So does anyone think Goodell will make an example out of Leon Hall?

[b]NFL star hopes Sydney water is safe[/b]
By Hannah Ireland
January 22, 2009 12:00am[right][img]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee162/denverbengal/dhani.jpg[/img][/right]
HE takes on some of the biggest, meanest opponents in the American National Football League but when it comes to dipping his toes in the surf in Australia, Dhani Jones is nervously on the lookout for shark fins.
Helping him overcome his fears, the Freshwater Surf Life Saving club is putting the 110kg Cincinnati Bengals star through bronze medallion training this week.
But recent shark attacks and sightings on the east coast haven't helped allay Jones's shark phobia.
"I had my goggles on the other day and I thought I saw something large but I couldn't tell. It was a little murky. All I know is I'm supposed to punch him in his nose if it comes to that. But man, I hope it doesn't," he said with a sort of girlish quiver in his voice.
Jones will be filming his antics for the annual travel documentary he creates during the off-season and according to Freshwater lifeguards he has been a willing student.
"Today we threw him in the boat. He got it all right. His legs keep getting in the way though. He's got big legs. He also had some trouble putting the sluggos up the bum. There were a few expletives when he had to do that," said Ryan Halangahu, a national surf boat competitor.
Budgie-smugglers and great whites aside, Jones is making the most of his time on Sydney sand. "My trip is about understanding new cultures, new places, new people and having fun while doing it."
The visit from the Bengals linebacker has been well received by the Northern Beaches club. "It's been really good fun," Freshwater Surf Life Saving Club president John Swan said. "He has fitted right into the surf culture. It's also great exposure for the good work that lifeguards do."
When asked if the new trainee had the makings of a future lifeguard, Swan replied with a laugh: "Just the size of him is a bit out of the usual for a surf lifesaver. But he is learning very quickly."
[url="http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24944508-5001023,00.html"]Daily Telegraph[/url]

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='741731' date='Jan 23 2009, 06:52 AM']Interesting guy...and I'm pretty sure he's wearing a speedo in that pic, think he wears that to domestic beaches too?[/quote]
That's not a speedo. That's a budgie smuggler ;)

(or at least that's what they call them down under..)

[quote name='Bengal Migration' post='741733' date='Jan 22 2009, 02:55 PM']That's not a speedo. That's a budgie smuggler ;)

(or at least that's what they call them down under..)[/quote]
I probably don't want to know what "putting the sluggos up the bum" means then, do I? :huh:

[quote name='Bengal Migration' post='741739' date='Jan 22 2009, 03:03 PM']They've got nicknames for *everything* down here. But that's a phrase I am thankfully not familiar with ^_^[/quote]
Apparently, "sluggo," and "budgie smuggler" are one and the same. The rest I'll leave to the imagination. :o

Synonyms for swimsuit [url="http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/swimsuit"]http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/swimsuit[/url]

bathers (Australia)
budgie smugglers (Australia, slang)
cossie (Australia)
dick-stickers (Australia, slang)
dick togs (Australia, slang)
dps (Australia, slang) (pronounced dee pees)
grape smugglers (slang)
sluggos (Australia, slang)
swimmers (Australia)
swimming costume
swimming trunks (the male bottom that resembles shorts)
togs (Australia)

[quote name='VonBlade' post='741758' date='Jan 22 2009, 05:47 PM']Dinkum blue, she'll be apples. Couple of tubes and she'll be right mate.

[b]I always get confused that they (Aussies) call flip-flops, thongs.[/b] Can lead to a slap round the chops if you're not careful :)[/quote]
:lol: :lol:

When I was a kid, it was normal to call flip-flops: 'thongs'. I have to be careful myself as obviously the meaning is quite different now. ;)

[quote name='Bengal Migration' post='741739' date='Jan 23 2009, 07:03 AM']They've got nicknames for *everything* down here. But that's a phrase I am thankfully not familiar with ^_^[/quote]

At last I can contribute to this forum! As I understand it from my one-year of junior life-saving (in the "nippers" if you want to add another Aussie term to your vocabulary), when rowing in the surf boats, the lifesavers pull up their speedos to expose their buttocks (essentially turning them into a thong - not the flip-flop kind), so as to better be able to slide across the seats in the boat.

[quote name='uniwildcat38' post='741766' date='Jan 23 2009, 10:17 AM']At last I can contribute to this forum! As I understand it from my one-year of junior life-saving (in the "nippers" if you want to add another Aussie term to your vocabulary), when rowing in the surf boats, the lifesavers pull up their speedos to expose their buttocks (essentially turning them into a thong - not the flip-flop kind), so as to better be able to slide across the seats in the boat.[/quote]
*7* posts!?!?!

