Just now, T-Dub said:

Feel like not trading Browning is them planning for Burrow to get hurt rather than planning to find an OL to protect him.  There's risk involved either way and to me they're choosing the wrong one.  "L" mindset.

Yeah if they can get a pick for Browning do it

3 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

If we get a bridge type guy at RT, I think I take the chance on Mims

They need to do that regardless.  They're drafting prospects, not players.  Mims may be a bigger risk but none of them come with guarantees.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

or.. they don't trust their own people to turn the pick into a quality starting OT/OL.

Depends on what round pick you get for him, because after the high end of 2 the quality for OT drops off and you're looking at C or G. If you are in round 3 that quality drops off again. If you are getting a 4th you might start looking at DT instead. But at that point you need a backup again and round 4 is typically when you want to start looking for one of those guys. So unless we're getting a 1st, 2nd or 3rd. I dont know that keeping him isnt the better option.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jamie_B said:

Depends on what round pick you get for him, because after the high end of 2 the quality for OT drops off and you're looking at C or G. If you are in round 3 that quality drops off again. If you are getting a 4th you might start looking at DT instead. But at that point you need a backup again and round 4 is typically when you want to start looking for one of those guys. So unless we're getting a 1st, 2nd or 3rd. I dont know that keeping him isnt the better option.

Yeah if they do trade him I think it'd take at least a 2nd & probably an early one at that.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

A 2nd is alot to ask for a vet backup

that played decently for half a season.

Are we overrating him ?

Probably?  Apparently he's both too valuable to trade and not valuable enough to be worth trading...  🧠

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Damn. I saw that Texas playoff game and thought I had found a real underrated guy in Byron Murphy because Sweat was getting all the heat. Now it looks like we might not even have a shot at him. He's the interior penetrator we've needed since Geno left -- and never had with Trey here.

• Upvote 2

On 2/6/2024 at 3:57 PM, claptonrocks said:

A 2nd is alot to ask for a vet backup

that played decently for half a season.

Are we overrating him ?

Raiders need an upgrade from Aidan O'Connell and Jimmy Garropolo. They might give a 2nd for a new QB. Justin Fields or Jake Browning would probably be worth that. Sam Howell would fetch lower compensation. 

I'd be fine with trading Browning straight up for Michael Mayer and moving McCarron to QB2.

10 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Raiders need an upgrade from Aidan O'Connell and Jimmy Garropolo. They might give a 2nd for a new QB. Justin Fields or Jake Browning would probably be worth that. Sam Howell would fetch lower compensation. 

I'd be fine with trading Browning straight up for Michael Mayer and moving McCarron to QB2.

Call me crazy but I would be all for trading Browning for a second round pick.

I think McCarron has enough tread on his tires via tools and experience to be an excellent backup.

Besides, I think he has a chip on his shoulder (in a good way) to want to prove a point with the Bengals.

Three picks in the top two rounds and so many O linement to choose from.Mimis, Latham, Guyton, Fugal... one should be there

and throw intriguing Center/Interior Line Jackson Powers-Johnson or DL T Sweat into the mix for a high second.  Trade up.

But a second for Browning... yes, please.

• Upvote 3

On 2/7/2024 at 7:19 PM, sparky151 said:

Nobody is giving anything higher than a 6 for Browning at best. There are a thousand Jake Brownings available in the football world. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, IKOTA said:

Nobody is giving anything higher than a 6 for Browning at best. There are a thousand Jake Brownings available in the football world. 

Nonsense. Browning was a guy on the league's fringe for several years. When he got a chance, he played well. He was more efficient than a lot of other team's QBs such as Mayfield, Watson, Flacco, Carr, Fields, etc. Maybe he flops with a new team but he showed in a decent sample size that the game isn't too big for him and he was able to play effectively over the rest of the season. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

8 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Nonsense. Browning was a guy on the league's fringe for several years. When he got a chance, he played well. He was more efficient than a lot of other team's QBs such as Mayfield, Watson, Flacco, Carr, Fields, etc. Maybe he flops with a new team but he showed in a decent sample size that the game isn't too big for him and he was able to play effectively over the rest of the season. 

There are a thousand Brownings out there. Nobody’s giving any pick for him. He’s average at best, lacks arm talent, lacks size. Taylor Heinecke would have put up better numbers than Browning did if he had JaMarr Chase, Tee Higgins, Tyler Boyd, Joe Mixon as weapons. 

By your logic, those teams with less efficient QBs should be on the phone with the Blackburns and Tobins no? Maybe the Bengals are holding out for a 1st because he’s so damn efficient. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, IKOTA said:

There are a thousand Brownings out there. Nobody’s giving any pick for him. He’s average at best, lacks arm talent, lacks size. Taylor Heinecke would have put up better numbers than Browning did if he had JaMarr Chase, Tee Higgins, Tyler Boyd, Joe Mixon as weapons. 

By your logic, those teams with less efficient QBs should be on the phone with the Blackburns and Tobins no? Maybe the Bengals are holding out for a 1st because he’s so damn efficient. 

That's a ....take, I guess. Pretty stupid one but go ahead and double down. 

Playing QB is mostly about decision-making and throwing accuracy.  Browning has those. He's not a physical specimen but doesn't need to be. Lots of guys like that have succeeded in the NFL including one playing this weekend. In a league where teams started guys like Heinicke, Zappe, Simien, Beathard, Stidham, Ridder, O'Connell, Dobbs, etc, Browning has value. Maybe we saw his best ever football but even after there was tape of him, he continued to play well. He's 3 years away from UFA status while having been through 5 training camps. He's certainly a better bet than Tommy DeVito or whomever. NFL teams will give up decent compensation for a QB upgrade. Your argument that he can't take Chase and Higgins with him is silly as a new team will have their own receivers and those are easier to find than a solid QB. 

• Upvote 2