Jake Browning’s stellar play has Bengals in the thick of the playoff race

Published December 23, 2023 06:16 AM

When Bengals franchise quarterback Joe Burrow was lost for the season with a wrist injury, it appeared that it was over for Cincinnati: The Bengals were 5-5, and surely they’d be worse than that for the remainder of the season with the little-known backup Jake Browning at quarterback, right?

Wrong. Browning has been excellent since taking over as the Bengals’ starting quarterback, and they’re now 8-6 and currently at No. 6 in the AFC playoff picture. Beat the Stealers today, and the Bengals will be in excellent position to be a wild card team in the AFC.

Shockingly, Browning’s stats are even better than Burrow’s this season:

Browning is averaging 8.7 yards per pass this season. Burrow averaged 6.3 yards per pass this year before his season-ending injury.

Browning has a 73.6 percent completion rate. Burrow had a 66.8 percent completion rate.

Browning has thrown touchdowns on 4.9 percent of his passes. Burrow threw touchdowns on 4.1 percent of his passes.

Browning has a 107.1 passer rating. Burrow had a 91.0 passer rating.

The Bengals are 3-1 and have scored 25.0 points per game in the games Browning started. The Bengals were 5-5 and scored 20.7 points per game in the games Burrow started.

There’s no question that Burrow is the Bengals’ starting quarterback in 2024. But Browning is keeping their 2023 season alive. And making a case that he ought to be a starting quarterback, somewhere.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/jake-brownings-stellar-play-has-bengals-in-the-thick-of-the-playoff-race

• Upvote 1

Browning has earned himself a big contract with another team next season and I'm happy for him. 

Now the only question is what another team will give up in a trade this off-season for his services - since the Bengals control his rights for next year?

I think he's shown he's worth a 1st Rd pick and Mike Brown will not give him up for less. Or else they hold on to him for insurance next season (which I'm sure Jake would like to avoid, as you want to cash in while the iron is hot - as he's made nothing so far in the NFL). 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Browning has earned himself a big contract with another team next season and I'm happy for him. 

Now the only question is what another team will give up in a trade this off-season for his services - since the Bengals control his rights for next year?

I think he's shown he's worth a 1st Rd pick and Mike Brown will not give him up for less. Or else they hold on to him for insurance next season (which I'm sure Jake would like to avoid, as you want to cash in while the iron is hot - as he's made nothing so far in the NFL). 

Nick Foles is the best-case scenario (and we win a SB). All the Eagles got for him was Sam Bradford, a 4th and a 2nd in the following year. We wont get a first for him.

My dream is to swap our 1st and 2nd with a team that "just missed out" on getting one of the top 1st round QBs, giving them Browning and out 1st and 2nd for their 1st and 2nd.

The Falcons have a top 10 pick right now and Desmon Ridder sucks. Send them Browning and our 1st and 2nd for their 1st and 2nd.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Browning is already 27 years old after kicking around practice squads for years. He will need to perform well the rest of the way to get a premium round pick. Don't think there's much chance of getting a 1st rounder though. A day two pick seems like a more realistic dream scenario. Of course Burrow's injury is pretty rare and more than a little scary. They might be hesitant to deal Browning until they know what Burrow's recovery timetable looks like.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Nick Foles is the best-case scenario (and we win a SB). All the Eagles got for him was Sam Bradford, a 4th and a 2nd in the following year. We wont get a first for him.

My dream is to swap our 1st and 2nd with a team that "just missed out" on getting one of the top 1st round QBs, giving them Browning and out 1st and 2nd for their 1st and 2nd.

The Falcons have a top 10 pick right now and Desmon Ridder sucks. Send them Browning and our 1st and 2nd for their 1st and 2nd.

Interesting..

Id pull the trigger on that trade.

If you force almost any QB to throw 42 times against a defense designed to rush the passer…plus no running game at all…the WW Hayes adage of “passing carries three outcomes, and two of them are bad” comes into fruition. 

The guy gave it his all—still racked up 339 yds and an 80-yard TD. 

Cripes, you could have Case Keenum today. 

14 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

He shit down his leg yesterday.

He looked like a lost backup .

Ride was nice but it came tumbling down 

And tell me your deity St Joseph would not have been smacked around like a piñata yesterday. Would the crap rolling down leg have been any different? 

The result would have been the same—and it would not have been any more his fault than Jake’s. 

Ever hear of an overall bad day for a team? Or does it always/only rest on one player? 

1 minute ago, Le Tigre said:

And tell me your deity St Joseph would not have been smacked around like a piñata yesterday. 

The result would have been the same—and it would not have been any more his fault than Jake’s. 

Ever hear of an overall bad day for a team? Or does it always/only rest on one player? 

The whole team play was bad.

Maybe JB wouldn't have guided to win doubt he'd have thrown 3 ints.

Yes  bad days happen.

Browning made it worse 

6 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

The whole team play was bad.

Maybe JB wouldn't have guided to win doubt he'd have thrown 3 ints.

Yes  bad days happen.

Browning made it worse 

He has done it before—several times. He led the NFL in INT’s in ‘21…including 3 against CFT leading to scores. Even deity can have flawed outings. 

Jake “made it worse”? Like 159 yards of the Stealer total pass yards and 14 points allowed on 2 plays…that “worse”? 

If you want to hate the guy, that’s OK. That’s just the nature of John Q Fan. 

29 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

He has done it before—several times. He led the NFL in INT’s in ‘21…including 3 against CFT leading to scores. Even deity can have flawed outings. 

Jake “made it worse”? Like 159 yards of the Stealer total pass yards and 14 points allowed on 2 plays…that “worse”? 

He has definitely played admirably that's for sure yesterday was a bad day for him 

29 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Allright then.