Would you prefer the Bengals lose out?

Bengals losing out ?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer the Bengals lose out to get the best draft pick?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which of these 2 options would you prefer if the only options?

• Team goes 8-9, misses playoffs
    • Team loses out, goes 5-12
  3. 3. Is there any chance the Bengals can still make the playoffs?

• Are you fucking insane! They might not win a game!
    • I mean, it's not likely, but I'm a sucker for hope
    • Not unless Burrow amputates and throws from a pirate hook

1 hour ago, Jungletiger said:

For those calling for us to tank the season and get a top first round pick, what exactly does this fix? 

The thinking is that if it gives you a top 5 talent like OT Alt or TE Bowers, that both of those guys could play right away and make a big impact on a Super Bowl or bust team next season. Versus maybe the 3rd best WR, or the 4th best OT we could be drafting around #15-20 or so. 

The first 18 picks, for the non-playoff teams:

Chicago plays tonight.

We share a 5-6 record with three other teams.  The tiebreaker is Strength of Schedule, with those having played easier schedules picking ahead of those with harder schedules.  The order within that pod rotates each round, with the team picking first moving to the bottom and everyone else bumping forward one pick.  

The Bengal's SoS is 0.581, which is the highest league-wide.  Within our 5-6 pod, NOS is 0.410, GBP is 0.466 and LAR is 0.531.  With the remaining games on our schedule against six playoff teams, giving us the 2nd-highest SoS for JUST THOSE SIX GAMES, there is virtually NO chance that our full-season SoS will drop to the point where we will win a tiebreak.  Therefore, it is safe to assume that if we miss the playoffs, we will pick LAST in Round 1 among the teams we finish tied with.

Untitled.png

Remaining Schedule Strength, 10 toughest....

Untitled2.png

not going to copy and paste but...

https://stayaliveinpower5.com/2023/03/07/college-footballs-20-best-offensive-linemen-of-2023/

Top 20 Offensive linemen

8 are Guards (including their 2,3, and 4 guys)

4 Centers

How about OT Round One and OG Round Two?

Best player available Round Three.

Tag Tee and go WR 2025.

Solve a lot of problems real quick.

**of course, see who drops.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

The thinking is that if it gives you a top 5 talent like OT Alt or TE Bowers, that both of those guys could play right away and make a big impact on a Super Bowl or bust team next season. Versus maybe the 3rd best WR, or the 4th best OT we could be drafting around #15-20 or so. 

I'm on the fence for this, we already got Ferrari's steered by ppl that got their license out a cracker jack box.  Even if we get those better players, unless Burrow stops taking hits leading to him getting injured I don't think things change all that much.

48 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

not going to copy and paste but...

https://stayaliveinpower5.com/2023/03/07/college-footballs-20-best-offensive-linemen-of-2023/

Top 20 Offensive linemen

8 are Guards (including their 2,3, and 4 guys)

4 Centers

How about OT Round One and OG Round Two?

Best player available Round Three.

Tag Tee and go WR 2025.

Solve a lot of problems real quick.

**of course, see who drops.

This presumes the OL we take don’t blow chunks, but yeah I would highly recommend this plan.

• Upvote 1

I think all of the current other 5 win teams will win at least 1 more game. That gets us up to 12th. It wouldn't be surprising if a couple of the current 4 win teams get 2 more wins so we might be able to pick at 10 or so if we finish 5-12. 

Btw, that list of top  20 O-linemen is from last March and not very current. 

We could certainly use improved play from our O-line but the team isn't going to make wholesale changes. I'll guess we let Jonah walk but not bring in a high priced replacement for him. Or one to challenge Volson. Possibly we replace Pollack. Or maybe start using 6 O-linemen on passing downs since our TEs don't do much. 

13 hours ago, sparky151 said:

we might be able to pick at 10 or so if we finish 5-12. 

I think much lower. Many of these teams play one another and one will get a win by default.

A 5-12 record almost guarantees a top 7 pick at a minimum ... Really the Bengals could get as high as 5 in an ideal world (only the top 4 is likely unreachable). 

As Al Davis said ... "Just lose baby!" 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Convince me they won't take the best available WR regardless. I'd be a lot more interested in draft order if I thought they were drafting OL.

That being said their season is over anyway so may as well fly it into the ground and hope they misspell a name and accidentally come back with a starting OT.

• Upvote 2

To answer BJ's question, "Would you prefer to Bengals to lose out?":

well_yes_but_actually_no.jpg.426da0e56163a1ffe16ae2b2f4b463a1.jpg

Logically yes, losing out makes a lot of sense.  But once the whistle blows, and I start watching my heart says something else.  Not sorry.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I doubt Browning could make me Who Dey!, but stranger things have happened. 

who_dey.thumb.webp.f6c3d39d27cc3abbade459be335aa50c.webp

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, CincyInDC said:

Obviously we'll know more about draft needs once the front office makes a splash in free agency. 

PLEASE NOTE: turds also splash when dropped in a swimming pool.  Just sayin'.

A $20M + franchise tag for Higgins may drain that pool.

Splat.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Convince me they won't take the best available WR regardless. I'd be a lot more interested in draft order if I thought they were drafting OL.

That being said their season is over anyway so may as well fly it into the ground and hope they misspell a name and accidentally come back with a starting OT.

What they’ll do is simply take the best player available….which will almost assuredly NOT be a OT.

There simply aren’t enough OT’s in this draft that will grade out as first rounders.

I see 2 OT’s as first round locks right now and both will most likely be gone before we ever get on the clock. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

So true.  If the draft 9th, they will take the next John Ross

If they draft 10th, the next David Verser.

14 minutes ago, spicoli said:

What they’ll do is simply take the best player available….which will almost assuredly NOT be a OT.

There simply aren’t enough OT’s in this draft that will grade out as first rounders.

I see 2 OT’s as first round locks right now and both will most likely be gone before we ever get on the clock. 

If you go by the PFF Big Board and consider the other positions that will be taken, you're likely looking at 4 1st rounders. And if you also consider the top of the draft and what teams may do, you are looking at having a real shot at the #2 guy IF we can make it into the top 10.

2024 NFL Draft Position Rankings: Offensive tackles | NFL Draft | PFF

24 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Another CB or WR?

How bout looking for a LB that is great in coverage?