Chris Henry

[quote name='Jeb' post='591488' date='Nov 11 2007, 09:16 PM']Anybody else think Suggs is auditioning for other teams. Its the first time I ever remember him helping Carson get back up.[/quote]

Well seeing as he has said he is happy in baltimore and baltimore let A.T. go to free up money. I'd say no.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Chris Henry is the heart of the offense... more like the straw that breaks the cammel's back. He is a great receiver, and I think that he is the one right now that adds that extra talent that other teams cant deal with. If it wasn't him it could have been Irons or a healthy C. Perry

[quote name='Dougitydog' post='591724' date='Nov 12 2007, 03:45 AM']Came back to the board today to let everyone know with the dynamic that my boy chris adds we will be in the playoffs this year...mark it down 10-6 he said it himself he is feeling it[/quote]

Serioulsy, come back more often. I am a homer thru and thru. Always have been and always will be.

I say 10-6 record is doable and what I expect until they lose another game...... :P

[quote name='JC' post='591562' date='Nov 11 2007, 10:33 PM'][b]The thing that hurt me the most is that when we got to the red zone we tried to go to the run more[/b] and i think we should have tried chris a bit more...i remember us trying him once...which got all fucked up cause of a jam..but hopefully they will use him some more in red zone next game.

Dudes a fucking monster...if he keeps his head on straight chad can say goodbye to those records he is setting now.[/quote]

I agree. First down and goal - run the ball for a loss. Happened every time. You are not going to run on the Ravens down there. Go 4 wide and throw it 3 times.

It drove me crazy.

[quote name='Jason' post='591746' date='Nov 12 2007, 06:53 AM']I agree. First down and goal - run the ball for a loss. Happened every time. You are not going to run on the Ravens down there. Go 4 wide and throw it 3 times.

It drove me crazy.[/quote]

I thought it was pretty clear that we were just trying to kill the clock and were willing to take the field goals. At one point, we rushed 3 straight times in the redzone. Marvin was putting trust in the defense, and they responded.

This really felt like a team win. No egos, no forcing plays, no undisciplined play. Just guys doing their jobs and accepting their roles for the good of the team.

[quote name='Jason' post='591746' date='Nov 12 2007, 06:53 AM']I agree. First down and goal - run the ball for a loss. Happened every time. You are not going to run on the Ravens down there.[/quote]

Yep, the last few Baltimore turnovers I shouted to the wife "I smell three more points!"

[quote][size=5][b]Henry makes quick impact [/b][/size]

By Kevin Goheen
Post staff reporter

BALTIMORE - Chris Henry had to watch from the sideline or the TV set for eight games as the Bengals sought somebody to fill his role as the third receiver behind starters Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh. It was his own fault he was on the NFL's suspension list but he finished serving his punishment last week and the results of his return were evident in Sunday's 21-7 win against the Baltimore Ravens at M&T Bank Stadium.

Henry had four catches for 99 yards, including a 50-yard reception in the second quarter that led to the second of seven field goals by Shayne Graham. While the Bengals didn't get into the end zone against the Ravens, neither could the Ravens simply focus all of their attention on Johnson and Houshmandzadeh.

"It felt real good to be back out there with my teammates," said Henry. "I'm just excited to be out there with those guys again."

Houshmandzadeh had six catches for 45 yards, while Johnson caught four passes for 73 yards. Quarterback Carson Palmer completed 23 of 34 passes for 271 yards, connecting with nine different receivers in the game. His deep completion to Henry nearly went for a touchdown. Henry was tackled at the Baltimore 9-yard line by cornerback Derrick Martin.

"Carson threw that ball up there and when I first looked up at it I didn't think I'd be able to get to it," said Henry. "I just put my head down and went to get it."

The Ravens were playing short-handed in the secondary; starters Samari Rolle (illness) and Chris McAlister (knee) did not play, and backup Corey Ivy left the game in the first quarter with a concussion. That left Martin and Ronnie Prude, both second-year players, as the only healthy cornerbacks for the Ravens.

"They did a good job of protecting those guys, playing a lot of Cover 2 and letting their safeties help double cover," said Palmer. "Chad and T.J. and Slim (Henry) did a great job of getting open and making plays."

[b]TEMPLE OF DOOM[/b] - Rookie safety Chinedum Ndukwe came up with the first interception of his career, picking off a Kyle Boller pass in the end zone in the fourth quarter. Ndukwe helped bring about Boller's appearance when he stripped Ravens starter Steve McNair of the ball on the opening series of the third quarter. McNair had scrambled out of the pocket on a third-and-9 play and had picked up six yards when Ndukwe knocked the ball out of McNair's hand.

