Rudi Stats Skewed

[quote name='SlantNGo' post='606700' date='Dec 9 2007, 08:21 PM']The real change is in the O-line. With Steinbach and Braham, I suspect that we tried to angle block defenders more so that the hole opens up where it was drawn, allowing Rudi to hit it with a head of steam. Now with Whitworth and Ghiaciuc, I think we are just trying to drive defenders back, which opens up big holes, but not necessarily where they're supposed to be. Rudi doesn't have a great first step out of his cut and is not well suited for this system. This would be a great system for Chris Perry, however, and Kenny Watson looks to have good vision and acceleration out of his cut, and that's helping him pick up yards too.[/quote]

I think you are really onto something here, and perhaps have Irons and Perry run behind this line would make a huge difference.

One thing is certain...The kind of backs they have been drafting/picking up do NOT run like Rudi. You have to assume something from that.

BZ

[quote name='BengalsFREAK' post='606770' date='Dec 9 2007, 11:54 PM']Rudi's tapdancing act has caught up with him now that the offensive line isn't one of the best in football. His behind the line dancing has driven me crazy for years....it's just become more apparent this year, now that other teams are able to get more penetration.[/quote]

when 50% of your runs have you being met 3 yards into the backfield you need to tap dance. rudi hasnt been right for over a year, last year he had back problems and this yea rthe groin or hammy whatever it was.

i dont think we have the roster space or time to see what he has left in the tank next year, and with dorsey playing well, we may not need c perry's services anymore either. which is sad, the guy showed great flashes when he actually palyed...

he clearly isnt happy here and we have a stockpile of average to above average RB's right now..

I totally understand people defending Rudi, but I agree with the people who say our system has changed and now it seems he might not be the best back for our system.

what no one has answered (probably because there is no good answer) is how when a player gets 78 yards on 3 carries in the first half...HOW THE FUCK DOES HE ONLY GET 1 CARRY IN THE 2ND HALF?!?!??!?!?!?!

[quote name='GoBengals' post='606796' date='Dec 10 2007, 12:39 AM']when 50% of your runs have you being met 3 yards into the backfield you need to tap dance. rudi hasnt been right for over a year, last year he had back problems and this yea rthe groin or hammy whatever it was.

i dont think we have the roster space or time to see what he has left in the tank next year, and with dorsey playing well, we may not need c perry's services anymore either. which is sad, the guy showed great flashes when he actually palyed...

he clearly isnt happy here and we have a stockpile of average to above average RB's right now..[/quote]

Don't take this as a "Watson is teh solutionz!!!" reply, because I don't think he is. However, I will say that Watson is hitting the line with fire and without hesitation and it's doing him a whole lot better than Rudi Johnson's tapdance is doing him. Hell, the guy that's SUPPOSED to be shifty and dancy (DeDe) is hitting the hole with more determination and decisiveness than Rudi is. That's a problem.

[quote][size=5][b]Rudi & DeDe Show runs Rams into the ground [/b][/size]
By Bill Coats
12/09/2007 7:35 pm

CINCINNATI - At the halfway mark of the season, opponents were gashing the Rams for an average of 129.9 yards per game on the ground. And the Rams were 0-8. [b]In the next four games, coordinator Jim Haslett’s group yielded only 68.3 rushing yards per game. And the Rams went 3-1.

But that trend ended with a thud Sunday, as the Bengals rolled up 192 yards on the ground – a season high for a Rams foe.[/b]

“That’s way too much,” linebacker Chris Draft said, shaking his head. “We missed some tackles, and [b]Rudi runs the ball hard.”[/b]

[b]Rudi Johnson pounded out 92 yards on 23 carries. [/b]Former Lindenwood University star DeDe Dorsey added 81 yards on just four tries.

[b]Johnson was particularly effective on a crucial series late in the fourth quarter. With the Bengals clinging to a 16-10 lead, he carried six times for 48 yards in a seven-play drive that culminated with a 46-yard field goal by Shayne Graham and a two-score bulge with just over 2 minutes to go.

“We had a chance to get the ball back at the end of the game, and we didn’t do that,” Draft said. “We needed to make some more plays.”[/b]

Donnie Jones had one coming. The Rams punter has had a Pro Bowl-caliber season, but he was well off form vs. the Bengals. Jones hit several ugly balls and wound up averaging just 38.3 yards – nearly 10 yards below his season norm – on six boots.

