Would you prefer the Bengals lose out?

Bengals losing out ?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer the Bengals lose out to get the best draft pick?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which of these 2 options would you prefer if the only options?

• Team goes 8-9, misses playoffs
    • Team loses out, goes 5-12
  3. 3. Is there any chance the Bengals can still make the playoffs?

• Are you fucking insane! They might not win a game!
    • I mean, it's not likely, but I'm a sucker for hope
    • Not unless Burrow amputates and throws from a pirate hook

If the goal is to lose, then it's not actually a loss, but a win

I'm actually surprised every mathematically eliminated NFL team doesn't tank on purpose. 

I'm reminded of when the Jets won a meaningless last-second game a few years ago and it meant getting Zach Wilson (pick 2) instead of Trevor Lawrence (pick 1). 

1 minute ago, BlackJesus said:

If the goal is to lose, then it's not actually a loss, but a win

I'm actually surprised every mathematically eliminated NFL team doesn't tank on purpose. 

I'm reminded of when the Jets won a meaningless last-second game a few years ago and it meant getting Zach Wilson (pick 2) instead of Trevor Lawrence (pick 1). 

Exactly right. Improve your draft position, that’s the only “win” that can come of the season at this point. How often will the bengals get a top 10 or even top 5 pick with a healthy Burrow? Take advantage now. 

• Upvote 1

Tee Higgins

Tyler Boyd

Trenton Irwin

Chidobe Awuzie

Jonah Williams

DJ Reader

Irv Smith

Drew Sample

Josh Tupou

Max Sharping

Traveyon Williams

Joe Bachie

Cody Ford

Tanner Hudson

Mitchel Wilcox

Hakiem Davis Gaither

Cal Adomitis

Markus Bailey

Jake Browning

I realize a number of those guys are JAGs and can be replaced or kept at low costs, but some of those guys are not JAGs and are likely moving on.

We have all of ONE replacement for the guys on that list in DJ Turner for Cheedo. We are likely to extend Jamar and maybe Evan this offseason. I'd like to keep Reader, Hudson and Sample as well. Tyler and Tee and Trenton to some extent are the question marks, and while I think Jonah has improved as a RT vs LT, I still do not think he is good enough to warrent resigning. 

This is why I do no understand the guys that want to win right now. Getting a higher pick will help to get guys next year that can contribute as rookies right away, the lower your picks are the less chance of that happening at least right away. 

Give me a top 10 pick, and get a RT to replace Jonah and a Guard in 2 to make Volson a backup. 

Tag Tee, see if you can keep Boyd and Irwin at reasonable prices, and go into the season with a healthy Joe who hopefully can finally get a full training camp and lets start the season off strong.

• Like 2

while I think losing out would probably be best for next year schedule and draft pick wise.. I don't think it would be the best for the team.

If we suck ass people will bolt and nobody would want to come here. Tanking is only good when you can get a Joey B... the only person I would tank for is Marvin to replace Tee and we have already won too many games to get him... So go out and fucking play and try to win.... 

WhoDey Always 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

while I think losing out would probably be best for next year schedule and draft pick wise.. I don't think it would be the best for the team.

If we suck ass people will bolt and nobody would want to come here. Tanking is only good when you can get a Joey B... the only person I would tank for is Marvin to replace Tee and we have already won too many games to get him... So go out and fucking play and try to win.... 

WhoDey Always 

As long as Joe is the QB on this team I do not think we are going to have a hard time attracting FAs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

As long as Joe is the QB on this team I do not think we are going to have a hard time attracting FAs.

I agree, but we aren't tanking this year... it is too late for the management to fuck the roster up and trade people away...

And coaches and players will never tank... only front offices tank seasons. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

How many years did we all get upset over the "dead cat bounce"? 

Now why did we get upset over it?

Whatever those stirring wins in lost years back then may have cost them with those sainted draft picks…they were never able to draft anyway, so I never did get upset. Made the drives home more worth getting cold and rained on. 

Since what I have read recently here indicates this version of organizational drafters isn’t worth the shot and powder to blow their noses, why not give winning a chance? What are they going to lose? A Volson? A Charlie Fizzle? 

2 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

I agree, but we aren't tanking this year... it is too late for the management to fuck the roster up and trade people away...

And coaches and players will never tank... only front offices tank seasons. 

Really? You don't think Zack would tank? Did he not sit Andy Dalton on his birthday to guarantee we'd get the top spot?

I get that's for Joe, but there was no way Zack didn't tank that season on purpose.

Just now, Le Tigre said:

Whatever those stirring wins in lost years back then may have cost them with those sainted draft picks…they were never able to draft anyway, so I never did get upset. Made the drives home more worth getting cold and rained on. 

