Cleveland Browns

They strike again...

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3272450"]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3272450[/url]

Is this getting old to anyone else. Every off season the Browns go out and spend money and get quality veteran players to help their organization. I know our philosophy is a little different (build through the draft), but when are we ever going to go out and get someone worth a damn. Attempts are getting old, the fans want and deserve results!!!

And how are they not over the salary cap??? They sign half a roster of overpaid free agents, but we try to get one and their are "salary cap" issues??? Maybe we should stop franchising bench players with a handful of career starts and start doing something.

This could be the last year for me... how do you all feel???

[quote name='msharp16' post='638208' date='Mar 1 2008, 07:46 PM']They strike again...

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3272450"]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3272450[/url]

Is this getting old to anyone else. Every off season the Browns go out and spend money and get quality veteran players to help their organization. I know our philosophy is a little different (build through the draft), but when are we ever going to go out and get someone worth a damn. Attempts are getting old, the fans want and deserve results!!!

And how are they not over the salary cap??? They sign half a roster of overpaid free agents, but we try to get one and their are "salary cap" issues??? Maybe we should stop franchising bench players with a handful of career starts and start doing something.

This could be the last year for me... how do you all feel???[/quote]

I agree. The Browns are the ultimate example of success.

:unsure:

I understand your frustration, but what have the Browns accomplished? I just think they're a bad example in terms of their recent history. They appear to be going balls to the wall this year though, I'll give them that. Doesn't guarantee success though. Obviously the Bengal way doesn't exactly guarantee success either ^_^ so we'll see how it works out I guess. I do have to say that for the immediate future, the Browns could certainly be pretty good.

Its a 7 year deal and heres the Browns press release:

[quote][b]BROWNS SIGN WR DONTE’ STALLWORTH TO A SEVEN-YEAR CONTRACT[/b]

The Cleveland Browns have signed WR Donte’ Stallworth to a seven-year contract, the club announced today.

Stallworth, 6-0 and 200 lbs., is a six-year NFL veteran who has played in 84 games with New Orleans, Philadelphia and New England and has totaled 279 receptions for 4,213 yards (15.1 avg.) and 31 touchdowns. Last season with New England, Stallworth totaled 46 receptions for 697 yards and three touchdowns. Stallworth had a career-high 70 receptions and 945 yards with New Orleans in 2005.

“Donte’ will be the major addition to our offense this year,” said Phil Savage, Browns Senior Vice President and General Manager. “He will bring legitimate speed, quickness and playmaking ability to the receiving corps and add a different dimension to the skill players we already have in place. We're glad he's a Cleveland Brown.”

Stallworth, 27, originally was a first-round draft choice, 13th overall, by New Orleans in the 2002 NFL Draft. In his rookie season with the Saints, Stallworth established a career-high eight touchdown receptions.[/quote]

They also are trying to sign DE Travis LaBoy

[quote name='SF2' post='638233' date='Mar 1 2008, 08:35 PM']The Redskins did make the playoffs right??? Made it after losing one of the best players in the league??

Just checking.[/quote]

in the NFC, and they were promptly blown-the-bleep-out in the playoffs :boring:

[quote name='SF2' post='638233' date='Mar 1 2008, 07:35 PM']The Redskins did make the playoffs right??? Made it after losing one of the best players in the league??

Just checking.[/quote]
Barely, and with a HOF coach and all the bells and whistles money can buy. And then they got schooled by the Seahawks, a team we should have beaten during the regular season.

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='638216' date='Mar 1 2008, 08:02 PM']I agree. The Browns are the ultimate example of success.

I understand your frustration, but what have the Browns accomplished? I just think they're a bad example in terms of their recent history. They appear to be going balls to the wall this year though, I'll give them that. Doesn't guarantee success though. Obviously the Bengal way doesn't exactly guarantee success either ^_^ so we'll see how it works out I guess. I do have to say that for the immediate future, the Browns could certainly be pretty good.[/quote]

yea they did the same thing two years ago, balls to the wall on the first day. How's that worked out? They cut Ted Washington a couple of days ago, and McGinist has done next to nothing.

They got better players this time around for sure, but as you said, since when are the browns the "example of success"?