The Rams have dealt with injuries in virtually every department this season. Now, you can add the coaching staff to the list. Secondary coach Willy Robinson suffered a torn thigh muscle when he slipped near the locker-room entrance at halftime. Robinson persevered, though, and was at his post in the press box for the second half.

[b]Notes & quotes:

>>The Rams still haven’t given up 100 yards to a single ballcarrier.[/b]

>>Draft was all over the soggy turf at Paul Brown Stadium. The unofficial press-box stats credited him with 12 tackles, but it sure seemed like more.

>>WR Torry Holt has gone over 1,000 receiving yards for the eighth year in a row. He had 90 yards on eight catches Sunday, boosting his season totals to 1,034 and 90. At that pace, Holt would finish with 1,272 yards and 110 receptions.

>>Despite missing four games with injuries, RB Steven Jackson still has a shot at a 1,000-yard rushing season. He tacked on 91 vs. the Bengals, and with 719 overall needs to average 94 over the final three outings to reach quadruple figures.

>>Rams President John Shaw has all but guaranteed that Scott Linehan will return as head coach in 2008. So, can we kick that subject to the back burner, please?

All for now. . .[/quote]

[url="http://www.stltoday.com/blogs/sports-around-the-horns/2007/12/rudi-dede-show-runs-rams-into-the-ground/"]http://www.stltoday.com/blogs/sports-aroun...nto-the-ground/[/url]

[quote name='GoBengals' post='606796' date='Dec 10 2007, 12:39 AM']when 50% of your runs have you being met 3 yards into the backfield you need to tap dance. rudi hasnt been right for over a year, last year he had back problems and this yea rthe groin or hammy whatever it was.

he clearly isnt happy here and we have a stockpile of average to above average RB's right now..[/quote]
yep.
Irons, Dorsey and Watson could, should give the team a nice contingent next year..

BTW.. Im with the guys on here that dont understand the reason Dorsey didnt get alot of touches
in the second half... You'd think they'd want to ride that horse until he dropped ....

[quote][size=5][b]Rudi-style rushing attack nets 192[/b][/size]
[size=3][b]Dorsey chips in with 81 yards[/b][/size]
BY SHANNON RUSSELL | SRUSSELL@ENQUIRER.COM

Rudi Johnson may not feel 100 percent recovered from a Week 3 hamstring strain, but it didn't show Sunday.

The running back rushed 23 times for 92 yards and a touchdown, and posted a season-best long run of 22 yards in the Bengals' win over St. Louis.

He led a ground campaign that produced a season-best 192 yards. Johnson alone rushed for more than what the Bengals' 26th-ranked run game is averaging (89.3 yards), and second-year player DeDe Dorsey came close with a career-high 81 rushing yards.

Dorsey had only four carries, with a long run of 45 yards. The running back nearly doubled his season-long rushing output in the win.

Johnson, who said his health is getting "better and better each week," struggled at the game's start. He was hit for a six-yard loss on the Bengals' first series, and finished the first half with eight carries for nine yards - but his hamstring wasn't necessarily the culprit.

"You had to feel sorry for him a little bit," coach Marvin Lewis said. "We didn't get the guys up front blocked and he took some hits right when he received the ball. He had a couple of good, productive runs today. We ran some more Rudi-style runs, which helped us out."

What's a Rudi-style run?

"A lot of power stuff down-hill, right at you," Johnson explained. "Smash-mouth, in-your-face-type football. We have had success with that, especially today when it counted."

Johnson ran in a 1-yard score in the first quarter for his third rushing touchdown this season.

But he rolled up 83 of his yards in the second half, including 46 yards on the Bengals' last full series, which culminated in a Shayne Graham field goal.

"That's what I do. I'm a closer, baby. Whenever the game is on the line, you know, that's what I'm going to do. I've been doing it all my career, so for that to happen today definitely felt good," Johnson said.

Dorsey averaged 26 yards a carry in the first half but played little in the second half. He had a 3-yard run in the third quarter.

"I definitely want it to expand (my role), but like I said, I trust my coaches," Dorsey said. "I'm sure they know what they're doing, so anytime they can use me, when they call my number, I'm going to take advantage of it."

