quality player.

My thinking is you sign a starter RT and make the draft pick earn a spot somewhere on the OL.  It's not like any of the current starters played well enough to be unchallenged & there's a good chance at least one of them will get hurt and miss a few games.

If they're instead dead set on starting a rookie they should draft at least 2 prospects at that position because, well, they're prospects and again we have no depth anywhere on the OL.

For some reason their approach to building an OL is about hoping everything goes exactly right.  It hasn't, in a painfully obvious way, but they keep wishing.

No accountability.

• Upvote 3

Cheap as in 5 mil or less. Not a guy on a minimum benefit veteran contract like Ford. Jermaine Eluemonor will be a free agent and was paid 3 mil last year. PFF ranks him as the 35th best tackle in the NFL, ahead of Brown or Williams.

Also rated better than both of them would be Morgan Moses who makes 5 mil per year but has another year on his contract. 

George Fant ranked higher than Williams and will be a free agent. He made 3 mil on his last free agent deal. 

Cam Fleming graded about the same as Jonah but only cost 2.5 mil. Yosh Nijman or Dan Skipper might also be options. 

There are plenty of experienced, solid 28+ yr old tackles available who don't offer upside but do have floors higher than a rookie will offer the first half of the season.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Cheap as in 5 mil or less. Not a guy on a minimum benefit veteran contract like Ford. Jermaine Eluemonor will be a free agent and was paid 3 mil last year. PFF ranks him as the 35th best tackle in the NFL, ahead of Brown or Williams.

Also rated better than both of them would be Morgan Moses who makes 5 mil per year but has another year on his contract. 

George Fant ranked higher than Williams and will be a free agent. He made 3 mil on his last free agent deal. 

Cam Fleming graded about the same as Jonah but only cost 2.5 mil. Yosh Nijman or Dan Skipper might also be options. 

There are plenty of experienced, solid 28+ yr old tackles available who don't offer upside but do have floors higher than a rookie will offer the first half of the season.

Good post. In that same light, it is entirley possible that Jonah does not see a big payday given his meager stats?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Good post. In that same light, it is entirley possible that Jonah does not see a big payday given his meager stats?

He's a borderline starter at a premium position, someone is going to make him their LT and those guys get paid.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

He's a borderline starter at a premium position, someone is going to make him their LT and those guys get paid.

I don't disagree with that other than the previous post noted their are cheaper starters out there is the same or better stats; perhaps someone will pay large $$ under the premise that he still has a higher ceiling?

• Upvote 1

Yes, someone will overpay Jonah. Call it the Andre Dillard rule. But the Bengals shouldn't be the team to make that mistake. We will be in position to draft a potentially better player who will certainly be cheaper. We can hedge some of the risk by using part of the savings on a solid veteran. There's a group of veteran tackles who teams don't see as their long term solution so they are in free agency every year or two. But some of them are decent players and outperform higher paid guys. We should add one of them as a swing tackle so we have some depth in addition to OBJ and a rookie.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Not saying you are wrong, but eventually they are going to have to start hitting on oline draft picks. Can't keep signing adequate to good linemen and expect to have enough money left to improve other areas. I want our first 4 pick to be split between olinemen and dtackles (of course i fully expect to be very disappointed come April).

• Upvote 1