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' post='638239' date='Mar 1 2008, 08:43 PM']in the NFC, and they were promptly blown-the-bleep-out in the playoffs :boring:[/quote]

huh NFC

I remember a team in 2008 that won the superbowl from there, but yea the NFC

nice logic

i hate the browns to f'ing death!!!.........but damn are they doing great in FA....they were like 10-6 last season or something now they got guys like dante stallworth and 2 massive guys for the D Line. This ir rediculous im so pissed..im waiting for us to show life. But as always nothing to get excited about whatsoever and that will once again go into the season and shit maybe we will 7 games again.....im in a state of depression right now this is like the saddest post ever so please bare with me a little i need some big time support

[quote name='cantstop85' post='638244' date='Mar 1 2008, 08:58 PM']i hate the browns to f'ing death!!!.........but damn are they doing great in FA....they were like 10-6 last season or something now they got guys like dante stallworth and 2 massive guys for the D Line. This ir rediculous im so pissed..im waiting for us to show life. But as always nothing to get excited about whatsoever and that will once again go into the season and shit maybe we will 7 games again.....im in a state of depression right now this is like the saddest post ever so please bare with me a little i need some big time support[/quote]

It's not really a mystery how the Browns are so active. Their front office is vastly superior to the Bengals and they do a better job of managing the salary cap. The league wide cap number for each team is 116.7 million for 2008. Added or subtracted from that are carryover credits and debits. The Bengals had a couple million in debits from injuries. The Browns had 15 million in credits from unreached NLTBE incentives. Their longsnapper Ryan Pontbriand had 8 million dollars in incentives in his contract for last year. He didn't reach them, by design, and the money carried over to the team's 2008 account to be spent on other players.

Notice that the Browns didn't have to use the franchise tag on anyone. That's because they decide what a player is worth and pay them that or let them leave. The Bengals have wasted lots of cap space with the tags of Justin and Stacy because they can't get a reasonable deal done. The Bengals pay Reggie Kelly 3 mil per year while Winslow is cheap for the Browns since he was hurt his first couple years and missed his contract escalators.

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='638216' date='Mar 1 2008, 05:02 PM']I agree. The Browns are the ultimate example of success.

I understand your frustration, but what have the Browns accomplished? I just think they're a bad example in terms of their recent history. They appear to be going balls to the wall this year though, I'll give them that. Doesn't guarantee success though. Obviously the Bengal way doesn't exactly guarantee success either ^_^ so we'll see how it works out I guess. I do have to say that for the immediate future, the Browns could certainly be pretty good.[/quote]

i'm not saying that they have been a successful team in the past, by no means. But look what they have put together over the past few years. Pro Bowl Guard in Steibach(and bad luck on a Pro Bowl Center in Bentley), a Pro Bowl young left tackle in Thomas, a Pro Bowl Quarterback in Anderson and one in the waiting, maybe, in Quinn, washed up (ran all over the bengals twice) Jamal Lewis, Pro Bowler Edwards... and Winslow.... and Cribbs. Now throw in Stallworth, two massive DT's (that we wanted for added insult) and they are not done. And 10-6 could soon become 12-4 and North Division Champs.

Now look at us. We tried to sign an impact player, fucked that up. We drafted some great young talent (two of which haven't played in a couple of years) one is probably on a date with a ten year old, our star WR wants out, we franchise tag a backup, and i think i heard we just signed Palmer's mother to be the backup, backup, backup QB.

Yes, we made the playoffs a few years ago, but i'm starting to think that that was a fluke. No way is this team as good as that team was. But, who knows, maybe we will get lucky again. Why spend money on a team that people are on a waiting list for season tickets anyway.

[quote name='BENGALS666' post='638228' date='Mar 1 2008, 08:29 PM']Let them spend all their money on day one and two.. It's worked out so wonderfully for teams like The Redskins[/quote]

Right on. Hey you gotta build thru the draft. Lippencott is a fucking genius. 17 years of failure is no reason to think that we aren't on the right path. :o :o Mikey has it all figured out. The Browns have made horrible deals. They should only attempt to sign these guys. What they hell are they thinking??? :russian: :russian:

[quote name='msharp16' post='638208' date='Mar 1 2008, 07:46 PM']They strike again...