Fellow safety Dexter Jackson picked up the loose ball and returned it 19 yards to set up a field goal drive.

"Things were going well for us and we had a lot of opportunities to step up," said Ndukwe, a seventh-round pick from Notre Dame. "When the plays came, we made them."

Ndukwe could have had his first interception a couple of plays sooner but couldn't hold onto a throw by Boller intended for tight end Quinn Sypniewski. When Boller threw for Sypniewski again, this time in the end zone, Ndukwe didn't miss his chance.

"I wanted that first one. It would have been a sweet grab, too; one-handed," said Ndukwe. "It didn't happen but I was excited to get that first one."

[b]RUNNING AGROUND[/b] - The Bengals running game was held in check for the second consecutive game. Not counting a pair of victory formation kneel downs by Carson Palmer, the Bengals gained 72 yards on 32 attempts. They had just 28 yards on 17 carries in last week's loss at Buffalo.

Rudi Johnson carried the ball 22 times for 46 yards, an average of 2.1 yards per rush. Kenny Watson had nine carries for 24 yards, a 2.7-yard average. Johnson did have a long run of 15 yards but he said he is still recovering from the hamstring injury that forced him to miss all or parts of five games this season.

"We stuck to the run, even though it wasn't as productive as we would want it to be. It was productive enough to win the game," said Johnson. "My hamstring is better and I'm looking forward to next week because it's going to be better and I'm going to get to play in my first home game since the opening Monday night game."

The Bengals host Arizona next Sunday.

[b]RUMBLING, BUMBLING, STUMBLING[/b] - Bengals right guard Bobbie Williams still has never officially carried the football in a game but don't tell that to Ravens cornerback Corey Ivy.

Ivy, who is 5 feet 9 and weighs 188 pounds, suffered a concussion after he made a tackle of Williams, who had picked up a fumble by Carson Palmer in the first quarter.

Williams is 6-4 and weighs 345 pounds.

The short return did not count in the official stats as rules dictate only the player who fumbles the ball on fourth down may advance it for his team. Williams had fun while it lasted, however.

"It's not my natural position," said Williams. "All I thought was 'Don't fumble.' That's all I was thinking."

[b]LONG RETURN[/b] - Antonio Chatman got the first Bengals punt return of more than 10 yards this season when he brought a Sam Koch punt back 19 yards in the third quarter. It was just the 10th time all season the Bengals were able to return a punt; they've called for 13 fair catches, including one on Sunday.[/quote]

[url="http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071112/SPT03/711120316/1022/RSS0302"]http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...16/1022/RSS0302[/url]

[quote][size=5][b]Palmer: Play of WR Henry 'phenomenal'[/b][/size]
[size=3][b]Back from an 8-game suspension, Bengals wideout delivers with 4 catches for 99 yards.[/b][/size]
By Chick Ludwig

Staff Writer

Monday, November 12, 2007

BALTIMORE — Quarterback Carson Palmer used one word to describe wide receiver Chris Henry after the Bengals' 21-7 victory on Sunday.

"Phenomenal," he said.

Henry made an immediate impact in his first game back from an eight-game suspension, hauling in four passes for a team-high 99 yards — a 24.8 average — including a long gain of 50.

The game's longest play set up Shayne Graham's 19-yard field goal, giving the Bengals a 6-0 lead they wouldn't lose.

"Carson gave me a look at the line when he made the call, so I knew it was coming," said Henry, who beat the Ravens duo of cornerback Derrick Martin and safety Dawan Landry. "I just had to run and go get it."

Henry is a mismatch nightmare for opponents because he's so tall and fast. He brought fresh legs to the field, and it showed.

"That was my job — to stay in shape while I was out," Henry said. "So I'm good to go. I ain't missed a beat. I'm ready to play ball. It's what I do."

Head coach Marvin Lewis was pleased by Henry's performance.

"I thought Chris made a couple of nice third down catches on the sideline," Lewis said. "The thing I was most worried about was him possessing the ball. Obviously, it's the first time he's been tackled in a while. He did a good job.

"Hopefully, as he keeps getting back into things and understanding his assignments more and more, he'll continue to make plays."

That's what he plans on doing.

"Like I always say, I'm a playmaker," Henry said. "I'm going to make that happen every chance I get. It's going to make it tough for other teams now that I'm on the field with Chad (Johnson) and T.J. (Houshmandzadeh)."