Lewis said Dorsey has "done a good job of finding his niches."

Dorsey broke several tackles and sprinted down the sideline for a second-quarter, 45-yard gain. It was cut short by free safety Oshiomogho Atogwe, who pushed him out of bounds.

Dorsey attributes moves like that to his 5-foot-11, 196-pound frame.

"It helps to be really, really small. Not much of me to hit," Dorsey said. "Being smaller, I try to use quickness to my advantage. Anytime there's a hole I think I can squeeze through, I go for it."[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071210/SPT02/712100337/1066/rss07"]http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...0337/1066/rss07[/url]

[quote][size=5][b]Running game rediscovered [/b][/size]
[size=3][b]Bengals rush 36 times for 192 yards [/b][/size]

By Kevin Goheen
Post staff reporter

Rudi Johnson's first carry Sunday against St. Louis produced a loss of six yards and a lot of rumbling from the rain-soaked crowd at Paul Brown Stadium.

By late in the fourth quarter, however, it was Johnson and the Bengals' ground game that produced yardage, took time off of the clock and gave kicker Shayne Graham the opportunity to seal a 19-10 win against the Rams. The Bengals rushed for a season-high 192 yards on 36 carries, with Johnson gaining 92 yards on 23 carries and scoring one touchdown, while backup DeDe Dorsey had 81 yards on just four carries. Kenny Watson had 10 yards on three carries but also caught six passes for 48 yards.

Dorsey had runs of 19, 45 and 14 yards on his first three carries - the 45-yarder coming on a lateral pass from quarterback Carson Palmer that Dorsey took around the right end and out-sprinted the St. Louis defense until safety Oshiomogho Atogwe pushed him out of bounds at the St. Louis 35-yard line.

It was the longest run of the season for the Bengals.

"Every time they give me a chance I'm going to make the most of it," said Dorsey, who is now averaging 9.1 yards per carry on 18 attempts this season. "I want to do whatever I can to score every time I get the ball."

Johnson wasn't having much sustained success until the clinching drive in the fourth quarter. He had just 44 yards on 17 carries until the Bengals handed him the ball on six straight plays starting from their own 25-yard line with 5:03 remaining to play. Johnson carried for gains of 6, 10, 9 and 22 yards on the first four attempts to take the Bengals to the Rams' 28 and burn 2:20 off of the clock before St. Louis called the first of its three timeouts. The 22-yard gain was his longest of the season.

The Rams eventually forced Graham to attempt a 46-yard field goal, which he made to give the Bengals a nine-point lead, meaning the Rams would need to score a touchdown and a field goal to come out with a win.

"I'm the closer," said Johnson. "Whenever the game is on the line that's what I want to do. I've been doing it all of my career and for that to happen it felt good. I take my hat off to the offensive line and J.J (fullback Jeremi Johnson). We stuck together for four quarters and we finished the game off."

Five of Johnson's first 17 carries went for no gain or negative yardage, including his first attempt of the game. Facing a third-and-2 from the 50 on the Bengals' first possession of the game, center Eric Ghiaciuc missed a block and allowed defensive tackle La'Roi Glover to get into the backfield and bring down Johnson just after he received the handoff from Palmer.

"You had to feel sorry for him a little bit," said head coach Marvin Lewis. "We didn't get the guys up front blocked and he took some hits right when he received the ball. He had a couple of good, productive runs today. We ran some more 'Rudi' style runs which helped us out."

So what is a 'Rudi' style run?

"It's a lot of power stuff, downhill," said Johnson. "It's smash-mouth, in-your-face type of football. That's what we did and we had success with it, especially when it counted."

Johnson's 1-yard touchdown run in the first quarter gave the Bengals a 7-0 lead. It was his third straight game with a touchdown run after being shut out of the end zone for the first 10 games this season. Johnson had scored 45 touchdowns in the previous four seasons but his only score in the first 10 games of the season had been on a 13-yard pass from Carson Palmer at Cleveland on Sept. 16. Johnson missed all or parts of five games this season with a hamstring injury.

