Jake Browning: I didn’t feel out of place

Published November 17, 2023 06:51 AM
  •  

Bengals quarterback Jake Browning got his first taste of NFL regular season action in Week One of the regular season, but mopping up in a lopsided loss was a far different scenario than he faced on Thursday night.

The Bengals turned to Browning after Joe Burrow injured his wrist in the second quarter of their road game against the Ravens and that meant the quarterback’s first extended playing time would come against one of the league’s best defenses. A pass interference penalty helped the Bengals pick up three points to start the second half, but it was rough going until a late touchdown pass to Ja’Marr Chase made the final score 34-20 in Baltimore.

After the game, Browning said he has “borderline delusional” confidence in himself and that he felt comfortable running the offense despite the adverse circumstances.

“I didn’t feel like I was out of place or anything like that,” Browning said. “But I didn’t really feel that way coming in, either. I’ve had a lot of really good years on practice squads, waiting for an opportunity. If the opportunity continues going forward, I have a lot of confidence in myself and I think my teammates do too.”

Browning finished 8-of-14 for 68 yards and he ran four times for 40 yards. The Bengals host the Stealers next weekend and a loss with any quarterback would deal a big blow to their playoff hopes.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/jake-browning-i-didnt-feel-out-of-place

24 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

He showed some moxie…not quite Gardner Minshew level…but a little swagger. 

I always have to remember that coming out of high school, he was the cat’s ass. Had some very good years at UW too. 

I'm not going to copy and paste the Al Bundy quote here but...

Browning is the most decorated high school QB in history, so he's no scrub. 

But Burrow is one of the 5 best humans to ever play QB ... so of course there will be a drop off

I think Browning could maybe go .500 if he had to spell Burrow for a few games. But ultimately he's not taking us to the promised land. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BlackJesus said:

Browning is the most decorated high school QB in history, so he's no scrub. 

But Burrow is one of the 5 best humans to ever play QB ... so of course there will be a drop off

I think Browning could maybe go .500 if he had to spell Burrow for a few games. But ultimately he's not taking us to the promised land. 

Browning is no scrub at the High School level. He was modestly above average at the college level and he is a scrub in the NFL (no offense to him). 

• Upvote 2

I would rather see AJ McCarron to be honest with you, but Browning seemed capable. I think he should have had more opportunities this year considering how hurt Burrow has been, the coaching staff has to got to protect him from himself, because he will clearly play injured even if it hurts the team, he's like the knight in the Monty Python sketch..

monty python misc films GIF

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

I would rather see AJ McCarron to be honest with you, but Browning seemed capable. I think he should have had more opportunities this year considering how hurt Burrow has been, the coaching staff has to got to protect him from himself, because he will clearly play injured even if it hurts the team, he's like the knight in the Monty Python sketch..

monty python misc films GIF

He certainly should not have played the first 2 games maybe 3 

30 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Kae on Jake ...

Had who?  Could not understand her.

And she does not seem to know we have A.J. McCarron.

Speaking of the trade deadline... I am more sorry now than I was at the time

that they did not get Carl Lawson back.  Trey and Sam getting banged up,

Ossai disappointing and Mild Murphy sucks even more ass (there.  I said it)

when you think about who and what positions they passed up to draft him.

Typical Bengals 20/20 hindsight.  Observations, now whining but dang...

Time for the Bengals Powers that Be to give more thought to building, strengthening

and evolving the team than dumb ass and massively annoying "game day experience"

shit.  "Get Loud"... give me a break.  Play the f'n game.

• Upvote 1

Browning showed good mobility last night. He had composure, wasn't foolish with his decisions, and connected on some shorter routes. Man, what a noodle arm on long passes though. Looked like when a little kid tries to throw a football for distance with WAY too much air under it. This guy would've been serviceable to relieve Burrow for a series or two in a pinch, but certainly not for the remainder of the season. 

1 minute ago, BlackJesus said:

I would like to see Reid Sinnett given a chance ... always thought he had some juice and he was here in the offseason, has been signed back onto the PS a few times. 

With JB out I think they stick with AJ or Jake.

Team isn't getting to playoffs without  hima anyway..

I'm more interested in draft picks now.

Not sure why the lust to jettison Tee. Even your sainted Joseph was having difficulty keeping drives going without him this season.

Try-hard guys like Irwin are like a Rex Burkhead—not quite there. And before any more is spoken about Charlie Fizzle and Andrei Whatzit—they too aren’t even Irwin. Want to draft a few more? 

But since everyone wins on Draft Day, I would expect the next set of those guys to excel past the legendary Fizzle and Whatzit. 

Money will be saved though. 

• Upvote 2