This could be the last year for me... how do you all feel???[/quote]

sounds like your a little to invested in what the browns are doing... we've been to the playoffs more recently than they have...

whats thier model for success? last place team schedule and a weak division?

still no playoffs...

im much happier with the bengals last 5 years than the browns last 5 years..

what free agent fixes the team that they got? rogers makes the linebackers cover better? rogers makes the oline block better? oh i see, rogers single handidly sheds defenders like rag dolls and sacks the QB on every play....not to mention once he gets stripper charges he woulda been banned for 6 season by goodell if he were a bengal.

what great free agents do they have? i dont understand what you like thats going on there?

[quote name='GoBengals' post='638286' date='Mar 1 2008, 10:33 PM']sounds like your a little to invested in what the browns are doing... we've been to the playoffs more recently than they have...

whats thier model for success? last place team schedule and a weak division?

still no playoffs...

im much happier with the bengals last 5 years than the browns last 5 years..

what free agent fixes the team that they got? rogers makes the linebackers cover better? rogers makes the oline block better? oh i see, rogers single handidly sheds defenders like rag dolls and sacks the QB on every play....not to mention once he gets stripper charges he woulda been banned for 6 season by goodell if he were a bengal.

what great free agents do they have? i dont understand what you like thats going on there?[/quote]

I agree with Go. Our offseaon is kicking their ass. :huh: :huh:

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='638242' date='Mar 1 2008, 08:56 PM']yea they did the same thing two years ago, balls to the wall on the first day. How's that worked out? They cut Ted Washington a couple of days ago, and McGinist has done next to nothing.

They got better players this time around for sure, but as you said, since when are the browns the "example of success"?[/quote]

and since when are the bengals?

[quote name='OneHeartBeat' post='638291' date='Mar 1 2008, 10:46 PM']and since when are the bengals?[/quote]

the bengals use same philosophy as the colts and patriots until last year, and build through the draft, etc, dont overpay, etc.. saying the browns arent an example of success doesnt mean a damn thing about the bengals..

but then again we have had far more success than they have the last 5 years...

[quote name='GoBengals' post='638292' date='Mar 1 2008, 10:48 PM']the bengals use same philosophy as the colts and patriots until last year, and build through the draft, etc, dont overpay, etc.. saying the browns arent an example of success doesnt mean a damn thing about the bengals..

but then again we have had far more success than they have the last 5 years...[/quote]

so.........did Odom leave town without a deal?? anyone??

SERIOUSLY no one can say anything about the browns right now they went 10-6 .they were right there to get in the playoffs they have probowlers many of them. and now they have 2 massive D lineman and stallworth to play with and go along with braylon winslow and derek the bitch.....if we did exactly what they did this offseason we would be shitting our pants in happiness right now saying that our Defensive line problem was over and bow down ...so lets just chill out and jw but this whole thread is about the browns why is it in the bengals forum and not the rest of the nfl forum////p.s -fuck the browns -_-

[quote name='cantstop85' post='638296' date='Mar 1 2008, 11:00 PM']SERIOUSLY no one can say anything about the browns right now they went 10-6 .they were right there to get in the playoffs they have probowlers many of them. and now they have 2 massive D lineman and stallworth to play with and go along with braylon winslow and derek the bitch.....if we did exactly what they did this offseason we would be shitting our pants in happiness right now saying that our Defensive line problem was over and bow down ...so lets just chill out and jw but this whole thread is about the browns why is it in the bengals forum and not the rest of the nfl forum////p.s -fuck the browns -_-[/quote]

you're right. I've been one who has defended this organization for the most part, but the more i see and hear, its becoming obvious that someone in our front office is clueless

The Browns are having a good offseason. They re-signed Derek Anderson and Jamal Lewis. They traded for Corey Williams and Shaun Rogers. They also signed Donte Stallworth as a free agent. They did give up a good deal. They traded away Leigh Bodden and won't draft until the 4th round.

They were once again very aggressive in free agency, just as they've been the past two years. Some of their past free agents have panned out (Steinbach, Fraley, Shaffer, Lewis, Jurevicius) while others have not (Bentley, Baxter, McGinest, Washington). I suspect the same will hold true for this year's group.

Archived