Since what I have read recently here indicates this version of organizational drafters isn’t worth the shot and powder to blow their noses, why not give winning a chance? What are they going to lose? A Volson? 

I have no idea what you are even arguing with this post?

3 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

for Joe, 

there is no Joe this year... and as I said we have already won to many games to get Marv... not tanking this year

and that's not to say they wont lose out, I am just saying not on purpose...  yesterday may have been the most winnable game... FUCK 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, fluhartz said:

there is no Joe this year... and as I said we have already won to many games to get Marv... not tanking this year

and that's not to say they wont lose out, I am just saying not on purpose...  yesterday may have been the most winnable game... FUCK 

The question for me isnt at QB or WR, the question for me is have we won too many games to get the top one or two (maybe three) tackles on the board?

Just now, Jamie_B said:

I have no idea what you are even arguing with this post?

And I have no idea what you are arguing for. You appear to be saying “gee everybody (including team/FO/Fans) let’s quit. We’ll get that magic bullet #7 spot draft pick—which we never miss on!”. 

All I have read recently is that the brain trust who will be running the picking show, can’t hit their backsides with either hand. What difference then is draft position? 

Plus, if they are so reliant on a constantly injured QB (blessed be his name), what the hell good is a 4th place schedule—since the less than useless backup won’t be able to win anyway. 

At this juncture, it is all immaterial anyway. The more they lose, the happier people will be. I just don’t ever want to see some pious “They quit!” admonishments from a fanbase that has already quit. 

56 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

And I have no idea what you are arguing for. You appear to be saying “gee everybody (including team/FO/Fans) let’s quit. We’ll get that magic bullet #7 spot draft pick—which we never miss on!”. 

All I have read recently is that the brain trust who will be running the picking show, can’t hit their backsides with either hand. What difference then is draft position? 

Plus, if they are so reliant on a constantly injured QB (blessed be his name), what the hell good is a 4th place schedule—since the less than useless backup won’t be able to win anyway. 

At this juncture, it is all immaterial anyway. The more they lose, the happier people will be. I just don’t ever want to see some pious “They quit!” admonishments from a fanbase that has already quit. 

I am arguing that there is a higher percentage chance that the guy you take with a top 10 draft pick is going to contribute right away than a guy taken at 15 or below, and that we are going to be losing alot of guys so if we want to have a fast start next year having a higher pick so we can get guys who can start right way is a good thing. I'm also hoping they get a higher pick because the chances of getting a tackle that doesn't turn out to be a bust or end up just being a JAG are better. 

And yes if we do not protect that guy who has been one of the most sacked QBs in the league, what exactly is the point? 

Look at this, Joe is top 10 in sacks the past 5 years and he hasn't even been here 5 years.

Most Sacked Qb Last 5 Years | StatMuse

Do you think this team can win without him? Do you think any team can win without their starting QB? Or one that is on the level of Joe?

Certainly not a division, and certainly not in the playoffs. What good are moral victories at this point? Because that "fanbase that already quit" seems to be the argument for getting moral victories. Because we're not going to win the division, and we are going to be hard pressed to win with a QB that has started all of one game. I know the Nick Foles dream season where your backup comes in and wins you a Superbowl, is always something fans wish for, but the rarity of that cannot go ignored either. And I certainly hope you don't think one is not a "better fan" for wanting to get the better pick. 

Does this team have talent on it still? Yes. 

Does this team have enough talent without Joe to win enough games to get into the playoffs? Hell no. We have a young 2ndary that I like, but is still very young minus Cheedo. We have a WR core that is missing their #2 (who has the talent of a #1). We have a Oline that can't hold blocks to protect the QB (even if it has gotten better this year it is still not even a mid level group yet) and can't run block worth shit which hampers the running game pretty badly.

We have talent, but we do not have enough talent to win without Joe. This team is not the 49ners.

• Upvote 2

I picked 8-9 and miss the playoffs because if we can't go to the playoffs, I'd like to be a spoiler for teams that can. 

Or, in the immortal words of Lou Brown in "Major League", "The press would all just prefer if we shot ourselves and not waste their time. Well, I'm all for wasting reporters' time. I'd like to give them all a big old shitburger to eat." :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In a perfect world...Jake Browning will look like a competent QB2...or potential QB1A who would be an upgrade to at least 10 teams in the NFL.  He'll look good...and some of our younger guys will show growth and improvement...but after stirring battles each week the team falls JUSSSSSST short of pulling off a win...but feels like it was a bit of a "moral victory".

Still lose out...or just win one...but look somewhat competent in losing.