2 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

The Bengals need to reconsider their no talks during the season approach. Had they gotten ahead of this they may not have lost Reader. Same with the Tee requested trade.

DJ can say what he wants but the Bengals weren’t giving him $9M guaranteed so it wouldn’t have mattered whether they started talking week 1 or in FA.

• Upvote 3

i think what DJ was saying is , the entire off season they didnt talk 

and i understand if there are no talks going on in cincy, then when the window opens you have your agent talk to whom ever wants to talk. 

i personally think cincy management was probably waiting to see how the knee responded, 

banking on other teams would be cautious with a DT just having knee surgery

and it looks like they waited too long

• Upvote 1

Yeah, if DJ wasn't hurt, they would have made him an offer before free agency opened. But with his knee injury, the Bengals were simply more cautious than other teams. Maybe it will prove wise if they can find a good replacement for him in the draft. But whoever that is won't be playing at the pre-injury level of Reader as a rookie. 

• Upvote 1

But i also wonder if we would have kept DJ.( i am a big dj fan) how long before we would have got the pre injury DT?  not knocking him or his rehab, just your not going to blow out a big mans knees and have him be back in 6-8 months

11 minutes ago, stryker57 said:

But i also wonder if we would have kept DJ.( i am a big dj fan) how long before we would have got the pre injury DT?  not knocking him or his rehab, just your not going to blow out a big mans knees and have him be back in 6-8 months

100% - loved the guy, but he's no kid and he's had injury issues - bad enough for any player, but a huge dude, 330+, and knee-related, two major surgeries and rehab in 3 years? That's a lot of stress on the knees. And yeah, I'd be surprised if he answered the bell at the start of the season. But if/when healthy, Detroit has a helluva defensive front. 

I believe DJ was rehabbing at the Bengals' facility, so they were able to monitor his progress. Not that they didn't want him, and what he brought to the team, both on the field and in the locker room and community - and he will be hard to replace. But I don't blame the Bengals for treading lightly. 

• Upvote 2

^ Re: DJ ... I think the Bengals may also be shifting their defensive scheme somewhat and wanting two 3-techs on the field, rather than a traditional NT.  If they don't draft Sweat they may have to go that route by default anyway.

But if they draft Byron Murphy or Newton at 18, then all their DTs will be on the smaller but quicker side. Great for rushing the passer and beating the Chiefs and Texans in January, but not ideal for stopping the running teams in the AFC North unless you get a lead on them early. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they add more IDL that are better at rushing the passer that they are at stopping the run.  All the analytics are pointing to it being a more successful approach to be better against the pass than it is to be better against the run.  The number of times teams run the ball appears to be trending downward too.  I keep seeing articles all over the place about exactly that.  All of the fancy charts and models show it.

What if they go with Byron Murphy and someone else like Michael Hall Jr.  That could add a lot of spice to the interior pass rush rotation.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, BBR said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they add more IDL that are better at rushing the passer that they are at stopping the run.  All the analytics are pointing to it being a more successful approach to be better against the pass than it is to be better against the run.  The number of times teams run the ball appears to be trending downward too.  I keep seeing articles all over the place about exactly that.  All of the fancy charts and models show it.

What if they go with Byron Murphy and someone else like Michael Hall Jr.  That could add a lot of spice to the interior pass rush rotation.

Possibly, but something to keep in mind, AFC N teams are run-heavy with King Henry, Harris/Warren, and an assumed healthy Chubb and then come playoff time with the weather, run D takes more center stage. So they need to make sure they're at least capable of playing competently in that situation and not getting totally shredded. If they don't, teams will play ball control and the Bengals' offense will have little margin for error. 

6 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

^ Re: DJ ... I think the Bengals may also be shifting their defensive scheme somewhat and wanting two 3-techs on the field, rather than a traditional NT.  If they don't draft Sweat they may have to go that route by default anyway.

But if they draft Byron Murphy or Newton at 18, then all their DTs will be on the smaller but quicker side. Great for rushing the passer and beating the Chiefs and Texans in January, but not ideal for stopping the running teams in the AFC North unless you get a lead on them early. 

One strategy would be to take the pass rushing DT early. Murphy/Newton at 18 and pair them with a day 3 pick of Kristian Boyd or Evan Anderson or McKinnley Jackson as the big body. That means instead of being married to picking Sweat/Jenkins at 49 we could go OT or WR or CB or IOL. 

• 2 weeks later...