"Any time we can get the running game going like we did and get things started like that it feels good," said left tackle Levi Jones. "It was good to see Rudi back at it and back returning to his form. Let's go straight ahead, get downhill and get a lot of yards after contact. He did a lot of that. We had some of our old plays from 2005 that were our bread and butter."[/quote]

[url="http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071210/SPT03/712100314/1022/RSS0302"]http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...14/1022/RSS0302[/url]

[quote][size=5][b]'Rudi runs' are huge for Bengals[/b][/size]
[size=3][b]Tailback calls himself a closer in the fourth quarter when he's pounding the ball to victory.[/b][/size]
By Chick Ludwig

Staff Writer

Monday, December 10, 2007

CINCINNATI — — Bengals tailback Rudi Johnson likes to think of himself as a closer.

Operating with a lead, he moves the chains and shuts out opponents in the fourth quarter.

Johnson turned into a sledgehammer on Sunday when he rushed 23 times for 92 yards and a touchdown.

"That's what I do," he said. "I close it. I've been doing it my entire career. I give credit to my offensive line and (fullback) Jeremi Johnson for getting it done and finishing the game."

The 5-foot-10, 214-pounder generated just 39 yards on 16 carries through three quarters. But the seven-year veteran finished fast, cranking out 53 yards in seven attempts in the fourth.

Johnson rushed six times for 48 yards on the drive that set up Shayne Graham's 46-yard field goal with 2:22 to go.

"You had to feel sorry for him a couple of times when we didn't get the guys blocked at the line of scrimmage and he's getting hit as he takes the handoff," head coach Marvin Lewis said. "But he had a couple good productive runs and got going.

"We went back and ran some more 'Rudi runs' in this game — some of the things we've been successful with in the past — and it made a big difference in his production."

What are "Rudi runs?"

"Power plays downhill, straight at you — smash-mouth, in-your-face football," Johnson said. "We ran the ball with success that last drive. It's coming off the ball, putting a hat on a hat and letting me run. It felt good."

Johnson's numbers are down this season (163 rushes, 481 yards, three TDs) because of a severe hamstring injury suffered at Seattle in Game 3. He's been hit often in the backfield this year, but hasn't lost his composure in the face of critics who claim he's lost a step.

"I hate it," he said about getting swarmed in the backfield when the blocks aren't crisp. "I've just got to stay with it and just keep pushing forward. Physically, I'm still not 100 percent, but I'm getting better each week.

"I just stuck with the plan. I didn't get frustrated even though I could've gotten frustrated. I stay cool, calm and collected, and at the end of the day, see what happens."[/quote]

I've loved Rudi ever since he took over for Dillon. The "Rudi" chants in the stadium, Rudi jerseys being worn everywhere, I'm pretty confident that everybody loved Rudi. But it doesn't take a genius to see that something is clearly not the same. It happens for a few games here and there and we can assume that the O-line had some problems, or not everybody was doing their job. But when it happens game in and game out, it is clearly Rudi.

I still love Rudi, and hope that he can get his shit together. But I also understand that this business is brutal, and it might be just time to pack Rudi up and ship him elsewhere before we can't get any value out of him.

Funny thing about all this is how everyone will suck Marvin's ass hairs if someone even thinks about dogging on him but never step aside to the fact that Marvin is the one deciding who starts. He decides that Rudi is the man. Don't put any blame on Rudi. He's just trying to do what is asked of him. If he's not effective then Marvin is the dumbass for starting him. Toss the blame that way.
MULLY
just saying

[quote name='Hint of Snow' post='606651' date='Dec 9 2007, 07:00 PM']Anyone who watched Rudi run before the last drive that don't think he needs to be sat are deluding themselves. He is not the same and I don't have hope that he ever will be.[/quote]

anyone with even the slightest knowledge of football knows, that you cannot run when the defense meets you in the backfield, and you damn sure cannot run when you are not getting blocks up the field especially when you are a power runner. Im a big fan of the triple threat we have right now with Rudi, Watson, and DeDe. hopefully we can add to that arsenal next season when we get Irons back!

