Random 2024 Bengals related stuff

So, my son may be a Browns fan, but he knows what I like. This was one of my Christmas presents. We just found them in a pile of mail that was opened but I guess I didn’t see them. 😂

IMG_0760.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

Nothing I love more than footy. I wish I had come across it when younger, but the sport was virtually unknown around my parts in the late ‘60’s/early ‘70’s. Good on ya for still doing it.

Glad I did find golf, though. While not an aerobic sort of thing, it’s still a nice 3-4 mile walk over hill and dale a few times a week 

Soccer was also “unknown” when I grew up in central Indiana.  I basically just ran track and cross-country in high school.

When my now 39-year-old son was 6, my wife signed him up for soccer…and that was the first time I had ever even touched a soccer ball.  I helped out (bench babysitter) with his team a few seasons.  

When my daughter turned 6, I figured that I knew enough to coach 6- and 7-year-old girls, so I signed up to coach her team.  Quite the shock when I received my roster…and they had instead given me my son’s team of 10- and 11-year-old boys.  So I read a lot of books…and ended up with a great bunch of boys…and they went 7-2-1 (W-L-D) with a coach that didn’t know what he was doing.  With what I know now, I think I could take that team to 10-0.

After a few seasons of coaching, I thought that it looked like fun and I would like to try it.  I reached out to an over-30 coed league in Loveland and ended up getting invited to sub for a team in a make-up game.  So, at the age of 42, I played my first game of soccer.  I had a blast.  I ended up helping to create a new over-30 coed team (A Few Gray Hares) and have been playing ever since.  

IMG_5266.thumb.jpeg.c73738c1ae6897130b81b064c5cf03a1.jpeg

I now run a 16-team Over-40 outdoor league in the spring and in the fall.  

I just love this sport.  

[Apologies for the non-Bengals content]

🦗

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

Playing soccer at your age is remarkable..

There’s an 83-year-old playing in my over-40 league, so me playing isn’t all that impressive.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Shebengal said:

So, my son may be a Browns fan, but he knows what I like. This was one of my Christmas presents. We just found them in a pile of mail that was opened but I guess I didn’t see them. 😂

IMG_0760.jpeg

Merry Christmas belatedly..😎

3 hours ago, Griever said:

Has JB set a higher standard of cool ?

There's an unsaid feeling about him that all feel he has...

All...

He's the' standard of cool that magnetizes those around him and beyond...

Keep the "Special One"  upright no matter what you  have to sacrifice to do so....

That's the way...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I'm steering clear of the politics of this, but Nick Bosa also took Burrow up to chat with Donald Trump ... Trump's aide asks at the end of this clip "Do you guys want a picture?" and then they took one ... (below) 

IMG_20240310_132713.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BlackJesus said:

I'm steering clear of the politics of this, but Nick Bosa also took Burrow up to chat with Donald Trump ... Trump's aide asks at the end of this clip "Do you guys want a picture?" and then they took one ... (below) 

IMG_20240310_132713.jpg

My biggest takeaway? I believe that was his injured hand he shook with, good sign.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Griever said:

My biggest takeaway? I believe that was his injured hand he shook with, good sign.

Wow, Trump is ripped! Ya know, he’s a svelte 205.

Well, that’s what he said, anyway. So I’m sure he’s being truthful. 

2 minutes ago, texbengal said:

Wow, Trump is ripped! Ya know, he’s a svelte 205.

Well, that’s what he said, anyway. So I’m sure he’s being truthful. 

He’s a politician, he’s being truthful maximum 15% of the time. 

On 3/6/2024 at 6:52 PM, BlackJesus said:

IMG_20240307_005041.jpg

That 1980 team was a lot better than they get credit for, and that season was a foreshadowing of what would happen in 1981.

They started 0-2 with losses by 5 points and 1 point, then defeated the defending champion Stealers, who came in at 2-0. The Bengals had been 2-8 against them the previous five seasons. They followed that up with two more losses, by 3 points and 5 points to drop to 1-4, setting up a Week 6 rematch with Pittsburgh, who was now 4-1. The Bengals beat them yet again, this time at Three Rivers, meaning that at that point, the 2-4 Bengals' only two wins were against Pittsburgh and 4-2 Pittsburgh's only two losses were against the Bengals. The Bengals four losses were by a combined 14 points. They were a good team that found a way to lose in the end.

After a 14-0 shutout of the Vikings, they were 3-4 and it looked like a first winning season in three years could be possible, but five straight blowout losses put them at 3-9 and it looked like a third straight 4-12 was in the works. They did win three more straight to get to 6-9 before losing a close one at home to Cleveland in Week 16. That was the game Pat McInally got injured on a cheap hit - I'll bet some of you remember it.

Does anyone remember if there were extenuating circumstances (injuries?) that led to that five-game losing streak? There was a night and day difference in their performance for those five games compared to the other 11 games.