How is this possible?

[quote name='Phatcat' post='640257' date='Mar 5 2008, 10:28 AM']Oops, saw you edited your post. Yes the guys at the bottom of the 53 players used for the cap have minimal if not zero cap dead money. Now if a guy like Dexter was cut then the dead money becomes a factor. But for the offseason cap calculations its best to just assume the lowest guys on the salary ladder are displaced. Obviously, that will not be the case and a case could be made the players released created more savings than the rookies signed.[/quote]

yea, such as if JT was cut in favor of a rookie, we would save even more..

makes sense.. essentially we typically break even tho i assume

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='640263' date='Mar 5 2008, 10:36 AM']Is Hobknob taking the money we went over the cap with into consideration?[/quote]

yea, I think he took that off the top as some figures I've seen said we started with $34million, with us being $4million over last year, hence the $30million figure.

They may be saving money for after the draft. Typically a decent number of good players are let go after the draft to free up cap space and to make room for the new guy.

With the way these drunken sailors are spending money on FA, there may be some really good veterans available at a good price.

[quote name='SF2' post='640278' date='Mar 5 2008, 11:04 AM']They may be saving money for after the draft. Typically a decent number of good players are let go after the draft to free up cap space and to make room for the new guy.

With the way these drunken sailors are spending money on FA, there may be some really good veterans available at a good price.[/quote]

true...

[quote name='SF2' post='640278' date='Mar 5 2008, 11:04 AM']They may be saving money for after the draft. Typically a decent number of good players are let go after the draft to free up cap space and to make room for the new guy.

With the way these drunken sailors are spending money on FA, there may be some really good veterans available at a good price.[/quote]

good point

There may be a few (Roberston would be nice), but it seems like there are less teams than normal that are close to or above the cap this year. The cap went up so much that I think most NFL teams are in a similar position to the Bengals in that they have some money to spend but there are very few guys out there who are worth spending it on.

Unlike past years, i don't think there are hardly any teams who will have to cut people to slide under the cap so I really think that the guys who are late cuts will be cut more because the team just doesn't want them as opposed to cutting guys they want because they have to squeeze under the cap. From what I can tell almost everyone is comfortably under the cap.

To me the salary cap went up so teams can keep their own moreso than going on spending sprees for free agents..
Browns apparently hadnt spent much on retaining their own so they had the opportunity to acquire FA's ..
This is what they will live and die with for a few years so it better work.....
DA is their guy after signing on for 3 years....Im not big on him but hey thats their call...
They better damn well hope that Rogers comes to play game in game out...at 380lbs plus he's got some serious weight and health issues imo....

[b]With the way these drunken sailors are spending money on FA, there may be some really good veterans available at a good price.[/b][/quote]

[quote name='GoBengals' post='640280' date='Mar 5 2008, 11:08 AM'][b]true...[/b][/quote]

So why the hell does it have to be drunken sailors beeyotch?

Why can't it be "drunken Bengals site owners"?

:ninja:

[quote name='USN Bengal' post='640314' date='Mar 5 2008, 11:55 AM']So why the hell does it have to be drunken sailors beeyotch?

:ninja:[/quote]

come on man you know sailors and the NCO club go hand in hand... I know I was a sailor once myself! :D

[quote name='USN Bengal' post='640314' date='Mar 5 2008, 11:55 AM']So why the hell does it have to be drunken sailors beeyotch?

I agree it should have read "drunken homosexual sailors" because we all know about you navy guys and long ship rides without the oppisite sex on board.... :P

It's probably worth mentioning that after hearing repeatedly about how the Bengals were over the cap last year due to all the injuries, we didn't get hit with a debit on the 08 cap. The Bengals were one of two teams in the league with exactly 0 dollars in credits or debits. It's possible that we did spend over the cap and simply collected exactly as much in LTBE incentives that weren't actually earned.

In any event, it's best to simply ignore anything Hobson says about the salary cap. The fact he repeatedly says thins are worse than they are capwise, makes me think he's dishonest about it, but maybe the team actually believes what they tell him. That would be worrisome.

[quote name='sparky151' post='640323' date='Mar 5 2008, 12:05 PM']It's probably worth mentioning that after hearing repeatedly about how the Bengals were over the cap last year due to all the injuries, we didn't get hit with a debit on the 08 cap. The Bengals were one of two teams in the league with exactly 0 dollars in credits or debits. [b]It's possible that we did spend over the cap and simply collected exactly as much in LTBE incentives that weren't actually earned. [/b]

In any event, it's best to simply ignore anything Hobson says about the salary cap. The fact he repeatedly says thins are worse than they are capwise, makes me think he's dishonest about it, but maybe the team actually believes what they tell him. That would be worrisome.[/quote]

we spent $4million over the cap last year.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='640338' date='Mar 5 2008, 12:15 PM']there's been various sources to report it.[/quote]

Yes, I've seen the same reports so I was surprised when I saw the 0 dollar cap debit for the team. My guess is that they simply stopped spending when they hit the cap. Alternative explanation is that they knew who was going to miss their LTBE incentive and spent exactly that many dollars. In any case, the team did not exceed the 2007 cap.

