NFL Scouting Combine (2024)

18 hours ago, T-Dub said:

So which position would you rather have struggle through the first half of the season (at least)?

Counting on a rookie RT or NT sounds like a great way to get a higher draft pick for whatever rookie starter we need to foolishly rely on for the next season.

This isn't a choice of free agent or draft pick, they need to do both if they expect better results than last year. 

That's an easy one, it would be NT. Need to protect Burrow is a full season imperative. The NFL is a passing league so having a bad run defense isn't fatal, just annoying. And there are lots of ways to cover for a rookie DT who isn't up to speed right away.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

TBH that sounds like what some predicted - they really do want him, but only at a certain price.  "We'd like to" sounds pretty weak, which might be implying that the agent/Tee are threatening a hold out/force-out like so many WRs have done recently, and the FO realizes it might be futile.

With no negative reference to what you posted, this sort of speculation is what I have seen the media help to fuel animosity towards players. 

It seems that every tag “victim” (and I have actually seen this description used) is automatically “disgruntled” at being tagged…naturally PO’d at his team…will not comment on the situation (sometimes brusquely)…leading to the inevitable “he’s not happy here, so may as well ditch him before he affects the locker room” media line. 

This will follow its progression, and likely within a month, he’ll be as popular as cholera around the internet world 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Griever said:

"Takes a lot of pride in making Robbins better" & this is how relying on coaches as primary draft scouts becomes a problem.  This team does not have the luxury of waiting. 

I like Simmons but I fear he's been in that same chair for too long.  He was named Assistant Head Coach when they hired Taylor.  His duties include muddying the waters about who is in charge & undermining ZT's authority.  Not with bad intentions but WTF is the purpose of giving him that title when they've just hired a new HC to make Big Changes?  They did the same bullshit to Marvin, naming Ketchup Wizard the assistant HC when he was hired.

It's not really a changing of the guard when you make the last remnant of the old guard your 2nd in command and give the new one a 3 year contract.  That's hedging your bets, it's showing that not only do they not have full confidence in the new hire, they want a daily reminder lurking in the next office.

IDK what that's about but it smells musty to me.  Ownership need to get over treating these coaches like they have tenure.  He's not the loyal family butler. He's a football coach that's been on the same team through 20 years of underachieving.  Why isn't he an OC or DC somewhere else, if not here? Or an actual head coach? Sounds to me like someone way too comfortable with the status quo.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

That's an easy one, it would be NT. Need to protect Burrow is a full season imperative. The NFL is a passing league so having a bad run defense isn't fatal, just annoying. And there are lots of ways to cover for a rookie DT who isn't up to speed right away.

I agree but it's maybe not that easy to me, we just watched the defense lose them a lot of games that Browning was capable of winning.  Protecting the QB is more important but they couldn't get off the field on 3rd down.  This OL also looked a lot worse than just one RT away from OK. 

More to my point, with $50m in cap space and the biggest chunk of that assigned to someone with high trade value that's not in their long term plans, they don't have to choose one or the other.  They could potentially sign 2 FA's and have 2 1st round picks as well.  Assuming Higgins is as good as gone, is it really worth passing on all that just to keep him another year?  There's a pretty good FA pool for WR's, Higgins may be the best of them but there are good options for a WR2. 

Some combination of OT/DT/WR with the first 3 picks & complimentary FA's at those positions is the only way I see them keeping pace in the North. Rely solely on the draft, even with extra picks, and we're going to be chasing again.

3hpp4q.png

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Griever said:

Things his OL doesn't need to work on:

1. Impression of a turtle on its back

2. Helping the QB up off the ground

3. Forgetting the snap count

4. Shuffling their feet while trying to decide who they're supposed to block

5. Jogging downfield without getting involved in the play

6. ????

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Griever said:

Backup plan?

I mentioned him on a thread awhile back. He's really talented but he's had some injury issues. He was at Michigan, then transferred to Iowa last year. I hope he tests well... he'd be worth a late pick or as a UDFA, IMO. Good player. 

• Upvote 1