You didn't ask for it....but I know you want it bad.....Hot Punter talk!

Robbins was pretty bad.....but as a draft pick he's an investment and I think they will give him another chance. I assume it won't be guys at the top of this list, more like they do what they did last year at TE. Wait until the seats are all gone in the musical chairs game and then offer a vet min deal for the last guy without a chair to compete for the spot. P is weird though because the highest paid FA on this list made less than 3M last year, so it's not really a big spend to pay the best bros. Stonehouse is likely going nowhere, he is just there because he's on the only team that is currently carrying 2 punters. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_oGEDBZnU6LESfPLyD8apeXSKI-OJ4Z8IWYd7YcnAsM/edit?usp=sharing

Draft Order Cap P Age Overall stats Notes    
  6 Bojorquez-Browns 28 79 87-49.4-73-31      
    Stonehouse-Titans 25 73.8 53-53.1-74-30 2025    
10   Morstead-Jets 38 72.9 99-48.8-36      
  3 Bailey-Dolphins 27 69.6 53-45.7-66-20      
    Gilliken-Cardinals 25 69 51-50.6-77-11      
    Townsend-Chiefs 27 67.2 59-47.1-68-20      
    Haack-SFA 30 65.4 3-51.7-56-0     Bills
    Mann-Eagles 26 64.7 44-49.8-63-15      
    Sanchez-Colts 30 64.4 68-48.3-69-21      
    Johnston-Texans 32 62.9 66-47.7-74-30      
    Siposs-SFA 31 59.1 8-43.4-54-2      
    Wing-Brahmas 33 58.9 11-45-52-3      
    Cooney-SFA 28 58.4 13-45.5-56-2      
    Chrisman-FA 27 57.5 28-47.8-65-13   Stats from 2022  
    Robbins-Bengals 26 56.7 76-44.3-62-20 2027    
    Harvin-Stealers 26 51.2 78-43.8-63-30   CC  
    Zetner-Titans 26 46.9 38-44.9-64-10 2025    
    Araiza-FA 24       Chiefs  
    Wadman-Stallions            
    Brooks-Defenders            
    Niswander-Roughnecks            
    Hofrichter-Battlehawks            
    White-Showboats            
    Miller-Panthers            

1-Gilliken is just 25 and just punted well. It's a bad team too so maybe he'd leave for a winning team?

2-Haack is currently a free agent and very much available. He was great in his 3 punts last year....but has been cut in the past. 

3-Can't ignore punt god although he might be a huge d bag

4-I included the UFL punters because I think it makes sense to just grab the best one and let him compete. No position translates as easily. 

• Upvote 2

The Chiefs basically just won a Super Bowl largely because of a tremendous special teams performance. The KC punter bailed out a struggling offense several times in the game. Butker/Townsend was the best PK/P tandem in the NFL this past season. Need someone great to pair with McPherson.

• Upvote 2

Listening to Darrin Simmons on Laps podcast the other day, he said Robbins knows he has to work on consistency, that he got better over the year but at the start had some he was sure he wanted to get back. Sounded like they are going to watch to see how his kicks progress. I think you got to get some competition for him. I know it would be a PR nightmare but I'm not opposed to going after Azaria.

• Upvote 2

I don't think there would be much PR pushback if we signed Araiza. I'm a little surprised nobody has signed him yet as all the legal cases worked out in his favor. I think he was the 3rd punter picked in the 2022 draft. There's no question about his leg strength so maybe there are doubts about how quickly he gets the punt off or his hands for holding on placekicks? 

• Upvote 1

This seems like it's shaping up to be one of those situations where they don't want to admit they made a bad pick.   Dude was pretty bad, instead of waiting around for him to not be bad why not get someone that isn't bad?  Crazy I know but that is an option.  Go learn to punt on someone else's time, the team can't afford to wait on these guys to maybe figure it out.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, T-Dub said:

This seems like it's shaping up to be one of those situations where they don't want to admit they made a bad pick.   Dude was pretty bad, instead of waiting around for him to not be bad why not get someone that isn't bad?  Crazy I know but that is an option.  Go learn to punt on someone else's time, the team can't afford to wait on these guys to maybe figure it out.

I normally think it's a mistake to give up on a guy after 1 year, but I do want competition here at minimum 

• Upvote 1

On 2/19/2024 at 8:02 AM, Jamie_B said:

I normally think it's a mistake to give up on a guy after 1 year, but I do want competition here at minimum 

On 2/19/2024 at 3:56 PM, sparky151 said:

Yeah, at least bring Chrisman back for camp. Or draft Tory Taylor. 

Bring in Araiza.

Mixon smacked a girl when he was in college. (now he would have shot her)

Carman boinked a teeny bopper.

And this guy got off.  I didn't read the full report but...

Since the Chiefs just won a SB on the foot off their punter, a good one will be more valued than ever.

I have always been puzzled by their undervaluing, as a good one can be the difference between a 55 yard net and a 35 yd net per punt ... Multiply that times 5 punts per game and it's 100 yards. The same as having a 100 yd rusher or receiver every game. 👀 

And that's before you get into the ability to pin a team deep in their own territory and stop drives before they even begin, the same as sacks. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Is there something that I don’t know about that would keep Robbins from improving? 🤷‍♂️

Is it the lack of length  on his punts

or more to it?

,I think thought he was

noted for his hang time but it's a 40 yrd punt it doesn't matter .

• Upvote 1

I'm all for bringing in competition for Punter, but looking at some stats (that I would post here if I knew how to do it correctly) Robbin's overall stats were as good, if not better, than any of punting god KH's first 3 years in the NFL? So why all the gnashing of teeth? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MOC said:

I'm all for bringing in competition for Punter, but looking at some stats (that I would post here if I knew how to do it correctly) Robbin's overall stats were as good, if not better, than any of punting god KH's first 3 years in the NFL? So why all the gnashing of teeth? 

Did he not have more than his share of shanks?

9 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Tommy Townsend would be a great free agent pickup for the Bengals. Punting is such a huge factor in low-scoring playoff games. Maybe KC is farther behind at halftime against the 49ers if Townsend hadn't kept flipping the field for the struggling Chiefs offense.

• Upvote 1

^ Last season Townsend made 2.6 million. I imagine after winning the SB he likely wants a raise to at least 3 mill a year. 

To me, that's money well spent and good bang for your salary cap buck. 💰

Plus he's only 27. So give him a 5 year, 15 mill deal.