Good grief. Welcome to the board, mate!

You live down under as well?

[quote name='Bengal Migration' post='741733' date='Jan 22 2009, 03:55 PM']That's not a speedo. That's a budgie smuggler ;)

(or at least that's what they call them down under..)[/quote]

We called em "Grape Smuggler's" down in Florida. Mostly worn by Canadians
with way too much body hair and a gut so big you couldnt really see the front
of them.

[quote name='uniwildcat38' post='741766' date='Jan 22 2009, 07:17 PM']At last I can contribute to this forum! As I understand it from my one-year of junior life-saving (in the "nippers" if you want to add another Aussie term to your vocabulary), when rowing in the surf boats, the lifesavers pull up their speedos to expose their buttocks (essentially turning them into a thong - not the flip-flop kind), so as to better be able to slide across the seats in the boat.[/quote]

Wow responded before I scrolled down to see this post. How the hell can you slide across the seat
better with your ass touching the seat? I'd guess you could slide across better with some kind of
bathing suit between your bare ass and the seat?

Just sayin.

[quote name='Randle P McMurphy' post='741792' date='Jan 22 2009, 10:36 PM']We called em "Grape Smuggler's" down in Florida. Mostly worn by Canadians
with way too much body hair and a gut so big you couldnt really see the front
of them.[/quote]

We have a name for those types of people here in Canada.

They're called...French Canadians. ;)

BZ

[quote name='Randle P McMurphy' post='741793' date='Jan 23 2009, 12:40 PM']Wow responded before I scrolled down to see this post. How the hell can you slide across the seat
better with your ass touching the seat? I'd guess you could slide across better with some kind of
bathing suit between your bare ass and the seat?

Just sayin.[/quote]

Seems weird, but this is apparently the explanation:

"The swimmers up the bum thing for the lifesavers is so that they DO slip on the wooden seat. You can’t row if you can’t slide.

Still water rowers have moving seats so they’re all good to go. Unfortunately the ocean has waves and it’s necessary to stand in your foot straps quite often in a surf boat… you can’t have moving seats, it’s too dangerous.

So I guess you’ll all have to live with the swimmers up the bum look for as long as you want competent lifesavers on the beach."

• 4 months later...
[quote][size=5][b][url="http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/06/22/goodell-issues-a-warning-to-nfl-teams/"][color="#d81718"]Goodell Issues A Warning To NFL Teams[/color][/url][/b][/size]

Posted by Aaron Wilson on June 22, 2009, 9:02 p.m. EDT

In addition to the unmistakable message that [url="http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/06/22/goodell-issues-a-warning-to-nfl-teams/#"]Roger Goodell[/url] delivered when he handed down an indefinite suspension to Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte’ Stallworth after Stallworth pleaded guilty to DUI manslaughter, the NFL Commissioner [url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/06/21/brooks/index.html?eref=T1"][color="#d81718"]reinforced his hard-line stance[/color][/url] in a strongly-worded letter sent to every [url="http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/06/22/goodell-issues-a-warning-to-nfl-teams/#"]NFL[/url] team last week.

According to Peter King of SI.com, Goodell made it abundantly clear that he’s going to continue to be tough on NFL employees, regardless of whether they’re players, coaches or front-office executives, that are involved in “alcohol-related misconduct.”

Here’s the text of Goodell’s letter, per King.

“I want to use this opportunity to remind all NFL personnel — both players and non-players — that the prohibitions on alcohol-related misconduct, including DUI, apply to everyone,” Goodell wrote. “DUI is a serious matter which poses great risks to both those who drive under the influence, and innocent third parties. This truth was tragically underscored in Mr. Stallworth’s case. In the past few years, I have not hesitated to impose discipline, including suspensions, on club and league employees who have violated the law relating to alcohol use.

“Every club should advise its employees of their obligations and our commitment to hold people accountable for alcohol-related violations of law. Please ensure that your employees are aware of the resources available to them, including Safe Ride and similar programs. Let’s make sure that the 2009 season does not bring more tragedy or embarrassment to ourselves and our employees.”[/quote]

[url="http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/06/22/goodell-issues-a-warning-to-nfl-teams/"]http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/06/22/...g-to-nfl-teams/[/url]

[quote name='Arkansas Bengal' post='741358' date='Jun 22 2009, 10:52 PM']Of course Santonio Holems can smoke all the pot he wants and never get touched. I'm sure it's totally coincidental that he plays for the stealers.[/quote]

:shakesfist:

Archived