WEEK 12: vs SQUEELERS (GameDey thread)

25 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Now we have to ask the question ... ??? how much of the offensive magic is Burrow changing the play on his own at the line, which Browning likely doesn't do.

Not only is Burrow the team's best player, but he's the team's best coach as well. We're now missing both.

I am confused by this and you are not the only one saying it......when has this offense been magic? Everything is hard. No one is running wide open. 

20 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

The last time Burrow got injured the team left the draft with Chase and was in the Super Bowl that season.

Time to find that gem that will help propel the Bengals into the SB next year in Joe & Ja'Marr's New Orleans

We should get a top ten draft pick and the last place schedule. Lets go!

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

If I am Tee Higgins I would consider sitting out the rest of the season ... (could be what he's doing already)

With a contract or tag coming up, no reason to hurt your value or get injured with Browning throwing you the ball.

He's going to be a monster in KC

So what did we learn?

QB: Not sure. I don't think he was as bad as some say but it certainly didn't end all the questions as to whether we need a better backup (Ryan Tannehill I have my eyes on you)

Browning completed a pass to 9 different guys. That's important. 

RB: Nothing. No one had a carry but Mixon and he only had 8. To 26 passes....

WR: While I don't think we need the best WR unit in the NFL you need more than 1 weapon. We don't seem to have that with Higgins out. (I still think we should let him go)

TE: I think they were a success today. All 4 guys had catches, 1 scored, Just replace Irv Smith with a better weapon and the group is fine. 

OL: I frankly have no idea

DL: Murphy got a sack, that was cool. 

LB: Were a step slow against the TEs. Could have a better guy to cover tight ends

DB: How did battle do?

Not sure we learned much. Hate games like this. 

39 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

The last time Burrow got injured the team left the draft with Chase and was in the Super Bowl that season.

Time to find that gem that will help propel the Bengals into the SB next year in Joe & Ja'Marr's New Orleans

Marvin Harrison Jr? 

Probably an OT or DE though. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

So what did we learn?

QB: Not sure. I don't think he was as bad as some say but it certainly didn't end all the questions as to whether we need a better backup (Ryan Tannehill I have my eyes on you)

Browning completed a pass to 9 different guys. That's important. 

RB: Nothing. No one had a carry but Mixon and he only had 8. To 26 passes....

WR: While I don't think we need the best WR unit in the NFL you need more than 1 weapon. We don't seem to have that with Higgins out. (I still think we should let him go)

TE: I think they were a success today. All 4 guys had catches, 1 scored, Just replace Irv Smith with a better weapon and the group is fine. 

OL: I frankly have no idea

DL: Murphy got a sack, that was cool. 

LB: Were a step slow against the TEs. Could have a better guy to cover tight ends

DB: How did battle do?

Not sure we learned much. Hate games like this. 

I'm not sure what anyone expected out of Browning, he showed who he was in the preseason and it's not a QB that belongs on an NFL team. You can't scheme out of that.

What is more troubling to me is how much the defense has dropped off this year.

I think alot of this can be fixed if we focus on both lines in the offseason. Get me 2 Olinemen, a RT and a G and and I would even take two DTs, a NT and a guy who can do what Ogunjob used to do here.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MichaelWeston said:

when has this offense been magic? Everything is hard. 

Bengals went to the Super Bowl (came back from 24-3 against Chiefs to go there), then made AFC Championship (dismantled Buffalo in the snow), then this year once Burrow had 2 legs they went 4-0 and were hitting their stride until the Houston trap game and Boyd's drop. 

Those long pass plays for TDs from Burrow to Chase, are those all Burrow improvising, or Zac draws them up that way. I imagine its the former

18 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

The observation began accurately, the admission that Tee should be jettisoned makes the total Pretzel Logic. 

It will be—as we have seen the last 3 weeks—Uno and hope-to-God. Boyd is capable—but limited. Andrei Whatzit has a flash or two, but is really just a guy. Charlie Fizzle is far beyond unknown. 

I suppose the wet dream of Harrison Jr can warm one at night, but he is still 1 season minimum from developing. And, again, when a fully developed product is on one’s roster, what is the need? And saving money to pay Uno brings the full circle return to 1 great player and a bunch of guys. 

28 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

The observation began accurately, the admission that Tee should be jettisoned makes the total Pretzel Logic. 

It will be—as we have seen the last 3 weeks—Uno and hope-to-God. Boyd is capable—but limited. Andrei Whatzit has a flash or two, but is really just a guy. Charlie Fizzle is far beyond unknown. 

I suppose the wet dream of Harrison Jr can warm one at night, but he is still 1 season minimum from developing. And, again, when a fully developed product is on one’s roster, what is the need? And saving money to pay Uno brings the full circle return to 1 great player and a bunch of guys. 

You can have weapons without paying 2 guys like top 10 wideouts

2 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

You can have weapons without paying 2 guys like top 10 wideouts

Theoretically. However my point regarding development—and who the other guys are—is still there. 

And if the intent is to buy an FA receiver…is this not dog-chasing-tail also? Money out the door for a hope. 

I dunno. It’s all musing anyway. Hot Stove League stuff..even though the season has 6 games left in it. 

1 minute ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Some coaching changes on the offensive side have to happen this offseason. Can’t roll out this same crew. OL and OC would be on my list

Unfortunate side effect of losing Burrow is that they have an excuse. 

Of course that doesn't excuse not drafting a single OL prospect or shoehorning Jonah into the RT spot but..

Again a lack of accountability.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Some coaching changes on the offensive side have to happen this offseason. Can’t roll out this same crew. OL and OC would be on my list

I'd like to see us let Pollack go and hire Roy Istvan the assistant Oline coach for the Eagles. The I would like to see them let Calahan go and hire a O coord that calls plays and lets Zach just be a head coach.

Zach has done wonders here creating a culture. I thnk he is a great head coach but the play calling and play design has to get better. Get an actual O Coordinator. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

This defense is designed to play with the lead, as they assumed the team should usually have the lead with a top 3 QB in the NFL. 

That's why the DL does so well in the 4th QT when they have the lead and can tee off on people. 

But when they are down, this defense gets exposed ... can't tackle, can't cover TEs and over reliant on turnovers. 

Lou's genius is scheming how to stop opponents who are dropping back to pass 40 times and throwing outside the numbers. But when they go old school and run it and dump off to the TE, he has no solution. 

Yes .yes.

Even the Wizard cant solve everything.

But how in the hell do you place your safeties 15 yrds back in passing downs?

Friermuth destroyed the open field ...

Inbreds don't have  speed like Miami so that huge cushion cost us bigtime

Love Lou but he ain't perfect.😎

• Upvote 1