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='640316' date='Mar 5 2008, 11:57 AM']come on man you know sailors and the NCO club go hand in hand... I know I was a sailor once myself! :D[/quote]

NCO Club?

No way!?

Once I made a deployment, I never drank any more... of course I didn't drink any less either...

;)

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='640317' date='Mar 5 2008, 11:58 AM']I agree it should have read "drunken homosexual sailors" because we all know about you navy guys and long ship rides without the oppisite sex on board.... :P[/quote]

Hmmm... well I wasn't a submariner but they've had women on ships since the 80's (not all ships, but some... and all ships except subs since the mid 90's) so I have no clue as to what you're talking about.

You however, seem to be an expert on taking long cruises with Navy guys only... are you trying to tell us something?

If you're thinking of coming out of the closet... don't.... I'll just shove you down the basement stairs!

:o

:lol:

[quote name='sparky151' post='640323' date='Mar 5 2008, 12:05 PM']It's probably worth mentioning that after hearing repeatedly about how the Bengals were over the cap last year due to all the injuries, we didn't get hit with a debit on the 08 cap. The Bengals were one of two teams in the league with exactly 0 dollars in credits or debits. It's possible that we did spend over the cap and simply collected exactly as much in LTBE incentives that weren't actually earned.

In any event, it's best to simply ignore anything Hobson says about the salary cap. The fact he repeatedly says thins are worse than they are capwise, makes me think he's dishonest about it, but maybe the team actually believes what they tell him. That would be worrisome.[/quote]

I thought the same thing. Because where I have the least info is with LTBE's. For the cap page I will stay conservative and assume the worst. Howeveer, I have not seen any credible source that says we went over the cap by $4MM. My estimation is $1.6MM (assuming a $1.5MM buffer).

I will hold to my estimate until I see otherwise.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='640325' date='Mar 5 2008, 12:07 PM']we spent $4million over the cap last year.[/quote]

See above. NOt claiming to BE THE EXPERT on all of this but I do spend a fair amount of time on this topic and talk to people in the know. I stand by the cap numbers and $4MM is close but in my estimation I already accounted for $1.5MM. By that estimation the cap page is off by $1MM. It could be, but if I am a betting man I say no.

Believe what you want: Hobnob, me or other sources. All is good I just want folks to challenge my estimation so I can make it better for all of us fans. Because the beat writers use math that is totally bogus.

[quote name='USN Bengal' post='640363' date='Mar 5 2008, 12:42 PM']NCO Club?

No way!?

Once I made a deployment, I never drank any more... of course I didn't drink any less either...

;)

Hmmm... well I wasn't a submariner but they've had women on ships since the 80's (not all ships, but some... and all ships except subs since the mid 90's) so I have no clue as to what you're talking about.

You however, seem to be an expert on taking long cruises with Navy guys only... are you trying to tell us something?

If you're thinking of coming out of the closet... don't.... I'll just shove you down the basement stairs!

:lol:[/quote]

<_<

[quote name='USN Bengal' post='640363' date='Mar 5 2008, 12:42 PM']NCO Club?

No way!?

;)

:lol:[/quote]

There is really no way to explain sharing a room (space) with 100 sailors and no windows (portholes) for fresh air! The sounds and smells are still with me over 30 years later! :lol:

I still am proud of my four years in the Navy. I learned a lot of life skills, too. AND I love my country, the USA!

[quote name='Rick' post='640439' date='Mar 5 2008, 03:46 PM']There is really no way to explain sharing a room (space) with 100 sailors and no windows (portholes) for fresh air! The sounds and smells are still with me over 30 years later! :lol:

I still am proud of my four years [color="#FF0000"]in the Navy. I learned a lot of life skills, too.[/color] AND I love my country, the USA![/quote]

haha.... anyone else reminded of the caveman/therapist commercial, here? :lol:

[quote name='Rick' post='640439' date='Mar 5 2008, 03:46 PM']There is really no way to explain sharing a room (space) with 100 sailors and no windows (portholes) for fresh air! The sounds and smells are still with me over 30 years later! :lol:

I still am proud of my four years in the Navy. I learned a lot of life skills, too. AND I love my country, the USA![/quote]

That sure is the truth, have to live it to believe it.

Jamie, what that guy was doing in that video was a common training technique... it looked like a young man simply wasting time by balancing a broom on the ships flight deck while the ship was underway.

It's SOOOOOO much more than that.

It's called wasting time by balancing a broom on the flight deck while underway and NOT getting into trouble for goofing off training.

LOL!

Archived