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='606843' date='Dec 10 2007, 01:25 PM']yep.
[b]Irons, Dorsey and Watson could, should give the team a nice contingent next year..[/b]

BTW.. Im with the guys on here that dont understand the reason Dorsey didnt get alot of touches
in the second half... You'd think they'd want to ride that horse until he dropped ....[/quote]

I've said before... With Marvin's ego, I really don't think he's ready to give up on his #1 draft pick (C.Perry) and with a full HEALTHY off season to get stronger, he will mos def be a factor in who starts next year

Fact is Rudi rarely makes it past the linebackers. He had an OK day yesterday but he left alot of yards out there due to his lack of speed. Dorsey showed everyone what can happen if a quick agile back has an opening, instant chaos.

NAME.................ATT..YDS....AVG.....LNG.....TD.......FUM.....LST
Kenny Watson....119...531...4.5.......19........5.......... 1......0
Rudi Johnson......163...481...3.0.......22.......3.......... 3.......2
DeDe Dorsey.......18...164...9.1.......45.......0.......... 0.......0

I think the stats speak for themselves...The only catagories Rudi leads our team in are Attempts, fumbles and fumbles lost.

Watson has 44 less carries and 50 more yards, Dorsay only has 18 carries and over doubles Rudi's long

now again, I like rudi and think he should be on the team, but I think we need to use our other backs until they aren't successful

[quote name='MrDingleDangle' post='607116' date='Dec 10 2007, 03:58 PM']NAME.................ATT..YDS....AVG.....LNG.....TD.......FUM.....LST
Kenny Watson....119...531...4.5.......19........5.......... 1......0
Rudi Johnson......163...481...3.0.......22.......3.......... 3.......2
DeDe Dorsey.......18...164...9.1.......45.......0.......... 0.......0

I think the stats speak for themselves...The only catagories Rudi leads our team in are Attempts, fumbles and fumbles lost.

Watson has 44 less carries and 50 more yards, Dorsay only has 18 carries and over doubles Rudi's long

now again, I like rudi and think he should be on the team, but I think we need to use our other backs until they aren't successful[/quote]

Fitzpatrick has less INTs and less fumbles than Carson. :mellow:

I don`t know where you got your stats, but Kenny Watson had 2 fumbles,
and lost one (which was a back breaker) against the Stealers at home.

Also, Rudi has more yards per game than Watson this season.

The problem hasn`t been with Rudi so much, as it`s been with the O-line.
Marvin, his coaches and the Offensive players have said as much.
The other RBs get the ball in different situations and in different coverages.
No one is going to argue that Rudi is as fast as the others. But they're not
workhorses like Rudi either.

Rudi also averages a fumble every 102.4 carriess in his career.
Kenny Watson averages a fumble every 57.2 carries.

[quote name='NASTYNATI' post='606990' date='Dec 10 2007, 11:46 AM']anyone with even the slightest knowledge of football knows, that you cannot run when the defense meets you in the backfield, and you damn sure cannot run when you are not getting blocks up the field especially when you are a power runner. Im a big fan of the triple threat we have right now with Rudi, Watson, and DeDe. hopefully we can add to that arsenal next season when we get Irons back![/quote]
If the requiremnet is the slighest knowledge of football then you will just miss the point

[quote name='oldschooler' post='607133' date='Dec 10 2007, 02:21 PM']Fitzpatrick has less INTs and less fumbles than Carson. :mellow:

I don`t know where you got your stats, but Kenny Watson had 2 fumbles,
and lost one (which was a back breaker) against the Stealers at home.

Also, Rudi has more yards per game than Watson this season.

The problem hasn`t been with Rudi so much, as it`s been with the O-line.
Marvin, his coaches and the Offensive players have said as much.
The other RBs get the ball in different situations and in different coverages.
No one is going to argue that Rudi is as fast as the others. But they're not
workhorses like Rudi either.

Rudi also averages a fumble every 102.4 carriess in his career.
Kenny Watson averages a fumble every 57.2 carries.[/quote]

Watsons 2nd fumble which was the only one that was lost came after a catch, if u add those numbers he dominates rudi (322 yards to rudi's 103)

Did anyone watch the game?

Rudi sucked ass yesterday. Complete ass. Rudi does nothing to help our team get a lead, he does nothing to help our team come out strong and put a team away early. The only thing he is good at is wearing them down, so that at the end of the game, after relying on our passing game to get the lead with no help from the running game, he can run a few times for over 5 yards.

Whoopty doo

Cut his ass please. Should've done it last year.

Archived