Henry was asked if he feels like he's got a target on his back because Bengals

fans are waiting for him to make another off-the-field mistake, which would jeopardize his career.

"I'm not going to let nothing like that bother me," he said. "It's kinda crazy. I'm always on the news for negative stuff. I've just got to put it behind me. It's over with now. I'm just focusing on playing Arizona next week.

"I'm feeling like we're going to make the playoffs. If we go out there and win the next seven games, we'll be in there."[/quote]

Any chance we might see Chris Perry next week? He is exactly the type of back the Bengals need in the backfield of this offense. Other than the injury problems of course, but the Bengals need more backs like Perry and Watson who catch and run very well. I think it is time to either put Rudi on IR or just stop playing him. He holds the Bengals offense back everytime he is on the field. I hope Chris can come back and give the Bengals offense a spark like Chris Henry has, that would be the best.

[quote][size=5][b]Bengals notebook: Henry, back on field, contributes to victory[/b][/size]
Monday, November 12, 2007 3:41 AM
By Bill Rabinowitz

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

BALTIMORE -- Yes, Chris Henry does make a difference.

The receiver's off-field transgressions have helped stain Cincinnati's reputation, but Henry showed yesterday why the Bengals didn't sever ties with him.

In his first game back from an eight-game suspension, Henry caught four passes for 99 yards in Cincinnati's 21-7 victory over Baltimore. All of his receptions were for first downs, the biggest a 50-yarder on which he raced past two defenders to make the catch. That play set up the second of Shayne Graham's seven field goals.

"It just felt good being out there with my teammates," Henry said. "I can't even explain it right now.

"Just being away from something I love to do, it hurt. It taught me a lesson, though. I don't have any time for any bull. I have to walk a straight line and do everything right."

[b]Big day for Ndukwe[/b]
Dublin Coffman graduate Chinedum Ndukwe had a game to remember, with his brother on the other sideline.

The rookie safety stripped the ball from quarterback Steve McNair for one turnover, made a key hit on a pooched kickoff that enabled teammate Marvin White to make the recovery, and later got his first career interception.

Just before that fourth-quarter pick, Ndukwe nearly made a one-handed catch.

"I wanted that first one," he said. "That would have been a sweet one, one-handed."

Ndukwe's brother, Ikechuku, is an offensive lineman on the Ravens' practice squad.

"I saw him after the game," Ndukwe said. "He's glad I played well. It's a downer for them, but he was excited for me."

[b]Graham not greedy[/b]
Graham set a Bengals record for field goals in a game and came within one of tying the NFL record set by Tennessee's Rob Bironas on Oct. 21. The Bengals were in field-goal range at the end of the game but took a knee.

"I would be lying if I said I wasn't hoping for another chance," Graham said. "But you don't want to rub it in to the other team because the game was already won at that point, and it wouldn't be right."

[b]Run game sputters[/b]
The Bengals failed to get their running game untracked. Rudi Johnson ran 22 times for 46 yards, dropping his season average to 2.6 per carry. Kenny Watson gained 24 yards on nine carries.

Cincinnati held Willis McGahee to 60 yards on 17 carries.

brabinowitz@dispatch.com[/quote]

[url="http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/bengals/stories/2007/11/12/bengals_second1112.ART_ART_11-12-07_C4_VD8ETN8.html?sid=101"]http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/benga...N8.html?sid=101[/url]

[quote name='SF2' post='592045' date='Nov 12 2007, 03:30 PM']I would hope he had a great game. While everyone else has played 8 games (if not hurt) Henry has had a 9 week bye week. Fresh legs are a wonderful thing particularly if you have talent.[/quote]
but only 2 weeks to get the timing down that every one else has....and in shape and football shape are 2 different things.

[quote name='Cricket' post='592140' date='Nov 12 2007, 07:31 PM']It was a fake over-excited tone. "Shouted" might be a bit strong.[/quote]

Oh I yell and shout at the TV, I don't need anyone to talk to if I am by myself. The wife goes shopping and my two dogs go elsewhere in the house, as far away as they can get - they think they are in trouble! :lol:

One year, I think 2 years ago it was a nice September day and all the windows are open. I'm yelling and cursing during a game. The next day I met my neighbor while we were both getting mail. And she asked politely if everything was OK? I didn't understand the context of her question and she proceeded to say she heard me the prior day. Looking at her face, I think she thought I beat my wife and strangled the dogs........ In hindsight, it was quit funny. :P

Archived